Notifications
Clear all

Absorica (Accutane) Log - 27F

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/04/2014 2:23 pm

About Me (kind of long so feel free to skim through or skip it completely) -

I started breaking out in my early twenties after living a blemish free life throughout high school. I was confused and upset, because I thought I had somehow escaped the wrath of acne. I was always extremely oily, which sucked, but could be solved by dabbing my face with oil blotter sheets throughout the day or reapplying powder. The acne was another story. I tried over the counter washes and scrubs, got facials, switched my makeup, tried Proactive, ect. Finally I had enough and went to the dermatologist who put me on antibiotics (I believe it was doxycycline) and a topical. My face, chest and back did show signs of improvement...for a little while. I'm not sure if my body got used to the antibiotics, or what, but the acne flared up again about a year later and continued to roller coaster from "I can't show my face, this is terrible" to "Ugh, I guess I'll cake 10 lbs of makeup on".

*Side note: My acne has never covered my entire face, chest, or back, but it's persistent. Large, painful cysts under the skin that take a week to expose themselves then another 2 weeks to finally start going away. Those types of cysts also made appearances on my chest and back along with little red bumps that just seem to always be there, but never give way to a white head. And then there's the scarring...

Fast forward to the beginning of this year. 26 years old and STILL suffering from the same issues. At this point I have tried doxycycline, doryx, epiduo, tretinoin cream, differin, aczone, ect. I've cut dairy out of my diet, I'm exercising religiously, being extremely diligent about washing my face at night and cleaning my makeup brushes, had my hormones checked, ect. I ended up switching Dermatologists because I was showing no signs of improvement after A YEAR ON ANTIBIOTICS and my previous Derm continued to prescribe the same regimen. If your derm spends less than 10 minutes with you and seems to walk in the room with a solution already in mind before even talking to you about your specific problem, I say find a new Dr! I am SO happy that I did. Anyway, after listening to my story and examining my skin my new Dermatologist prescribed Solodyn. I was on it for two months, wasn't seeing much improvement, and began experiencing terrible headaches. The headaches weren't a sign of anything serious, but after I was off Solodyn they did go away.

A couple weeks later I met with my Dermatologist and we discussed Accutane. We had talked about it before and he said that it was most likely the direction I was heading in based on the type of acne I have and the fact that I have tried it all. I was scared. I talked to EVERYONE about it, scoured the internet for good and bad stories, watched YouTube videos, read posts on acne.org, ect. I decided it was worth it. After all, almost every commercial you see on TV for medication sites crazy "possible side effects". What it comes down to for me is I'm sick of feeling embarrassed and holding myself back from doing certain things (like swimming because when I get out of the water my makeup will have come off, or needing to carry an arsenal of makeup and cover up solutions everywhere because I know that within an hour my face will be covered in shiny oil or the blemishes will be showing). So after taking the initial pregnancy test, registering with the iPledge program, getting my blood drawn to test liver and kidney function, cholesterol levels, ect. I went back to my Dermatologist. One more pregnancy test and I was on my way home to log into the iPledge program and answer the questions (mostly about birth control) that you have to complete before the pharmacy can fill your prescription. Two days later I received the medicine in the mail.

Now that we're up to speed...I've been prescribed 30mg of Absorica for one month with plans to up my dose to 60mg next month. Full course of treatment is expected to be 5 months.

*Side note: Accutane is no longer available, but everyone still refers to the generic brands as Accutane...I've read that Absorica is more closely related to Accutane than the other generics and that your body is able to absorb it much easier so you don't have to eat it with a high fat meal.

It's hard to explain how it feels to have adult acne to people without it, and even harder to explain the decision to go on such a powerful drug. I continuously get asked if I'm "always washing my face at night" or if I've "tried cutting out dairy, gluten, ect.". For some of us, a lifestyle change and keeping up with our hygiene is not enough.

So here we go...

October 25th - Day 1

30mg Absorica

• Face wash: Eau Thermale Avene Trixera+selectiose, Emollient cleansing gel, Soap-free/Fragrance-Free, For severely dry sensitive skin

• Sun Screen: Broad Spectrum SPF 50+

October 27th - Day 3

• Warm sensation on arms and face, almost like a mild sunburn but without the redness

October 29th - Day 5

• Warm sensation on arms and face, almost like a mild sunburn but without the redness

• A few small white heads popped up in the chin area

• Larger red cyst on jawline has developed white head throughout the day

October 30th - Day 6

• Small white heads that popped up on chin yesterday were gone by last night

• Larger red cyst on jawline seems to be healing, but I can feel one developing under the skin near mouth

• Skin seems EXTRA oily

• More red bumps on back than usual? Or maybe I™m just looking for them more now?

November 3rd - Day 10

• Breaking out more, especially in chin area

• Cysts and whiteheads are painful to the touch

• Skin feels uncomfortable, tight, oily and dry

• Slight peeling in chin area and on forehead

• Eyes are starting to dry out a bit

November 4th - Day 11

• Pretty much the same as yesterday - painful breakouts on chin, skin still feels tight, oily and dry. Haven't noticed any of the peeling today. Eyes seem to get slightly dry toward the end of the day (it's still early afternoon).

*Drinking TONS of water and green tea and continue to lather on Aquaphor throughout the day even though my lips aren't any more chapped than they sometimes get normally.

Thanks for reading! Would love to hear any tips, tricks, or anecdotes you care to share.

-Amber

post-430885-0-33745200-1415127876.jpg

post-430885-0-58905700-1415127879.jpg

post-430885-0-15894700-1415128262.jpg

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/04/2014 4:24 pm

Hi! Don't be too disappointed if things start looking a little worse before they get better in the next few days (actually, maybe not for another week or so). In the mean time, I would step up your moisturizing game (add a good moisturizing serum at night, stick to non pore clogging still of course, might help a bit with peeling). It's very important that you stay on top of your skin dryness, as rashes can develop if things get too dry. Also, if your eyes are starting to dry out, I would get thee to a pharmacy and buy eye-drops post haste. It is very important to use the eye drops especially at night to avoid waking up to your eye lids sticking to your eyeballs (an understandably uncomfortable feeling).

One tip I would recommend to anyone, try to keep up with taking pictures of yourself regularly, maybe once every couple of weeks the first couple of months, and then once a week when the improvement begins to accelerate. Keeping a log is also very helpful.

Also, try not to let continuing breakouts discourage you. It took me about 3-4 months before the breakouts diminished, and it could become quite disappointing when you get so excited that your skin might possibly be taking a turn for the better, then BAM massive cyst. That's where the logs and pictures come in, because it can really help put things in perspective .Three big ole cysts after a week of clarity all at once is frustrating, but when you look back at your pictures and see that this time last month you had 5, and the month before you had 7, it makes it suck a little less. :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 11/04/2014 11:41 pm

I agree with megtree! Get a moisturizer! I usually apply moisturizer after rinsing my face in the morning, after I shower and before I sleep. I was an oily mess too! I didn't stop being oily until.. maybe mid or end of week 2!

Oh! And lip balm! I always have one within arms reach!

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/05/2014 5:57 pm

Hi! Don't be too disappointed if things start looking a little worse before they get better in the next few days (actually, maybe not for another week or so). In the mean time, I would step up your moisturizing game (add a good moisturizing serum at night, stick to non pore clogging still of course, might help a bit with peeling). It's very important that you stay on top of your skin dryness, as rashes can develop if things get too dry. Also, if your eyes are starting to dry out, I would get thee to a pharmacy and buy eye-drops post haste. It is very important to use the eye drops especially at night to avoid waking up to your eye lids sticking to your eyeballs (an understandably uncomfortable feeling).

One tip I would recommend to anyone, try to keep up with taking pictures of yourself regularly, maybe once every couple of weeks the first couple of months, and then once a week when the improvement begins to accelerate. Keeping a log is also very helpful.

Also, try not to let continuing breakouts discourage you. It took me about 3-4 months before the breakouts diminished, and it could become quite disappointing when you get so excited that your skin might possibly be taking a turn for the better, then BAM massive cyst. That's where the logs and pictures come in, because it can really help put things in perspective .Three big ole cysts after a week of clarity all at once is frustrating, but when you look back at your pictures and see that this time last month you had 5, and the month before you had 7, it makes it suck a little less.

Thank you so much for the tips!

I'm definitely going to need to get used to staying moisturized. I always have some kind of lip balm by my side, so my lips are doing quite well so far. I'd like to think that staying hydrated is helping from the inside as well.

This morning my chin was peeling, but I think that's a good thing because the (current) cysts and pimples seem to be drying up. The uncomfortable, tight feeling isn't as bad as it has been the past couple of days either.

I appreciate you pointing out the fact that everything can look as though it's heading in a positive direction, then BOOM! Breakout. That's always in the back of my mind and I just keep reminding myself to take it day by day. I'm still so early on in this whole process. And that's just what it is...a process.

So great to have support from people who have been in my shoes.

Thanks again!

Oh, and I got Blink Gel Tears which feel really nice. Lip balm of choice has been Aquaphor and seems to be doing the trick. Any recommendations for a full body lotion without any perfumes or other possible irritants?

I agree with megtree! Get a moisturizer! I usually apply moisturizer after rinsing my face in the morning, after I shower and before I sleep. I was an oily mess too! I didn't stop being oily until.. maybe mid or end of week 2!

Thank you! Aquaphor has been doing the trick so far. Someone also recommended ChopSaver which I haven't tried, but may have to if Aquaphor stops being enough. You may have read my previous response where I asked this, but do you have any recommendations for a full body lotion without any perfumes or other possible irritants? I've noticed some dry patches on my upper arms and have developed little red dots of dryness on my hand (I've read about people getting full on dry patches on their hands so hopefully I'll be able to cut this off before it gets worse).

November 5 - Day 12 (Pictured w/ Makeup)

• Face doesn't feel quite as tight and uncomfortable has it has the past couple of days
  • Had dry, peely skin in chin area when I woke up and cysts and pimples that are there seem to be drying up
  • Using Blink Gel Tears at night and Aquaphor throughout the day. Both seem to be doing the trick.
  • Noticed little red dry dots (patches) on hand near thumb last night. Stepping up the moisturizing game.

Picture is of the left side/chin area where the problem seems to be concentrated right now. Also, wearing a bit of makeup so you can't really see the extent of the redness. Still pretty red.

post-430885-0-55719200-1415228023.jpg

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 11/05/2014 6:00 pm

Also, try not to let continuing breakouts discourage you. It took me about 3-4 months before the breakouts diminished, and it could become quite disappointing when you get so excited that your skin might possibly be taking a turn for the better, then BAM massive cyst. That's where the logs and pictures come in, because it can really help put things in perspective .Three big ole cysts after a week of clarity all at once is frustrating, but when you look back at your pictures and see that this time last month you had 5, and the month before you had 7, it makes it suck a little less.

I'm definitely going to need to get used to staying moisturized. I always have some kind of lip balm by my side, so my lips are doing quite well so far. I'd like to think that staying hydrated is helping from the inside as well.

This morning my chin was peeling, but I think that's a good thing because the (current) cysts and pimples seem to be drying up. The uncomfortable, tight feeling isn't as bad as it has been the past couple of days either.

I appreciate you pointing out the fact that everything can look as though it's heading in a positive direction, then BOOM! Breakout. That's always in the back of my mind and I just keep reminding myself to take it day by day. I'm still so early on in this whole process. And that's just what it is...a process.

Thanks again!

Oh, and I got Blink Gel Tears which feel really nice. Lip balm of choice has been Aquaphor and seems to be doing the trick. Any recommendations for a full body lotion without any perfumes or other possible irritants?

>>I agree with megtree! Get a moisturizer! I usually apply moisturizer after rinsing my face in the morning, after I shower and before I sleep. I was an oily mess too! I didn't stop being oily until.. maybe mid or end of week 2!

Thank you! Aquaphor has been doing the trick so far. Someone also recommended ChopSaver which I haven't tried, but may have to if Aquaphor stops being enough. You may have read my previous response where I asked this, but do you have any recommendations for a full body lotion without any perfumes or other possible irritants? I've noticed some dry patches on my upper arms and have developed little red dots of dryness on my hand (I've read about people getting full on dry patches on their hands so hopefully I'll be able to cut this off before it gets worse).

As it so happens, I do have recommendation (not sure if it's available where you are). For your body (I don't think it's meant for the face) Aveeno 24 hour moisturizing lotion worked wonders. They have both a regular and fragrance-free version although I didn't notice a difference in effect of my skin when I accidentally bought the regular version towards the end of my course, and It had a baby-powdery scent as opposed to the plastic-y smell most fragrance-free lotions (including the fragrance-free Aveeno) seem to have. It takes a bit of time for it to absorb into the skin, but it really does seem to keep dryness at bay for much longer than most any other body lotion I've tried. I think the key is also using it right after you get out of the shower while your skin is still damp, I found it absorbed more quickly and remained effective for longer.

I wouldn't recommend their face moisturizers, but in terms of tbody lotion and ointments, Aveeno is great for the price. Also, the brand is especially nice because they tend to formulate their stuff towards people who suffer with things like eczema and psoriasis, the symptoms of which are very similar to the somewhat rash-y side effects of accutane. As such even the ingredients they put in the lotion are intentionally none-irritating.

ambermo liked
MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/05/2014 6:05 pm

Thanks again!

>>I agree with megtree! Get a moisturizer! I usually apply moisturizer after rinsing my face in the morning, after I shower and before I sleep. I was an oily mess too! I didn't stop being oily until.. maybe mid or end of week 2!

Oh! And lip balm! I always have one within arms

reach!

As it so happens, I do have recommendation (not sure if it's available where you are). For your body (I don't think it's meant for the face) Aveeno 24 hour moisturizing lotion worked wonders. They have both a regular and fragrance-free version although I didn't notice a difference in effect of my skin when I accidentally bought the regular version towards the end of my course, and It had a baby-powdery scent as opposed to the plastic-y smell most fragrance-free lotions (including the fragrance-free Aveeno) seem to have. It takes a bit of time for it to absorb into the skin, but it really does seem to keep dryness at bay for much longer than most any other body lotion I've tried. I think the key is also using it right after you get out of the shower while your skin is still damp, I found it absorbed more quickly and remained effective for longer.

I wouldn't recommend their face moisturizers, but in terms of tbody lotion and ointments, Aveeno is great for the price. Also, the brand is especially nice because they tend to formulate their stuff towards people who suffer with things like eczema and psoriasis, the symptoms of which are very similar to the somewhat rash-y side effects of accutane. As such even the ingredients they put in the lotion are intentionally none-irritating.

Awesome, I was thinking Aveeno might be a good brand to try. So far I've just been using the Target brand aloe stuff that I had before I started treatment. It's okay, but I have a feeling I'm going to need something a little better.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 11/05/2014 9:15 pm

I actually use the cerave on my body too! I have a tub in my room and a tub in my bathroom for after I shower! How is your scalp? Mine was really itchy when I started accutane, but its actually stopped now... I was going to get some sort of heavy duty scalp treatment (didn't look into it yet) but glad I didn't. So maybe hold off for a few weeks if you are! I just use a lot of conditioner when I shower. Plus I only wash my hair twice a week heh heh

My saviour

Moisturizing-Cream-16oz-hero.png

MemberMember
(@beautyaddict888)

Posted : 11/05/2014 9:28 pm

I actually use the cerave on my body too! I have a tub in my room and a tub in my bathroom for after I shower! How is your scalp? Mine was really itchy when I started accutane, but its actually stopped now... I was going to get some sort of heavy duty scalp treatment (didn't look into it yet) but glad I didn't. So maybe hold off for a few weeks if you are! I just use a lot of conditioner when I shower. Plus I only wash my hair twice a week heh heh

My saviour

eusa_pray.gif

I use this on my body too! It's a great lotion...although I'm afraid im going to need a more thick cream later on .

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 11/05/2014 10:26 pm

My saviour

eusa_pray.gif

I use this on my body too! It's a great lotion...although I'm afraid im going to need a more thick cream later on .

Yeah, when it starts snowing, I may look for a more moisturizing one. I think I may grab one with shea butter!

Edit... I just ordered a pound of unrefined shea butter from Amazon. Hehe

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/06/2014 6:11 pm

My saviour

eusa_pray.gif

Yeah, when it starts snowing, I may look for a more moisturizing one. I think I may grab one with shea butter!

Edit... I just ordered a pound of unrefined shea butter from Amazon. Hehe

HA, I've been looking at the super sized lotions on Amazon as well. I'll have to try CeraVe out. I have noticed that my scalp is a bit dry, especially in the side burn areas. Luckily I work from home and am able to space out my washes as well :)

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 11/06/2014 9:42 pm

HA, I've been looking at the super sized lotions on Amazon as well. I'll have to try CeraVe out. I have noticed that my scalp is a bit dry, especially in the side burn areas. Luckily I work from home and am able to space out my washes as well

The unrefined raw shea butter have such great reviews! I'll let you know how it works out when it arrives. I also got coconut oil for a leave-in hair mask thing. My hair isn't brittle but I am definitely not producing oil so I want to keep the ends nice and healthy. My hair is coloured, although I do have a hair appointment next week. I may tone it darker and cut a few inches off (hair is almost to my belly button :X)

A tip for you if you do get the cerave cream is if you have a dry patch on your face, apply it as usual but also apply a 1-2cm thick film of it over the dry areas. The next day, it should have cured the dryness & makeup goes on smooth (if you wear makeup)

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/07/2014 2:53 pm

HA, I've been looking at the super sized lotions on Amazon as well. I'll have to try CeraVe out. I have noticed that my scalp is a bit dry, especially in the side burn areas. Luckily I work from home and am able to space out my washes as well

The unrefined raw shea butter have such great reviews! I'll let you know how it works out when it arrives. I also got coconut oil for a leave-in hair mask thing. My hair isn't brittle but I am definitely not producing oil so I want to keep the ends nice and healthy. My hair is coloured, although I do have a hair appointment next week. I may tone it darker and cut a few inches off (hair is almost to my belly button )

A tip for you if you do get the cerave cream is if you have a dry patch on your face, apply it as usual but also apply a 1-2cm thick film of it over the dry areas. The next day, it should have cured the dryness & makeup goes on smooth (if you wear makeup)

Oh, great tip! Thank goodness I work from home and only HAVE to put on a full face of makeup once or twice a week. Today is the first day I've washed and dried my hair in about a week and it's full of static from being dry. It doesn't look brittle or dry, but I can tell a difference because it's still not oily after 4 hours! This is amazing to me. I usually can't even touch my hair throughout the day for fear of adding to the greasiness, HA. It was also a relief to park and walk into my client meeting without the fear of looking like I just dipped my face in a pan of oil by the end of it. NO SHINE the whole time. Awesome.

I don't have to get my hair done until the beginning of December, but keep me posted about how that goes! I went back to highlights over the summer and now that you mention it, I'm wondering if my hair will be too dry for them.

MemberMember
(@beautyaddict888)

Posted : 11/10/2014 1:40 pm

Thats awesome! You're like on Day 15 or something like that right? I am on day 10. I definitely have my initial breakout. It started on Saturday. Before saturday, my face was looked clear. Even though it had pimples and bumps, my overall general complexion looked bright and clear (if that makes sense) But now, that is all gone. Ha :( I have about 5 pimples throughout my face and clusters of it on the side of my temple. It is quite annoying. My dry skin is slowly starting to kick in today. More dry lips and I only had to use a little bit of oil absorbing sheets. I am curious whether it is because I took my two 10mg all at once instead of twice a day. But I hope this is the last IB that i am experiencing!! I hope i hope. Are you experiencing any IB or any other side effects in your early stage of treatment? I'm not sure about you guys, but Im getting fevers? Getting hot and cold, dizziness, slight headaches....ugh! I can live with these as long as the bumps and IB goes away!Hope your journey on this is better than mine!

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/10/2014 3:42 pm

Thats awesome! You're like on Day 15 or something like that right? I am on day 10. I definitely have my initial breakout. It started on Saturday. Before saturday, my face was looked clear. Even though it had pimples and bumps, my overall general complexion looked bright and clear (if that makes sense) But now, that is all gone. Ha :( I have about 5 pimples throughout my face and clusters of it on the side of my temple. It is quite annoying. My dry skin is slowly starting to kick in today. More dry lips and I only had to use a little bit of oil absorbing sheets. I am curious whether it is because I took my two 10mg all at once instead of twice a day. But I hope this is the last IB that i am experiencing!! I hope i hope. Are you experiencing any IB or any other side effects in your early stage of treatment? I'm not sure about you guys, but Im getting fevers? Getting hot and cold, dizziness, slight headaches....ugh! I can live with these as long as the bumps and IB goes away!Hope your journey on this is better than mine!

Day 17 Today! I am so happy with the way things are going. I almost feel like it's going too well. I had an initial breakout during week 2. My face was oily, dry, tight, a little red, and I had red bumps, white heads and cysts (mostly in the chin area). By day 14 I noticed that the oiliness wasn't so bad. The pimples were drying up and the cysts were healing well. It's just gotten better from there. I can put makeup on, leave and get to where I'm going without scrambling for an oil blotter sheet (whoa!). The pimples, red marks (scars), and cysts are still present, but the parts of my skin where I don't have blemishes looks amazing! I think the oiliness was a huge factor in why I felt like my skin looked so bad. Pimples can be (mostly) covered with makeup, but it was always so hard to get rid of that greasy look. My friends even said that they have noticed a change in my skin!!

Sounds like you're heading in the same direction, but maybe everything is kicking in a couple days slower since you're on a lower dose. I'm not sure if taking it once vs. twice a day makes a big difference? I'm on 30mg once a day. My Derm plans to up that to 60mg a day (not sure if that'll be once or twice...hopefully once b/c I worry I'll end up missing doses if it's twice).

And it's funny you bring up the fever/sick feeling. During the first week & 1/2 I kind of felt like I was coming down with a cold, but I figured it was just my sinuses acting up. I've always had issues with sinus infections, ect. But I was feeling really tired and like I had a slight fever. I keep forcing myself to go to the gym, eat well and stay active to try and keep my body healthy enough to handle this medication. I hope you start feeling better! It could be coincidence? The weather is so crazy this time of year, maybe you have a slight cold?

Just keep your head up and know that you're finally getting the treatment you need for this problem! You have probably been suffering from acne for a while now, what's a couple more months if it means clear skin in the years to come? That's what I keep reminding myself. Up until starting this medicine I didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Now I know that even if I get another IB when my dose is doubled it'll be worth it 5 months down the road :)

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/10/2014 4:13 pm

Nov 10 - Day 17 - 30mg Absorica

WOW. I love waking up and running to the mirror to see what's new with my skin each morning. Yes, sometimes that means there's an additional pimple or another cyst on my jawline, but now that I have seen how quickly they heal and how much better my skin looks when it's not covered in oil I'm thrilled! I know that the medicine is working and finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Today my most bothersome side effect is my dry scalp. At my hairline you can see little patches of dry skin. When my hair is down they're easily hidden (just have to keep making sure little flakes of skin aren't dangling from a hair every now and then, ha). When my hair is up they're a little more noticeable so I've been putting Eucerin Intensive repair or Aquaphor on that area. I'm going to ask my Dermatologist if there's some other topical that might work better. I used the Neutrogena tar shampoo for psoriasis and other scalp conditions and it seems to work for that day. My hair is also SUPER static-y because it's a lot dryer than it used to be. I have no idea what to use because my hair has been oily my whole life. Suggestions?

My skin is definitely dry, but not painfully so. The moisturizer I got from my Dermatologist seems to do the trick. I don't even need to reapply throughout the day. Once in the morning and once at night is enough. I do continuously use Aquaphor on my lips and have noticed if I don't apply every hour or so my lips are dry. But again, not painfully so.

All in all, things seem to be going very well. I continue to drink about 16oz of water every hour (plus the glass of water I chug when I take the pill), and I sip on green tea throughout the day. Peeing constantly is kind of annoying, but at least I know I'm well hydrated!

*Pics today (no makeup)

My files aren't attaching correctly for some reason! Here's another angle (tried to add three, but it keeps posting the same one over again). Oh well.

post-430885-12812_thumb.jpg

post-430885-12847_thumb.jpg

post-430885-12885_thumb.jpg

post-430885-206363_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@acne30-2)

Posted : 11/10/2014 6:12 pm

Hi ya ambermo, I hope your well:) just came across your post and reguards to your flaky scalp I had this around my 2nd to 3rd week but for me it was just a phase and didn't last long, I hope the same happens to you because it's a pain hey:)

You've had amazing results so far, mines soooooo slowwww. Keep posting :)

MemberMember
(@beautyaddict888)

Posted : 11/10/2014 7:32 pm

WOW. I love waking up and running to the mirror to see what's new with my skin each morning. Yes, sometimes that means there's an additional pimple or another cyst on my jawline, but now that I have seen how quickly they heal and how much better my skin looks when it's not covered in oil I'm thrilled! I know that the medicine is working and finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Today my most bothersome side effect is my dry scalp. At my hairline you can see little patches of dry skin. When my hair is down they're easily hidden (just have to keep making sure little flakes of skin aren't dangling from a hair every now and then, ha). When my hair is up they're a little more noticeable so I've been putting Eucerin Intensive repair or Aquaphor on that area. I'm going to ask my Dermatologist if there's some other topical that might work better. I used the Neutrogena tar shampoo for psoriasis and other scalp conditions and it seems to work for that day. My hair is also SUPER static-y because it's a lot dryer than it used to be. I have no idea what to use because my hair has been oily my whole life. Suggestions?

My skin is definitely dry, but not painfully so. The moisturizer I got from my Dermatologist seems to do the trick. I don't even need to reapply throughout the day. Once in the morning and once at night is enough. I do continuously use Aquaphor on my lips and have noticed if I don't apply every hour or so my lips are dry. But again, not painfully so.

All in all, things seem to be going very well. I continue to drink about 16oz of water every hour (plus the glass of water I chug when I take the pill), and I sip on green tea throughout the day. Peeing constantly is kind of annoying, but at least I know I'm well hydrated!

*Pics today (no makeup)

My files aren't attaching correctly for some reason! Here's another angle (tried to add three, but it keeps posting the same one over again). Oh well.

Amber,

Your skin is looking amazing ! Quite an improvement. I agree, we chose this path and what's a couple more Months right?! And off to clear skin! I hope that I reach the level of clearness at day 17. That is another 7 days for me so well see!

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/10/2014 7:46 pm

Hi ya ambermo, I hope your well:) just came across your post and reguards to your flaky scalp I had this around my 2nd to 3rd week but for me it was just a phase and didn't last long, I hope the same happens to you because it's a pain hey:)

You've had amazing results so far, mines soooooo slowwww. Keep posting :)

Thank you! Are you taking Absorica as well? What dosage and how long have you been on it? I hope the flaky scalp is a phase. It's interesting to watch the changes unfold. Feels like a science experiment in a way, haha.

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/10/2014 8:09 pm

*Pics today (no makeup)

Amber,

Your skin is looking amazing ! Quite an improvement. I agree, we chose this path and what's a couple more Months right?! And off to clear skin! I hope that I reach the level of clearness at day 17. That is another 7 days for me so well see!

MemberMember
(@acne30-2)

Posted : 11/11/2014 8:15 am

Zingoasisguy for some people eating badly is a reason for their acne but unless you eat pure grease and sugar I really doubt dietry is a reason, I was brought up with two sisters who ate exactly the same foods all the time and only I have suffered from acne since I was 12.

Ambermo I'm on day 50 now and I take 50mg of accutane and still get new active spots but I'm getting there. Lots of people may give there advice but one advice given to me is a simple one, just drink lots! Hydrate your skin,I really don't advise you to put any dandruff products on your scalp, it's just a side effect that I think will honestly pass, its all the hair oil drying out, since the flakiness went my hair never gets greasy give it another couple of weeks before you do anything

ambermo liked
MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/11/2014 4:17 pm

Zingoasisguy for some people eating badly is a reason for their acne but unless you eat pure grease and sugar I really doubt dietry is a reason, I was brought up with two sisters who ate exactly the same foods all the time and only I have suffered from acne since I was 12.

Ambermo I'm on day 50 now and I take 50mg of accutane and still get new active spots but I'm getting there. Lots of people may give there advice but one advice given to me is a simple one, just drink lots! Hydrate your skin,I really don't advise you to put any dandruff products on your scalp, it's just a side effect that I think will honestly pass, its all the hair oil drying out, since the flakiness went my hair never gets greasy give it another couple of weeks before you do anything

Acne*30, I think you're right. My scalp is probably just getting used to less oil. I was able to wet my hair this morning, dry it and style it without washing and it looks great! 3 weeks ago that would have been impossible because of all the oil. It's the little things :)

And I could not agree more about staying hydrated. It's always been important, but I'm making an extra effort and maybe that's why my skin and lips aren't terribly dry. They're definitely dry, but not unbearable. Although, I forgot my chapstick this morning and was without it for about 3 hours. Not fun! My lips were tight and chapped. Was so happy to get back to my tub of Aquaphor! Haha.

I would have to kindly disagree if it didn't work than the proper approach wasn't taken thousands of years ago humans consumed 20 teaspoons of sugar a year now an average school kid consumes 30 teaspoons a day.... So if diet changes didn't work they were done the wrong way just my opinion also parasite overgrowth as well as candida cannot always be fixed with diet changes so supplemental regimens are needed and due to the fact 95% of Americans have a compromised gut is further proof to complications and health alignments relating to acne

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, Zingoasisguy.

MemberMember
(@beautyaddict888)

Posted : 11/13/2014 2:09 pm

Amber,

I have been getting similiar breakouts around my chin area as well. Did you apply anything in order for them to go away faster? They are NOT poppable as i tried to do this and theyve gotten twice as big with a vengeance. How long do they stay around for? Does it go away on its own with Accutane??

It is so frustrating an they hurt! :( 🙁

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/14/2014 1:56 pm

Amber,

I have been getting similiar breakouts around my chin area as well. Did you apply anything in order for them to go away faster? They are NOT poppable as i tried to do this and theyve gotten twice as big with a vengeance. How long do they stay around for? Does it go away on its own with Accutane??

It is so frustrating an they hurt!

I know it's hard, but try not to pop, squeeze, peel, poke, or do anything to your skin. I've found that the white heads I leave alone clear up fairly quickly, within a day sometimes! The large, painful cysts take a little longer, but if you just let the medicine do its work and don't irritate them further they'll be gone before you know it. It's definitely easier said than done, and I have irritated a few, but I keep reminding myself that I don't want to add to the scarring that I already have and I don't want anything to take longer to heal because I was impatient. I haven't been putting anything on my skin other than the moisturizer and sunscreen I got at my Dermatologist's office. You're on a slightly lower dose than me (and about a week behind I think?), so you're probably going through the worst of it now. My Dermatologist said that the first month was going to be the worst. I've never tried an "aspirin face mask" before, but I wonder if that might help the pain and inflammation? I don't think it's a problem to mix aspirin with Accutane as I take a large aspirin daily because I had a blood clot years ago. But since I'm no medical expert you might want to give your Derm a ring just to check. I hope you find some relief! Just remember, a few days or even a week of this is going to lead to many many weeks, months and years of clear skin! We're on our way :)

MemberMember
(@ambermo)

Posted : 11/14/2014 2:22 pm

Recap:

Week One - Face felt really tight, red, dry, oily and uncomfortable

Week Two - Breakouts especially in the chin area, face felt less tight, wasn't as red, and began to dry up

Day 21 (THREE WEEKS!)

- Whiteheads still present, but seem to clear up quickly

- Larger red cysts still present

- Still no change in the blackheads

- When I wake up in the morning my skin is peeling where the breakouts are (which I think means they're drying up and healing?)

- Face is no longer tight or uncomfortable and is WAY less oily, woo hoo!

- Hair is less greasy. Scalp is dry and peeling in a few areas on my hairline. Annoying, but not unbearable. Using Neutrogena T/Gel Extra Strength before my regular shampoo when I wash my hair and it seems to help.

- Lips are dry, but not terribly so. Using Aquaphor throughout the day.

- Forehead feels a little rough, like it's dry, but doesn't look any dryer than the rest of my skin and isn't breaking out. Weird.

Pictures!

post-430885-0-32305500-1415992225.jpg

post-430885-0-54311200-1415992233.jpg

post-430885-0-36020700-1415992240.jpg

MemberMember
(@beautyaddict888)

Posted : 11/14/2014 2:47 pm

Recap:

Week One - Face felt really tight, red, dry, oily and uncomfortable

Week Two - Breakouts especially in the chin area, face felt less tight, wasn't as red, and began to dry up

Day 21 (THREE WEEKS!)

- Whiteheads still present, but seem to clear up quickly

- Larger red cysts still present

- Still no change in the blackheads

- When I wake up in the morning my skin is peeling where the breakouts are (which I think means they're drying up and healing?)

- Face is no longer tight or uncomfortable and is WAY less oily, woo hoo!

- Hair is less greasy. Scalp is dry and peeling in a few areas on my hairline. Annoying, but not unbearable. Using Neutrogena T/Gel Extra Strength before my regular shampoo when I wash my hair and it seems to help.

- Lips are dry, but not terribly so. Using Aquaphor throughout the day.

- Forehead feels a little rough, like it's dry, but doesn't look any dryer than the rest of my skin and isn't breaking out. Weird.

Pictures!

I can definitely see that youre clearing up! :D My breakouts are slowwwly drying up. I didn't know if this initial breakout was normal. It isn't any worse than my normal breakouts so I'm not complaining. Just feels gross when I have to wash my face and it is bumpy. Yuck! >:(

Also my oil production on my face has significantly decreased. I am basically producing no oil and I am only on Day 14!

I also dealt with some dry scalp as well. It was SO dry that it got really itchy, flaky. (gross) So. I did something that i usually would never do.

My scalp got to a point where it was so uncomfortable that i googled home remedies for dry scalp. I tried the first remedy i saw which consisted of olive oil, banana, and honey. You literally put this mushy mixture into your scalp and rub it, almost massaging it for like 5~10min. And wash it out followed by your routin shampooo and conditioner. And guess what! It helped. My scalp isnt as dry or flaky. I actually went out and bought hair/scalp shea butter masque to help with the dryness. I learned that if the scalp is too dry, hair starts to fall out more easily vs moisterized scalp.

I hope this helps!