Notifications
Clear all

Dermarolling Questions.

MemberMember
(@justaboy)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:05 pm

So I'm getting a dermaroller 0.5 and I wanna know how many times I should roll, and is 0.5 a good starter? I heard 0.25 is good, and 1.0, so just help a novice out. :) thanks, love you all.

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:39 pm

Your supposed to roll every 4-6 weeks to allow collagen to build. Any sooner and you will be destroying any collagen that may be growing. 0.25 and 0.50 is too little if you are planning to use for scars (not hyperpigmentation). 1.0 would be ideal for scarring, any less and you will not get deep enough to injure the dermis.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@justaboy)

Posted : 10/27/2014 4:37 am

Also, I'm sixteen and I have Asian skin, and is it safe still to start off with 1.0? Given my new info? Also, if its every four to six weeks, wouldn't the needles rust, and bend due to the chemicals you leave it in before and after use? Thanks for your input though. :)

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/27/2014 7:04 pm

Dermaroller is safe for asian skin. I have indian skin, which is prone to hyperpigmentation like asian skin, and I had no complications. Obviously you should test it out first on a patch of skin rather then just doing your whole face. Just start with a 0.50 to start with and work your way up to a 1.0 when you feel comfortable.

As for the rusting of the dermaroller you should be fine as long as you take care to sanitize your roller by running it under hot water and then sanitizing with 90% alcohol. When you feel the the needles to start to dull out just order a new one.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/28/2014 3:13 pm

Dermaroller is safe for asian skin. I have indian skin, which is prone to hyperpigmentation like asian skin, and I had no complications. Obviously you should test it out first on a patch of skin rather then just doing your whole face. Just start with a 0.50 to start with and work your way up to a 1.0 when you feel comfortable.

As for the rusting of the dermaroller you should be fine as long as you take care to sanitize your roller by running it under hot water and then sanitizing with 90% alcohol. When you feel the the needles to start to dull out just order a new one.

Good luck!

Good grief.

OP, disregard all that shit.

It's fine for you to start at 1.5mm. 1mm will not reach deep enough in the dermis (esp in men) Don't go above that on your face unless you're spot treating. (in which case, you'll need a dermastamp instead)

Disinfect in Chloramine-T. Washing in hot water like the above poster suggests warps the plastic of the roller, 90% rubbing alcohol is retarded too. It is a solvent, if you do that you're gonna wind up dissolving the glue of the roller and potentially getting needles stuck in your skin at worst.

You're safe to roll again within 4 weeks. The chances of you needling the *exact same channels you did last time* (and thus damaging new collagen) are *very* slim.

at the risk of shilling, http://s.owndoc.com/ gives sound advice, all in one place. Use their Dermarolling instructions PDF as the bible and disregard all else. The advice in there is 100% sound and backed by peer reviewed evidence.

MemberMember
(@julian1)

Posted : 10/28/2014 6:35 pm

Well, it depends where your scars are to be honest. If they are in the forehead, 0.5 is just fine. If they are on your cheek (not on bony parts) then you could try a 1.0 a first and then 1.5

MemberMember
(@justaboy)

Posted : 10/28/2014 7:40 pm

Mod

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/28/2014 11:11 pm

Good luck!

Good grief.

It's fine for you to start at 1.5mm. 1mm will not reach deep enough in the dermis (esp in men) Don't go above that on your face unless you're spot treating. (in which case, you'll need a dermastamp instead)

Disinfect in Chloramine-T. Washing in hot water like the above poster suggests warps the plastic of the roller, 90% rubbing alcohol is retarded too. It is a solvent, if you do that you're gonna wind up dissolving the glue of the roller and potentially getting needles stuck in your skin at worst.

You're safe to roll again within 4 weeks. The chances of you needling the *exact same channels you did last time* (and thus damaging new collagen) are *very* slim.

at the risk of shilling, http://s.owndoc.com/ gives sound advice, all in one place. Use their Dermarolling instructions PDF as the bible and disregard all else. The advice in there is 100% sound and backed by peer reviewed evidence.

Thats funny I've been dermarolling for the past year and a half and have always used isopropyl alcohol 90% + to sanitize and have not once have had any issues in regards to my dermaroller breaking down or falling apart. I've also never had any infections occur and nor have I ever wound up with needles stuck in my face lol! Like Julian stated as well not all areas of your face would be suitable to a 1.5mm for example bony areas of the face like the forehead. Heck even my dermatologist adjusts the needle depth according to which areas he is treating. Also, I suggested 0.5mm because the OP seemed a bit apprehensive with jumping in with a 1.0mm atleast he could get a bit comfortable before he dug in with the deeper needles.

Btw no need to be so crass! Everyone is just trying to help out.

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/30/2014 2:55 pm

Good luck!

Good grief.

Thats funny I've been dermarolling for the past year and a half and have always used isopropyl alcohol 90% + to sanitize and have not once have had any issues in regards to my dermaroller breaking down or falling apart. I've also never had any infections occur and nor have I ever wound up with needles stuck in my face lol! Like Julian stated as well not all areas of your face would be suitable to a 1.5mm for example bony areas of the face like the forehead. Heck even my dermatologist adjusts the needle depth according to which areas he is treating. Also, I suggested 0.5mm because the OP seemed a bit apprehensive with jumping in with a 1.0mm atleast he could get a bit comfortable before he dug in with the deeper needles.

Btw no need to be so crass! Everyone is just trying to help out.

Just cause it hasn't happened yet, doesnt mean it won't. You're dicing with the risk of infection and potentially damaging your skin to save a few bucks, thats fine, its your face, but don't recommend that to others.

MemberMember
(@mgg123)

Posted : 07/15/2021 9:03 pm

im wondering about rust....you guys sure its okay to use if its rusted?

I opened up a brand new roller and washed it and sprayed with alchohol then placed it in the case for future use and it totally rusted. i can see the microneedles having a rusty color..now im concerned if its really okay getting into the dermis like this.