Notifications
Clear all

Scalp Acne Relief?

MemberMember
(@covertcorgi)

Posted : 12/01/2014 12:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Like some of the other members on this forum, I have dealt with scalp acne for years on end. It's truly a confidence killer, an attention-sapping irritating feeling that you can't get to without causing further damage.

I've tried using T-Gel and T-Sal shampoos, iodine, switching regiments but nothing seems to work.

T-Sal in particular has led to greater breakouts - I suspect dry scalp as a result. I don't know what to do. I have gone to a dermatologist who suggested T-Sal in the first place.

I am writing to this board in hopes of learning about some regiments that have worked for you. I have thinning hair and a scalp that can go from dry to oily in the course of 24 hours. I'm tired of feeling under assault - what can I do to triumph over this recurring infection?

MemberMember
(@iggs)

Posted : 12/01/2014 5:59 pm

I have this exact problem. I am currently using T-Sal and that seems to be helping me a bit, I tend to run a little oily on my scalp so I think that's leveled it out a bit, but I've heard of sulfur shampoos working for some too. I also noticed that when I eat candy or processed sugar it gets worse for me so I try to avoid eating anything too sugary. Hope that you find something that works for you, maybe try asking a different derm? A low dose of antibiotics could maybe help clear it up.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 12/01/2014 10:08 pm

Maybe a sulfate free shampoo,like the ones from loreal ,I use the pink with the pink and clear cap .its called ever pure sulfate free color treated,with rosemary and juniper.

And I apply persa gel 10 % benzoyl peroxide if I get a pimple.and I use jojoba oil from gnc,now foods, I usually apply 4drops .I rub it in my hands and apply with my fingertips all around my scalp lightly,and the rest to the ends of my hair ,mostly tothe ends ,because jojoba can make your hair look greasy if applied too much on the scalp .

Also I do this after I shower and dry my hair with the drier ,I apply the jojoba when my hair is not too wet ,like when its damp.going to sleep with my hair wet causes me to breakout on my scalp.

Also do not storage the jojoba oil in the bathroom,it can collect mold.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 12/02/2014 5:33 pm

I have been spending a crapload of time researching this. Basically hair follicles get clogged with sebum and junk and cause hair to fall and not grow back. Scalp acne. I look for stuff that's not too harsh with sulfates and chemicals. I would look for something with peppermint to stimulate your scalp and tea tree to clean it. I'm going to buy this at the food store https://www.giovannicosmetics.com/products/item.asp?prodtype=HAIR%20CARE&cat=ECO%20CHIC&subcat=SHAMPOO&item=TTS-8 I haven't tried it but it looks really good.

I would check out Peter Lamas stimulating shampoo, too. http://www.peterlamas.com/h_chshampoo.php

Peter Lamas is more expensive and kind of hard to find. I have the energizing one and it's not as good as the stimulating one...

I've also thought about this but don't like half the ingredients http://www.drugstore.com/american-crew-hair-recovery-thickening-shampoo/qxp148281 (but it may do the trick, too)

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 12/03/2014 12:38 am

Have you tried Dr. Bronner's 18 in 1 magic soaps? I recently switched to the peppermint one and use it as a shampoo/body wash. It has worked wonders on my scalp and it cleared my husband's body acne.

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 12/04/2014 2:54 am

T/sal is just horrible. I have similar issues.

The problem with all these products is excess "acne healing" ingredients cause huge reactions, so T Sal, Selsen Blue, etc....awful.

I am not using Suave Daily Clarifying (no scent, no dimethicone) with a tiny drop of Nizoral or DHS Dandruff Shampoo. I suds up with the Save and add the dandruff stuff to the crown--aware from scalp and face. It's helped a lot and my hair is clean without breaking or buildup (for a day). Works better than the Suave alone, but you're not going to be able to watch your bangs, etc.

Good luck!