Notifications
Clear all

Side Effects From Oils/oil Supplements?

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 11/04/2014 12:15 pm

Hello,

I am a 26 year old male with extremely oily skin, scalp, but dry body and lips.

I've tried quality fish oil (capsule) and cod liver oil (liquid form) in the past, but my body always responds negatively.

Side effects include Breakouts, rashes, and more sebum production.

I realize that there are many people like me on this forum and wanted to get some advice on where I should start.

Recently, I read that black currant oil, evening primrose oil, and borage oil are good source of GLA's (healthier omega 6).

GLA's apparently reduce inflammation, but that is what people say all the time with fish oil (EPA/DHA).

I am scared to try out oil supplements, especially knowing that it's omega 6, after having negative results from healthier omega 3 oil.

I've taken vitamin B-complex in the past and B6 is the culprit of rashes and hair loss I am facing.

Also, I am taking 10,000 mcg (10 mg) of biotin daily, which is B7. Initially, I broke out a lot, but it has subsided recently.

For some reason, my body just responds negatively to B vitamins in general.

I sweat excessively and I am very sensitive to cold as well, if it helps with diagnosis.

I've read many posts saying that vitamin D3 is effective for sebum control.

Is there any other supplement/food/protocol that can reduce sebum production?

I know that carnosine, vitamin B5 and vitamin A at high dosage can mitigate sebum overproduction, but with severe side effects.

If you have tips on sebum regulation without side effects, please share. I would appreciate your response.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 11/04/2014 1:38 pm

You might consider jojoba oil or hemp seed oil. Jojoba oil is actually not an oil but a wax ester and closely matches human sebum. Hemp seed oil can be especially beneficial to people with oily skin. I'm actually going to try the hemp seed oil and see if this helps my combination oily/dry skin.

Here's more info on treating excess sebum production:

http://highonclearskin.com/how-to-get-clear/dont-clog-your-pores/

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 11/18/2014 2:51 pm

What does your diet look like? I find that usually Omega 3's from Fish Oil only help when you reduce your dietary intake of Omega 6's. Foods high in Omega 6's (or Linoleic Acid) are baked goods, mayonaisse, margarine, salad dressing, nuts, fast food, fried food, microwavable/prepared food, vegetable oil, canola oil, safflower, sunflower oil. Omega 6's are pro-inflammatory (a necessary mechanism in the body) but too much causes chronic inflammation. Omega 3's are anti-inflammatory. However, since both 3's and 6's are types of PUFA's (polyunsaturated fatty acids), the ratio and amount matters, so taking more Omega 3's will worsen a situation if you consume too much of either of these fats anyways.

Also

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/08/20/fish-oil-part-fifteen.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1833105

http://kristinselbygonzalez.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-vitamin-e-and-omega-3-connection.html

http://www.epic4health.com/altosualrega.html

if you read those, it explains that Fish Oil alone can be unhealthy unless taken with Vitamin E and prefferably with an array of fat soluble vitamins & antioxidants. Vitamin E prevents fat oxidation and Omega 3's are very fragile to oxidation. Taking Fish oil alone may deplete your Vitamin E levels. Also it is important to get all 8 Vitamin E forms since Vitamin E refers to not just one molecule. This includes the 4 tocopherols and the 4 tocotrienols. Look for a full spectrum Vitamin E. There is some evidence that taking alpha-tocopherol alone (the most common form of Vitamin E in supplements) can lower your other levels of Vitamin E, beta-, gamma-, and delta- tocopherols and alpha-, beta-, gamma-, delta- tocotrienols in your body.

On a side note: Nicotinic Acid, the form of Vitamin B3 or Niacin that causes the healthy skin flushing, can help acne! Try to get this kind and not Niacinamide since that does not cause the flushing, though it may still have some benefit. Vitamin B6 and B12 also worsened my acne. Though I have yet to try P5P (Pyridoxal Phosphate) the active form of B6 which may not cause acne compared to Pyridoxine B6 the popular form (which is not found in nature).

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 11/19/2014 10:34 pm

What does your diet look like? I find that usually Omega 3's from Fish Oil only help when you reduce your dietary intake of Omega 6's. Foods high in Omega 6's (or Linoleic Acid) are baked goods, mayonaisse, margarine, salad dressing, nuts, fast food, fried food, microwavable/prepared food, vegetable oil, canola oil, safflower, sunflower oil. Omega 6's are pro-inflammatory (a necessary mechanism in the body) but too much causes chronic inflammation. Omega 3's are anti-inflammatory. However, since both 3's and 6's are types of PUFA's (polyunsaturated fatty acids), the ratio and amount matters, so taking more Omega 3's will worsen a situation if you consume too much of either of these fats anyways.

Also

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/08/20/fish-oil-part-fifteen.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1833105

http://kristinselbygonzalez.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-vitamin-e-and-omega-3-connection.html

http://www.epic4health.com/altosualrega.html

if you read those, it explains that Fish Oil alone can be unhealthy unless taken with Vitamin E and prefferably with an array of fat soluble vitamins & antioxidants. Vitamin E prevents fat oxidation and Omega 3's are very fragile to oxidation. Taking Fish oil alone may deplete your Vitamin E levels. Also it is important to get all 8 Vitamin E forms since Vitamin E refers to not just one molecule. This includes the 4 tocopherols and the 4 tocotrienols. Look for a full spectrum Vitamin E. There is some evidence that taking alpha-tocopherol alone (the most common form of Vitamin E in supplements) can lower your other levels of Vitamin E, beta-, gamma-, and delta- tocopherols and alpha-, beta-, gamma-, delta- tocotrienols in your body.

On a side note: Nicotinic Acid, the form of Vitamin B3 or Niacin that causes the healthy skin flushing, can help acne! Try to get this kind and not Niacinamide since that does not cause the flushing, though it may still have some benefit. Vitamin B6 and B12 also worsened my acne. Though I have yet to try P5P (Pyridoxal Phosphate) the active form of B6 which may not cause acne compared to Pyridoxine B6 the popular form (which is not found in nature).

Thanks for the response. I eat a lot of veggies and some fish, but also eat decent amount of meat, bread, and grains. I almost never eat fried food, milk, butter/margarine. I travel on weekdays for business, and it's really hard to eat healthy on the road. When I am back at home, I eat at least 2-3 meals with fish, lots of veggies, organic sauerkraut, and grass fed beef. I was eating at least one egg per day, but I've cut down on eggs. Same goes for nuts (all kinds). I would say my diet is on healthier side, but I do eat large portions at once, which spikes the glucose level every single time.

I've never tried niacin, but I tried niacinamide in the past. I am not even sure what that did for my skin. I felt no change in my body and got rid of the supplement eventually. B6 at high dose (> 10 mg) always affects my body negatively. It causes more hair loss, minor headache, weakness, and fatigue for some reason. p5p was the worst supplement I've tried, and I am NEVER going back to that again. I don't know why there's so much hype about B6 because too much of it can be detrimental for people with sensitivity. B12 at high dose is okay, but I never saw any benefit from it.

I've also taken 1000 iu of vit E in the past, but saw on many websites that taking too much vit E is harmful for long-term. Currently, I am taking probiotics, a lot of biotin (15 mg), silica, vit D (trying to increase up to 10000 iu), and planning to take vit K2 to prevent calcium clogging. I definitely have issue with my gut currently, which makes healthy supplements (such as omega 3) into rubbish. If there are more suggestions, I would sincerely appreciate it.

You might consider jojoba oil or hemp seed oil. Jojoba oil is actually not an oil but a wax ester and closely matches human sebum. Hemp seed oil can be especially beneficial to people with oily skin. I'm actually going to try the hemp seed oil and see if this helps my combination oily/dry skin.

Here's more info on treating excess sebum production:

http://highonclearskin.com/how-to-get-clear/dont-clog-your-pores/

I've tried jojoba, argan, rosehip, geranium oils so far and one I like the most is either jojoba or rosehip. However, oils definitely make my face more greasy, so I've stopped using them for a while.

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 11/20/2014 11:56 am

Ok there are a few routes your can take, together or seperatley.

You can try cutting out all high glycemic food sources so the bread & grain, which can be replaced with nutrient dense carb sources like sweet potatoes, butternutsquash, black beans, carrots, beetroot etc. Although your diet seems close to spectacular . Are you consuming "vegetable" oil at all? (sunflower, safflower, soybean, canola, palm). You may not be aware of how much you are ingesting on business trips.

Are you exercising aerobically or just anaerobically? Aerobic exercise is the pump for you lymphatic system, which is like a cousin system to your blood vessels that clears toxins, dead cells, and other stuff from your body. It actually cannot be pumped on its own, your body has evolved to rely on the movements of your body in exercise to pump it. On the other hand, ANaerobic exercise is known to raise testosterone which may aggravate acne for some individuals.

Try re-reading about dairy/milk, I think it gets a bad rap, take grass-fed butter which can be beneficial since it is high in Vitamin A & D like cod liver oil. The type of feed that our meat and animal products are consuming is just as important as the product itself. Eggs from grain and soy fed chickens compared to bug + grass eating chickens were found to have higher levels of Omega 6's & Arachidonic Acid (an inflammatory fat) and also lower levels of other nutrients. The "omega 3 eggs" in the grocery store come from chickens usually fed flax because flax is so cheap and this changes the fat composition of both the egg and the chicken meat to include more omega 3's. In my opinion, flax is not the best option since it is so high in phytoestrogens (flax always breaks me out severly). Coincidentally, grocery store eggs break me out if I eat too many more than once, but eggs from a local farm had no effect on my acne.

Try Niacin again but the flush kind which is Nicotinic Acid, it may make a difference. I have seen some people post about how Niacinamide is basically bunk and totally ineffective.

Try Vit. E again but buy a supplement with all 8 isomers! This is important. Most Vit. E on the shelfs is one form: d-alpha-tocopherol which is sourced from soybean oil usually. Soy is a cash crop and most soy products are used because they are cost effective not because they are best for your health. Like I said before, studies have shown that taking this form of Vit. E alone lowers your levels of the other 7 kinds meaning it could be detrimental! Organic Red Palm Oil is a rare and high source of Tocotrienols. Jarrow has a good supplement called "Toco Sorb". Life extension has one with all 8 forms.

Try boosting your internal Glutathione levels. Plant antioxidants are beneficial and great, however they serve the initial purpose of preventing oxidation for the plant, not for your benefit necessarily. Humans have their own self-made antioxidant which can't be ingested. Glutathione supplements don't work since your stomach acid destroys the compound rendering it into 3 amino acids. Glutathione is a tri-peptide consisting of those amino acids; Glutamine, Glycine, and Cysteine. Glutamine and Glycine are plentifully in a sufficient protein diet, however Cysteine is harder to come by. Cysteine is the rate limiting step in Glutathione synthesis. Free form L-Cysteine supplements boosts Glutathione production, as well as Milk Thistle, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vitamin C, and other glutathione precursors. I have had personal success with my acne taking L-Cysteine (on an empty stomach) along with a Sustained Release ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid), however it was a bit pricey so I switched to another regimen.

I'm not sure how this person cleared their acne with a glutathione supplement. I would still suggest taking Glutathione precursors instead of this:

This here is evidence showing that Milk Thistle & Vitamin C raise glutathione levels:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17133738

"Thiobarbituric acid reactive substance (TBARS) level, superoxide dismutase (SOD), and glutathione-s-transferase (GST) activities were significantly increased, whereas GSH content, and catalase, glutathione reductase (GR) and GPx (glutathione peroxidase) activities significantly reduced, on ethanol exposure. These changes were reversed by silybin and ascorbic acid treatment."

Successes with milk thistle:

L-Glutamine is a natural amino acid supplement found in all protein sources. If taken on an empty stomach, glutamine can heal gut issues, apparently repairing the inside of our intestinal walls. I'm not going to say leaky gut since I still don't know if that is a real condition, I think it could be a host of similar symptoms with different causes. This may also boost glutathione levels after your body has been supplied with L-Cysteine.

Here are some people talking about their success in amazon customer reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-L-Glutamine-Pure-Powder-1-Pound/product-reviews/B0013OXEKK

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1015647

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1096406

Vitamin B supplementing can be dangerous and I caution most people to avoid it. Look into MTHFR gene (recently discovered as part of the Human Genome Project) in which 60% of the population has a defect causing an inability to metabolize certain B-vitamins leading to long-term health problems. I've had some bad side effects from P5P (or B6), methylcobalamin (the active form of B12), and methylfolate (active B9) however that's my own experience, yours may differ greatly!

Soluble fiber from Konjac Root (Glucomannan), Hemp powder, etc can lower the glycemic impact of a meal. When I first started to treat my acne hollistically, a mixed soluble & insoluble fiber supplement helped a noticable amount with my complexion. But this stopped working once I eliminated soy from my diet for some reason, maybe the fiber was preventing all of the soy to be absorbed by my body.

It sucks how many different ways you can go wrong when purchasing supplements, which is part of the reason why no one thinks they are effective! Let me know if you have any questions

MemberMember
(@aurevoir771)

Posted : 11/30/2014 6:47 pm

Thanks for a long response. I really appreciate your feedback.

I work out both ways, but I tend to spend more time on aerobic exercises. I've shed about 15 pounds in the past 4 months from distance running and cardio and I feel more satisfied with how I look compared to before. Now, I am at 170 pounds and 6'1" tall.

I used to consume a lot of olive oil, but I've switched to coconut oil about 2 months ago. I am on the road on the weekdays for work, so it's a lot harder to watch out what I eat on those days. On weekends, I cook everything with coconut oil and eat at least a pound of leafy veggies combined with lean grassfed ground beef. I consume brown rice as well, but not as much as I used to, maybe 2/3 bowl at max per meal.

The reason why I want to avoid dairy is because I currently have leaky gut from antibiotics use after two surgeries, one last June and one this past March. I am 100% that I have leaky gut because I have excessive eczema, pityriasis rosea, and severe hair loss due to inflammation. I am taking probiotics and eating fermented foods (kimchi/sauerkraut), and have seen a little improvement.

I got a blood test last week to check my vitamin/ferritin levels. I am still waiting on vit A, vit E, and beta carotene results. For vit D, my current level is 22.8 ng/mL. This falls below the reference range which is 30 - 100 ng/mL. Ferritin and vit B12 levels are pretty high, but within the reference range. The results were 291 ng/mL (reference range 30-400) and 706 pg/mL (reference range 211-946) respectively. I am so thankful I got a blood test, otherwise I would have been never sure that I had vitamin D deficiency. Once I get the results back on vit A and vit E, I will decide on if I am going to take supplements or not.

I will keep you posted when I get the results back. Thanks a lot for your advice.