Notifications
Clear all

Saw Palmetto Initial Breakout?

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/04/2014 7:39 pm

Is it possible to have an initial breakout from saw palmetto? I started taking half the dose (160mg) every day 10 days ago, and have gotten 5 new big breakouts since then. I tend to get acne in the second half of my cycle, but even this seems like a lot considering my norm amount a month is 4 nodules a month or so, and now I'm up to 7 and the month isn't even over. I don't know what to do now. I know some people might say 10 days isn't enough to do anything, but all hormonal treatments so far have affected me quickly. When I tried Diane it gave me a ton of breakouts within the first week, just like it cleared me up within the first week when I was in my teens. Inositol also made things much better in a matter of a couple weeks.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/05/2014 7:53 pm

Had you recently stopped something else you were taking, ate sugar, or changed anything else, even something small?

Is it possible to have an initial breakout from saw palmetto? I started taking half the dose (160mg) every day 10 days ago, and have gotten 5 new big breakouts since then. I tend to get acne in the second half of my cycle, but even this seems like a lot considering my norm amount a month is 4 nodules a month or so, and now I'm up to 7 and the month isn't even over. I don't know what to do now. I know some people might say 10 days isn't enough to do anything, but all hormonal treatments so far have affected me quickly. When I tried Diane it gave me a ton of breakouts within the first week, just like it cleared me up within the first week when I was in my teens. Inositol also made things much better in a matter of a couple weeks.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/05/2014 11:43 pm

Had you recently stopped something else you were taking, ate sugar, or changed anything else, even something small?

I lowered my inositol dosage by half a few weeks ago because i was sleeping 13 hours a day, but i'm back on full dose for about a week now.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/06/2014 1:20 am

I think inositol is quite volatile. I know when I increased my dose in the past, I got a breakout and my period (not on schedule). I'd increase your saw palmetto to two caps a day, then, if your acne gets worse, you can cut it out now, rather than a month or two from now. Most people take 2-4 caps, from the reviews I've read.

I lowered my inositol dosage by half a few weeks ago because i was sleeping 13 hours a day, but i'm back on full dose for about a week now.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/07/2014 8:31 pm

I think inositol is quite volatile. I know when I increased my dose in the past, I got a breakout and my period (not on schedule). I'd increase your saw palmetto to two caps a day, then, if your acne gets worse, you can cut it out now, rather than a month or two from now. Most people take 2-4 caps, from the reviews I've read.

I'm scared to do that because I don't want to get a huge amount of breakouts that will set me back by at least a year. They leave marks that last for years and I don't know if I can risk that :/ Inositol seems to help though, I don't think it ever caused more breakouts for me, it's worked well so far.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/07/2014 8:42 pm

I understand! It was just a suggestion based on other posts and research I've done online.

How much inositol do you take? If it's helping your acne, why add SP? Maybe you need to increase your inositol dose?

I'm scared to do that because I don't want to get a huge amount of breakouts that will set me back by at least a year. They leave marks that last for years and I don't know if I can risk that :/ Inositol seems to help though, I don't think it ever caused more breakouts for me, it's worked well so far.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/08/2014 12:48 am

I understand! It was just a suggestion based on other posts and research I've done online.

How much inositol do you take? If it's helping your acne, why add SP? Maybe you need to increase your inositol dose?

I'm taking Jarrow's formula inositol powder, 1/4 teaspoon like the bottle says, i split it into 1/8 in the morning and 1/8 at night. It helped a lot with my acne but it didn't completely get rid of it. It went from 15 nodules a month to 4 (thought I wasn't sure if 15 nodules a month was temporary anyway due to me getting adjusted to the pill). I wasn't sure if I could take higher dosage of inositol, plus I've read here that taking several different supplements is better than a high dose of one.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/08/2014 1:54 am

I just saw that you were on Yaz. I also saw your pictures in your Yaz log post; are you sure you have nodular acne, because the breakouts don't look that severe? Also, you're right, your increase in breakouts is very likely from Yaz, since it has the same antiandrogen as spiro (many people get an initial breakout from spiro). If you search the soulcyster PCOS support forum, you'll see many women take much higher doses of inositol, 2000-4000mgs in some cases. I am not necessarily recommending that, I'm just saying I would try a subtle increase before adding a new supplement. Adding saw palmetto when you are taking Yaz could be an issue, I have read on soulcysters that SP may affect birth control. The best thing that you can do is keep a log, track what you eat as well. Inositol may cause a worsening of insulin resistance symptoms if you eat processed sugar or hard alcohol or wine.

I'm taking Jarrow's formula inositol powder, 1/4 teaspoon like the bottle says, i split it into 1/8 in the morning and 1/8 at night. It helped a lot with my acne but it didn't completely get rid of it. It went from 15 nodules a month to 4 (thought I wasn't sure if 15 nodules a month was temporary anyway due to me getting adjusted to the pill). I wasn't sure if I could take higher dosage of inositol, plus I've read here that taking several different supplements is better than a high dose of one.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/08/2014 6:34 pm

I'm not sure what to call these, they're about pea size and hurt a lot, also can linger for months afterwards, and the marks last for months if not years, and the tiny holes i'm guessing are permanent. I tried to cut back on sugar a lot, but I still eat something sweet everyday mostly because i'm always busy to have a full meal and I'm tired of starving myself. Do you think I should stop saw palmetto and increase inositol instead? I had twice as much acne last month, all in the week I was taking saw palmetto, than my usual month. I'm starting to wonder if it's due to the free testosterone that apparently increases with saw palmetto.

I just saw that you were on Yaz. I also saw your pictures in your Yaz log post; are you sure you have nodular acne, because the breakouts don't look that severe? Also, you're right, your increase in breakouts is very likely from Yaz, since it has the same antiandrogen as spiro (many people get an initial breakout from spiro). If you search the soulcyster PCOS support forum, you'll see many women take much higher doses of inositol, 2000-4000mgs in some cases. I am not necessarily recommending that, I'm just saying I would try a subtle increase before adding a new supplement. Adding saw palmetto when you are taking Yaz could be an issue, I have read on soulcysters that SP may affect birth control. The best thing that you can do is keep a log, track what you eat as well. Inositol may cause a worsening of insulin resistance symptoms if you eat processed sugar or hard alcohol or wine.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/09/2014 11:15 am

My experience with this forum , which honestly I have just come to learn, is not to take what anyone says on here too seriously. You must always follow your gut! I have stuck with treatments that worked for others on here or that were recommended to me, even when my skin was getting progressively worse. Even with me, I recommended you increase your saw palmetto dose initially because I wasnt aware you were on birth control or had been seeing results with inositol! If you feel like saw palmetto is making your skin worse, stop. It is only in rare cases that something makes your skin a lot worse before it gets better. Most of the reviews of saw palmetto I have read do not mention an initial breakout. I dont know how much inositol in grams is in your formula, but most of the statistics WishClean quoted in her inositol thread are from trials in which the subjects took much higher doses of inositol. Also, read this review here: http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php/318411-Seriously-try-Inositol-it-has-cleared-my-Acne . I was initially planning on weaning off of inositol, but since starting that process, my skin has gotten worse, so I am back up to 600mgs. If I see improvement, Im planning on upping my dose. I would advise the same, if you see improvement, continue; and if things get worse, discontinue. I hope this helps.

I'm not sure what to call these, they're about pea size and hurt a lot, also can linger for months afterwards, and the marks last for months if not years, and the tiny holes i'm guessing are permanent. I tried to cut back on sugar a lot, but I still eat something sweet everyday mostly because i'm always busy to have a full meal and I'm tired of starving myself. Do you think I should stop saw palmetto and increase inositol instead? I had twice as much acne last month, all in the week I was taking saw palmetto, than my usual month. I'm starting to wonder if it's due to the free testosterone that apparently increases with saw palmetto.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/09/2014 1:40 pm

My experience with this forum , which honestly I have just come to learn, is not to take what anyone says on here too seriously. You must always follow your gut! I have stuck with treatments that worked for others on here or that were recommended to me, even when my skin was getting progressively worse. Even with me, I recommended you increase your saw palmetto dose initially because I wasnt aware you were on birth control or had been seeing results with inositol! If you feel like saw palmetto is making your skin worse, stop. It is only in rare cases that something makes your skin a lot worse before it gets better. Most of the reviews of saw palmetto I have read do not mention an initial breakout. I dont know how much inositol in grams is in your formula, but most of the statistics WishClean quoted in her inositol thread are from trials in which the subjects took much higher doses of inositol. Also, read this review here: http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php/318411-Seriously-try-Inositol-it-has-cleared-my-Acne . I was initially planning on weaning off of inositol, but since starting that process, my skin has gotten worse, so I am back up to 600mgs. If I see improvement, Im planning on upping my dose. I would advise the same, if you see improvement, continue; and if things get worse, discontinue. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your advice! I agree with you on the gets worse before it gets better thing. Birth control has been a miracle cure for me in the past, and when it has it never made it worse first, in fact, it used to always clear me right away. Now even though I've been on Yaz for a year, it still seems to either not be doing anything or making it worse - hence the 8 huge breakouts when I decreased Inositol. I feel like if Yaz was working that wouldn't have happened, considering that's the amount of breakouts I was getting, if not less than that, the months I was actually off Yaz. At this point I'm so afraid of it getting worse though I'm actually scared of coming off Yaz. When I did come off of it a year ago my face was okay for a month (1 big breakout) but then got worse and worse in the next 2 months so I decided to go back on it. Maybe I should've given it more time. I didn't think of increasing Inositol because I didn't know it would be safe to take higher dose than that instructed on the bottle. Now that I know people are doing that I might start to as well. Have you tried natural progesterone cream?

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/09/2014 2:35 pm

Yes, progesterone cream was one of the treatments someone on here recommended to me and I took it religiously for three months to no relief. I dont think that progesterone cream would necessarily be the answer for you because inositol raises your progesterone already, so why add something else to your regimen when you are already confused if what you are doing is helping or hurting?

If you decide to go off of birth control, I always recommend purchasing a pill cutter and weaning off slowly (over the course of a few months). Is your skin oily? Do you have B.O? Do you have an increase in stray facial hairs or have to shave more frequently? If you have some of these symptoms, you likely have high androgens, which is the most common cause of acne. If Yaz isnt working for you, and youre not adverse to trying birth control, you could try Diane 35 (sometimes called Dianette). I took it off and on for years and it was very effective. However, be prepared to wean off of it slowly and have a backup when you come off; my skin was significantly worse when I quit it cold turkey several years ago. Then I went back on it to get things clear and onto spiro, then I weaned off of Diane for almost a full year, and remained on spiro. I am choosing not to go back on birth control myself though because I do not want to take artificial hormones and I think birth control, usually, causes more problems in the long run.

I would consider dropping saw palmetto since you think its making your acne worse, then I would consider increasing your inositol, then possibly weaning off of Yaz. If none of these things make your acne worse.

Thank you so much for your advice! I agree with you on the gets worse before it gets better thing. Birth control has been a miracle cure for me in the past, and when it has it never made it worse first, in fact, it used to always clear me right away. Now even though I've been on Yaz for a year, it still seems to either not be doing anything or making it worse - hence the 8 huge breakouts when I decreased Inositol. I feel like if Yaz was working that wouldn't have happened, considering that's the amount of breakouts I was getting, if not less than that, the months I was actually off Yaz. At this point I'm so afraid of it getting worse though I'm actually scared of coming off Yaz. When I did come off of it a year ago my face was okay for a month (1 big breakout) but then got worse and worse in the next 2 months so I decided to go back on it. Maybe I should've given it more time. I didn't think of increasing Inositol because I didn't know it would be safe to take higher dose than that instructed on the bottle. Now that I know people are doing that I might start to as well. Have you tried natural progesterone cream?

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/10/2014 1:22 am

Yeah I've used Diane 35 as a teen, and Yasmin after that. They cleared me up well but I can't take them now because after I hit 20, each time I tried them I got bad side effects like shortness of breath and panic attacks. In general I don't think I have symptoms of high androgens, but I do break out each time when I have higher sex drive. I can always very accurately predict my acne days in advance because that's when it happens. My skin seems more oily now after going on saw palmetto. And I have another painful breakout growing on the side of my chin, even though this is usually the only time of the month I'm clear (week after period). I don't think I have more hair than before, but then again I've never really had much, and I'm blonde so its colorless and hard to see so who knows. I really don't get saw palmetto. Yeah it decreases DHT but it increases testosterone in the body. How does it even work for some people? So far it doesn't seem to for me. Are you sure I shouldn't wait more? I missed my 23rd pill by one day, so I took 2 Yaz pills on day 24 at the same time, i was wondering if that was causing me to break out, but would that even be enough? Gah I'm really confused. On one hand I'm scared of saw palmetto making matters worse, on the other hand I don't want to miss out on something that might potentially be my cure. But at this point should I assume it's not going to be SP?

Yes, progesterone cream was one of the treatments someone on here recommended to me and I took it religiously for three months to no relief. I dont think that progesterone cream would necessarily be the answer for you because inositol raises your progesterone already, so why add something else to your regimen when you are already confused if what you are doing is helping or hurting?

If you decide to go off of birth control, I always recommend purchasing a pill cutter and weaning off slowly (over the course of a few months). Is your skin oily? Do you have B.O? Do you have an increase in stray facial hairs or have to shave more frequently? If you have some of these symptoms, you likely have high androgens, which is the most common cause of acne. If Yaz isnt working for you, and youre not adverse to trying birth control, you could try Diane 35 (sometimes called Dianette). I took it off and on for years and it was very effective. However, be prepared to wean off of it slowly and have a backup when you come off; my skin was significantly worse when I quit it cold turkey several years ago. Then I went back on it to get things clear and onto spiro, then I weaned off of Diane for almost a full year, and remained on spiro. I am choosing not to go back on birth control myself though because I do not want to take artificial hormones and I think birth control, usually, causes more problems in the long run.

I would consider dropping saw palmetto since you think its making your acne worse, then I would consider increasing your inositol, then possibly weaning off of Yaz. If none of these things make your acne worse.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/10/2014 2:14 am

I just read a few threads on soulcysters and I think I'm just going to stop Saw Palmetto. I think it just increases free testosterone and that's why it's making me break out more. Perhaps it works for some women but I think if I'm getting adverse effects now it probably won't get better. Someone also mentioned that if you get adverse effects you should stop right away. Perhaps my problem is free testosterone then. This makes sense because Inositol helps me, and it actually decreases free testosterone (from what I understood). I'm going to increase my Inositol dosage. Do you think I should do that right away or wait till it balances back out after me coming off of saw palmetto?

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/10/2014 11:47 am

I would wait 5-7 days to increase inositol after you've dropped SP, just to be sure SP is out of your system and you're not having any rebound effects (a spike in testosterone as a result of discontinuing SP). That way you can observe the effects of increased inositol better. But if you feel especially eager, follow your gut. Then increase gradually by half a dose. If you took 500mgs of inositol, I would increase it to 750mgs, for example.

Edit: I want to add a few things that I have learned about inositol. It is advisable to avoid all artificial sugar when on a glucose stabilizer like metformin or inositol. This means no hard alcohol, pop, store bought candy bars, etc You said you crave something sweet every day, well, buy or make something sweetened with raw cane sugar, honey, or maple syrup instead of processed food. There are some studies that state caffeine depletes inositol, so try decaf or at least do not take inositol within two hours of having coffee. Finally, inositol is best consumed on an empty stomach, so take it two hours before a meal. Good luck!

I just read a few threads on soulcysters and I think I'm just going to stop Saw Palmetto. I think it just increases free testosterone and that's why it's making me break out more. Perhaps it works for some women but I think if I'm getting adverse effects now it probably won't get better. Someone also mentioned that if you get adverse effects you should stop right away. Perhaps my problem is free testosterone then. This makes sense because Inositol helps me, and it actually decreases free testosterone (from what I understood). I'm going to increase my Inositol dosage. Do you think I should do that right away or wait till it balances back out after me coming off of saw palmetto?

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/11/2014 6:18 am

Thanks for the info! I think I will wait a couple weeks or so before increasing Inositol. I don't ever drink alcohol or have caffeine, all I ever drink is water, so that part is covered. Would substituting chocolate for fruit work? I don't know if I can do that completely lol, my love for chocolate is too great. But I have been trying to do that in the past month, like buying bananas instead of extra chocolate bars. I also do take Inositol on empty stomach especially in the morning since I don't really eat breakfast, I get too busy.

I would wait 5-7 days to increase inositol after you've dropped SP, just to be sure SP is out of your system and you're not having any rebound effects (a spike in testosterone as a result of discontinuing SP). That way you can observe the effects of increased inositol better. But if you feel especially eager, follow your gut. Then increase gradually by half a dose. If you took 500mgs of inositol, I would increase it to 750mgs, for example.

Edit: I want to add a few things that I have learned about inositol. It is advisable to avoid all artificial sugar when on a glucose stabilizer like metformin or inositol. This means no hard alcohol, pop, store bought candy bars, etc You said you crave something sweet every day, well, buy or make something sweetened with raw cane sugar, honey, or maple syrup instead of processed food. There are some studies that state caffeine depletes inositol, so try decaf or at least do not take inositol within two hours of having coffee. Finally, inositol is best consumed on an empty stomach, so take it two hours before a meal. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/11/2014 10:34 am

Try Green and Blacks organic dark chocolate instead. I break out from everything, but not this.

Keep me posted with your progress. :)

Thanks for the info! I think I will wait a couple weeks or so before increasing Inositol. I don't ever drink alcohol or have caffeine, all I ever drink is water, so that part is covered. Would substituting chocolate for fruit work? I don't know if I can do that completely lol, my love for chocolate is too great. But I have been trying to do that in the past month, like buying bananas instead of extra chocolate bars. I also do take Inositol on empty stomach especially in the morning since I don't really eat breakfast, I get too busy.

Edit: I want to add a few things that I have learned about inositol. It is advisable to avoid all artificial sugar when on a glucose stabilizer like metformin or inositol. This means no hard alcohol, pop, store bought candy bars, etc¦ You said you crave something sweet every day, well, buy or make something sweetened with raw cane sugar, honey, or maple syrup instead of processed food. There are some studies that state caffeine depletes inositol, so try decaf or at least do not take inositol within two hours of having coffee. Finally, inositol is best consumed on an empty stomach, so take it two hours before a meal. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/19/2014 11:52 pm

UPDATE: I didn't break out for 12 days into the new cycle, today is day 13 and I have one cyst on my chin (it seems half dormant) and one whitehead, that's it! I really hope this keeps up. I'm taking a tiny bit more inositol powder (the top of the spoon is round instead of flat), so far good results especially compared to last month. Will update more :D

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/20/2014 8:12 pm

It's also probably because you stopped saw palmetto. . .

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 12/20/2014 8:16 pm

Yeah I think so. Also a week into saw palmetto I would have so much oil on my face when I woke up in the morning, yuuuck. And, if you think about it, decreasing free testosterone would also decrease DHT because there would be less testosterone to bind to receptors (or however that works lol) and create DHT, no?