Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
delna

Finally, I found out the cause for my acne..

My acne.org friends who r reading this post, i request u all to have the patience to read this carefully. My hope is that this can help anyone who has passed their teens and are still suffering from unexplained acne. most of u browse the scar forum, so i decided to write in here.

okay, let me start from the beginning. March 2004. I had gone for a physical. The nurse practitioner was checking my thyroid and she said she felt that my thyroid is a little enlarged. She asked me to get a check-up done just to be on the safe side. Well, i had a lot of things going on at that time and i really dint bother much abt it. Shortly after this, I got pregnant. I was devastated when I miscarried. They had to do a D&C on me. To top all the emotional suffering, my doctor said they could not explain my miscarriage. And added that, 'its something that just happens'. I believed it.

Finally i decided to get my thyroid tested. Today, we got the results. My endocrinologist told me that I have HYPOTHYROIDISM. I cried and cried and cried. I was devastated. Because i will have to take a pill every morning for the rest of my life. Because i was experiencing almost all the symptoms incl.g depression for a long time and i was just treating the SYMPTOMS without knowing the underlying CAUSE. And most of all, because i know why i miscarried and i know why i have acne.

I was the object of ridicule for many yrs, because of these symptoms. But i forgive everyone who has hurt me coz they were just saying it for my good and of course, they did not know that i had this problem. neither did i.

Fatigue..drowsiness even after sleeping thru the night

weakness, feeling run down and sluggish

Im not over-weight but i have difficulty losing weight when i do put on some extra pounds

brittle hair

Dry, rough pale skin (scaly skin on my legs)

Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like everyone else)...i was mocked a lot for this

Constipation

inability to concentrate..loss of motivation

Depression

Irritability

impaired Memory and difficulty in thinking...i always thought it was coz i dint pay enuf attention and i blamed myself for it

difficulty concentrating, brain fog

confusion

poor reflexes...my husband would make fun of me when he throws his car keys and i fail to catch it.

miscarriage

acne

if any of u feel that u have these symptoms, please please, have ur thyorid checked...hypothyroidism is very common and its likely that ur acne is because of this. I have started taking Levoxyl from today and im hoping to God that when my hormone levels are normal, that will put an end to this suffering from acne. though i need to continue this medicine for life, one solace wd be to know that i've succeeded in finding out the cause for my acne and rather than treating the symptoms, i am now treating its underlying cause.

Take care, all of u. We all deserve to live looking our best and its upto us to take the steps to reach that goal. I am filled with mixed feelings now. I dont know what relieves me more...the fact that i found out the reason for my acne or the hope that Levoxyl will change my life for the better and make me a healthier person, inside and outside, mentally and physically.

HOPE. Its a wonderful thing. Its what always keeps me going.

Guest Tracy

I'm so very sorry that you lost your baby. sad.gif Thank you for taking the time to share all of this with us.

Hi, I'm very sorry that you have suffered from this for so long. I have had my TSH checked a couple of times, due to chronic fatigue, but luckily it was negative. It's part of routine blood work that should be one of the first lab tests for certain symptoms. I hope you don't get your hopes up as far as acne, but I'm pretty sure you will at least feel much better.

OMG. That's scary. I seem to have a lot of those symptoms including severe acne. But that can't be right cuz I'm only 17. Or does age matter? confused.gif

Age doesn't matter. That was what they checked me for and I always came up normal. They generally check for thyroid problems, even though acne is caused by androgens. Bear in mind, if you are hypothyroid, you will also have a low SHBG (binds free androgens), as is also found in Hyperandrogenism, PCOS, & Insulin Resistance. This is something that Estrogen/Birth Control, Dexamethasone/glucocorticoid (only in adrenal disorders), Thyroxine, as well as going on a Low-Mod Carbohydrate diet or Gluten Free Diet, etc or using Insulin Sensitizing drugs increases.

I know how you feel, because I've known since I was 11 that something was wrong (had other symptoms). If I talk more about it, I'm bound to get weepy too, but if they would actually TEST us for several health & hormonal disorders instead of just assuming it's a "temporary hormonal imbalance", as is what happens during puberty, more of us could have been saved the grief & trauma.

I'm glad you've got your answers, but did they also check to see if you have PCOS or is miscarriage common with Hypothyroidism?

P.S. If you are eating a lot of soy, as in Tofu, etc you may want to stop as this has induced hypothyroidism (and acne) upon people that never had problems before.

Hey,

I completely unfderstand what hypothyroidism is like. I sufferd from it for two years and it was the main cause of my more severe acne that left some scars forcing me to go on accuatne which i'd never ever needed before. Actually my acne itself didn't look as bad it just stayed and stayed until it left a bad scar because hypo impairs your ability to heal. Anyway DO NOT EAT SOY. That is what caused my hypo. When I stopped, my tyroid funtion returned to normal.

Doctors are in more of a consensus that if you're taking meds to avoid soy because it blocks their absorption. Also take selenium which is crucial for t4 to t3 conversion.

Have you been checked for antibodies (hashimoto's thyroiditis?) I came back negative for those which is what led me to believ that it was soy. Regardless of what you hear in the media, soy is NOT safe. It really ruined my looks and devasted me even tho I'm super grateful that at least i figured out the connection and stopped the acne when it started to get cystic. Your skin should improve on the meds...and you'll feel better. It's just one pill a day, like a vitamin. You will be okay.

Wow. I never knew about any connections between a person's thyroid and their skin. I've been suffering from about half of the symptoms on that list for quite some time now. Thank-you very much for posting this. I'll be making an appointment with my doctor right away. And I am truly sorry for all of the crap you've had to go through because of it.

Delna

Congratulations on your diagnosis. I too have recently discovered that the source of my acne was pretty much hormonal related. This, after I guess 10 years of looking for a cure. It's so frustrating, especially as an adult. None of my co-workers had acne, except for me. If I remember, you are considering spiro?

LADIES, LADIES, DO YOUR HOMEWORK

SOY MILK is not the devil. It causes acne to people who are allergic to it, and hypothyroidism to infants who are soley feed soy based formula or to people, or to adults, who are genetically pre-disposed to it or already have hypo, who eat HUGE amounts of soy based products. Soy milk is a great and better alternative to milk and, at one glass a day (8 ounces) it is harmless even to people who have hypothyroidism, like my mmother. The isoflavones can actually help acne and help prevent cancer. It also has a whole bunch of other benefits. ORGANIC SOY MILK made from WHOLE SOY BEANS is the best. MILK is not that great for you because of the hormones and antibiotics present in the cow's milk, never mind all the pesticides from the food the cow eats. SOY is a great alternative to milk.

Do you homework before stating 100% absolute warnings. Many people can benefit from good quality soy milk and well, as is the case with everything, there will always be some people who can't.

I stopped eating dairy in every form months ago and my acne has cleared quite a bit. I drink 1-2 glasses a day of organic soy milk, every day, and NOTHING has happened. I'm just fine.

From my reasearch, I've only come accross soy blocking the absorbtion of 1very precise blood thinning medication. Just one, not the whole lot of them.

Anyways, good luck to all of you!

Delna

Congratulations on your diagnosis. I too have recently discovered that the source of my acne was pretty much hormonal related. This, after I guess 10 years of looking for a cure. It's so frustrating, especially as an adult. None of my co-workers had acne, except for me. If I remember, you are considering spiro?

LADIES, LADIES, DO YOUR HOMEWORK

SOY MILK is not the devil. It causes acne to people who are allergic to it, and hypothyroidism to infants who are soley feed soy based formula or to people, or to adults, who are genetically pre-disposed to it or already have hypo, who eat HUGE amounts of soy based products. Soy milk is a great and better alternative to milk and, at one glass a day (8 ounces) it is harmless even to people who have hypothyroidism, like my mmother. The isoflavones can actually help acne and help prevent cancer. It also has a whole bunch of other benefits. ORGANIC SOY MILK made from WHOLE SOY BEANS is the best. MILK is not that great for you because of the hormones and antibiotics present in the cow's milk, never mind all the pesticides from the food the cow eats. SOY is a great alternative to milk.

Do you homework before stating 100% absolute warnings. Many people can benefit from good quality soy milk and well, as is the case with everything, there will always be some people who can't.

I stopped eating dairy in every form months ago and my acne has cleared quite a bit. I drink 1-2 glasses a day of organic soy milk, every day, and NOTHING has happened. I'm just fine.

From my reasearch, I've only come accross soy blocking the absorbtion of 1very precise blood thinning medication. Just one, not the whole lot of them.

Anyways, good luck to all of you!

Wow. I never knew about any connections between a person's thyroid and their skin. I've been suffering from about half of the symptoms on that list for quite some time now. Thank-you very much for posting this. I'll be making an appointment with my doctor right away. And I am truly sorry for all of the crap you've had to go through because of it.

Thank you all for your kind words. Im glad i shared my story because i want you to be aware of the fact that acne is the not solely the result of over-active sebacceous glands. There is always an underlying cause, which we (incl. the doctors) tend to over-look. When we get temporary relief from symptoms, we rejoice. But then the problem comes creeping back and all we do is get frustruated, curse and ask, 'why me?'

Tracy, thank you. It means a lot to me when ppl care. I shared my story coz i hate to see anyone suffering from acne. My heart goes out to them as i know exactly how they feel. If i can help 10 ppl by making them aware of the connections between thyroid and skin, I'll be happy.

oldguy, Im glad ur blood work turned out normal. I dont know if i will stop breaking out completely, but im relieved that im treating the cause of my acne. i hope all my symptoms subside..and a pimple or two now and then shdnt rule my life..i dont want to be vain, EVER. I have accepted my skin the way it is.

K-La, there is no age limit to have a thyroid problem. the earlier u treat thyroidism the better. Im not trying to scare u, but if u feel u have these symptoms, do get ur TSH levels checked. Thanks a lot for ur support. Im hoping to recover soon and get on with my life.

Sweetjade, r u hypothyroid too? My miscarriage is most likely the result of this, its common with hypothyroidism. My endocrinologist has sent my blood work to my gynaec. I will know soon. I lost my baby and i can never stop thinking that had i known this earlier, i cd have saved my child. But God willing, i hope to conceive again when my hormone level is stabilised. Abt soy, nothing has been proven yet, but certain foods like soy, cabbage, broccoli ( eusa_sick.gif who likes it anyway), cauliflower etc are known to decrease the absorption of t3 and t4 in the bloodstream and are cause goitre when taken in large quantities. im staying clear of all these anyways. why take the risk.

Chloe, Im sorry to hear u had to suffer from it too. im happy u r normal now. R u still taking Levothyroxine? Yes, i have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Doc said i have antibodies attacking my thyroid cells. My TSH level is 16.202. im glad ur acne is under control. thank u for sharing, Chloe. i feel so much better now.

Thanks Lucy. what kind of hormonal problems do u have? r u taking medications? is ur acne under control now? yeah i know how it feels. Ppl whom i see everyday (even patients whom i see at the derm's) have perfect skin. dont worry, one day this has to end. im dreaming of the day i can go out without wearing a speck of make-up. btw, whats 'spiro'?

thanks again everyone. take care and be safe.

My acne.org friends who r reading this post, i request u all to have the patience to read this carefully. My hope is that this can help anyone who has passed their teens and are still suffering from unexplained acne. most of u browse the scar forum, so i decided to write in here.

okay, let me start from the beginning. March 2004. I had gone for a physical. The nurse practitioner was checking my thyroid and she said she felt that my thyroid is a little enlarged. She asked me to get a check-up done just to be on the safe side. Well, i had a lot of things going on at that time and i really dint bother much abt it. Shortly after this, I got pregnant. I was devastated when I miscarried. They had to do a D&C on me. To top all the emotional suffering, my doctor said they could not explain my miscarriage. And added that, 'its something that just happens'. I believed it.

Finally i decided to get my thyroid tested. Today, we got the results. My endocrinologist told me that I have HYPOTHYROIDISM. I cried and cried and cried. I was devastated. Because i will have to take a pill every morning for the  rest of my life. Because i was experiencing almost all the symptoms incl.g depression for a long time and i was just treating the SYMPTOMS without knowing the underlying CAUSE. And most of all, because i know why i miscarried and i know why i have acne.

I was the object of ridicule for many yrs, because of these symptoms. But i forgive everyone who has hurt me coz they were just saying it for my good and of course, they did not know that i had this problem. neither did i.

Fatigue..drowsiness even after sleeping thru the night

weakness, feeling run down and sluggish

Im not over-weight but i have difficulty losing weight when i do put on some extra pounds

brittle hair

Dry, rough pale skin (scaly skin on my legs)

Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like everyone else)...i was mocked a lot for this

Constipation

inability to concentrate..loss of motivation

Depression

Irritability

impaired Memory and difficulty in thinking...i always thought it was coz i dint pay enuf attention and i blamed myself for it

difficulty concentrating, brain fog

confusion

poor reflexes...my husband would make fun of me when he throws his car keys and i fail to catch it.

miscarriage

acne

if any of u feel that u have these symptoms, please please, have ur thyorid checked...hypothyroidism is very common and its likely that ur acne is because of this. I have started taking Levoxyl from today and im hoping to God that when my hormone levels are normal, that will put an end to this suffering from acne. though i need to continue this medicine for life, one solace wd be to know that i've succeeded in finding out the cause for my acne and rather than treating the symptoms, i am now treating its underlying cause.

Take care, all of u. We all deserve to live looking our best and its upto us to take the steps to reach that goal. I am filled with mixed feelings now. I dont know what relieves me more...the fact that i found out the reason for my acne or the hope that Levoxyl will change my life for the better and make me a healthier person, inside and outside, mentally and physically.

HOPE. Its a wonderful thing. Its what always keeps me going.

Delna,

Nope, I have Insulin Resistance, which caused me to have high androgen levels, otherwise known as Hyperandrogenism or HAIR-AN Syndrome. Anyway I did look more into hypothyroid and yeah it definately is common to have pregancy complications and I am sorry that this happened to you. That's why anyone who gets tested needs to request a variety of health & hormonal tests, as androgens is what causes acne (through different disorders), yet most doctors may onlycheck you for thyroid problems for example. You may come up negative for one disorder, when in reality you had another problem that they never tested you for =/ Thanks for mentioning how something as "simple" as soy and other vegetables can affect your thyroid (more for me to research). People don't think that something as simple as food can harm us, but if certain foods, depending on your genetic susceptibility, are taken in (refined & in) HUGE quantities, anything is possible. When it comes to autoimmune disorders, I've bumped into studies & other articles that have mentioned avoidance of gluten (which I avoid) in healing such problems! So if you find that the medication isn't enough, that's another option for you (whether you test negative for CD or not):

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/latestresearch/a/celiac.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=12202461

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/glutenceliac.htm

http://www.consciouschoice.com/healthconsc...scious1608.html

Best wishes

thats a sad story Delna, but at least you found the problem and can treat it properly now. I suffer from a lot of those symptoms to, and i was wondering whether or not you could visibly see that your thyroid was swollen? Or now that your on medication can you see that is has gone down? I ask this because i have an extremely large adams apple and thought maybe this might be another symptom. And wut if you have problems gaining weight rather then losing it? No matter how much i eat i dont gain a pound? could that be a symptom... sry to bug u with so many questions but, I got kinda scared when i read the list of symptoms... eusa_shifty.gif

Great post...I started getting symptoms at age 16 and my mom wanted to get me tested (she is hypo) but I thought she was crazy--how could anything be wrong with me at that age rolleyes.gif

I wish I had known more and that you can get it even as a teenager. My hair was really dry and falling out and when I finally got tested at age 19 they put me on Levoxyl...now I take synthroid. I still have a lot of skin problems though.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

my sister has underactive thyroid,and luckily she has great skin,which i envy but she did have spots when she was also told she had pcos,they have gone now,i have the syptoms to,i feel the cold terrabily to,i have been tsking diannate as my dod thought i may have pcos,but i dont nad the pill has made it worse,its all trail and error,but so glad some people are finding there cure's.

i have always believed that everyone has one,its just finding the bugger thas the problem,the doctors says there is no cure and they dont no what causes it,but i think there is its jsut finding it as i say.

Delna....

I am soooo sorry about your miscarriage. What a terrible thing to have to go through. I am 31 yrs. old and have almost all of the symptoms that you have mentioned and then some. I have been going back and forth to all kind of Dr's for over a year now suffering from all kinds of unexplained symptoms and know one can figure anything out. My last blood work was done last March and at that time my Thyroid test came back normal, although it was kind of low but still in the normal range. I am still in search for answers to my medical woes and am thinking about having them test my hormones. My Dr. never mentioned this. I have terrible fatigue, lightheadedness, I get hypoglycemic episodes randomly, terrible headaches and my periods have been only lasting a few days...not normal for me. My acne started in my mid twenties and got terrible when I got pregnant with my son. It never went away even after I had him.

I am glad you found out what has been going on with you. That is the first step in getting on with your future. Hope you are feeling better.

Delna,

First off I'm very sorry about your miscarriage. I also suffer from hypothyroidism and have for over 7 years and I'm only 22 now. What dose are you on? I'm on 150 mg Synthryoid and have been for about a year. I would love to talk to you about this in greater detail. I too get mocked for being cold "all the time", like its something I can help. I'm curious to what other information your doctor provided about the miscarriage being related to your thyroid if that's not too difficult for you at this time. Medicine and symptoms are hit and miss, only you can understand how you really feel and that I understand wholeheartedly.

Take care,

Rae

Hi!

To clarify about the soy, no I am not or was not ever predisposed to hypothyroidism. I have no family history of it and once I stopped soy and returned to a meat based diet my thyroid function returned to normal and I don't take any meds at all.

I also am very slender (average height and around 100-105 pounds when I eat a lot of food 9ie, i don't think twice before finishing off a box of cookies or eating a steak) but usually dip below 100 when i eat regular amounts (three meals a day with snacks) and have a very fast metabolism so I would actually be a pretty unlikely candidate for hypo.

As for "huge" amounts of soy...What does that mean? I was eating a few servings of soy every other day when I became hypo, but i was vegetartian too. I eat WAY MORE meat now and NEVER worry about how many servings of meat i take in and it has not affected my health negatively at all. It's possible soy affected me so badly becaue I'm so slim and a few servings of it overloaded my system in which case it's still not a safe food in my opinion. even the FDA and scientists are up in the air about soy isoflavone safety. If you're fine on soy then okay, but a lot of people may not be and scientific literature supports the question marks surrounding soy's safety.

sweetjade,

thanks a lot for the links abt Celiac disease. I dont have any of the symptoms related to that..but i will remember to ask my endocrinologist abt it next time i see him. Yes, he did tell me that theres nothing we cd do to stop the anti-bodies from attacking the thyroid cells, without adversely affecting the rest of the body. A totally gluten-free diet wd probably take lots of will-power, though! wink.gif I dont know which is worse...giving up the foods which i like or bad health! interesting though that soybean is considered safe for a gluten-free diet!

arya, dj1010, kel

if u feel u have these symptoms, its always better to be on the safe side and get ur hormones checked. Its never too early for routine check-ups to make sure u r doing well health-wise. the earlier the better. Dj, ur adam's apple has nothing to do with ur thyroid. Adams Apple is ur larynx (what gives u ur voice) that grows larger during puberty, it sticks out at the front of the throat. Thyroid gland is below the adam's apple. Mine is a little swollen(called goiter) and thats why the nurse noticed it when she examined me. When i did my ultra-sound my doc told me that i have a slightly enlarged thyroid with a few nodules. This wd have gradually enlarged further hadnt I known abt it atleast now and started treatment. I have HYPOthyroidism and thats why im finding it difficult to lose weight since my metabolism is slow. ppl with HYPERthyroidism have the opposite symptoms. they tend to lose weight easily as metabolism is increased. both HYPER and HYPO thyroidism can cause goiter..so u have to do the tests to find out.

gypsy,

u r so welcome! im glad u found out early. u r still a teenager and ur hormones are still messed up, synthyroid or not...they r still struggling to keep up with the changes in ur body and it will take a while to stabilise them. once those buggers are under control, ur skin probs shd vanish! Good luck!

sickofthis31,

why dont u go in for a complete physical. thats how i found out my problem. they check up everything. dont give up until u find out whats wrong. its likely that all ur problems are connected. the biggest step is diagnosis. treating it is easier than u can imagine. take care.

RaeRae,

thanks a lot for those touching words. right now im on a 50mcg(0.05mg) dose of Levoxyl. i have to go in for a blood test in 6 weeks. then i'll know if this dose is sufficient for my levels to be normal. If my TSH is still higher than normal, i guess i will have to take an increased dose. My blood work has been sent to my gynaecologist. i will know soon. I have sent u a pm.