Notifications
Clear all

Do I Need To Wash My Face While On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@egamcomp)

Posted : 11/10/2014 9:50 pm

So I just started my 3rd month of accutane.

And like most people, my derm told me to wash my face twice a day with a gentle face wash.

However, I barely ever wash my face. Maybe 5 times at most in the past 2 months.

Will not washing my face have long term consequences on the effects of accutane?

Attached are pics of my face right now.

post-435042-124894_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/11/2014 7:29 pm

You need to wash your face with a gentle face wash morning and night and use

Moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@egamcomp)

Posted : 11/12/2014 8:37 am

Moisturizer.

And if I dont?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/12/2014 1:24 pm

Moisturizer.

And if I dont?

I don't know why you wouldn't want to wash and moisturize your face, and I am sure there are a million reasons why it's important on accutane, but the two that come to mind are:

1) Accutane will severely dry out your skin, even if it is normally very oily. Most people have to increase their moisturizing regimen on accutane, to avoid uncomfortable side effects like peeling. So if you are not moisturizing AT ALL, you will probably experience rashes (i.e. eczema), significantly increased inflammation (prolonging and exacerbating breakouts), and worst of all, putting yourself at risk for secondary bacterial infection

2) Gently washing your face in the morning and at night with a mild cleanser is very important, especially for acne sufferers, as dirt, sebum, and dead skills can build up on the surface of the skin. Research as shown that the skin of acne sufferers has an especially hard time sloughing up this build-up naturally, so not washing it can lead to microcomedones (tiny microscopic plugs in the skin) that will eventually become inflammed acne. Of course, this will interfere with the efficacy of accutane, and may prolong breakout periods while on the drug.

Is there a reason why you wish to avoid washing your face?

MemberMember
(@egamcomp)

Posted : 11/12/2014 11:59 pm

Moisturizer.

And if I dont?

I don't know why you wouldn't want to wash and moisturize your face, and I am sure there are a million reasons why it's important on accutane, but the two that come to mind are:

1) Accutane will severely dry out your skin, even if it is normally very oily. Most people have to increase their moisturizing regimen on accutane, to avoid uncomfortable side effects like peeling. So if you are not moisturizing AT ALL, you will probably experience rashes (i.e. eczema), significantly increased inflammation (prolonging and exacerbating breakouts), and worst of all, putting yourself at risk for secondary bacterial infection

2) Gently washing your face in the morning and at night with a mild cleanser is very important, especially for acne sufferers, as dirt, sebum, and dead skills can build up on the surface of the skin. Research as shown that the skin of acne sufferers has an especially hard time sloughing up this build-up naturally, so not washing it can lead to microcomedones (tiny microscopic plugs in the skin) that will eventually become inflammed acne. Of course, this will interfere with the efficacy of accutane, and may prolong breakout periods while on the drug.

Is there a reason why you wish to avoid washing your face?

Ok, so I'll wash my face twice a day.

I am worried because I did not wash my face for the first 2 months on the drug. There's nothing I can do about it at this point, but should I be worried?

Also, after I wash my face, should I put body lotion on the entire face? Usually I put a little bit around the acne because it feels awkward spreading lotion over the acne

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/13/2014 3:27 pm

Have you seen improvement? If not - washing your face might help speed things along. If so, you probably didn't do any lasting damage, but starting now won't hurt. Just remember to use a very MILD cleanser specifically formulated for sensitive skin (i.e., cetaphil if you can find it).

As for moisturizer - you should not be using body lotion. You should be using fragrance free facial moisturizers formulated for sensitive skin. Cerave is one people talk about, but some like it some don't. Body lotion is not a good thing to put on your face because it often contains pore-clogging inredients and fragrances that are to harsh for the sensitive skin on your face. And yes, you should be putting it all over your face and neck.

A good, simple regimen:

AM

1) wake up in the morning, wash your face with luke-warm water and a mild cleanser like cetaphil

2) while skin is still damp (but not wet) apply facial moisturizer (preferable with SPF) if no SPF in the moisturizer, layer on a UVA/UVB sunscreen with spf 15 or higher

PM

1) before going to bed, gently wash your face with a mild cleanser (remove make-up if wearing any). Be especially carefuly not to rub too hard, using your hands is best.

2) apply a facial moisturizer while skin is still damp and allow to absorb.

Thats it. Again, apply moisturizer in a thin layer all over your face and neck. Use a moisturizer formulated for the face. It's fine to use regular body lotions on the body, although I would lean towards fragrance-free.