Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jillbean

need help searching for a plastic surgeon

Hello everyone. biggrin.gif

I've been lurking on the boards for some time, and I want to thank you for sharing your experiences with your acne scar treatments. You've helped me to much more fully understand what treatment options may work for me.

I've had bouts of acne since I was 9, and I am now 21. I went through a horrible time with my skin for about a year-and-a-half, which began around January '03. Although my acne is much more under control now(it settled down a bit on it's own, with the help of changing my makeup, cleanser, and medications), I have developed scarring in the past year or so. I am mainly concerned about a few icepicks and what appear to be scarred pores. I also have a couple of other indentations which seem to be slowly improving on their own, and with the aid of 3 peels I had over the summer (which helped a great deal with the ridiculous amounts of hyperpigmentation). I want to treat my scarring as efficiently and urgently as possible, as I understand that treating "fresh" scars may prove to be more effective, and because I am self-conscious of my complexion.

I've decided that I'd like to consult with some plastic surgeons, but I am not even sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to go about this? Are there any particular sites or terms to search under to find a wide array of results? Have you consulted your dermatologists for recommendations?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. eusa_dance.gif

Jill

Hi, I usually try to get referrals from an M.D or someone else that I know. Be wary when you have consultations. Some docs will push C02 laser surgery, but it is not very effective for acne scars.

Hi Jill,

I've personally received a lot of recommendations from people on this board based on their experiences and further research on my own. Are you looking for someone in your area or willing to travel? A couple of good places to start if you are looking for someone in your area are:

American Academy of Dermatologic Surgeons

http://www.asds-net.org/

American Society of Plastic Surgeons

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/

On the these sites, you can see a bit of their background and what kind of procedures they do.

Then you can do some further research and ask around about them once you get a list of names compiled.

Dan

Thank you both for a good start. smile.gif

From what many have documented here, C02 does not seem the way to go, huh? I've been thinking of proposing punch grafts/floats or TCA-CROSS. Maybe even subcision. I want to treat my picks first, and then I can move on from there with peels or even laser if necessary.

While I would like to see someone in my area (I am from RI, and am not far from Boston, NYC, etc.), but if I felt it neccesary, I would be more than willing to travel. (I am wanderlusty anyhow, and can always use an excuse to get away. wink.gif) If money were not an option, I would love to see Dr. Yarborough.

I am going to start weeding through the lists now. Thanks again for the jumpstart!

eusa_clap.gif

Jill