Notifications
Clear all

Scarring And Hyperpigmentation After Picking

MemberMember
(@what123)

Posted : 11/09/2014 9:42 am

Hey

About 9 months ago I started breaking out a lot in the area around my jaw. I have a bad habit of picking compulsively, and now I am left with red marks all over my jaw and cheeks. These marks have made me even more reserved and withdrawn than I was before, and looking at old pictures of myself makes me feel like shit. Shaving is also very hard, and would probably make the spots look even worse.

I have been using Epiduo for about one and a half years, and it has, for the most part, helped keep the acne under control. I wash my face twice a day with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar foaming gel.

My question is: Has anyone been in a situation similar to mine? If so, what's effective for treating these sorts of red marks? Is there anything I can get prescribed by a doctor/derm? I'd be happy if I could just make them less noticeable and red

The left side:

post-434718-0-55174500-1415542995.jpg

The right side:

post-434718-0-77217700-1415543003.jpg

MemberMember
(@bob88)

Posted : 11/10/2014 1:57 pm

Hello, I have been (and am) in same situation, I had a relapse and been picking my skin like mad and have red marks all over my face which I'm trying to get rid of. Now first and foremost do try and stop picking! If you leave your skin alone just for a week you will notice improvement in red marks - when you pick your skin you are aggravating it and making it thinner which can take longer for red marks to heal. From your photos I really don't think your skin is bad it just looks a bit inflamed and I'd suggest perhaps only washing your face once a day. Now what I do is whenever I'm in the house or before bed I put dollops of vaseline over my red marks and pimples and this seems to make them heal effectively and they are pretty much gone after two - three weeks plus it stops me picking at them. Of course everyone is different but this seems to work for me the most and believe me I've tried everything over the years! Good luck and don't worry you're not alone!!!

MemberMember
(@what123)

Posted : 11/10/2014 4:25 pm

Hello, I have been (and am) in same situation, I had a relapse and been picking my skin like mad and have red marks all over my face which I'm trying to get rid of. Now first and foremost do try and stop picking! If you leave your skin alone just for a week you will notice improvement in red marks - when you pick your skin you are aggravating it and making it thinner which can take longer for red marks to heal. From your photos I really don't think your skin is bad it just looks a bit inflamed and I'd suggest perhaps only washing your face once a day. Now what I do is whenever I'm in the house or before bed I put dollops of vaseline over my red marks and pimples and this seems to make them heal effectively and they are pretty much gone after two - three weeks plus it stops me picking at them. Of course everyone is different but this seems to work for me the most and believe me I've tried everything over the years! Good luck and don't worry you're not alone!!!

Thanks for the answer man. This is the first time I'm hearing about using Vaseline for red spots. From what I've read it sounds pretty effective, and I'm going to give it a try. Is 6 times a day necessary, or is once enough?

The hardest part is not picking, though. I am going to try my best not to

MemberMember
(@clearmira)

Posted : 12/28/2014 10:39 am

I do have to say, I really want to hear your story on how your red marks are now! I have only been using vaseline for a few days (and documenting it on my page), and I have to say it is amazing at soothing and reducing acne! I personally use it as a makeup removing all in one cleanser, followed by rose water, which is amazing stuff for inflammation! hope it is going well for you and wishing you all the best :)