Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forsaken

The only way future kids won't get acne.

Whenever I see a disease or condition I try to think of a possible cure. Since there is no cure for acne there is only one way. Most people will not agree on this and you don't have to but it is a possibility. Don't have children if you have acne. It would solve this problem. Or if you must have children to have a normal life then the government should be able to genetically alter your kids DNA before they are born so that they don't have acne or any other disease for that matter. Both of these are solutions. They may not be the best but they would work.

Even though acne super sucks and I'm 42 having had it more and less since 1971, I would not want my DNA altered or wish parents had not given birth to me or my siblings.The medical community has darn slow in getting good treatments and I think the future is so much better than when I was younger for all aspects of the disease:treatment of lesions and scarring, support, and access to all types of different treatments and more affordable options.I have been so down and fatalistic during my life about my skin, but I refuse to let this disease run my life anymore.

I was thinking about this just a while ago, hopefully, in ten years time, there'd be cure... or maybe when they find the cure for AIDS, that's the sign.

My mum had acne when she was a teenager but I'm glad she didn't take your advice and not have any children or I wouldn't be here today biggrin.gif

Even though it's the bane of my life, having acne has probably made me a better person.

The 5 years since I was 15 were spent almost reclusive. I avoided people as much as I could, which meant that I never had any peer pressure to try to convince me to smoke, take drugs or drink much alcohol because although I had friends, I didn't see them very often, just during school time.

One way I found to sort of avoid people was to play sport (sounds weird I know). This way, I was concentrating on improving my football (soccer) skills during break and lunch times at school and not sitting talking to people, which would have been a real strain for me.

Avoiding people in general meant that I avoided girls at all costs, too - especially if I found them attractive. Therefore, I didn't have any sexual partners and thus missed out on potential sexually transmitted infections.

Constant depression meant that I also started reading self-help books, which has made me a more rounded person.

I'm now 21 and I've never smoked, never taken drugs and drink alcohol very rarely. After Accutane in January 2004 I was much more confident and made new friends easily everywhere I went. I found chatting up girls really easy and had a string of dates.

Then my acne started to rear its ugly head again and I stopped going out socially with people. I'm still a virgin sad.gif but I know that when my skin clears up again I'll be able to continue making new friends and dating more girls. I've got a bright future ahead of me and I'm grateful that I was born.

My life's been tough so far, as I'm sure it has been for everybody on this site, but it's made me positive about the future and I can look back in a few years and say "well done Dean, you've come through a lot. You've done yourself proud and never took the easy way out".

Sorry for long reply, just felt I had to get a lot of this stuff out in the open. biggrin.gif

No, no, having kids will make alot of difference to your life. No parents want their kids to suffer but worse things can happen to them than acne. Still, having kids outweight the disadvantage of not having them (and more so because you don't want them to have acne).

No way, that isn't sensible at least to me. Maybe some people may have some reservations if their children are retarded. But otherwise I don't see the point in this 'purification' of the population. There'll always be stuff you need to face, that's part of life.

I totally relate to Dean's post. I avoided socializing through high school and some of college. I think I probably would have gotten involved in some pretty destructive stuff if I hadn't had this holding me back.

Like Dean getting into football, I started studying English literature and discovered so many authors and ideas I otherwise never would have found.

I've read a lot of self-help books, too: they help you understand yourself and other people and I can't imagine not having that knowledge, even considering what drove me to get it.

Still, I sometimes regret not having experienced all that typical high school nostalgia fodder like prom and parties and road trips.

I totally relate to Dean's post. I avoided socializing through high school and some of college.  I think I probably would have gotten involved in some pretty destructive stuff if I hadn't had this holding me back. 

Like Dean getting into football, I started studying English literature and discovered so many authors and ideas I otherwise never would have found.   

I've read a lot of self-help books, too: they help you understand yourself and other people and I can't imagine not having that knowledge, even considering what drove me to get it.

Still, I sometimes regret not having experienced all that typical high school nostalgia fodder like prom and parties and road trips.

my parents never had acne yet i do so thats idea isnt one ill be persuing

Whenever I see a disease or condition I try to think of a possible cure. Since there is no cure for acne there is only one way. Most people will not agree on this and you don't have to but it is a possibility. Don't have children if you have acne. It would solve this problem. Or if you must have children to have a normal life then the government should be able to genetically alter your kids DNA before they are born so that they don't have acne or any other disease for that matter. Both of these are solutions. They may not be the best but they would work.

Obviously genetics aren't the only factor in wheather you will have acne or not but it plays a big roll. I think that I would rather not have a child then put them through having acne. I don't know how it will affect the rest of my life but I know how it has. I think people are selfish for wanting to have a child they know has a high possibility to have great problems in their life such as disease, acne and acne scarring. Sometimes my mom gets frustrated when I tell her how much I hate my skin and she tells me that we all have problems in our lives. Most people have problems they can control like being over weight or addictions or something like that. I'm a great guy but acne can really fuck up a life. I'm not a better person after having acne. I was better than I am now before I had acne. I care enough about people to not let another person suffer even if it means sacrificing my happiness.

who the heck would do this dodgy dna stuff on their baby for acne> Its not life threatening or anything.

I think this idea borders on eugenics does it not?

Preventing the passing on of genes, in those who have acne?

I'm pretty sure there are things that are much worse; diseases that cause major debilhitation (i think i spelled that wrong) or even worse, death.

Besides, there is much research going on right now that will result in effective acne treatments.

Look how much progress there has been over the last few decades.

Very strange indeed.

I think Jeanie is on every so often.

Don't know where Agent went though? eusa_think.gif

I saw the thread where Jeanie showed the Blythe dolls.

Those are the coolest dolls ever!!!

Apparently, they're pretty expensive though.

user posted image

hahah 1whippedmom aka "yupp'/Joe..you f-in' tell him : )

I can see the point of this thread I guess..For people who don't know punk bitch about genetics!!...

I got my acne from mainly a temporary illness...My dad, although he had some acne has NO scars, my mom never had a zit in her life and the majority of my family is super clear, but i've got scars that people will assume are from mostly genetically caused acne and WHAT? they won't have kids with me for that? Or I shouldn't have kids???

I was born with perfect teeth (that lookee here illness messed up alittle), eat whatever I want stay a size two and ONLY acne's gonna factor in? So what, i should not procreate wit someone who's had braces cause god forbid I don't pass along perfect teeth to my kids? Sorry i'm MAD.

yeah yeah, we want attractive kids so we seek out attractive partners but Lemme tell you, genes are highly suceptible to environmental factors (it's now going toward epigenetics). I've seen plenty of great looking parents have not so good looking kids and vice versa...generations can be skipped it ain't that cut and dry...mad geniuses exist and maybe my pores ARE still clogged and I don't have flawless skin but we come as we are as full genetic packages...The good and objectively beautiful about us wasn't possible without the so-called bad.

That's all, apologies for the rant. i am NOT in the mood for this shit. poor Einstein, I guess he wasn't as worthy to be born as Britney "oops I'm married again" Spears