Notifications
Clear all

Dehydrated Skin From Cetaphil?

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/10/2014 10:52 pm

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Cetaphil claims to be gentle, however upon further research I discovered the ingredient sodium lauryl sulfate, yes.. SULFATE.

MemberMember
(@fvckacne)

Posted : 12/10/2014 11:03 pm

Cetaphil is the best one out there. Which one are you using?

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/10/2014 11:15 pm

Cetaphil is the best one out there. Which one are you using?

i've tried the gentle skin cleanser, and the cetaphil cleansing bar for dry sensitive skin. They both dry out my face immensely.

MemberMember
(@fvckacne)

Posted : 12/10/2014 11:16 pm

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/11/2014 1:34 am

What's your method? Water should be luke-warm only. No hot water. Use ring-finger tips and GENTLY use product for about 10-15 seconds. Don't scrub or try to get aggressive. The gentler you are, and not in a hurry, is best.

I used to use that same one (gentle cleanser). I found it less effective than the "daily facial cleanser" one though, even though that one is supposedly more harsh.

It takes practice to get the balance right. When your done, your face shouldn't feel tight, dry, look red, or irritated. If you see or feel any of those, you need to scale it back and either use less, or not go heavy-handed.

Edit: Cetaphil doesn't usually "foam up". A key thing I learned over time was that if your washing and it does start to foam up, that's a sign you're doing it wrong. There should be NO foaming, just a thin film of it. Then rinse off.

I used to use like 3-4 pumps when I was going mad haha. One single pump of product is sufficient, and will last you far longer. Let me just reiterate: do not use your hands in a "cupping" style rubbing motion to wash your face. Use finger tips and they should barely skim the surface - no pressure. Again, because this is so damn key: GENTLE, GENTLE, GENTLE. Many people cause way too much unnecessary irritation. They actually cause their own acne problems.

Finally, do not keep washing for more than 10-15 secs. It should take no longer than that. Also, do not go over the same area twice or keep rubbing that area. Only rub the wash stuff over any given area for no more than 1 second. Then move on to other areas. The goal is just to "coat" your face, basically, then rinse off.

Trust. I learned this the long, and hard way.

thanks for the advice. So you recommend that I use just 1 pump? Is that as big as a dime in area?

Also, what if I were to use the soap?

And when you say do not wash for more than 10-15 secs, do you mean don't rub the cetaphil around for more than that? Or do you mean do not use the water to wash the cetaphil off for more than 10-15 seconds?

Thanks again for the answers

MemberMember
(@kimchiimonsturr)

Posted : 12/11/2014 2:24 am

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Cetaphil claims to be gentle, however upon further research I discovered the ingredient sodium lauryl sulfate, yes.. SULFATE.

Almost every BIG name company has SLS, parabens, PEG, phthalates, synthetic colors, butylene glycol, dioxin, DEA, ect, that can accumulate in your body and cause immunotoxicity, organ toxicity, and even cancer. That's why it's important to check the label for these toxic ingredients. You can research each of these common toxic ingredients used in cosmetics for validation if you don't believe me.

EDIT:

This is my favorite site to check the ingredients for a certain cosmetic product; it analyzes the safety of the ingredients. http://cosdna.com/eng/

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/12/2014 7:25 am

Almost every BIG name company has SLS, parabens, PEG, phthalates, synthetic colors, butylene glycol, dioxin, DEA, ect, that can accumulate in your body and cause immunotoxicity, organ toxicity, and even cancer. That's why it's important to check the label for these toxic ingredients. You can research each of these common toxic ingredients used in cosmetics for validation if you don't believe me.

EDIT:

This is my favorite site to check the ingredients for a certain cosmetic product; it analyzes the safety of the ingredients. http://cosdna.com/eng/

thanks