Notifications
Clear all

Twelve Years Old With Lots Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@happiness123)

Posted : 11/17/2014 2:38 pm

I've had acne since the age of about 10. I feel so alone.

In fifth grade, people would say a lot of stuff about my skin because everyone was immature and I was the only one with blemishes. I remember some kid at the lunch table I was sitting at would say thing like pimple face to me and I burst out crying and my whole class saw... Terrible memory :-( .

I am now in 7th grade, and I'm still almost the only one in my grade with as much acne as me. It's all over my forehead, my cheeks, temples, chin. It is ALL OVER my back and shoulders and some on my chest. I am ashamed to be in a swimsuit. Kids still say stuff to me like "you have a lot of acne." I just ignore them and pretend I don't hear, but it breaks me inside. I can't go a day without thinking about my acne. I don't understand when people complain to me when they have one pimple on their face. I would kill to have skin like that. I am so self conscious about myself and just feel so alone.

I've been to the dermatologist a couple of times. Currently I'm taking prescription medicine and topical creams. It's made my skin a bit better, but it still looks terrible. I was my face every morning and night and it won't go away.

Can any of you guys relate to this?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 11/17/2014 5:21 pm

Don't feel alone, we're on the same boat, and I'm 22 years old.

Yesterday, I was at the swimming pool, for work with children, and my "colleagues", who have the same age. I make jokes and I laugh about it, because it's "war of spots" and stuff, but, still, I felt ashamed of the spots, of the redness, of the dryness. I felt ashamed of my face, and that is sad.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/17/2014 7:24 pm

You express yourself well for someone so young. I can relate to your story...I was the youngest kid in my class to have acne, and the only girl with acne. Started getting it at age 12. I got teased and bullied all the time by other kids. The emotional scars from acne can sometimes run deeper than the physical scars. The key is to not let this disorder break you inside. The people I admire most are those who display courage in the face of affliction and hardship, and who don't give up on themselves. BE RESILIENT! Just remember, you are not alone. There's tons of support on this website as well as information to educate yourself. Feel free to ask questions. Please feel welcome and know you are among friends here! :)

You may be interested in seeing my son's progress log. He's 13.

MemberMember
(@happiness123)

Posted : 11/17/2014 10:26 pm

Thank you for the replies :)

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 11/18/2014 2:49 pm

How are you feeling today?

MemberMember
(@happiness123)

Posted : 11/18/2014 6:39 pm

How are you feeling today?

Hi Mandarine, thanks for asking. :)

I feel okay today. Today in class we needed to use computers and I saw my reflection in the computer screen and ugh... :/ My skin is getting better and I have hope one day it'll be gone... Hopefully soon!

MemberMember
(@novelist)

Posted : 11/18/2014 11:17 pm

I can completely relate. I'm much older than you now, but I got my first pimple at age 10. And believe me, from there they only multiplied. It was absolutely ghastly. When puberty hits that early (which happens a lot now, supposedly due to all the added hormones in food), it can be devastating because you're not psychologically prepared to handle it. I was used to being a thin, blond girl with smooth, fair skin. Boys "liked" me. At 10, my hair turned brown and greasy, I put on all kinds of weight, my face exploded with oil and acne, and well, the admirers vanished to say the least. My entire identity seemed to disappear. I was the "smart girl." That was all I had left, to the point where I was devastated if I thought I had disappointed my teachers on a test or something.

Just let me say this as someone who still deals with acne as she's nearing her 30's. Please, PLEASE be kind to yourself. When nobody else will, be kind to yourself. I look back and see all these photos of this girl and young woman who was aching to be loved, and I couldn't even do that for her, and she was me. I can remember saying terrible things to myself in the mirror. Why did I do that?

Kids and young people are trying to prove something. They are not empathetic (usually) and they are not loving. You're going to have to love yourself. You might be in for a rough time, but it will get better. Count on it and take this opportunity to embrace yourself as an imperfect, flawed, beautiful person.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@happiness123)

Posted : 11/19/2014 4:26 pm

I can completely relate. I'm much older than you now, but I got my first pimple at age 10. And believe me, from there they only multiplied. It was absolutely ghastly. When puberty hits that early (which happens a lot now, supposedly due to all the added hormones in food), it can be devastating because you're not psychologically prepared to handle it. I was used to being a thin, blond girl with smooth, fair skin. Boys "liked" me. At 10, my hair turned brown and greasy, I put on all kinds of weight, my face exploded with oil and acne, and well, the admirers vanished to say the least. My entire identity seemed to disappear. I was the "smart girl." That was all I had left, to the point where I was devastated if I thought I had disappointed my teachers on a test or something.

Just let me say this as someone who still deals with acne as she's nearing her 30's. Please, PLEASE be kind to yourself. When nobody else will, be kind to yourself. I look back and see all these photos of this girl and young woman who was aching to be loved, and I couldn't even do that for her, and she was me. I can remember saying terrible things to myself in the mirror. Why did I do that?

Kids and young people are trying to prove something. They are not empathetic (usually) and they are not loving. You're going to have to love yourself. You might be in for a rough time, but it will get better. Count on it and take this opportunity to embrace yourself as an imperfect, flawed, beautiful person.

Wow! Thank you for sharing this! I will try to be nice to myself no matter what happens (even though it's hard when everyone else thinks you're an unhygienic freak if you have acne at my age). Your words really mean a lot. :)

MemberMember
(@novelist)

Posted : 11/19/2014 9:43 pm

You're very welcome. :) It's easier said than done for sure, but you know you're not unhygienic. In the end, you'll come out of it a lot stronger and more compassionate than anyone who made you feel bad.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 12/06/2014 12:52 am

i had cystic acne since 12. caused me to miss out on a lot in life. no dances. no girlfriends. i had friends, but i moved every year so i had to make new friends every year. i kept making less and less friends every year and was too lazy to make too many more since i was leaving anyway.

on top of that, i was goin through a lot more messed up stuff.

I'm 18 now with no plans of finishing school. I've been doing stuff in the streets that I shouldn't have been doing. I almost ended up in prison so many times, it's a miracle I have no criminal record. I was supposed to have one two years ago, but I fled the state to avoid jail time.

I guess the morale of the story is: don't fuck up. And enjoy whatever you can. even if that means staying inside and watching funny videos and reading funny stories. Focus on solving your acne problem, too. It might not go away on its own. even if it does, it will take years.

My acne is almost clear now, cuz i got a bunch of tests done. check for food sensitivities and see a naturopath. Natural is the real cure. I found I was sensitive to a bunch of foods. I stop eating them and I'm almost clear. No, allergy isn't the same as sensitivity!

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 12/29/2014 1:51 am

Mine started when i was 12 1/2 I woke up one day and I had around 4 pimples at once at first I thought they were ant bites lol. Anyways dude your not alone many people get acne unfortunately though some worse then others. Im now 21 yo and most of the actual acne is gone but i do have a bit of scarring to deal with, mine are numerous small ice pick scars.

In my case it was genetic so nothing i could do but ride it out.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/30/2014 1:08 am

I am glad you're going to a dermatologist, sweetie! It's good to get professional help, and you are taking steps to help your skin! I'm also glad you're here on this forum, young, well-spoken women like you are so inspiring.

Do you play any sports or exercise regularly? I didn't have acne as a young teen, or really at all until I hit my twenties, but I had other issues during puberty (I still have some of these issues ;) ) . I know that I always felt LOADS better about myself and was less depressed when I was active and doing something I was proud of, whether running cross country, dance, or involved in drama, etc etc. Hah, this is still true to this day. Also, my skin improves drastically when I am exercising, probably as a result of it regulating hormones.

Also, I know being in a swimsuit and/or a leotard (for things ballet) can feel really exposed, but if you're doing it as a workout or in a dance class, no one's looking at you anyway, everyone's focused on their own progress. Something I wish I had realized when I was struggling with feeling inadequate and feeling critical of my body shape, looks, etc.

It sounds like your skin is slowly improving, so this is good news! You may be through the worst of it. =) Fingers crossed!

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@happiness123)

Posted : 12/31/2014 5:53 pm

I am glad you're going to a dermatologist, sweetie! It's good to get professional help, and you are taking steps to help your skin! I'm also glad you're here on this forum, young, well-spoken women like you are so inspiring.

Do you play any sports or exercise regularly? I didn't have acne as a young teen, or really at all until I hit my twenties, but I had other issues during puberty (I still have some of these issues ;) ) . I know that I always felt LOADS better about myself and was less depressed when I was active and doing something I was proud of, whether running cross country, dance, or involved in drama, etc etc. Hah, this is still true to this day. Also, my skin improves drastically when I am exercising, probably as a result of it regulating hormones.

Also, I know being in a swimsuit and/or a leotard (for things ballet) can feel really exposed, but if you're doing it as a workout or in a dance class, no one's looking at you anyway, everyone's focused on their own progress. Something I wish I had realized when I was struggling with feeling inadequate and feeling critical of my body shape, looks, etc.

It sounds like your skin is slowly improving, so this is good news! You may be through the worst of it. =) Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your kind words. I actually do a sport but right now we only have practices and no games because it is the winter season. You're right, it really does make me feel more accomplished and proud when I'm doing something I love and I'm good at but now I'm spending my weekends inside until games start again...

And yes, my skin is getting a lot better and actually has gotten a lot better since I made this thread which is great, but it's still looking pretty bad haha.

MemberMember
(@polka)

Posted : 01/03/2015 1:29 pm

Reminds me of myself. And I would encourage you to talk about your feelings to people you trust (or even a counsellor), because a lot of that bullying can turn you into a real social recluse, I am evidence of that. I also remember a lot of the stuff in school, it was really traumatic at the time, and I never really got over it.

Melloman liked