Notifications
Clear all

Ortho Tri Cyclen

MemberMember
(@laurmo)

Posted : 12/08/2014 6:53 pm

Hey guys,

I have mild to moderate cystic acne, mainly on my cheeks/jawline. I went on Ortho Tri Cylcen 3 months ago because I couldn't stand the thought of any more scarring on my face and it was consuming my mind. Now that I am at the 3rd month, I am extremely discouraged because it has not helped my acne. BUT it has not made it worse. It's pretty much the same. Also I experienced zero side effects except for sore boobs the first two months.

I could cry I'm so fed up with this... the person I go to (she's an RN not a dermatologist) said that she suggests that if the BCP does not help me by month 3, that I should start on an antibiotic, but I am afraid to put any more crap in my body. I'm also terrified that my skin will freak out if I get off of BCP.

Do you guys think that since the BCP didn't help OR make my acne worse, that maybe it's a bacteria issue instead of hormonal? I wash my face and am clean as can be when it comes to that, but idk anymore. Also, should I give the BCP more time?

Please respond if you have any input, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@hapamommy)

Posted : 12/22/2014 6:56 pm

You should give the birth control time and if it doesn't work you just need to switch to another one. There are so many benefits to the BCP besides helping with hormonal acne. I wouldn't worry too much about taking antibiotics but it's usally a short course 1-3 months and the side effects aren't so bad after the firet couple weeks especially if you use sunscreen and take probiotics to balance out you gut.

I had mild acne and went on the BCP for 10 years until I decided to have children. After having my baby I had to go back in retinoids and the acne got worse on my forehead and wouldn't go away. After only one week of doxy the acne was gone and I was clear again...

I would try BCP, retinoids and antibiotics because the only other option is Accutane and it's incredibly hash and drying.

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 12/30/2014 10:51 am

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for years and it didn't seem to do jack squat for my face. Got off of it about two years ago because I lost my insurance and didn't want to pay $130 for it. My cycle got wacky and I seem to be prone to ovarian cysts, so I got back on Tri-Sprintec. I think it's helped some with my acne, mainly because I think I have a problem with excess androgens. I'm also on spiro (100 mg a day...been on it for years), and the combo of the two seems to help me mentally -- not as angry and quick tempered as I was -- as well as physically -- my face is much less oily. I'm on my second month of being back on the pill, but I was told to give any BCP at least three full months before making any decisions. If I may ask, what's your diet like? I find that dairy products influence my acne.

MemberMember
(@laurmo)

Posted : 01/02/2015 6:05 pm

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for years and it didn't seem to do jack squat for my face. Got off of it about two years ago because I lost my insurance and didn't want to pay $130 for it. My cycle got wacky and I seem to be prone to ovarian cysts, so I got back on Tri-Sprintec. I think it's helped some with my acne, mainly because I think I have a problem with excess androgens. I'm also on spiro (100 mg a day...been on it for years), and the combo of the two seems to help me mentally -- not as angry and quick tempered as I was -- as well as physically -- my face is much less oily. I'm on my second month of being back on the pill, but I was told to give any BCP at least three full months before making any decisions. If I may ask, what's your diet like? I find that dairy products influence my acne.

Hi Jabberwocky80,

My diet is nothing special other than I try to not drink soft drinks. I drink lemon water, organic milk, black tea, green tea, and sometimes lemonade. I do include dairy in my diet because I have found that it does not affect my acne and well, i love dairy lol - cheese, milk, all of it so I don't worry about staying away from it. I have stayed on the BCP because frankly I am too afraid to see how my skin will react when I get off of it. I started taking a multivitamin a little around the 3rd month of BCP and thats when my acne started clearing up. I am mostly just dealing with hyper pigmentation, which if you have any suggestions on that let me know! So I am now wondering if I was deficient in something.

MemberMember
(@grace-embraced)

Posted : 12/26/2015 7:41 pm

Birth control and aldactone acne treatment

I am hoping to receive some feedback from anyone who is currently receiving or has received treatment for acne by using birth control and aldactone.

My daughter who is almost 18 has been battling acne since 8th grade. She tried antibiotics, topicals, natural treatments (that did help for awhile), and diet changes. She continued to break out mainly on her forehead (large pustules) and cheeks (some cysts and pustules). She also had acne on her back and chest.

In mid-September, her doctor prescribed birth control (Ortho tri cyclen) not just because of acne, But also for her heavy periods and PMS symptoms.She had an initial breakout that lasted about 6 weeks. She saw some clearing on her back and chest, forehead cleared up nicely, but her cheeks were still breaking out.

She just went in for her 3 month checkup and her doctor added 100mg/day of aldactone.

I am praying this works for her! She also has been using Retin A 3 times per week for about 1 month.

Have any of you had success or failure with this treatment? I'd love to hear your feedback!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/26/2015 8:34 pm

50 minutes ago, grace-embraced said:

Birth control and aldactone acne treatment

I am hoping to receive some feedback from anyone who is currently receiving or has received treatment for acne by using birth control and aldactone.

My daughter who is almost 18 has been battling acne since 8th grade. She tried antibiotics, topicals, natural treatments (that did help for awhile), and diet changes. She continued to break out mainly on her forehead (large pustules) and cheeks (some cysts and pustules). She also had acne on her back and chest.

In mid-September, her doctor prescribed birth control (Ortho tri cyclen) not just because of acne, But also for her heavy periods and PMS symptoms.She had an initial breakout that lasted about 6 weeks. She saw some clearing on her back and chest, forehead cleared up nicely, but her cheeks were still breaking out.

She just went in for her 3 month checkup and her doctor added 100mg/day of aldactone.

I am praying this works for her! She also has been using Retin A 3 times per week for about 1 month.

Have any of you had success or failure with this treatment? I'd love to hear your feedback!

I have done both treatment separately. BC was an utter nightmare for me so i will never do it again. I am currently 3 + months into aldactone (1st month @50 and the last 2 months at 100 mg). I am seeing improvement but it is not linear so i will clear up only to break out horrendously and so it has been for my entire time on it. I think my diet makes things worse as when i eat like crap i break out worse. I hear it can take up to 8 months to get some level of consistency so don't give up.

MemberMember
(@dani_s)

Posted : 12/27/2015 4:08 pm

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen and my skin got worse and broke out like crazy for the first 2/3 months. I mean really terrible, in places I'd never had it before. I would wait because afterwards I had really nice clear skin that was pretty much perfect. I had to go off for other reasons but if you're like me it will clear up and is totally worth it in that sense.

MemberMember
(@laurmo)

Posted : 01/20/2016 10:44 am

For those who are possibly still reading this, Ortho Tri Cyclen ended up working great for me and I am going to post a review on the Ortho Tri Cyclone Review page!