Notifications
Clear all

Raw Honey Facial Mask

MemberMember
(@shimmywonwon)

Posted : 10/27/2014 1:08 am

Has anyone ever heard of a raw honey facial mask causing a breakout? I'm not 100% certain in my case, but this is the 2nd time I have tried it and I have gotten a breakout 12-16 hours later. The first time I tried it, I also used a new moisturizer in conjunction, which turned out to be a bad decision. I had a really, really bad breakout from that.

I reasoned that the breakout wasn't from the raw honey, but rather from the moisturizer. Everything that I've read about raw honey has been positive (moisturizing, soothing on skin, antimicrobial, antiseptic, etc...). I've only seen reviews saying that it worked great or didn't change anything. I haven't seen any reviews saying that it made it worse.

I tried the raw honey mask again about a month later and I appear to have broken out again, though not nearly as bad as the first time. I think the honey is causing me to breakout. I'm just curious --- has anyone heard of this before?

MemberMember
(@rayah)

Posted : 10/30/2014 4:59 pm

I haven't heard of it causing breakouts, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't. I've been using raw honey almost everyday for the last 2 months (maybe a little longer )and it hasn't caused me to break out or anything. But as we know, everyone's skin reacts differently to things. What kind moisturizer are you using? Have you been using that same kind before you tried the honey mask?

MemberMember
(@shimmywonwon)

Posted : 11/04/2014 9:30 am

I'm currently using a moisturizer from a brand called Simple. I've been using it for several months (minus when I tried something new) and it has been fine. The honey was the only thing that changed. I think I'll try the honey mask one more time just to make sure it wasn't a coincidence.

MemberMember
(@rayah)

Posted : 11/06/2014 4:35 pm

That's funny. I used to use the same brand. I felt like it was working pretty good for my skin at first, but later changed my mind about it. Yeah, I'd say give the mask one more shot just to be sure.

These days I only use raw honey as a facial wash (occasionally leaving on for 5-10 minutes ) and then wash it off. I think honey is pretty moisturizing for the skin itself, so sometimes I don't use anything afterwards, but if I feel like I need to I use a light lotion or a few drops of some pure oil.

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/13/2014 9:54 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a raw honey facial mask causing a breakout? I'm not 100% certain in my case, but this is the 2nd time I have tried it and I have gotten a breakout 12-16 hours later. The first time I tried it, I also used a new moisturizer in conjunction, which turned out to be a bad decision. I had a really, really bad breakout from that.

I reasoned that the breakout wasn't from the raw honey, but rather from the moisturizer. Everything that I've read about raw honey has been positive (moisturizing, soothing on skin, antimicrobial, antiseptic, etc...). I've only seen reviews saying that it worked great or didn't change anything. I haven't seen any reviews saying that it made it worse.

I tried the raw honey mask again about a month later and I appear to have broken out again, though not nearly as bad as the first time. I think the honey is causing me to breakout. I'm just curious --- has anyone heard of this before?

Hello shimmywonwon, I am also using raw honey for my acne but its actually a honey from New Zealand known as Manuka honey. Various studies found that Manuka honey is a special type of honey having high level of antibacterial properties. It's actually different from the usual honey sold in the market. I have not experienced any breakouts from using it. By the way, what type of honey are you using?

MemberMember
(@inalitterbox)

Posted : 11/14/2014 12:07 am

its absolutely useless actually and idgaf tht its somekinda sweet childhood or bear memories for u, ill tell u everything nyways..HONEY IS USELESS.

MemberMember
(@shimmywonwon)

Posted : 11/16/2014 5:57 pm

Hello shimmywonwon, I am also using raw honey for my acne but its actually a honey from New Zealand known as Manuka honey. Various studies found that Manuka honey is a special type of honey having high level of antibacterial properties. It's actually different from the usual honey sold in the market. I have not experienced any breakouts from using it. By the way, what type of honey are you using?

The honey that I'm using is from Costco (Kirkland brand). It just says "Organic Honey" on the label. I've heard about Manuka honey, but I'm hesitant to try it because a) normal honey seems to give me issues, and b) it seems to be fairly pricey, so it will be big waste of money if I don't react well to it. Maybe I'll give it a shot though.

Where do you buy your Manuka honey MandyStrope? And which brand do you buy?

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/16/2014 10:20 pm

The honey that I'm using is from Costco (Kirkland brand). It just says "Organic Honey" on the label. I've heard about Manuka honey, but I'm hesitant to try it because a) normal honey seems to give me issues, and b) it seems to be fairly pricey, so it will be big waste of money if I don't react well to it. Maybe I'll give it a shot though.

Where do you buy your Manuka honey MandyStrope? And which brand do you buy?

Hi! I ordered it online from a licensed distributor in New Zealand. Manuka natural is the brand of their product.