Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi & Thank you Dan & everyone for this site. I am the mom of a 12 1/2 year old 7th grader. Just this year he has had puberty hit him all at once. His voice changed and everything and he got severe acne. It's everywhere on his face and I think it's every kind of acne you could have, all at the same time. We have been trying everything over the counter like washes and creams and even my Clindamycin T-Gel which is prescription but I have only used it for my own pretty mild acne. Anyway, nothing is working at all. It hasn't even helped a little bit. He says people at school are calling him "Pizza Face". I can't believe how creul kids are to eachother- it's disgusting!

We are going to start trying this regime today. I am going to go out and buy the stuff today. I was just wondering- I see a lot of you posting that are teens and using your birthday money and stuff to buy acne products- Do your parents help? Do they care? What can a parent do? We don't have a lot of $ but I don't even care about the money. If there was something that was $1,000 but it would make it go away today I would find a way. I made him an appointment at a Derm for the soonest I could which is not until 11/15. I am just hoping that this regime is going to work so good that I can cancel it. I am kind of afraid of accutane and some of these drugs. I don't want to hurt his health, but I am also worried about his emotional health! Any suggestions from others around his age on what your parents do to help or what you wish they would do?

Thanks!

Hi & Thank you Dan & everyone for this site. I am the mom of a 12 1/2 year old 7th grader. Just this year he has had puberty hit him all at once. His voice changed and everything and he got severe acne. It's everywhere on his face and I think it's every kind of acne you could have, all at the same time. We have been trying everything over the counter like washes and creams and even my Clindamycin T-Gel which is prescription but I have only used it for my own pretty mild acne. Anyway, nothing is working at all. It hasn't even helped a little bit. He says people at school are calling him "Pizza Face". I can't believe how creul kids are to eachother- it's disgusting!

We are going to start trying this regime today. I am going to go out and buy the stuff today. I was just wondering- I see a lot of you posting that are teens and using your birthday money and stuff to buy acne products- Do your parents help? Do they care? What can a parent do? We don't have a lot of $ but I don't even care about the money. If there was something that was $1,000 but it would make it go away today I would find a way. I made him an appointment at a Derm for the soonest I could which is not until 11/15. I am just hoping that this regime is going to work so good that I can cancel it. I am kind of afraid of accutane and some of these drugs. I don't want to hurt his health, but I am also worried about his emotional health! Any suggestions from others around his age on what your parents do to help or what you wish they would do?

Thanks!

My rents care.

They'd take me to a derm if I wanted to go (but I don't) and when/if I find/found a product that works they'd keep buying it for me if I didn't have the money myself. However my parents don't have a lot of money because my dad's job wouldn't support most families with 2 kids. And there are 5 kids younger than me around here- not to mention my mom homeschools us all (she has her teachers license and used to teach in public schools).

I'm pretty self supportive (for living at home that is, as a 16 year old). I pay my dad for car insurance and gasoline. I buy my own clothes, toothpaste, shampoo... everything.

However if I needed it, they'd pay for my acne meds. However I don't like them mentioning it- i prefer them to ignore it (as it is not a huge deal, rather mild and getting under control).

But it's good to know they'd be there for me if I needed it. biggrin.gif

I was like you, too Esjay. I worked and paid for a lot of my own stuff. I don't intend to spoil my son by paying for everything for him, but I look at this like a medical problem. He doesn't make a big deal about his acne, so maybe I shouldn't either. When he shared with his dad that kids were calling him "Pizza Face" he wasn't super upset about it but I am sure that it hurts, it just has to! I think I am more upset than he is at this point. I don't want him to go through it.

Rayzmom..its so nice to see parents on this board trying to help their kids smile.gif kudos to you, youre awesome! and i can definitely appreciate that, as my mom has been extremely helpful to me all throughout my struggle with acne. lol i remember when it was mild in gr8 she gave me some of her rx topicals to use biggrin.gif lol gotta love moms. but yea, when things started getting moderate, she took me to an acne clinic to have it addressed, and since then has brought me to countless appointments, has picked up many prescriptions, and has also taken me to a few glycolic peels and blue light therapy. she's been completely amazing, im so grateful for her support, it really means something to us when parents care, and i know that some dont see it as a problem, and figure that "we'll grow out of it". but the truth it, acne can be very harmful on one's self esteem etc, so parents that get involved and try to help their kids if they sense the child is affected are really great smile.gif again, so nice to hear your story, best of luck to you and your son smile.gif - lisa

I've been on accutane for almost 4 months. I believe accutane doesn't make you depressed. Most people who go on accutane have had severe acne witch could have made them depressed to begin with. Just make sure you talk to your child a lot and if he seems a little unusual talk to him about it to make sure he isn't depressed. The worst symptoms I've ever gotten were dry lips witch my dermotologist said about 90% patients get but I use lip bomb everyday so it's not bad. I also get nose bleeds once in awhile since I've been on it.

Seriously, if your child has sever acne I suggest you try to get a dermatologist to prescribe him some accutane fast. The sooner your child on accutane the less of a chance they will have cysts and acne scarring. You can always just take your kid off it if he starts showing bad side affects. Believe me, Accutane is really worth it. Your kid will love you I swear to god lol. It rules.

Ok well I will keep an open mind about accutane if the derm is willing to prescribe it and if he wants it and if the regimen isn't working by then. Do people still do the regimen while one a medication like accutane? Is more better or is it too much?

My parents care, they've bought me a lot of over-the-counter medication and just recently they bought me some prescribed cream and next month they're going to take me to a derm.

The effects of acne (and scarring if it's cystic) on your sons character is dwarfed by any "emotional" problems he will have with accutane. Acne is not a superficial problem (this is not an opinion, it has been proven through studies that the emotional scars will affect who they become in life). The feeling of being clear is substantial compared to that of only "safely controlling" acne breakouts. Accutane is a fantastic drug and when incorporated with blood tests and supplements such as fish oil is not only safe, but an uplifting experience (after the first few months that is mad.gif ).

I take 80mg (weigh 145 lb.), fish oil, and joint supplements.

The only problems I have are dryness of the lips and around the mouth.

take accutane, bp will not help severe acne much.. accutane will change his life..

Ok well I will keep an open mind about accutane if the derm is willing to prescribe it and if he wants it and if the regimen isn't working by then. Do people still do the regimen while one a medication like accutane? Is more better or is it too much?

somehow i don't feel comfortable talking about my condition in front of my parents, not to say asking them for money to buy medication.

I dont really talk to my parents alot my face has tons of marks which wont go away i dont bother them with my problems since they have there own

I really used to get mad at my parents for trying to help because to me, it was like my parents were admitting their only son was ugly. Luckily, I wised up after being so stupid.

Hah, I was so bull-headed my mom tricked me into going in for a derm appointment. She told me I was going to see my usual doctor when suddenly I was told to go into Department A as opposed to my usual Department C. The derm came in, and the first thing she says is, "You're here for your skin, right?" My response?

"Wait a sec, what the fuck?"

She told me that my "sister" made an appointment for me at my request. Fortunately, after laughing about the appointment, I chilled out a lot about my skin and actually thanked both of my parents for loving me enough to do something even though I specifically told them not to.

My parents were concerned bout my skin and I was always open to them about it. They would buy me any product I asked for. But I had to cry first before my mom brought me to the derm.. confused.gif

Hey Rayzmom - My daughters skin problems started at grade 6 or 7. We've tried everything over the years and I've spent thousands on it. Don't mind because some of it worked for a while. She is now on accutane at age 16 and doing fine. I would not cancel that appointment. If it really is severe they will put him on an oral antibiotic at first. They might even go to accutane. You'll save him a lot of grief by taking him. My daughter actually resisted going for a long time. We fought about it a lot and still do sometimes when I try to tell her what to eat LOL. I'm learning not to go there.

Anyway, just wanted you to know you are not alone. I know I've worried ten times more about her face than she has because I went through the acne horror myself and didn't want her to have to go through all that. I'm so hoping accutane works for her. Good luck to you and your son.

Guest brokencocoon

Thanks!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I felt ok talking about my skin condition to my parents when I was a teenager (that's like 238 years ago).

Rayzmom...glad you're so attentive to your child's acne problem. Hope he appreciates your effort.

I had lots of small breakouts for a couple years when I was about 13-19 years old. Certain people have their own period of breakouts. I don't know..*shrug*

The one and only person who EVER made fun of me (to my face) about my skin was my Mother (and her boyfriend too I guess- they were like the tag team). And I really can't tell you how deeply it hurt or how bad it has affected how I relate to the world (women in particular). The one person who was supposed to unconditionally see her daughter as beautiful and precious, saw me as ugly and someone to compete with.

I feel so much joy reading your words. You sound like a wonderful Mother.

Your son is very lucky, and I wish you guys much luck in dealing with his skin.

Much love to you- wub.gif

Take care.

Sounds like your gonna be OK. You're right, she can't give what she doesn't have to give. And you can't choose which family you're born into. Like you said, just take good care of yourself. Some professional counselling at some point might be helpful. I did that to get over some issues with my own parents (a long time ago) and found it extremely helpful. I hope I don't screw up my own kids too badly...

Guest brokencocoon
Sounds like your gonna be OK.  You're right, she can't give what she doesn't have to give.  And you can't choose which family you're born into.  Like you said, just take good care of yourself.  Some professional counselling at some point might be helpful.  I did that to get over some issues with my own parents (a long time ago) and found it extremely helpful.  I hope I don't screw up my own kids too badly...