Notifications
Clear all

Scars Looking Worse W/ Retin A At 12 Weeks...time To Stop?

MemberMember
(@morningrise)

Posted : 10/25/2014 4:56 pm

I wasn't sure whether to post this under prescription treatments or the scar section, but my main concern is scarring so here goes.

My acne was somewhat mild but very persistent. Usually 2-3 zits at all times, more during totm. Was clear through my teens and began breaking out in my early 20s and it never stopped. I'm 27. I've been using retin a for 12 weeks now. Started out with .025 cream for the first 8 weeks and then went up to the .05 cream. Used topical clindamycin wipes during this time. I had a pretty terrible initial break out starting at week 2 and my skin still has not cleared. The worst of the IB seems to be over, but my skin has pretty much returned to where is was before I started retin a. Pimples clear a little faster but aside from that, there has been no improvement and now my face is littered with dark red marks from the IB plus some new shallow scarring. I had one day with no active zits two days ago and then promptly started breaking out again.

My main concern is that my indented scars on my cheeks, which were quite shallow initially, look deeper after using retin a. Before they were only visible from certain angles and when my skin was shiny and now they are plainly visible viewed straight on in any lighting condition. I'm not going to say retin a caused the scars, but it has certainly made them more visible. I'm wondering if I should stop using it now, or push through to see if things get better? After endless board searching and googling I'm now paranoid by the rare cases where people say retin a caused pitted scarring, but part of me also wonders if things will look better if I keep using it for a year. I would say these are boxcar and rolling scars. Again, not super deep but appear deeper than before.

Not sure if this is relevant, but aside from the initial breakout and the scars looking deeper, I haven't experienced any of the standard adverse effects of retin a. I've had almost no peeling and no redness, despite my skin being somewhat sensitive. I started slow and am very careful with application (small amount, always wait 20-30 minutes after cleansing before applying, always use a good sunscreen, etc.).

Has anyone been here and kept using it and seen improvement? Appreciate any advice...or just commiseration.

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/26/2014 3:50 am

Retin A is the cause of my scars. I never scarred before, after using Retin A for about a half a year I got scars that I cannot rid of :( I would be soo happy, if someone would have said this information to me. I would have stopped right away...

MemberMember
(@morningrise)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:16 am

Retin A is the cause of my scars. I never scarred before, after using Retin A for about a half a year I got scars that I cannot rid of I would be soo happy, if someone would have said this information to me. I would have stopped right away...

I'm sorry to hear that, Liberte :( . Do you know if these scars were from acne that formed while you were using retin a? Or old scars that started becoming more visible? Thanks for your reply.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:34 am

if you dont see results in 3-4 months then its time to stop yes

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:40 am

Retin a did cause a few boxscars on places where I would never scar before. I'd stop if i were you

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:56 am

Retin a did cause a few boxscars on places where I would never scar before. I'd stop if i were you

You were already scarred there and they would have become apparent eventually, Ret just sped it up because it sped up the cell turnover.

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/26/2014 12:38 pm

Retin A is the cause of my scars. I never scarred before, after using Retin A for about a half a year I got scars that I cannot rid of I would be soo happy, if someone would have said this information to me. I would have stopped right away...

I'm sorry to hear that, Liberte . Do you know if these scars were from acne that formed while you were using retin a? Or old scars that started becoming more visible? Thanks for your reply.

I had NO scars prior using Retin A. But maybe they were there, but just not visible to me and they appeared after the use of tretinoin... Anyway, my skin is still messed up from this medication, so it does no good to you. My advice: stop it, before you make the damage worse...

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/26/2014 1:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Liberte . Do you know if these scars were from acne that formed while you were using retin a? Or old scars that started becoming more visible? Thanks for your reply.

I had NO scars prior using Retin A. But maybe they were there, but just not visible to me and they appeared after the use of tretinoin... Anyway, my skin is still messed up from this medication, so it does no good to you. My advice: stop it, before you make the damage worse...

Oh give over, Retin-A does not cause scars, it may cause minor chemical burns that heal on sensitive indivduals but by and large Retin A is one of the best thigns you can do for your skin, acne, scars or not.

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/26/2014 2:20 pm

Oh give over, Retin-A does not cause scars, it may cause minor chemical burns that heal on sensitive indivduals but by and large Retin A is one of the best thigns you can do for your skin, acne, scars or not.

Well, maybe not for you... But I have my own experience and I guess I know my body. Plus, I am a woman, so my skin is naturally thinner and more sensitive than yours. So YES Retin A may cause scarring and weird skin texture (doesn't have to, but there's a possibility)...

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/26/2014 2:48 pm

You were already scarred there and they would have become apparent eventually, Ret just sped it up because it sped up the cell turnover.

Nope, I never broke out in that area, (bottom cheek closer to mouth both sides) until Retin A. Retin A caused cystic pimples that took months to heal hence box scars. Retin a only works for a few people. I don't recommend it for acne sufferers though. Especially if you're young and prone to acne.

Liberte liked
MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/26/2014 3:00 pm

Nope, I never broke out in that area, (bottom cheek closer to mouth both sides) until Retin A. Retin A caused cystic pimples that took months to heal hence box scars. Retin a only works for a few people. I don't recommend it for acne sufferers though. Especially if you're young and prone to acne.

Then by your admission, retin a did not cause your scarring. It would have happened regardless. When starting Retin-a everyone has a period of 'worse' skin, because, to give an oversimplified explanation, it brings existing but not currently visible acne to the surface quicker.

Well, maybe not for you... But I have my own experience and I guess I know my body. Plus, I am a woman, so my skin is naturally thinner and more sensitive than yours. So YES Retin A may cause scarring and weird skin texture (doesn't have to, but there's a possibility)...

No. Retin A does not cause scarring. Atleast read into its mechanism of action before you go running your mouth. If anything Retin A will make it LESS likely that somebody will scar due to it promoting collagen production. Hence why it is great for wrinkles, fine lines and general anti aging.

>Plus, I am a woman, so my skin is naturally thinner and more sensitive than yours

*Klaxxon*

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/26/2014 4:06 pm

Then by your admission, retin a did not cause your scarring. It would have happened regardless. When starting Retin-a everyone has a period of 'worse' skin, because, to give an oversimplified explanation, it brings existing but not currently visible acne to the surface quicker.

>

No. Retin A does not cause scarring. Atleast read into its mechanism of action before you go running your mouth. If anything Retin A will make it LESS likely that somebody will scar due to it promoting collagen production. Hence why it is great for wrinkles, fine lines and general anti aging.

>Plus, I am a woman, so my skin is naturally thinner and more sensitive than yours

*Klaxxon*

ok whatever you say you're 100% right

lmao

Liberte liked
MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/26/2014 4:50 pm

ok whatever you say you're 100% right

lmao

Usually am on this board. It's gone to the dogs - so few of you know a thing about the subject. Going through your posts I can see you have a half decent knowledge, but you sometimes turn dumb, particularly on the subject of laser, diet, and now, tretinoin.

Glad I sorted out my scar issues during the brief sensible time when DDR and the rest of the 'peer review or gtfo' lot were active and ruling the forum.

kylenea liked
MemberMember
(@morningrise)

Posted : 10/26/2014 6:51 pm

Nope.avi, your recommendation would be to continue using it?

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/27/2014 4:04 am

>

*Klaxxon*

Wow! How can you be so mean???

I am just trying to help someone from my own experience. I don't want to argue with you. If you had a different experience, it is ok, we all accept it. Can you accept ours, please?

I guess I am not alone... Even on this thread you can see, that some people adore it and some hate it. It is normal, we are all different.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44866

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/28/2014 2:20 pm

Nope.avi, your recommendation would be to continue using it?

Yes. 'Worse before it gets better' is classic of Tretinoin (and BP, infact)

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/28/2014 2:40 pm

>

*Klaxxon*

Wow! How can you be so mean???

I am just trying to help someone from my own experience. I don't want to argue with you. If you had a different experience, it is ok, we all accept it. Can you accept ours, please?

I guess I am not alone... Even on this thread you can see, that some people adore it and some hate it. It is normal, we are all different.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44866

Maybe your intentions are good but you're disuading people from something that will help them by spreading shit like "Retin A causes scarring!", when it just isn't the case. Minor chemical burns that heal, yes. Scars? No. Scarring due to cysts and dry skin? sure, but thats the persons fault, not the A Rets. You should know how much your skin needs moisturising on that stuff before you start. You should ramp up *really slowly* to prevent it.

That sort of comment can destroy scientific evidence on this forum, cause everyones so fucking fixated on their skin skin and scars. It turns their probable Body Dysmorphic Disorder into overdrive

This is the forum where normal pores has come to mean 'enlarged/scarred pores' in like 80% of related posts, cause they examine their skin for hours a day, each time they'll find out something new wrong, and blame it on whatever miracle cure they're attempting this time. Thats whats going on in these cases (Especially short term use, see above, worse before it gets better etc)

A digression, but it's the same thing makes Fractional Co2 laser such an unpopular suggestion on this forum, even though its most peoples best shot. Some morons don't get their instant-magic-wand results, and scream, as loud as they can, about how their skin looks worse (read: the same as it did before (because results come over time)) after the swelling dies down, when usually its down to them just discovering new 'flaws' under a magnifying glass.

It's fucking annoying to see another one of the few things this forum gets right demonised until you're all smearing dog shit and rosehip oil on your faces cursing big pharma and circlejerking with tears while awaiting results that never come.

MemberMember
(@morningrise)

Posted : 10/28/2014 8:03 pm

Yes. 'Worse before it gets better' is classic of Tretinoin (and BP, infact)

Yeah, I know. I was just hoping I'd be one of the lucky cases that sees results at the magic 3 month mark. I had the horrific IB and came out on the other side looking worse than before, but I'm going to stick it out until month 4 at least. I don't want to have gone through that IB shit for nothing.

But you definitely hit on something with the BDD comment. Reading through all these forums has made me hyper-paranoid about my pores enlarging on retin-a and I find myself scrutinizing them constantly. It's not healthy. It would make me feel so much better I could find an account of just one person who says their pores got larger but that it turned out ok in the end, you know? Everyone talks about the IB and the flaking and the redness getting better with time, but the pore and scar thing is what I'm hung up on.

MemberMember
(@morningrise)

Posted : 11/03/2014 8:12 pm

Bump. Anyone with bad skin texture from retin-a stick with it and see improvement over time?

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 11/04/2014 7:02 am

I think that anything that causes your skin to dry out can make scars appear worse. I know for me it was BP that cause my scarring, my skin was too dry and dehydrated to heal properly from a really bad breakout and I ended up scarring when I never did before. Now I use differin, I'm also on birth control, but the best thing for my scars has been to make sure my skin is well moisturised, it seems to plump up my skin and make scars look less visible. It may be that your skin is still adjusting to the retin a, are you moisturising well before or after using it, I know different dermatologists recommend different ways to use it but I would always use a moisturiser with any retinoid. I also do little things like cleanse and moisturise my face before I take a bath or shower as the steam can dry it out but the moisturiser will help hold on to the moisture from the steam, especially if you have a moisturiser which is a humectant ( like e45 ) which holds on to water. Keeping skin moist is key to helping it repair itself. Maybe try dropping down to a weaker retin a or a different retinoid cream (I know differin is the most gentle, it took a while to work but didn't dry out my skin) and ramping up the moisturiser, as well as keeping your cleansing routine gentle ( I hate foaming cleansers or anything with soap in it) and see how it helps with your redness and scarring. xx

MemberMember
(@morningrise)

Posted : 11/04/2014 8:46 pm

I think that anything that causes your skin to dry out can make scars appear worse. I know for me it was BP that cause my scarring, my skin was too dry and dehydrated to heal properly from a really bad breakout and I ended up scarring when I never did before. Now I use differin, I'm also on birth control, but the best thing for my scars has been to make sure my skin is well moisturised, it seems to plump up my skin and make scars look less visible. It may be that your skin is still adjusting to the retin a, are you moisturising well before or after using it, I know different dermatologists recommend different ways to use it but I would always use a moisturiser with any retinoid. I also do little things like cleanse and moisturise my face before I take a bath or shower as the steam can dry it out but the moisturiser will help hold on to the moisture from the steam, especially if you have a moisturiser which is a humectant ( like e45 ) which holds on to water. Keeping skin moist is key to helping it repair itself. Maybe try dropping down to a weaker retin a or a different retinoid cream (I know differin is the most gentle, it took a while to work but didn't dry out my skin) and ramping up the moisturiser, as well as keeping your cleansing routine gentle ( I hate foaming cleansers or anything with soap in it) and see how it helps with your redness and scarring. xx

That's an awesome tip about moisturizing before a shower or bath. I'm going to try applying my hyaluronic acid serum before showering. I figured I was moisturizing sufficiently (LRP cicaplast baume b5 at night and the cicaplast dermal recovery accelatator in the am under sunscreen) but maybe I need to up my game. If all these skin texture changes are just caused by temporary moisture loss, I think I will cry with relief lol.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 11/05/2014 6:45 am

:) I sometimes apply my hyaluronic acid before my shower or bath as well, I just pat it on instead of rubbing it in and my skin always looks nice an plumped up afterwards. I know my skin texture was terrible about a year and a half ago, I thought it would never get better and hated my shallow scarring. Now I have stuck to my routine for well over a year my skin looks pretty much back to normal and my scarring has really improved in fact it just looked like normal skin with a few imperfections but nothing no one else has. Moisturiser is a must I stick to a normal/dry skin care routine, I used to think I was oily but sometimes those products just make the situation worse. Let me know how you get on x

MemberMember
(@vintageangelwings)

Posted : 11/07/2014 5:32 pm

I sometimes apply my hyaluronic acid before my shower or bath as well, I just pat it on instead of rubbing it in and my skin always looks nice an plumped up afterwards. I know my skin texture was terrible about a year and a half ago, I thought it would never get better and hated my shallow scarring. Now I have stuck to my routine for well over a year my skin looks pretty much back to normal and my scarring has really improved in fact it just looked like normal skin with a few imperfections but nothing no one else has. Moisturiser is a must I stick to a normal/dry skin care routine, I used to think I was oily but sometimes those products just make the situation worse. Let me know how you get on x

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind me asking but what sort of scars do/did you have? Great news that it's really improved :)

Also, I've just been looking at your routine. What would you say has really helped? Anything in particular? Also, where did you get your hyaluronic acid? I currently use Dermalogica & found it's great to stop me breaking out but I need something to help with my scarring really.

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 11/09/2014 2:17 am

Hyaluronic acid is in a lot of skincare products. CeraVe moisturizing lotion has it as well as other skin plumping ingredients. It also helps to add a few drops of some type of oil (almond, jojoba and argan oil are great) to help further plump your skin and add a little bit of dewiness. Don't fall for any expensive moisturizing creams because the vast majority of them are overpriced and you can find drugstore products that work just as well if not better. I used to use Dermalogica (I went to beauty school and had it in my kit) but their stuff is one of the many overpriced skincare lines. I've found other things that work the same way.

I sometimes apply my hyaluronic acid before my shower or bath as well, I just pat it on instead of rubbing it in and my skin always looks nice an plumped up afterwards. I know my skin texture was terrible about a year and a half ago, I thought it would never get better and hated my shallow scarring. Now I have stuck to my routine for well over a year my skin looks pretty much back to normal and my scarring has really improved in fact it just looked like normal skin with a few imperfections but nothing no one else has. Moisturiser is a must I stick to a normal/dry skin care routine, I used to think I was oily but sometimes those products just make the situation worse. Let me know how you get on x

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind me asking but what sort of scars do/did you have? Great news that it's really improved

Also, I've just been looking at your routine. What would you say has really helped? Anything in particular? Also, where did you get your hyaluronic acid? I currently use Dermalogica & found it's great to stop me breaking out but I need something to help with my scarring really.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 11/09/2014 12:42 pm

My scars were quite red at first and slightly indented, I still have some very shallow scarring but only in a small section on my cheek and it's been getting better and better, I don't really notice it much now. I think the big difference has been getting my acne under control, I've been on birth contro for over a year and using differin consistently for over a year as well. I would say that the differin and salycilic acid serum that I use during the day have really help my skin texture, that and lots of moisturiser and being gentle to my skin, so scrubs or soap based cleanser. I got my hyaluronic acid online its by emenence and it is strawberry hyaluronic acid serum, I only use it now and again, I mainly stick to moisturiser and my serum/differin, hope that help xx

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind me asking but what sort of scars do/did you have? Great news that it's really improved