Notifications
Clear all

Herbs That Don't Interact With The Pill

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 11/12/2014 8:02 am

So which herbs can help with ballancing hormones and reducing pms symptoms and NOT interract with birth control? Saw palmeto, chasteberry and similar ones seems great, but are not recommended with the pill. Which ones are ok to take?

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 11/17/2014 5:20 pm

So which herbs can help with ballancing hormones and reducing pms symptoms and NOT interract with birth control? Saw palmeto, chasteberry and similar ones seems great, but are not recommended with the pill. Which ones are ok to take?

It's not an herb, but natural progesterone cream helps with PMS and is fine to take, even while pregnant. Inositol isn't an herb either, but it helps some women with hormonal issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by interacting, are you worried about losing effectiveness? If so, anything that lowers estrogen (saw palmetto, DIM, vitex/chasteberry) can potentially lower the effectiveness of birth control pills. My advice is to try either NPC or inositol, or ditch the BCP for an IUD so you can take whatever. It seems odd to me that you want to add something else to your regimen, because you already take birth control AND spiro. IF the combo of those two didn't work well enough, I would go in a totally different route... but that's just me. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 11/19/2014 3:45 am

I also want to know if there's anything I can take. I've been on Yaz for almost a year now and I still break out in cyst like acne that leaves dark marks that take a year to go away and tiny scars that don't go away at all. I'm taking inositol and I don't know if it does anything since I still break out. I tried spiro but it gave me sore throat and apparently you can't take the drug if you get that. So I'm at a loss here.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 12/14/2014 10:21 am

It's not an herb, but natural progesterone cream helps with PMS and is fine to take, even while pregnant. Inositol isn't an herb either, but it helps some women with hormonal issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by interacting, are you worried about losing effectiveness? If so, anything that lowers estrogen (saw palmetto, DIM, vitex/chasteberry) can potentially lower the effectiveness of birth control pills. My advice is to try either NPC or inositol, or ditch the BCP for an IUD so you can take whatever. It seems odd to me that you want to add something else to your regimen, because you already take birth control AND spiro. IF the combo of those two didn't work well enough, I would go in a totally different route... but that's just me. Good luck!

Thanks for your answer! Well, this combination has cleared my acne by 98%, so I'm sticking with it, but the mood swings are a bit unbearable, so I was wondering if there is anything that can relieve this symptom without the pill losing it's effectiveness.

What is NPC? Do you think a small amount of vitex in a tea could have an effect?