Notifications
Clear all

Starting The Taaaane

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/12/2014 2:25 pm

Well after suffering from acne for years and then listening to a bunch of shmedricks on here and making my face a gazillion times worse..I am now officially going acccutaaaane.

Prep me up guys:

Also, my derm told me to ONLY use water i.e not even moisterizure when washing my face..anyone else not use moisterizure??

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/12/2014 8:40 pm

Hey dude congratulations! I am starting next week Yesssss

Anyhow, do you mean your derm told you not to use cleanser or soap when you wash your face? I can't imagine they'd tell you not to use moisturizer on Accutane!

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/12/2014 9:30 pm

my derm said specifically "dont use wash and i really don't like moisterizure either..maybe a really really light one if things look really bad but i perfer you hold off"

Maybe you want to start a combined log with me!? I wanna start one but don't think ill be motivated to keep it. if we do it combined we can compare week by week and ill be more motivated to stick to it!!

Hey dude congratulations! I am starting next week Yesssss

Anyhow, do you mean your derm told you not to use cleanser or soap when you wash your face? I can't imagine they'd tell you not to use moisturizer on Accutane!

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/14/2014 2:10 am

Hey guys I just joined this site hoping to find people who are just starting the accutane plunge. Im on my second day and am reading through some of these "initial breakout" horror stories and am hoping I can stay strong, but maybe having a few people going through the process at he same time will help in case it gets bad.

My info is

Male 20 years old. 140 lbs. 60 mg daily

My derm also told me not to wash my face and only use a moisturizer if absolutely necessary for comfort level

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/14/2014 2:17 pm

Nice we're three strong now :) My derm didn't say anything about not washing my face and gave me lots of samples of hypoallergenic moisturizers n stuff. I get my first blood test on Monday! It's been a long wait. Took three months to convince iPledge that I am definitely not getting pregnant.

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/14/2014 3:39 pm

Yea my derm was like "your lucky your a dude cuz your good to go..you don't even wanna hear about what we put the girls through. DPGREY WELCOME!!!! WE GONNA KICK SOME ACNE ASS YOOO

Hey guys I just joined this site hoping to find people who are just starting the accutane plunge. Im on my second day and am reading through some of these "initial breakout" horror stories and am hoping I can stay strong, but maybe having a few people going through the process at he same time will help in case it gets bad.
My info is
Male 20 years old. 140 lbs. 60 mg daily

My derm also told me not to wash my face and only use a moisturizer if absolutely necessary for comfort level

Nice we're three strong now My derm didn't say anything about not washing my face and gave me lots of samples of hypoallergenic moisturizers n stuff. I get my first blood test on Monday! It's been a long wait. Took three months to convince iPledge that I am definitely not getting pregnant.

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/14/2014 5:44 pm

Haha yeah I'm super fortunate that im a guy. It literally took like 3 days from my Derm saying I should take accutane to takin my first pill.

Do you guys know any info regarding what we should eat with our pills?I've heard a high fat meal but im not sure what exactly that should be. I mean I don't want to eat 5 strips of bacon every morning and night. My doc didn't really cover this

I'm so ready to finally give the middle finger to acne

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/14/2014 6:41 pm

My doctor didn't really go into it either. I think anything fatty, like nuts or nut butters, eggs, you know, the yooj. I've read that if people are not able to eat a fatty meal with the pill they'll take a little shot of olive oil. Doesn't sound too gross, and olive oil is good for you.

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/14/2014 8:13 pm

Okay sounds good I've been taking mine with some toast with almond butter spread..Maybe I'll add a splash of olive oil

I'm curious as to what you have to do as a female to satisfy ipledge? It seems like most of the book is directed towards females..they take that whole thing pretty serious

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/18/2014 2:42 pm

Serious indeed. My prescription will finally be filled tomorrow! And this is what I had to do:

1 - Get on an acceptable form of primary birth control. I can't take anything with estrogen, so that left me with the option of an IUD, which meant I had to wait til just the right time in my cycle for to get the thing placed. Turned out to be three weeks of waiting.

2 - Wait til I've had the IUD for one month to get my first urine pregnancy test and get registered with iPledge. At seven weeks now.

3 - Wait one more month to get my first blood pregnancy test, then correctly answer ten nitty gritty questions about birth control and pregnancy.

And then they called in the prescription. I've been waiting almost three months, but I'm cleared :)

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/18/2014 11:15 pm

Damn crazy..

im happy that you got it all figured out and your getting your prescribition finally.

I'm on day 7 now and not seen much difference in my skin yet..but I know it's early..I haven't had many side effects yet either..a tad bit of dry lips but not to bad..what dosage are you getting?

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/19/2014 1:13 am

Im getting 40 mg twice a day....STILL WAITING FOR DAMN blood test to get back though!! derm said it would take two days...it's been a week. I called today and they said they'll forsure have it tomorow! I gott a get started!!!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 11/19/2014 11:52 am

I started 2 days ago

20mg a day

Im 130 female

My Dr in 2 weeks wants to bump me to 40mg than higher

nervous

day#2 skin already getting dry and I was OILYYY

kim

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/19/2014 5:59 pm

Just got my hands on my first month baby!!! Here goes PILL ONE!!!....AND WE ARE OFFFFF

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/19/2014 6:24 pm

Kimber607..welcome it's cool that were all starting around the same time

Derpface...blast off we're all into it now..good luck to everyone as well

It's funny I feel like I have relaxed about my face so much already just knowing that I don't have worry about what stupid face wash I have to try next..it's a calming feeling

#day 8..first week seemed to cruise by..starting to dry up alittle(have super oily skin)..nothing really to report with skin.not really better but not worse

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/19/2014 6:29 pm

yup i was thrilled when my derm was like MAKE SURE TO ONLY USE WATER...i was like YEAHH NOOOO problem!

Kimber607..welcome it's cool that were all starting around the same time

Derpface...blast off we're all into it now..good luck to everyone as well

It's funny I feel like I have relaxed about my face so much already just knowing that I don't have worry about what stupid face wash I have to try next..it's a calming feeling

#day 8..first week seemed to cruise by..starting to dry up alittle(have super oily skin)..nothing really to report with skin.not really better but not worse

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 11/19/2014 6:30 pm

Thanks..am I the only nervous one running to the bathroom waiting for my face and lips to peel off..LOL

Ive never been able to use moisturizer or anything creamy so its odd

does anyone have a rec for a good gentle cleanser or moisturizer...same old cetaphil or cerave?

I took a day #1 pic

Plan to take pics every week

but my desk top lets off this awesone flash that actually makes my skin look much better than it really does

I wish I could walk around with one of these lights

Kim

:)

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/19/2014 6:40 pm

Thanks..am I the only nervous one running to the bathroom waiting for my face and lips to peel off..LOL

Ive never been able to use moisturizer or anything creamy so its odd

does anyone have a rec for a good gentle cleanser or moisturizer...same old cetaphil or cerave?

I took a day #1 pic

Plan to take pics every week

but my desk top lets off this awesone flash that actually makes my skin look much better than it really does

I wish I could walk around with one of these lights

Kim

where's the pic!? I tried cerave and rocked my face so im gonna try nuetrogena moisture for senstive skin....although my derm said only use moisterizure if I really need it

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/19/2014 6:43 pm

I use CerVe moisturizer, it seems to do a good job and dosent irritate my skin to much(something a lot of things do), and I'm not using a face wash.just water

Haha I know what you mean about the lights..the only place I really feel comfortable looking in a mirror is in my bathroom at home ..I don't know what it is about the lighting but I like it

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 11/19/2014 7:10 pm

I tried both cerave and cetaphil in the past and mys kin hated it..though my skin hates all moisture

when i told me derm this she LRP product

pretty basic light/no scent

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_b4d8129621.html

Kim

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/19/2014 7:39 pm

I've heard that as you get farther into treatment you skin gets more tolerable to moisturizer.. .are you planning on using a face wash?

MemberMember
(@derpface)

Posted : 11/20/2014 12:07 am

I'm not. Derm said only water and moisterizure if I REALLY need it

I've heard that as you get farther into treatment you skin gets more tolerable to moisturizer.. .are you planning on using a face wash?

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 11/20/2014 9:59 am

Hi

Yup I am a girl so I wear a little powder during the day..hate it..but trying to use as little on my face right now...everything causes issues..stopped liquid foundation

I use a gel cleanser...need to find something more gentle

thinking philosophy purity one..used it years and years ago and it was fine

I hear a lot of oil cleansing but i am hesistant

I hope as accutane kicks in and I get drier (especially winter coming in the NE) I can tolerate a moisturizer

guess im just going to have to pick one and stick with it!

Day #4 here I come

Ive been taking accutane with dinner

I have 4 eggs..yolk and all and handful of peanuts :)

Ive alwasy eaten whole eggs pretty much daily and my chol. under 200 so not concerned

kim

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/20/2014 10:54 am

Do y'all mind if I just vent for a second? I hope not...

I have been on the phone for about four hours over the last two days with my insurance trying to find a way to get an affordable generic. I called five separate times and every time they contradicted what someone had said previously. First it would be $10 for a month supply. Then they fill it and tell me it's $189! Then I call and they say claravis is available by mail for $8. Then I call to make sure and they say no, it is not available by mail, but myorisan is, but only for a 90 day supply, which I had to explain to them was impossible because of iPledge. Then I just told the lady how frustrated I was and what I needed and she put me on hold and said yes, myorisan is available by mail in a 30 day supply for $8. Now I'm waiting on my derm to call me back so we can change it. Aaaaaah. I have more important things to do. How can they all be so confused?! I am moving to Canada... Bah!

Thanks for reading. Now back to our regularly-scheduled starting Accutane programming.

MemberMember
(@dgraypdx)

Posted : 11/20/2014 11:54 am

Kimber; okay yeah i guess the best thing to do would find something as gentle as possible. I actually tried the oil cleansing method for a little bit..didnt do to much for my skin but felt nice and wasn't irritating

Yeah I think just stating consistent with what products we use is important..during accutane I think we just need to be as easy on our skin as possible.. i really need to work on not touching my face..but acne can be so itchy sometimes

--Ive heard eggs our great for accutane absorption...it sucks I cant stand them haha

hamdinger: that sucks you having such an issue..my derm gave me some rebate cards to lower the price of my pills significantly. maybe you should ask if they have any they could give you..and i think this is the perfect place to vent..we can all understand..this might be the most supportive place for us right now

hamdinger liked