Notifications
Clear all

Acne Is Coming Back While On 5Th Month Of Accutane? Anyone Experience Something Like This?

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 11/12/2014 1:08 am

My face had been almost entirely clear aside from a few minor, sporadic breakouts throughout my Accutane course. Now I got a bunch of larger acne bumps as I'm just starting my 5th month and I'm confused and frustrated.I made another topic wondering if maybe sources of tap water can cause acne flare-ups due to mineral content or whatever as my acne seems to get worse when I go back home every few weeks. Another factor could be weather changes since my acne always seemed to flare up more in the cold winter months, but I didn't think that would matter as long as I was on Accutane.Has anyone here experienced problems with acne this late in their Accutane course? I'll try to keep this topic updated about what happens next.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/12/2014 1:28 pm

Hmm - I remember breaking out in cystic acne in my 5th month (and 6th month actually)! It was a very small breakout out (i.e. 1 or 2 cystic pimples compared to pre-accutane breakouts of 6 or 7) but it was frustrating and worrisome nonetheless. I cleared up completely after stopping my course, and I think that happens for a good amount of people. I would say try to avoid all of the things that you think contribute to your acne (i.e., wash your face with distilled water, maybe cover your face when going outside?), and see how you do.

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 11/12/2014 11:22 pm

Hmm - I remember breaking out in cystic acne in my 5th month (and 6th month actually)! It was a very small breakout out (i.e. 1 or 2 cystic pimples compared to pre-accutane breakouts of 6 or 7) but it was frustrating and worrisome nonetheless. I cleared up completely after stopping my course, and I think that happens for a good amount of people. I would say try to avoid all of the things that you think contribute to your acne (i.e., wash your face with distilled water, maybe cover your face when going outside?), and see how you do.

I'll try to do that. Did you have to take Accutane again after that and do you still get cysts sometimes?

I forgot to mention I also bumped up my dosage for my last month. I don't know if a dosage increase can cause an initial outbreak/flare-up like some people get when just starting it, but I think it actually may have started slightly before I increased the dose.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/13/2014 3:34 pm

I'll try to do that. Did you have to take Accutane again after that and do you still get cysts sometimes?

I forgot to mention I also bumped up my dosage for my last month. I don't know if a dosage increase can cause an initial outbreak/flare-up like some people get when just starting it, but I think it actually may have started slightly before I increased the dose.

Yes, an increase in dosage can absolutely cause a flare-up. It will probably calm down again in a few days. So, your flare-up is very likely related to your increase in dosage and probably not to water or cold, although they may be exacerbating it. How long is your doctor keeping you on the medication? It seems very late in the game to be bumping your dose after 5 months, but I am sure they have a good reason.

To answer your first question, I was breaking out in months 5 and 6. I got a small cyst towards the end of my last month as I said (month 6) and another one again a little more than a month after stopping. I haven't had any cystic acne since then.

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 11/16/2014 9:32 am

Hmm, I'm still breaking out about everyday. Luckily the Accutane cures the big acne bumps relatively fast, but I have no idea why I'm getting them everyday and if this is happening on my last month of Accutane I wonder how bad it might get once I'm off of it. My skin is a LOT dryer than usual, and winter weather just kicked in about the time the breakouts started so that's why I thought it might be a factor. I've been moisturizing but I don't know what to do other than that.This is supposed to be my last month on Accutane but who knows if my treatment will be extended since I randomly started to break out so bad

Stephfi liked
MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 12/03/2014 12:53 am

Course is almost complete but still getting some acne. Not sure if my derm is going to extend my course due to the acne coming back.

MemberMember
(@jayesbro)

Posted : 12/05/2014 11:22 pm

He may need to up your dosage, but I just came off of Accutante, and it's been pretty pleasent. I blemish here or there every couple of weeks, but nothing cystic anymore.

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 12/07/2014 6:19 am

How many months were you on Jayesbro? In a few days I'll have completed my course. I've been clear the last week or so, so when I saw my derm she didn't seem to think I needed another month. I'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed. I'll try to come back to this topic months later to update my status.

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 01/05/2015 3:54 am

An update: I've been off of it for probably over a month now, and I've been clear ever since. I want to use Retin-A again to prevent wrinkles but I also want to wait it out to see if my acne comes back without any products so I know if I need a second dose sooner rather than later.

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 01/25/2015 1:28 am

Another update: So far my face has been amazingly clear after ending my course. I used to get body acne on my neck, back and chest too, sometimes in the form of cystic nodules. No problems with that lately either but I do seem to be getting some keratosis pilaris bumps on my upper arms, which I had before accutane. No nasty zits or anything so far though. I've been using Retin-A to help get rid of leftover PIH marks and prevent wrinkles and so far no intitial breakout or anything either.

MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/26/2015 12:03 am

I had Keratosis Pilaris on the upper backs of my arms for a few years after my 2nd course of Accutane too. I can't say for sure that it was CAUSED by it, but it was horrible.

I had to wear and shop for sleeved shirts for so long that I STILL look for those kinds of tops even though it went away years ago.

Does anyone know if it has been determined that Accutane CAUSES KP?

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/26/2015 8:40 am

Another update: So far my face has been amazingly clear after ending my course. I used to get body acne on my neck, back and chest too, sometimes in the form of cystic nodules. No problems with that lately either but I do seem to be getting some keratosis pilaris bumps on my upper arms, which I had before accutane. No nasty zits or anything so far though. I've been using Retin-A to help get rid of leftover PIH marks and prevent wrinkles and so far no intitial breakout or anything either.

Great news

I thought after tane u had to take a few mnths off of actives etc?

Dr said u could use retin-a right away (cream what %)

I want to try tri-luma after tane..supposed ot be good for anti-aging but also fading hyper-pigmentation and freckles.sun spots (which is an issue for me)

GL

Kim

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 01/26/2015 4:03 pm

I had Keratosis Pilaris on the upper backs of my arms for a few years after my 2nd course of Accutane too. I can't say for sure that it was CAUSED by it, but it was horrible.

I had to wear and shop for sleeved shirts for so long that I STILL look for those kinds of tops even though it went away years ago.

Does anyone know if it has been determined that Accutane CAUSES KP?

I had KP before Accutane and it seemed to go away while I was on it. But now it seems to be coming back. At first I thought my body acne was coming back but it's actually KP in the same areas I was diagnosed with it before.

Great news

I thought after tane u had to take a few mnths off of actives etc?

Dr said u could use retin-a right away (cream what %)

I want to try tri-luma after tane..supposed ot be good for anti-aging but also fading hyper-pigmentation and freckles.sun spots (which is an issue for me)

GL

Kim

I didn't ask my doctor but I waited a month before being off of it to start using it. I still had some and wanted to use something to fade the PIH marks,and it does look like it's helping a bit already. I haven't noticed any adverse effects so far.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/26/2015 5:57 pm

Ok thanks

My Dr actually said you could use retin-a while on tane..not like u will over dose

but skin is sensitive and to play with it

lets just say after a few days my skin was red and bumpty.not a good look on tane..!

kim

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 04/10/2015 2:16 pm

I've been using Retin-A since my last post and my skin has stayed amazingly clear since I stopped Accutane, until this last week. Now I have a new cyst or boil or something on my nose. I was away from home and house-sitting for a family member when it happened so I don't know if it was environmental factors that caused it. Just as all the post-inflammatory marks were finally fading, it looks like I have to deal with this stuff again. I'm just hoping this one doesn't leave an indented scar. I can go back to my dermatologist and get back on Accutane if more develop and this becomes a problem again but currently I don't have enough money for the monthly copays. I was taking my clear skin for granted, just focusing on fading the leftover PIH. I'm glad that it's just currently just one bump so far, but I was starting to forget how much it sucks to get even one cyst.

I'm applying clindamycin gel on top of it since that's all I can really do right now.