Notifications
Clear all

Accutane, We Meet Again. Round 2 -- 40Mg.

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/08/2014 11:08 pm

Didn't think I'd be back so soon, but such is life.

I completed my first course in April 2014 and had crystal clear skin until October came around. I went on a week long vacation to Hong Kong and my skin freaked out. It was just as bad as pre-Accutane, and did not subside even after I had been home for a few weeks. Luckily my dermatologist understands how badly acne affects my mental state so she didn't make me jump through any hoops again before agreeing to put me on a second round. I realize it's quite premature, but I'm not the type of person who can "cope" with acne and it therefore needs to be addressed promptly.

This time around instead of generic Accutane I am taking Epuris (Canadian-like version of Absorbica) so hopefully that makes a difference. I'm also starting on 40mg where as last course I started on 10mg. I'm praying to avoid the initial breakout like I did before.

As for the casualties, I'm a 21 year old female. 130 lbs. Hello!

Day 2:
My forehead looks like it is inhabited by a small village!!!!!!!! Such fun. No side effects.
Day 4:
No side effects.

Day 7:

Skin is a tad dry but that might be due to the sudden drop in temperature. I'm breaking out quite a bit.

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 11/08/2014 11:38 pm

Hi!

I wish you the best of luck for your second round!

What was your dosage and how long did you take it on your first course?

Will you be staying on 40 mg for the whole 2nd course?

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/09/2014 3:09 pm

Hi!

I wish you the best of luck for your second round!

What was your dosage and how long did you take it on your first course?

Will you be staying on 40 mg for the whole 2nd course?

Hi Mary!

My first round occurred like this:

1st month: 10mg

2nd month: 20mg

3rd month: 20mg

4th month: 40mg

5th month:40mg

6th month: 60mg

7th month: 60mg

8th month: 60mg

I stayed on it so long because the acne stuck around, and ended up clearing AFTER I stopped taking it (weird!)

I think my derm will bump me up to 60mg at some point.

MemberMember
(@superviolet)

Posted : 11/10/2014 4:55 am

Hey! I just started my second round too, so I'll be following your log to see your progress also :)

Totally sucks to have clear skin after Accutane and then for it to all come back :(

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/13/2014 7:38 pm

Hey! I just started my second round too, so I'll be following your log to see your progress also

Totally sucks to have clear skin after Accutane and then for it to all come back

Good luck! Yes it really does suck. To think that a month ago I had crystal clear skin and now this..... It's hard to come to terms with.

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/17/2014 8:03 pm

Day 11:

My skin is definitely more dry as are my lips. I'm breaking out a lot, more than usual I believe. Starting to feel very down

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 11/17/2014 8:23 pm

Don't give up, even if it's hard! Remember why you are doing this! When you say that you're breaking out, how many active pimples have you got and how many would you say you used to have during a regular break out pre-tane? I'm curious because I'm on day 7 and I don't know how to be sure it is an initial or just a regular breakout that I'm having.

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/17/2014 11:36 pm

Don't give up, even if it's hard! Remember why you are doing this! When you say that you're breaking out, how many active pimples have you got and how many would you say you used to have during a regular break out pre-tane? I'm curious because I'm on day 7 and I don't know how to be sure it is an initial or just a regular breakout that I'm having.

Thank you for your support :)

The past few days I've had about 4-5 very inflamed pimples which is what I'm used to - or what I was used to before my first round of Accutane anyway - but now I'm also getting dozens of small pimples and whiteheads that are pretty much covering my entire forehead at this point.

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/21/2014 8:25 pm

Day 15: 2 weeks on Accutane

So my skin definitely got a bit worse on the 5th day. Lots of redness and angry-looking spots. Now my skin is just filled with a lot of little spots, nothing too inflamed though. It's not ridiculously dry, but it's getting there. The corners of my lips are cracking like crazy despite the fact that I'm applying Aquaphor every hour. Also my eyes are super dry, as they were during my first course. I'm using eyedrops.

I'm getting agitated and impatient, probably because this is my second try, but I just feel so desperate to have clear skin again.

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/28/2014 8:02 pm

Anybody out there?

Day 22:

My skin has definitely improved, hopefully it stays that way. I have 2 active spots right now and a few tiny zits but aside from that everything is clear and smooth. My side effects include dry eyes, dry hands, dry corners of my lips, general fatigue.

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 11/28/2014 8:50 pm

I'm reading! ;)

Happy to know it's starting to improve! I am still in the IB... I'm staying positive but I just feel so ugly! But I feel that I have been really lucky so far, since I have very minor side effects... not very different from what I am used too.

I hope the improvement continues for you!! :)

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/29/2014 9:35 pm

I'm reading!

Happy to know it's starting to improve! I am still in the IB... I'm staying positive but I just feel so ugly! But I feel that I have been really lucky so far, since I have very minor side effects... not very different from what I am used too.

I hope the improvement continues for you!!

Hey Mary!

What day are you on?

Unfortunately I've just broken out again..

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 11/29/2014 9:57 pm

I'm on day 18. I'm on 30 mg/ day and I will be upped to 60 mg/day in 12 days. And a little nervous about it!

Damn breakout! Is it really bad?

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 11/30/2014 8:05 pm

I'm on day 18. I'm on 30 mg/ day and I will be upped to 60 mg/day in 12 days. And a little nervous about it!

Damn breakout! Is it really bad?

What is your weight? I did 60mg for the last few months of my 1st round and it was pretty intense, but the results really kicked in then as well!

Yeah pretty bad. It's strange how one minute my skin looks nearly perfect and the next minute I'll have a couple hugely inflamed angry spots, then the spots heal quickly but then I get a million whiteheads the next day, then the next day it's nearly perfect again. Haha. Accutane works in absurd ways.

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 11/30/2014 10:28 pm

I weigh 58 kg. I am nervous about the side effects when I will be taking 60 mg cause until now it has been so easy!! My lips are not cracking, they feel a little drier but that is more than bearable. My skin is also a little drier in some areas (chin, nose and around, between my eyebrows). No fatigue, back nor joint pain so far. Well, nothing different from how I usually feel. No flushing nor skin sensitiveness. I am also having a very good mood. The only bad thing is how I look in the mirror but today was a good skin day.

I find it also funny how my skin changes during a day or from one day to another. I am trying to write every night in a notebook how many new pimples I had on the day but it is like I can't tell anymore! They come and go and come back and disappear! And some I can't tell if they are new or if they were already there. Strange!

We must not give up!!

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/01/2014 4:02 pm

Unfortunately with Accutane and with life, the easy things don't produce the best results haha. It sounds to me like your side effects are minimal enough that you don't need to worry about bumping up to 60mg.

MaryC liked
MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/07/2014 12:29 am

Day 30 - 1 month.

My dose has been bumped up to 60mg which I began 2 days ago. My skin hasn't showed significant improvement compared to when I started, however things are looking a lot better than they were during my initial breakout the 1st/2nd week.

Side Effects...

Eyes are very, very, VERY dry. Lips and skin are moderately dry. Hands are very dry and have the lovely Accutane rash going on. I've been extremely irritable as well but that might be related to a different medication I recently started.

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/12/2014 3:31 pm

I know I'm only on my second month but I've lost all patience at this point. I refuse to spend another day hating how I look and thereby hating myself.

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 12/12/2014 4:45 pm

Sarah, I know how you feel, but remember you are in the worst moment... Don't give up before you start seeing results!!

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/13/2014 5:49 pm

Sarah, I know how you feel, but remember you are in the worst moment... Don't give up before you start seeing results!!

I think it's just particularly hard because this is my second time and I didn't expect to have to be dealing with it again

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/15/2014 6:43 pm

Day 39:

Ugh, I'm breaking out so bad. I can only assume that it's due to the dose increase. It's the holidays and I want to be spending time with family but I'm embarrassed and staying in complete isolation. I just really hope it gets better in the next few days...

Same side effects, but exhaustion is getting worse.

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 12/15/2014 9:19 pm

How long have you been on 60 mg? 9 days? I am on my 5th day on 60 mg and I can see breakout #2 on the way. I just hope it does not get so bad as breakout #1 and that it will not last long.

Don't give up! We are in the same boat.

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/16/2014 1:10 am

How long have you been on 60 mg? 9 days? I am on my 5th day on 60 mg and I can see breakout #2 on the way. I just hope it does not get so bad as breakout #1 and that it will not last long.

Don't give up! We are in the same boat.

Yeah I remember you were being bumped up to 60mg too, was curious to see if you broke out as well. It's so unfortunate to have 2 IBs... Hopefully this one goes away quicker.

I've been on 60 for 11 days

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 12/21/2014 11:39 pm

How are you doing Sarah?

Im on day #11 at 60 mg and I'm in breakout #2. Pimples are hurting so much!!!! Even if they are few, they are so ugly and painful that it feels way worst! Apart from this bad looking of my face (which affects my mood) I don't have new side effects. I think my lips are drier, but no joint pain, flushing or extremely dry skin.

I hope things are better for you!!

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/22/2014 1:35 am

How are you doing Sarah?

Im on day #11 at 60 mg and I'm in breakout #2. Pimples are hurting so much!!!! Even if they are few, they are so ugly and painful that it feels way worst! Apart from this bad looking of my face (which affects my mood) I don't have new side effects. I think my lips are drier, but no joint pain, flushing or extremely dry skin.

I hope things are better for you!!

Well my forehead stopped breaking out a few days ago and I reaaaaally hope it stays that way. But I've been getting a lot of cystic acne along my cheeks. They're luckily not too painful or terrible because my face is so dry which makes them just flaky patches. But I NEVER get cystic acne other than when I'm on Accutane, got it last time too but in my 5th month, so weird!

I'm so sorry you're having another breakout. I'm sure things will improve within the next week or so, and it will probably be the last initial breakout. My second one only lasted about a week. Happy Holidays!!