Notifications
Clear all

Should I Only Wash My Face At Night And Only Use Water In The Morning?

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/04/2014 4:49 pm

I feel I'm close to end this horrible nightmare. I must be honest I'm too obsessed with having a perfect face. I see other guys at college and at the gym and can't help but to feel jealous of how good their faces look but mine looks ugly?

I'm 22 and right now well I'm dating and I also like to hookup, A LOT. I don't really believe sex/masturbation has any effect. I've had weeks without sex or masturbation and it's no different than not doing it. I have some of my friends who like to have sex too a lot and their face is acne free.

My acne wasn't that bad, but in July it got bad for some reason. I've tried a lot of things to get rid of this for once. Proactiv, AcneFree 3 step Severe kit, Neutrogena soaps and wash, Clearasyl 3 step, etc etc. In the past AcneFree did the trick, but not anymore I still get pimples.

During these 2 last weeks, I did this thing that my mom told me to do. So basically it's using AcneFree Cleanser (2.5 BP) only mixed with Green Tea dry leaves those that come in Lipton tea bags. I warm water and then after some minutes, I open the bag and mix it with AcneFree Cleanser, so you get this paste thing and then gently massage my face for about 2.5 - 3 minutes, and sometimes I leave it as a mas for 10 minutes, then rinse and finally I use the actual tea on my face, I soak a cotton bag and then use it my whole face. Well this worked nicely for 2 weeks, but I guess it's not working that well anymore or something, but my face is definitely THE HECK A LOT BETTER than before.

I want to try that regimen of only using water at morning, and wash it at night with the cleanser and green tea, but I'm kinda scared that I will break out again. I only used water this morning and my face isn't really that oily. Especially my nose which is the one that always gets oily. Is this a good idea?

All I want is to end this nightmare. Here some pictures of my acne (it looks irritated and reddish because I popped some before taking the pics), and how I want to look every day, all the time. ( I used camera Beauty Effect)

post-412080-0-72950400-1415137731.jpg

post-412080-0-80826800-1415137734.jpg

post-412080-0-49695800-1415137738.jpg

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/04/2014 7:56 pm

The only way to find out is to try it...try it a couple of times, see how you like it. Hope this keeps working for you since it worked before. Have you tried washing with a nonmedicated cleanser and spot-treating with Neutrogena On The Spot? Since you only have some isolated spots on your cheeks you could spot treat with a little 2.5% BP. I find that applying the treatment as a separate step is more effective than a medicated cleanser.

BTW, so not ugly...you have a very nice face! :)

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/04/2014 11:10 pm

Which nonmedicated cleanser do you mean?

I use this one k2-_ac382bb5-6a3a-46c2-97f3-cd8a9b3994ce

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/05/2014 9:14 am

There's several options for nonmedicated cleansers...the one I'd recommend is called Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. It's available in most drugstores and not expensive. Derm rec'd, hypoallergenic, won't clog pores...also clinically shown to be gentle as water. A lot of people on here use Cetaphil cleanser or CeraVe...they are also good options...I often just use warm water and a face cleanser here and there as needed, along with an oil-free moisturizer as my skin is prone to dryness followed by excess oil.

You can probably get away with spot treating after using your Neutrogena Acne Cleanser, but if you find you need to treat the whole cheek area, you'd be wise to switch to a nonmedicated cleanser or risk irritating your skin, which can cause breakouts.

I wouldn't get too carried away or obsess over "perfect" skin...you may end up overtreating and create more problems in the end. I don't know what your skin looked like before but looks pretty good now, IMO!

post-423166-0-64348200-1415196096.png

post-423166-0-36993900-1415196116.jpg

post-423166-0-38544100-1415196503.jpg

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/05/2014 6:25 pm

I work at Target. Gonna check tomorrow if they have it there. Does this wash has Salycilc Acid? Does it dry a lot the skin? I ask about SA because SA it's really bad for me, like terribly bad. It breaks me out, something BP never does.

So far with water only in the morning and AcneFree Cream at night with Green Tea, I have noticed my face is LESS oily than when I wash it twice!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/05/2014 8:47 pm

No, it does not contain salicylic acid...it is just a plain face wash and I have found it to be pretty gentle. My son really liked it, I bought it for him to use, but now he uses the Acne.Org cleanser and other products for his acne. With any face wash including the one you use now, be sure you are only washing for up to 10 seconds before rinsing or the product could increase dryness over time. Be sure you are being super gentle, too...avoid rubbing or scrubbing.

That's great that you are experiencing less oil with less product usage...it probably means following your regimen twice a day was too drying and your body was creating more oil to compensate.

If the AcneFree Cream and green tea are working, then stick with it...I was just giving you some other options to try if you find it stops being effective. I've found Neutrogena On The Spot 2.5% BP to be pretty effective at zapping zits fast! But with any acne treatment you choose, there will be periodic breakouts until acne resolves on its own, depending on hormones and other things and it doesn't necessarily mean the treatment isn't working, so try not to let yourself get discouraged or go crazy trying a million different products which may only lead to more skin problems. You have nice skin even if isn't perfect. (:

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/05/2014 9:20 pm

I don't have any Spot Treatments right now. I have actually used Neutrogena On The Spot 2.5% BP back in 2008. I think it worked good back then, but haven't bought it ever since I don't know why. Does it leave a white residue on your face? I can't remember very well if it did, I have tried AcneFree Terminator 10 (BP 10%) doesn't work that well and also Clearasyl with 10 BP in 2010, I hated this one even more. It left me a really really white residue on my face, it made look like I was using make up to be a clown.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/06/2014 9:36 am

Yes, NOTS can leave a white residue which is tres unattractive lol...but it beats having zits...use at bedtime only if you are worried about walking around with it on during the day. I'd stay away from any BP treatments that go over 2.5%...2.5% BP is just as effective as 5 and 10% formulas and way less harsh. My son uses the Acne.Org 2.5% BP which is a gel and dries clear, but he uses all over his face and not to spot treat. Yeah, he'd have major clown face if not for the gel lol

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/06/2014 11:06 pm

Ok now I wanted to know about a moisturizer. I'm kind of afraid of using them because I felt like they will break me out. Which ones are good? and are all moisturizers are made from Salycilc Acid (cause that thing breaks the hell out of my face)

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/07/2014 8:00 am

If you like the Neutrogena line, I'd recommend Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Combination Skin, if oil is a problem. Super lightweight, nongreasy feel, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free. Available at Target. Cetaphil also makes a good moisturizer that many on here use. Regardless of which moisturizer you choose, be sure to look for derm rec'd and noncomedogenic on the label. And to answer your question, completely 100% salicylic acid free! :)

post-423166-0-21383400-1415365205.jpg

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/07/2014 4:02 pm

I bought CeraVe today (it was on a nice sale) at Target gonna try it tonight after washing.

I just wanted to quick update. So this day 3 trying the Morning-water only , night-AcnFree wash, and so far I haven't had any new pimple on my face at all! Like I mentioned on day 2, my face is now leas oily/greasy than before.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/07/2014 6:50 pm

Awesome, sounds like you're on the right track with this! Finding what works for your skin can take a little trial and error.

CeraVe is a good product and many on here use it...cool you found a sale...score! :)

Let us know how you make out.

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/09/2014 9:35 pm

No new pimples at all. This regimen is working. I just have question. I did mention that my face is less oily, but it's still shiny during the afternoon. How do I get rid of that shine? Water only?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/10/2014 8:50 am

Great news!! Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction again!! I've read some posts recently of people having success managing oil control with a cod liver oil (Vitamin A) supplement. May be worth looking into...

Here's the links:

But I think it would be fine if you just wanted to give your face another splash of warm water during the day...see if that helps. At this point water and moisturizer are my only skin care products...I have combination oily/dry skin.

MemberMember
(@albert1285)

Posted : 11/13/2014 10:59 pm

Just wanted to update. Definitely water only in the morning and AcneFree cleanser + Moisturizer at night is definitely working . I'm so happy! my face looks better every day. Now since I'm trying to bulk up and gain some weight/muscle I have to eat a lot of things. I've been drinking a lot of whole milk with chocolate and peanut butter and guess what? I'm not really breaking out at all!! I may get only 1-2 mini zits that will die shortly after using Neutrogena On Spot cream.

My biggest question now is . What do I do now for my scars and marks? I have lots of them

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/13/2014 11:40 pm

Hey that's great! :) Glad this regimen is working for your skin...half the battle is finding what works...not always easy. I'd wait until you're clear before treating red marks...but when the time is right: AHA (glycolic acid) works great at speeding up the process!

Here's some more info:

http://www.acne.org/regimen-help.html#alphahydroxy