Notifications
Clear all

Doxycycline , Clindamycin

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/12/2014 1:17 pm

so i wanted to start accutane but this derm i went too said my acne isnt severe enough

so he prescribe me these , honestly i felt like he was a bad derm because all he did was gave me a paper to read , left the room came back in ask few questions , went back out , came back in and just told me to use these without even explaining anything ... feels like my $40 was only a 10 mins of him walking out and back in and only 3 min of asking couple questions but anyways can anyone explain your experience with these if you have used them before ? or how doxycycline should be taken

i read a few things online about not to take doxycycline with calcium ? but all food has calcium unless there talking about no calcium supplements

MemberMember
(@ccharms)

Posted : 12/12/2014 2:28 pm

I've taken doxycycline before (with topical clindamycin). I felt it worked decently, reducing the inflammation and severity of breakouts, but things were never perfect...

About the calcium, just avoid taking it within 2 hours or so of taking calcium supplements and/or dairy.

Apparently it's also better to take it on an empty stomach, but it made me kind of nauseous when I did that. I asked the pharmacist and they said the better absorption on an empty stomach thing was more theoretical than scientifically proven, so she said it was fine to take with meals (so long as they weren't dairy heavy).

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/12/2014 2:40 pm

I've taken doxycycline before (with topical clindamycin). I felt it worked decently, reducing the inflammation and severity of breakouts, but things were never perfect...

About the calcium, just avoid taking it within 2 hours or so of taking calcium supplements and/or dairy.

Apparently it's also better to take it on an empty stomach, but it made me kind of nauseous when I did that. I asked the pharmacist and they said the better absorption on an empty stomach thing was more theoretical than scientifically proven, so she said it was fine to take with meals (so long as they weren't dairy heavy).

my derm said take it 100mg twice everyday but how many hours spread apart should it be ? like im hungry right now and its only been 3 hours so im wondering if i can eat and my 2nd one ?

also is it okay to take turmeric or milk thistle while on doxycycline ?

MemberMember
(@ccharms)

Posted : 12/12/2014 8:19 pm

I was prescribed it once daily, but usually twice daily means ~ 12 hours apart.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/13/2014 11:14 am

I was prescribed it once daily, but usually twice daily means ~ 12 hours apart.

yeah i just found out by my pharmarcist

also i asked if taking milk thistle was fine while on it and they said it wouldnt interfere as long as its taken 2-3 apart

i read doxycycline can mess with your digestion system so im adding milk thistle to help

experienced some headaches but it went away next day my skin didnt get any initial breakouts so far and no new acne so lets see after a week :D