Notifications
Clear all

Scars (On Accutane) Are Getting Really Bad

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 12/02/2014 11:47 am

So, these scars are literally driving me mad. It looks absolutely horrible. I really need so support. I am not done with accutane, but it feels like the meds are actually making them worse. In the morning they look fine, but as the day progresses so does my scars. They look even worse when I am tired or sad. What level are they? Moderate? Am I ever going to get rid of them? I just got glasses just for when I am sitting really far back in the class room and can't see the board. Now, however, I can see absolutely everything! I can see my teacher's wrinkles. It is just too much. Are people going around seeing all this? My vision is fine short-distance however my scars look worse with glasses far away then they do up close with or without glasses. I never thought it was this bad. But I feel like people are starring at them, am I going mad?

post-364369-0-62510100-1417538768.jpg

post-364369-0-24765800-1417538781.jpg

post-364369-0-49366300-1417538794.jpg

post-364369-0-00317400-1417538800.jpg

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/02/2014 11:02 pm

How much longer will you be on accutane? You can't get any treatment done for at least 6 months after you finish your coarse...Your surrounding skin appears to be in good shape and I hope it stays that way.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 12/03/2014 7:02 am

How much longer will you be on accutane? You can't get any treatment done for at least 6 months after you finish your coarse...Your surrounding skin appears to be in good shape and I hope it stays that way.

Yep I know, but I would really like to know how hard they will be to treat once this is over? I have a bit left actually. I am on low dose 20 mg/day. Yeah in the morning it looks a lot better actually you can't see it like you do in the pictures, maybe there is a lot of dryness involved. It is just driving me mad because I rarely get acne but these scars just sit there haha.

Anyways thanks for your input.

MemberMember
(@rick911)

Posted : 12/03/2014 12:35 pm

Hi! I just want to let you know that we have the EXACT similar scars. I swear my cheeks are the same as yours or even a little worse and I don't know why!! I didn't pop any zits/cysts and I still get scars?! I've done a microdermabrasion a week ago while on accutane. It haven't done much... If you find anything good for your scars let me know :) Btw, you look like a real CUTTIE!

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 12/04/2014 12:14 pm

Hi! I just want to let you know that we have the EXACT similar scars. I swear my cheeks are the same as yours or even a little worse and I don't know why!! I didn't pop any zits/cysts and I still get scars?! I've done a microdermabrasion a week ago while on accutane. It haven't done much... If you find anything good for your scars let me know Btw, you look like a real CUTTIE!

Hi,

thanks for answering. =) When did your acne start? I never got scars like these until I started using BP, it is definitely what drove me to take accutane. My doctor was like you're starting to scar really bad. It looks worse now though, but they only show like this sometimes. Maybe it has a lot to do with dryness. I read somewhere that BP can actually cause all bacteria (that is good also) to die and therefore your skin can't repair itself as well as it would have without it. I only use vaseline now and I never get new scars! You should definitely try that (it is non-comedogenic). I can actually sleep with lots of vaseline and it'll calm my skin down so much.

What are you planning to do? Are you on accutane? Maybe try dermaroller?? I can't touch my skin for at least six months after I get off so I'll just have learn to live with these until then :(

MemberMember
(@rick911)

Posted : 12/04/2014 2:46 pm

Hi! I just want to let you know that we have the EXACT similar scars. I swear my cheeks are the same as yours or even a little worse and I don't know why!! I didn't pop any zits/cysts and I still get scars?! I've done a microdermabrasion a week ago while on accutane. It haven't done much... If you find anything good for your scars let me know Btw, you look like a real CUTTIE!

Hi,

thanks for answering. =) When did your acne start? I never got scars like these until I started using BP, it is definitely what drove me to take accutane. My doctor was like you're starting to scar really bad. It looks worse now though, but they only show like this sometimes. Maybe it has a lot to do with dryness. I read somewhere that BP can actually cause all bacteria (that is good also) to die and therefore your skin can't repair itself as well as it would have without it. I only use vaseline now and I never get new scars! You should definitely try that (it is non-comedogenic). I can actually sleep with lots of vaseline and it'll calm my skin down so much.

What are you planning to do? Are you on accutane? Maybe try dermaroller?? I can't touch my skin for at least six months after I get off so I'll just have learn to live with these until then

My acne started a year ago. I swear I had baby skin before. It went from zits to cysts, I had TONS of them. I have severe acne since then, both on my cheeks :(. I've tried everything I swear haha. Doctor put me on accutane this september and the course ends in January. Now I'm pretty much *zit* free but I have tons of redmarks and scars. I'll keep having microdermabrasion from time to time to see if it has any effects on my skin. I also use vaseline haha :) Your skin is not that bad at all!! Plus you're a beautiful girl so nobody will even care about it trust me. It's in your head :)

MemberMember
(@kimchiimonsturr)

Posted : 12/04/2014 5:57 pm

Hmm, from the lighting and angle this looks mostly like hyperpigmentation rather than scarring. I can't be definite, though, with the lightning and angle. If it's truly hyperpigmentation luckily it will go away with time. Unfortunately, they take forever to go away; mine took about 6 months to completely vanish. You can hasten the process of cell renewal by exfoliating your skin once a week, and getting a chemical peel. Wear sunscreen everyday to prevent existing hyperpigmention to darken. When I had very noticeable hyperpigmentation, I wore a concealer so I wouldn't be so self-conscious of people looking at them. It helped me a lot mentally. Just make sure you have your acne in control, so you won't get anymore hyperpigmentation.

P.S

Honestly, your hyperpigmentation/scars doesn't look bad to me, I've seen a lot worse. If I can get rid of them, then you can! Have a positive mindset!

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 12/04/2014 6:28 pm

Hi,

What are you planning to do? Are you on accutane? Maybe try dermaroller?? I can't touch my skin for at least six months after I get off so I'll just have learn to live with these until then

My acne started a year ago. I swear I had baby skin before. It went from zits to cysts, I had TONS of them. I have severe acne since then, both on my cheeks . I've tried everything I swear haha. Doctor put me on accutane this september and the course ends in January. Now I'm pretty much *zit* free but I have tons of redmarks and scars. I'll keep having microdermabrasion from time to time to see if it has any effects on my skin. I also use vaseline haha Your skin is not that bad at all!! Plus you're a beautiful girl so nobody will even care about it trust me. It's in your head

Oh wow, that sucks. I started getting bad acne when I had to go through some stuff mentally, and I just couldn't deal with acne too! Yeah, me too even though I have months left. Some days I feel like eeeh fuck it, it is gone I can just stop taking them. But, I really rather they not come back and ruin my life again.

Cool that you can do microdermabrasion while on it, isn't your skin sensitive? I feel like if I only pick a little it looks like I just got punched in the face. Vaseline is the bomb.

Hah yeah I'm really going to try to think that way. Sometimes I do think that people stare, but who cares? You're probably really pretty too :)

Hmm, from the lighting and angle this looks mostly like hyperpigmentation rather than scarring. I can't be definite, though, with the lightning and angle. If it's truly hyperpigmentation luckily it will go away with time. Unfortunately, they take forever to go away; mine took about 6 months to completely vanish. You can hasten the process of cell renewal by exfoliating your skin once a week, and getting a chemical peel. Wear sunscreen everyday to prevent existing hyperpigmention to darken. When I had very noticeable hyperpigmentation, I wore a concealer so I wouldn't be so self-conscious of people looking at them. It helped me a lot mentally. Just make sure you have your acne in control, so you won't get anymore hyperpigmentation.

P.S

Honestly, your hyperpigmentation/scars doesn't look bad to me, I've seen a lot worse. If I can get rid of them, then you can! Have a positive mindset!

Hi,

there are unfortunately some indents, and about two really bad 'hills' or whatever on my left side. It looks crazy. But my derm thinks they might go away or at least diminish so there is still some hope. Yeah I wear some baremineral powder, but not on all of it, just a little. I hope I can get up the courage to go without though. Thanks, yeah I agree it could have been worse, but when I wrote this I was really not in a good mood and so tired of looking at those stupid scars that take forever to go away!

Thanks for your input and kudos to you for curing your acne naturally!

MemberMember
(@rick911)

Posted : 12/05/2014 11:46 am

Hi,

My acne started a year ago. I swear I had baby skin before. It went from zits to cysts, I had TONS of them. I have severe acne since then, both on my cheeks . I've tried everything I swear haha. Doctor put me on accutane this september and the course ends in January. Now I'm pretty much *zit* free but I have tons of redmarks and scars. I'll keep having microdermabrasion from time to time to see if it has any effects on my skin. I also use vaseline haha Your skin is not that bad at all!! Plus you're a beautiful girl so nobody will even care about it trust me. It's in your head

Oh wow, that sucks. I started getting bad acne when I had to go through some stuff mentally, and I just couldn't deal with acne too! Yeah, me too even though I have months left. Some days I feel like eeeh fuck it, it is gone I can just stop taking them. But, I really rather they not come back and ruin my life again.

Cool that you can do microdermabrasion while on it, isn't your skin sensitive? I feel like if I only pick a little it looks like I just got punched in the face. Vaseline is the bomb.

Hah yeah I'm really going to try to think that way. Sometimes I do think that people stare, but who cares? You're probably really pretty too

>Hmm, from the lighting and angle this looks mostly like hyperpigmentation rather than scarring. I can't be definite, though, with the lightning and angle. If it's truly hyperpigmentation luckily it will go away with time. Unfortunately, they take forever to go away; mine took about 6 months to completely vanish. You can hasten the process of cell renewal by exfoliating your skin once a week, and getting a chemical peel. Wear sunscreen everyday to prevent existing hyperpigmention to darken. When I had very noticeable hyperpigmentation, I wore a concealer so I wouldn't be so self-conscious of people looking at them. It helped me a lot mentally. Just make sure you have your acne in control, so you won't get anymore hyperpigmentation.

P.S

Hi,

there are unfortunately some indents, and about two really bad 'hills' or whatever on my left side. It looks crazy. But my derm thinks they might go away or at least diminish so there is still some hope. Yeah I wear some baremineral powder, but not on all of it, just a little. I hope I can get up the courage to go without though. Thanks, yeah I agree it could have been worse, but when I wrote this I was really not in a good mood and so tired of looking at those stupid scars that take forever to go away!

Thanks for your input and kudos to you for curing your acne naturally!

I don't know what would happen if we stop taking accutane before the end?! I mean, if we don't break out anymore.. They have to give us a total dosage based on our weight. I'm on 80 mg/day and yes my skin is sensitive, maybe not as much as yours :P But a microdermabrasion is gentle so my skin can handle it very well. Have you tried retin-a? I might just try that :)

MemberMember
(@jayesbro)

Posted : 12/05/2014 9:11 pm

Hi il90,

Your face doesn't look too bad, that's mostly just hyperpigmentation that you're seeing. Two things; the frist being that you're no longer getting inflamed acne, that's probably why you're noticing the actual "dark spots" now. The second thing is, Accutane is going to make your skin very thin, which is why the redness is showing more. I just got off a 50mg dosage of Accutane about two months ago, I will say I think it's worth it to continue the treatment. I do not get cystic acne at all anymore, and I get the very occasional blemish, which fades very quickly.

I plan on using a Derma Roller tonight to see if it helps with the hyper pigmentation at all, I will update you and let you know if it does help. Although, the treatment will probably take a two to three months to notice any improvement. With that being said, use sun screen, it will help with the hyperpigmentation, plus since you're on accutane, your dermantologist should have recommened that to you anyways. I highly recommend it because it will make the redness go away much quicker by preventing it from getting worse. The sun is very damaging to the skin.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 12/06/2014 6:04 pm

Just to get your hopes up, your scarring reminds me of Dc-Girl's found here:

She got rid of it by dermarolling and random tca peels.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 12/11/2014 9:48 am

Hey, BP definitely lead to my skin scarring. I've had acne on and off for years and only after using BP religiously for a few months did I start to notice my skin just wouldn't heal and was starting to scar. Give yourself sometime after acne for things to get back to normal and let your skin heal. I have notice a great improvement since getting my acne under control a year a go, the only thing I have used is Differin and some aha cleansers and serums, nothing invasive and I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. It can take up to two years for skin re model and it's always changing, yes scars are permanent but the change in depth and size until your skin is completely done healing so give things time and be kind to your skin, lots of moisture and nothing too harsh. Maybe a gentle retinoid cream when you have finished Accutane might help to smooth things out a bit xx

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 12/11/2014 1:41 pm

did you have initial breakouts when you started accutane ? and did it cause indented scars after ?

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 12/18/2014 5:34 am

Hey, BP definitely lead to my skin scarring. I've had acne on and off for years and only after using BP religiously for a few months did I start to notice my skin just wouldn't heal and was starting to scar. Give yourself sometime after acne for things to get back to normal and let your skin heal. I have notice a great improvement since getting my acne under control a year a go, the only thing I have used is Differin and some aha cleansers and serums, nothing invasive and I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. It can take up to two years for skin re model and it's always changing, yes scars are permanent but the change in depth and size until your skin is completely done healing so give things time and be kind to your skin, lots of moisture and nothing too harsh. Maybe a gentle retinoid cream when you have finished Accutane might help to smooth things out a bit xx

Yep, I will not use it again! You're right... hopefully it will smooth out a bit after accutane :D

Thanks for your input!

did you have initial breakouts when you started accutane ? and did it cause indented scars after ?

My initial was maybe five small pimples, so no. I don't know why it looks so bad now though it could be the dryness. Yeah it scars because your skin is really sensitive plus it rapidly exfoliates which I think makes it looks much worse.

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 12/18/2014 6:44 am

I have exact red marks on my cheeks. I dont get acne anymore after I started using BP, however these red spots are annoying. After reading the few posts, it seems that BP might be the reason why its not going away? I do get one or two break outs here n there thats why I keep using BP. I have tried so many peels of glycolic, lactic and even laser/Fraxel but the red marks just wont go away. And is it because of continuous use of BP? Any help!

MemberMember
(@battle-scar)

Posted : 01/27/2017 9:28 pm

Present progress pictures, please