Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Ever Heard This Before? - Laser Resurfacing In The Uk

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 11/25/2014 4:28 am

Hi everyone,

I recently had an appointment with a dermatologist in the UK (Salford Royal, near Manchester) and they agreed to me having some laser treatment if I wanted it

The dermatologist then went onto say that because my scars are mild, the CO2 treatment wouldn't make that much difference to me.

I was always under the impression that it worked BETTER on mild scars??

He also said that CO2 works by 'shaving' the skin around the scar to make the scar look flatter? Again, I didn't think that was the case although I don't know too much about it

T

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 11/26/2014 6:49 pm

Are you getting the laser for free? I don't understand why your derm suggested it if it won't mKe a difference.

Have you thought about dermarolling? That's prob your best bet if you only have mild scarring. What type of scarring do you have?

I'm not far from Salford (Wigan) I have ice pick scarring and orange peel texture and my dr won't even refer me to a derm :/

Tbh I wouldn't touch lasers with a bargepole, seen a lot of bad reviews and you may even end up with worse skin. Not worth it IMO for mild scarring

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 11/26/2014 6:57 pm

C02 doesn't shave the area around the scar. C02 and other lasers all stimulate collagen, which makes your skin tighter, hence why it's primarily used for anti aging/wrinkles. The tightening effects makes your scars wider but shallower, if you stretch out your scars a little that's likely what your skin will look like after several resurfacing sessions. A lot of doctors don't explain how these collagen induction treatments work to their patients and that's why I think people come out disappointed. Many people think they literally plump up your scars but that is not the case. It tightens the skin, making scars less noticeable.. The scars don't fill up.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 11/28/2014 9:46 am

Are you getting the laser for free? I don't understand why your derm suggested it if it won't mKe a difference.

Have you thought about dermarolling? That's prob your best bet if you only have mild scarring. What type of scarring do you have?

I'm not far from Salford (Wigan) I have ice pick scarring and orange peel texture and my dr won't even refer me to a derm :/

Tbh I wouldn't touch lasers with a bargepole, seen a lot of bad reviews and you may even end up with worse skin. Not worth it IMO for mild scarring

Yes, they offered it for free but I am deciding against it to be honest.

I have looked at derma rolling and it is definitely an option. I have a mixture of all types of scars to be honest and they don't seem 'mild' to me!

It seems some doctors will refer you to a derm with no problems and others are just plain awkward (I have experienced the latter on a few occasions before finally getting somewhere!!!!)

C02 doesn't shave the area around the scar. C02 and other lasers all stimulate collagen, which makes your skin tighter, hence why it's primarily used for anti aging/wrinkles. The tightening effects makes your scars wider but shallower, if you stretch out your scars a little that's likely what your skin will look like after several resurfacing sessions. A lot of doctors don't explain how these collagen induction treatments work to their patients and that's why I think people come out disappointed. Many people think they literally plump up your scars but that is not the case. It tightens the skin, making scars less noticeable.. The scars don't fill up.

This is what I thought! It seems the derm is not exactly brilliantly clued up on lasers He said Fraxel stimulates collagen (which they don't offer) and CO2 'shaves' the skin. It's poor of the NHS to be telling people the wrong info!!

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 11/28/2014 7:04 pm

I also went to 3 clinics who all said there's nothing wrong with my skin :/

Harley street said obagi was an option, it won't do much for scars but more for texture which makes your skin looks a whole lot better but I'm just wary of making my skin worse.

Have you heard of recell? That's something I'm looking into but I can't find a whole lot of info on it and the nearest clinic seems to be in Nottingham!

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 11/29/2014 11:44 am

Recell is a great option if you have uneven skin tone and hypo pigmentation. Fixing hypo pigmentation itself will make any scars infinitely less noticeable. Other than that, recell helps prevent complications and speeds up healing time. It won't fix loss of tissue though. :/

Harley street said obagi was an option, it won't do much for scars but more for texture which makes your skin looks a whole lot better but I'm just wary of making my skin worse.

Have you heard of recell? That's something I'm looking into but I can't find a whole lot of info on it and the nearest clinic seems to be in Nottingham!

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 12/01/2014 8:43 am

I have heard of it but from what I've read it hasn't done that much for people and is expensive. I can't comment too much though as I really have no idea the full details of it.

MemberMember
(@zero1977)

Posted : 12/04/2014 11:19 am

Im going to finally see a derm too on new years eve. My acne is under control but im not sure they can help with whats left. Did you have to beg them for lazer? I dont have pitted scars more slightly raised and uneven texture just on my chin! Do you think theyll be able to help? I live in newcastle. I went to the Harley Group and she said there was nothing they could help with.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 12/05/2014 10:28 am

Im going to finally see a derm too on new years eve. My acne is under control but im not sure they can help with whats left. Did you have to beg them for lazer? I dont have pitted scars more slightly raised and uneven texture just on my chin! Do you think theyll be able to help? I live in newcastle. I went to the Harley Group and she said there was nothing they could help with.

No. It was pretty easy to get through Salford but I've had murders with other hospitals! Strange that Harley Street wouldn't do anything as it's how they make their money. Did they say why? They suggested derma roller to me

MemberMember
(@zero1977)

Posted : 12/05/2014 11:34 am

All she said was the lesions on my chin were pockets that were left behind. She told me to use vitamin e! And to keep applying pressure to them and theyd eventually flatten. She did say diathermy (cautery) would work but they didnt do it there.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 12/05/2014 4:39 pm

yeah i wouldnt get cautery done for raised scars. it can leave indents in the skin and make them look a lot worse. i would definitely massage them with vitamin e daily and see what happens. i'vae heard when the scars are newer that is the best thing to do. i think it takes a few years for them to fully mature.

i wish i would have done that with my raised scars but i am trying that now before i book my appointment for dermabrasion. i figure at this point it cant hurt.

zero1977 liked