The Regimen During ...

Notifications
Clear all

The Regimen During The Winter

MemberMember
(@anotherstar)

Posted : 11/08/2014 3:19 pm

I have been doing so well on the Regimen since June. I cleared up SO fast and I've just been using a small glob of BP morning and night, no where near the amount that The Regimen calls for. However since the weather has been getting colder and artificial heat has been drying out my skin (I live in Michigan, winters here are TOUGH), there is no way I can keep up the Regimen!!! I've COATED my face in every soothing and moisturizing cream I have right now and nothing makes it budge. I've tried my CeraVe moisturizing cream, Lac-Hydrin 5 and jojoba oil but nothing keeps my skin hydrated. Right now I barely use any BP on most of my face, I just use about 2 pea size drops of BP on my chin and mouth area. The skin where I don't use any BP is super glowly and 110% clear. It's just my chin area that is broken out!

I know that the acne has to be caused from intense skin dehydration, my skin is flaking in rapid amounts. I wore foundation yesterday and by about 6pm my skin around the chin area had completed flaked off taking the foundation with it. I feel like the build up of dead skin cells and my naturally oily skin is just making the acne situation worse. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I look into an over the counter BP wash instead since the BP just sits on your face for a couple moments? Perhaps that would help the dryness...

If you have any suggestions please share!

(FYI my skin type is sensitive, acne prone, oily and the chin area is currently dehydrated because of the benzoyl peroxide. I have adult acne, I'm 24).

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 11/11/2014 9:39 am

Do you have The Acne.org Moisturizer? It works well when used generously, and extra jojoba oil added to any moisturizer gives it a boost. You might give Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion a try. It usually helps severely dry skin quite well.

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/12/2014 12:21 am

Manuka honey moisturizer can help nourish the skin and helps treat acne prone skin. It's made made of natural manuka honey extract and other types natural oils, so I can say it is good for dry and delicate skin types.

MemberMember
(@tophat44)

Posted : 11/13/2014 7:12 am

Eh, Brandy suggestion about going to the Acne.org moisturizer is questiontionable, it always broke me out and left me with massive flakes.

As for you, I'm currently dealing with the exact same problem, we even got clear at the same time! If you're using the pump, try going down to 1/2 pump. Also, put a humidifier in your room, sounds stupid but running a humidifier at night really brings moisturizer to your skin.

I should also recommend DML lotion, I loved it in the spring/summer; it's not quite helping my flakes as much now but it's still a great lotion.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 11/13/2014 10:19 am

I love the Cetaphil moisturizing cream. It is super thick and very hydrating. This stuff works wonders for me when I find my skin drier than usual from all the BP. It has also never broken me out so that is a plus.

MemberMember
(@anotherstar)

Posted : 11/14/2014 2:14 pm

Thanks for the tips and replies guys. I do use Dan's lotion and I do like the feel and smell of it but it just isn't very moisturizing for me even with jojoba oil. It was a great day moisturizer during the summer but now it doesn't cut it. So far I've just been using a pea size amount of BP on my face at night only and then using Lac Hydrin 5 as my moisturizer morning and night. It helps TREMENDOUSLY! I guess I'm just going to have to have two different regimen's depending on if it's summer or winter. I miss my 100% clear moisturized summer skin.

And yes! I do have a tub of Cetaphil moisturizer but I find that it breaks me out :S I have no idea why since it seems to have a lot of similar ingredients as my CeraVe cream and Lac Hydrin. But every time I use it I find I have clogged pores a couple days later.

I also went to the derm today (told myself I would not hold off if I got another cystic outbreak) and she gave me minocyclen for 2 months to clear up my back acne and the remaining two nodules on my face. I've never tried antibiotics for my acne so I hope it works. She said she did like to see that the majority of my face was clear and smooth and that my regimen sounded great. She said the acne that she did see, she would consider it moderate. She reminded me to wait 30 minutes after I wash my face before applying BP gel. That it will not be as irritating and dry if I let my face completely dry.

I'll let you guys know how this works for me!

MemberMember
(@anotherstar)

Posted : 11/15/2014 11:22 am

UGH woke up to another pimple today. I'm only breaking out in one corner of my chin I don't understand!! The other side of my face and chin is 100% clear and has been for weeks. It looks so odd. I'm just gonna assume it's from irritation of the one side, it was pretty dry and flaky last week and the week before. I hope minocyclen kicks in soon, it seems like once I get a breakout it takes WEEKS for me to get clear again. So annoying.

MemberMember
(@tophat44)

Posted : 11/15/2014 9:22 pm

UGH woke up to another pimple today. I'm only breaking out in one corner of my chin I don't understand!! The other side of my face and chin is 100% clear and has been for weeks. It looks so odd. I'm just gonna assume it's from irritation of the one side, it was pretty dry and flaky last week and the week before. I hope minocyclen kicks in soon, it seems like once I get a breakout it takes WEEKS for me to get clear again. So annoying.

This happens to me ALL the time, for nearly the past month the right side of my face has gotten 8-10 zits. While the rest of my face stays 100% clear. I just cleared the right side up and now the left corner of my mouth has a few

MemberMember
(@anotherstar)

Posted : 11/16/2014 12:22 pm

^ ugh I'm sorry TopHat this sucks so bad. I hope we can figure this out and get clear again. I hate having breakouts after being clear for so long. This week has been hard, I've canceled plans with friends because I'm ashamed of my face at the moment. I hate this cycle of acne having me down and depressed and affecting my social life.

So current update.. now I'm wondering if the Minocyclen is breaking me out? Is this possible? My face was on the mend before I started 100mg on Friday and now there's 3 new nodules. A couple hours after I took the second pill on Friday there felt like sharp little shooting needles under my skin, it was itchy! That never happens to me. It doesn't make sense an antibiotic could do that but now I'm searching around and seeing that others on the board said they had an initial breakout as well :S This is SO odd! Are some of us just THAT sensitive to anything that's suppose to help acne?

Also on a completely different note.. we were both clear during the summer months I'm wondering if we need more Vitamin D? My skin ALWAYS seems better in the summer. I was even in Florida for two weeks in July (talk about sticky and humid) but I didn't have a single break out, my skin was some of the flawless it's ever been. Since I don't see the sun for sometimes 5 months in a row in Michigan I honestly wonder if supplementing some vitamin D would help us.

MemberMember
(@danielpeng)

Posted : 11/24/2014 1:14 am

Very helpful, I also have similar problems.