Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
just_imagine82

new Accutane user!!

Hi everyone!!

I'm very excited because after rounds of antibiotics (oral and topical) and a whole bunch of the other usual stuff, I finally got Accutane! I'm 22 btw and weigh 120lbs, so I'm on 40mg right now to start... getting upped to 60mg in 4 weeks I think.

So I'm on Day 4 now and not noticing anything yet. Of course my imagination is playing tricks on me and I keep *thinking* my lips are drier, or that my face is worse, but in reality it's pretty much the same so far...

I was wondering, is it okay to spot treat my pimples still while on Accutane? What about using something like Neosporin? I want to continue to be gentle with my skin (no BP!) but I also would like to clear up any initial breakout I may have as fast as I can!

On that note, I'm kind of terrified of the breakout... do most people get it? When does it usually occur? The pharmacist told me my skin would be worse for the first 2 weeks.. is this accurate for most people?

When can I expect a noticeable difference in dryness?

Sorry so many questions, I'm really excited about this Accutane journey! Thanks for reading/responding... good luck to everyone! smile.gif

Mae

Hi Mae.

Im on week four right now, I noticed my lips getting drier in the second week, although I weigh 80kg and im on 40mg/day.

I do spot treat my pimples still, I dont see the harm as my skin has not dried out yet - but when it does I don't think its a good idea.

I did get a breakout about two weeks ago, and I kinda broke out bad for a week, im just starting to get over it now.

Good luck.

well.. currently i'm in my 3rd month of 'tane, i remembered that my lips got really dried in my 2nd week onwards, so put on those lips moisturising stuffs at your current stage even if u haven't experience the dryness yet..

as for the initial outbreak, well i did not really experience any major big outbreak, maybe, jus a few more spots coming out, with no improvement with the existing ones.. then at the end of my 1st month, my face totally cleared up, no more new acne, but i do get a lot of blackheads though.. but dun worry, jus continue with the 'tane, it'll cleared it all up..

with regards to spot treating pimples, i will not recommend it.. i didn't put on anything during my initial stage, 'tane will do the work for you, no point stressing your skin more..

keep us updated!!

By my second week on Accutane, I was applying Carmex non-stop on my lips. I eventually found out, through posts here, that Aquaphor works so much better and it really does. I carry it with me everywhere.

As far as spot treatment goes, I've found that Klaron works the best. If Klaron doesn't seem strong enough for you, try Rosula. Both are sulfur-based topicals that help dry out whiteheads. Be patient with it, though, since the healing process on Accutane is delayed (at least that has been my experience).

I know several people have recommended using Neosporin for scarring. They use the gel and not the cream. Personally, I've never used it so I really can't offer you any advice.

From my experience, and judging from what I've read of other people on this forum, the initial breakout can occur anywhere from the second to sixth week. I had mine for two weeks spanning from week four to week six. Some people bypass the initial breakout altogether. I hope this is the case for you since the initial breakout is enough to give any cowgirl the blues.

My skin didn't get worse, as stated above, until the fourth week but it was flush for the first two weeks and looked like a glowing-red stop light. I refer to this as the Accutane sunburn. I think it depends on your skin's pigment as to how noticable this will get.

I haven't exactly noticed a dryness to my skin and I think this is where my experience varies from others. Most people will recommend that you begin moisturizing immediately. When I tried this, it seemed to irritate my skin even more. What I have noticed are dry patches where I've applied the Klaron. If my skin gets too dry and flaky, I use scotch tape to exfoliate. Okay....I know that sounds insane but it works. I just wonder what my bosses think I'm doing... eusa_think.gif

I hope this helps and I wish you clear skin! Keep us posted on your progress!

Thank you all so much!! It's now Day 5 and I'm really excited to see what happens in the next month. So far my skin hasn't done much (no breakout that is noticeably worse than usual)...but I guess it could still come at the end of the first month like some of you experienced. Eeek!

Today my lips have definitely been drier, I've been applying Carmex every 20 minutes it seems! But then I wonder if it's because I'm obsessively applying medicated lip ointment that they are drier?! haha.

I live in Canada and I have never seen Aquaphor here before... I checked a couple drug stores... so I am not sure if it's up here. Too bad since that is what EVERYONE seems to be recommending! I guess I'll get by with Carmex and Blistex wink.gif

Thanks so much for the support... you know, this is the most supportive and friendly acne message board I've ever come across... on most others, people are depressed, angry and resentful and unwilling to help other people with questions...it aint pretty!

Good luck to everyone again, I'll keep you updated!!

Mae

Thank you all so much!! It's now Day 5 and I'm really excited to see what happens in the next month. So far my skin hasn't done much (no breakout that is noticeably worse than usual)...but I guess it could still come at the end of the first month like some of you experienced. Eeek!

Today my lips have definitely been drier, I've been applying Carmex every 20 minutes it seems! But then I wonder if it's because I'm obsessively applying medicated lip ointment that they are drier?! haha.

I live in Canada and I have never seen Aquaphor here before... I checked a couple drug stores... so I am not sure if it's up here. Too bad since that is what EVERYONE seems to be recommending! I guess I'll get by with Carmex and Blistex wink.gif

Thanks so much for the support... you know, this is the most supportive and friendly acne message board I've ever come across... on most others, people are depressed, angry and resentful and unwilling to help other people with questions...it aint pretty!

Mae

Hi everyone, it's me again, with yet another question.. instead of starting a new thread I figured I'd continue my questions in this one -

Does anyone know why you're supposed to take Accutane with food, or right after eating? I have taken a couple pills not directly after my meal (but also not on an "empty stomach"...I wasn't starving or anything), and I haven't felt sick or noticed a difference. What is the science behind this? Does it absorb better with food, or is it a side-effects caution?

Guest Craigems

its supposed to absorb better making the more of the Accutane get into your body. My idea is eat heaps whilst on Accutane biggrin.gif i want the full benefits! and i think i'm having my initial breakout in the first week sad.gif

I am 25/m and have been taking Accutane for a little over 3 weeks. The only reason I wanted to get on it is for my back. My face and everywhere else has always been pretty good. I just get painful, I guess cystic acne on my back which has not been cured by topical or antibiotics over the past 7years. I do not like the side effects (ie. dry lips, dry scalp, dry face around mouth and nose) and my acne has gotten extremely worse. I know it is different for everyone, but it almost seems like a waist to suffer these side effects, plus have your condition worsen and not know when or if it is gonna clear up. I guess I could need a higher dose. I will check with doctor this week. Can anyone reassure me this stuff takes time and it will work? Also can anyone recommend something for dryness around mouth and nose?

Take your Accutane with anything that contains a lot of fat. It works much better. I know it sounds silly but it's true. Since I've never been a big eater, I took it in the morning with a glass of whole milk.

Watchit: It sounds as if you are experiencing an intial breakout that was just as nasty as mine. If the cysts get really bad, you can ask your dermatologist to inject them with cortisone. Needles in the face are not fun but it works to bring down the swelling. Read some of the journals on this site. Trust me. It will get better. You also might want to suggest being put on an antibiotic to your doctor. This will help kill the bacteria while the Accutane is busy pushing it out through your pores.

I've also noticed taking a lot of different supplements and vitamins has helped my skin. You can read about those in the diet/holistic forum.

Good luck and be patient. Your initial breakout is proof that the Accutane is doing its job.

Mae