Notifications
Clear all

Help - Creatine Ruined My Skin

MemberMember
(@jward2090)

Posted : 12/01/2014 9:20 pm

I need some help on what to do here. I started taking creatine to help with size and strength gains in the gym. I took it for two weeks and everything seemed fine. Then I started to break out bad, get light headed, and have stomach cramps. I immediately stopped taking it. The acne I'm having is big huge nodules by my nose/cheek. I've had 3 in the last 3 weeks and I'm also breaking out in whiteheads in the same area. It's been 3 weeks since I've stopped taking creatine and I'm still suffering from these breakouts. I didn't leave my house for two weeks because it looked like I got my ass kicked by someone my face was so swollen. Thankfully I work from home. Creatine is the only new thing that was in my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just wait a little longer or should I make an appointment? My skin was doing so good for so long and now this happens. I feel like I can't win.

MemberMember
(@kimchiimonsturr)

Posted : 12/03/2014 3:55 am

I don't see how creatine can cause acne. If I recall correctly from my high school Anatomy and Physiology book, creatine is involved in ATP synthesis, thus providing neuromuscular cells with energy to exert during high intensity exertions. Acne is caused by many factors like: over production of sebum, clogged pores, hormones, etc.

I have found something interesting regarding this subject. According to this site, http://peaktestosterone.com/Creatine_Dangers.aspx , creatine can increase dihydrotestosterone ( DHT ). Their have been studies showing that increased levels of DHT can cause acne. So seeing that creatine supplementation can increase DHT synthesis, it seems reasonable to deduce that creatine may be causing your acne.

I doubt the site I cited is a reputable source of information of said subject. I suggest you take it with a grain of salt. Research more about creatine and its relationship with acne. I'm not qualified, nor do I have the experience to have a definite answer with empirical facts, since I don't weight lift. I'm merely a cardio bunny. LOL

Good luck.