Notifications
Clear all

Has Anybody Experienced Clearance Later Than Three Months Of Retin A/topical Retinoids?

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 11/27/2014 1:06 am

I'm at week 11 of Retin A, 0.05%, in a cream form. Absolutely nothing has happened, bar some light flakiness my skin has not improved and if anything, gotten worse. Three months is when people (apparently) be clear or be pretty close to clear, so is there any point me carrying on after this point? Has anyone got actual results later on? HELP

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 11/27/2014 8:41 am

From what I've read its not uncommon for retinoids to take longer to work. I'm on week 13 still breaking out and my skin looks worse than when I started but my skin texture is a lot smoother. I think it depends on the severity of your acne. First time I used it it took around 3 months to clear up, this time around its taking longer because I had more acne to begin with. I expect to start seeing more dramatic results in another few weeks and hopefully clear skin at 6 months.

You also mentioned using a cream form, I would switch to the gel if you can. I don't know from firsthand experience but I've read that the cream is less potent/effective than the gel. Im using atralin 0.05% currently. I've also used retin a micro 0.04% in the past and it cleared my skin.

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/27/2014 9:12 pm

I've been using manuka honey for my acne. I have tried several treatments before and I always get an allergic reaction from using just any products resulting to more breakouts. So, I tried this natural manuka and I can see improvements with my face. Natural manuka contains the highest levels of antibacterial properties that fights infection associated with acne vulgaris.

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 11/28/2014 1:19 am

From what I've read its not uncommon for retinoids to take longer to work. I'm on week 13 still breaking out and my skin looks worse than when I started but my skin texture is a lot smoother. I think it depends on the severity of your acne. First time I used it it took around 3 months to clear up, this time around its taking longer because I had more acne to begin with. I expect to start seeing more dramatic results in another few weeks and hopefully clear skin at 6 months.

You also mentioned using a cream form, I would switch to the gel if you can. I don't know from firsthand experience but I've read that the cream is less potent/effective than the gel. Im using atralin 0.05% currently. I've also used retin a micro 0.04% in the past and it cleared my skin.

Somedayistoday, thanks for your reply! But may I ask, if it cleared your skin the first time, why did you stop?

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 11/28/2014 9:16 am

Well I figured it cleared my skin I didn't need to use it anymore and I also went to get a refill and the cost was over $100 so I stopped. My skin was actually good for about 2 years after that just mild acne here and there.

Long story short, I went off birth control last spring and my acne worsened a few months later. I was actually washing my face with ,Manuka honey for a while before I decided to go back on a retinoid. My face was covered in tiny clogged pores along with larger pimples and although the honey balanced my skin (not dry or oily) I wasn't sure it would do the job of getting rid of acne. I hope to someday return to a low maintenance natural skin care routine but for now I am using birth control and atralin to get rid of my acne. I'm working with both a dermatologist and naturopath to help me with that.

MemberMember
(@batman1000)

Posted : 12/02/2014 3:30 pm

I'm also in the same boat, 3-4months in no major improvements.

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 12/02/2014 7:09 pm

Well I saw my dermatologist today. She said I shouldn't be breaking out any more at 14 weeks and recommended Accutane (...scratching my head). But I would say my skin is just starting to improve its definitely a lot smoother and it has worked in the past so i'm going to continue on the tretinoin treatment for another month or so. Then I plan to switch to Finacea as it is safer to use while pregnant and essentially does the same thing. I'm fairly optimistic that my acne will clear up. She doesn't think my acne is severe but it is persistent which is why she says I should consider Accutane but I'm not ready to take that leap yet.

My advice is to stick with it until you can see a dermatologist. You may just need to add a topical antibiotic like clyndamycin or aczone.