Notifications
Clear all

Chlormadinone

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/08/2014 9:29 pm

The derivative of chlormadinone, chlormadinone acetate, is an anti-androgen and is the active ingredient in Belara birth control pill. Belara seems to be working well for me so far. I've done a little research on chlormadinone to see if it is at all similar to spironolactone which people can take in addition to birth control pills. Chlormadinone is offered by itself in certain countries, and some women seem to be taking it long term, but I'm not sure if that is a good option because it is a steroidal progestin. I'm not sure if you can get too much progestin from chlormadinone. Just looking for other people's thoughts. I like to research future hormonal treatments.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 12/09/2014 4:10 am

Anti-androgen therapy....I was googling this and it took me to dermnetnz.org.

II'm trying to find why my skin is so out of balance, since I had a hysterectomy a couple of months ago.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/19/2014 11:12 am

paigems, steroidal antiandrogens can be risky because they can cause a disruption to your adrenals and ultimately make your acne worse when you come off. For information on this phenomenon, check out the cyprotone acetate Wikipedia page, it explains under the Withdrawal heading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproterone_acetate#Withdrawal_effects .

noche, your issue could be a lack of estrogen, since estrogen is a big part of what keeps skin clear. Perhaps you could ask your doctor about estrogen patches or try an estrogen cream?

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 12/21/2014 2:34 am

My gynecologist, got me tested for my estrogen levels,I'm menopausal, before my hysterectomy my estrogen levels were really high, ayer that none, and the androgens really high.I asked him about hormone replacement, he said that he didn't believe in it.The reason he ordered those tests was that I complained about feeling really bad, plus my acne getting out of control.

He said to take natural over the counter hormones, to replace the estrogen.

I don't know what to use, because even over the counter have side effects or can interfere with something else.

I have hypothyroidism and high cholesterol.

Thank you for caring brenmc.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/21/2014 11:42 am

noche, I'd look into Emerita or Smoky Mountain Naturals, both of these brands are well reviewed for over-the-counter hormone creams.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/21/2014 12:20 pm

For some reason I can't quote?

brenmc, aren't most anti-androgens on the market today steroidal? The only one I can think of that is not is flutamide, and that is even more risky because it can cause liver damage.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/21/2014 4:34 pm

Paigems, I cant quote either, hope that's resolved soon. I thought spiro wasnt steroidal, but then a quick google search led me to this: I think this warrants more research and not just anecdotal or message board chatter. From my research, flutamide is only harmful to the liver in high doses; it is prescribed in 1000-2000mgs for prostate cancer. Acne doses are much lower at 125-250mgs or 500mgs for severe cases of PCOS. However, I still think it would be advisable to avoid alcohol while on flutamide, just as one avoids sodium and potassium on spiro. There are risks with all pharmaceuticals (and many herbal supplements as well).

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 12/21/2014 7:28 pm

Thank you both paigens and brenmc....Thank you so much ,I will look into that.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/22/2014 1:45 pm

Paigems, I cant quote either, hope that's resolved soon. I thought spiro wasnt steroidal, but then a quick google search led me to this: I think this warrants more research and not just anecdotal or message board chatter. From my research, flutamide is only harmful to the liver in high doses; it is prescribed in 1000-2000mgs for prostate cancer. Acne doses are much lower at 125-250mgs or 500mgs for severe cases of PCOS. However, I still think it would be advisable to avoid alcohol while on flutamide, just as one avoids sodium and potassium on spiro. There are risks with all pharmaceuticals (and many herbal supplements as well).

Finally quoting is fixed!

I've read a bit about flutamide over on the soulcyters forum for PCOS and I think there were two instances that I saw liver damage reported. Some people there seem to take it without issue, but then some have bad side effects like fatigue and gastro upset. I suffered from horrible fatigue on yasmin, yaz, and spiro, and it's a side effect I don't think I could deal with long term.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/22/2014 6:53 pm

I understand. If your acne is severe, would you ever consider accutane? I know there are side effects on that as well, but I'm just thinking that at least the side effects would only be during the course, rather than ongoing.

Finally quoting is fixed!

I've read a bit about flutamide over on the soulcyters forum for PCOS and I think there were two instances that I saw liver damage reported. Some people there seem to take it without issue, but then some have bad side effects like fatigue and gastro upset. I suffered from horrible fatigue on yasmin, yaz, and spiro, and it's a side effect I don't think I could deal with long term.