Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nature

40% or 55% Lactic

Hello all, I've been trying to get rid of a discoloration/hyperpigmentation (caused by acne/picking, my bad) on my forehead for a while. Tried a whitening cream and a glycolic acid lotion, while these two helped me get rid of other marks, this one seems to be tougher. It did get lighter over the months but it's still ugly, so after reading some I'd like to try lactic acid from makeupartistschoice.com (since you can order 1/2 oz there).

Now I'm wondering what strength I should take, the glycolic acid 5% lotion was good for my skin, but the glycolic acid 10% was very irritating (so I stopped using that one). I know you're only supposed to leave the lactic on for a few minutes while the lotions I used were night lotions, but it's just to give you an idea how my skin reacted.

I'm doubting between "40% Lactic Acid pH 2.9" and "55% Lactic Acid pH pH 2.4", if anyone here uses/used one of these, I'd like to know whether they helped with discoloration/hyperpigmentation or not and which one I should choose.

Thanks in advance.

I've used both of those peels. The 40% is so mild as to be almost ineffective. The 55% worked much better, but was still quite mild.

I prefer the Larachem peels now (www.larachem.com). They are a little stronger and a lot less expensive. A great bargain. I use the 50%.

I agree, 40% Lactic Acid is very mild. If you get a stronger one you could always weaken it with water, or perhaps a moisturizer. I am not sure one way or another if it worked for me since I use Tazorac and time has also passed. I don't use lactic acid anymore.

When in doubt, you should start slowly. I agree that 40% is very mild, but that's a good place to start if you are new to peels.