Notifications
Clear all

Aha+ Purge?

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 11/29/2014 11:16 pm

Hey guys. I started the AHA+ about a week ago (pea sized amount - it goes a long way seems like). After about a week of using it, I noticed a few bumps developing top of my forehead, and the crevices on the sides of my nose (nostrils too), I usually don't break out much in those areas so I'm thinking it's a purge. But then again, I am not 100% sure because around the same time I began AHA, it was my time of month, and I usually get a few hormonal spots. Anyway, I gave myself a 3 day break from AHA and I applied a pea sized amount again tonight. I have high hopes for this product and would love if it would work. Do you think the small breakout is a coincidence since it was my time of month or do you think it might be a purge? Any help is welcome!

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/30/2014 1:02 am

all i can tell u is aha+ really messed me up. I went from light acne to severe and now I'm on accutane (it set something off on my face so even when i stopped using it i continued to break out for like three weeks)

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 12/01/2014 10:56 pm

bump! anyone else?

MemberMember
(@iggs)

Posted : 12/02/2014 11:53 am

Could be a combination of both Polska, AHA has worked for me, it has reduced my PIH and makes me skin look really good the morning after I apply it. Are you using it by itself or are you mixing it with a mositurizer? I found that it was too strong on my skin by itself and would leave my skin super read, and made me break out a bit around my nose like you said. I think overall if you stick with it its a great product, but slow introduction with moderation is key.

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 12/03/2014 12:05 pm

Building up the AHA usage gradually is definitely key, as Iggs said. I used mine two nights in a row (mixed with moisturizer) and found that even that was too much I was suddenly dry and flaky all over all. Everyone is different, but the 10% glycolic acid is potent stuff and the adjustment phase is similar to the BP in the sense that you do have to take it slow and give your skin time to get acquainted.

There are some that have reported that the AHA just didn't agree with their skin, but I would give it another (gradual) chance before giving up. I'm on a break from the AHA aswell and will start back up again doing the same thing.

Also, a purge is definitely possible as it speeds up the cell turnover process so any spots that you may have had lingering underneath are coming up to the surface at a much faster rate, thus resulting in a purge and breakout.

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 12/10/2014 10:07 pm

Thanks, guys. Iggs - I apply a pea sized amount. I've been doing it every other day (too much?). I hope the sides of my nose are just purging otherwise the AHA does not agree with my nose... Lol. I apply it after I apply moisturizer or jojoba.

KLM15 - It seems to be agreeing with the rest of my face except my nose... I'm hoping it's just purging.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 12/10/2014 10:36 pm

hi

jojoba oil made me break out horribly - so maybe it is not the aha?

just a thought

MemberMember
(@lloydd)

Posted : 12/12/2014 3:37 pm

Purging is common with active ingredients; retinoids, AHAs, BHAs, and chemical peels. If they continue for a long time without improvement, then you are most likely just breaking out and should discontinue product usage.

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 12/22/2014 10:01 am

hi

jojoba oil made me break out horribly - so maybe it is not the aha?

just a thought

I've been using Jojoba for 3 years now and my skin loves it. It's definitely not that.

MemberMember
(@bryantmkiv)

Posted : 01/05/2015 1:11 pm

same thing happened to me. i never break out in my forehead , after using AHA i broke out alot there. i gradually used less and less. at one time just on spot treatment. Now im off it for good. not putting that on my face again. I rather my skin take longer to get rid of scars than break out and have new scars. Everyone is different and get different results. so im sharing this with you because we might have the same reactions to the AHA. Just stop using it and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@yukinoshita)

Posted : 06/05/2015 9:40 am

I've been on the regimen for 2 months now and I noticed that since I used AHA+ on my 5th week, I broke out everyday. I'm still using it though, I am very hoping that I am just on purging state because I want to experience glowing skin (or something close to that) that AHA users are saying. Sometimes, I feel like stopping it but it helped a lot in my flakiness. I am so torn.

If anyone has the same experience, please add on this topic. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@mikepepsi)

Posted : 05/17/2016 4:13 am

Any updates on this. Jusy started on aha last week and have spots around my nose now as mentioned. My skin was suffering occasional under skin bumps which were leading to red marks but it definitely feels like those bumps are coming to the surface with aha so a lil encouragement would be nice lol I tend to quit any product the moment I breakout

MemberMember
(@winenotwhine)

Posted : 10/11/2016 9:22 am

On 5/17/2016 at 5:13 AM, mikepepsi said:

Any updates on this. Jusy started on aha last week and have spots around my nose now as mentioned. My skin was suffering occasional under skin bumps which were leading to red marks but it definitely feels like those bumps are coming to the surface with aha so a lil encouragement would be nice lol I tend to quit any product the moment I breakout

Sorry for the late reply, mikepepsi. I've actually been using AHA+ for over a year now consistently and my skin seems to have grown used to it. In fact, my skin looks very even the next day when I apply it. If I use too much BP sometimes, my skin gets dry and flaky. The AHA really helps with the texture. I apply jojoba first and then I apply a penny size amount of AHA all over my face. Any more than that and it just irritates my skin. All in all, my breakouts seemed to have gone away with the AHA.