Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Has Made My Skin Much Worse..advice?

MemberMember
(@user435764)

Posted : 12/02/2014 4:33 pm

Hello all.

I am at a loss.. Have been on Spironolactone for 3 and a half months. At one month in, my acne started to get worse, and since then has only steadily gotten worse and worse- at this point, the worst it's been since I was 13 or 14 ( I am now 26). I get at least two, if not more, new pimples per day. For the last week and a half or do I haven't had any new cysts, but my existing ones are taking longer than ever to heal.

This is my first time on spiro, but I've tried literally everything else other than accutane- that's next. I've heard many women can take many months to see clearing with spiro, but I'm very concerned about my overall skin quality, as my scarring from the past 3 months is now really really bad. Have also noticed my skin just looks bad in general, even where there is no acne. Has anyone had this experience? Should I continue to live With the pain of this apparent initial breakout? Has anyone gone off spiro after initial breakout and had their skin go back to normal?

Both of my dermatologists tell me up go off spiro and on accutane, and that the spiro should have worked by now.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/02/2014 8:58 pm

It is not unusual to break out on spiro. Also 6 months seems to be a more realistic timeline to begin to see consistent improvement. Keep at it as accutane is a tough drug so you want to be 100% sure you're ready for it.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 12/02/2014 9:08 pm

I havent been on spiro...but just some thoughts...did your dose change?
has your Dr increased your dose

did anything else in your skincare routine change?

sorry couldnt be more helpful

kim

MemberMember
(@user435764)

Posted : 12/03/2014 2:18 am

Thanks guys. nothing changed, and I think I have actually decided to lower my dose and wait a bit longer. I seem to be one of the few who are experiencing the unpleasant side effects- depression, moon face, decline in skin tone AND excessive hair growth (never had this issue before!). hoping going down to 50mg/day helps the side effects, and if not, im going off it. not worth it, especially the depression.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/27/2015 11:05 am

Thanks guys. nothing changed, and I think I have actually decided to lower my dose and wait a bit longer. I seem to be one of the few who are experiencing the unpleasant side effects- depression, moon face, decline in skin tone AND excessive hair growth (never had this issue before!). hoping going down to 50mg/day helps the side effects, and if not, im going off it. not worth it, especially the depression.

Updates?!?

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/27/2015 12:42 pm

I have a friend on only 50mg and it has helped so much!

she still breaks out or even gets a cyst rarely but never ever needs shots....goes away/down on its own quickly

gl

kim