Notifications
Clear all

Scar Treatment After Two Courses Of Accutane

MemberMember
(@paradoll)

Posted : 10/21/2014 4:09 pm

10 years of cystic acne later in finally getting pretty stable and considering treatment for scarring. Onset at 13/14, I had 6 months accutane at 16, BCP, topical cream and antibiotics throughout until it went out of control again at 21/22 leading to another 5 month course of tane. Earlier this year at 23 I was confirmed diagnosis of PCOS which explains all the hormonal cystic breakouts. Now I'm on 100mg of spironolactone and things have been under control!

I've always had to forego the scar treatments with my dermatologists because of all he active flare ups but on my upcoming appointment I'll finally be discussing scar treatment options.

I'm so sick of caking on makeup everyday and just want to not think about it. Anyone have experience with scar treatment with laser and have positive results for widespread hypertrophic acne scars like these?

Also suggestions around Toronto up to Buffalo would be appreciated!!

I can't believe how long I've been lurking around these forums.

Thanks for everything guys.

post-45226-0-86932700-1413925335_thumb.j

post-45226-0-34131200-1413925359_thumb.j

post-45226-0-66754300-1413925373_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/22/2014 9:34 am

From my own experience, I don't recommend lasers and Retin-A (lasers - no results for a lot of money, Retin-A is actually the reason of my scars). I like dermastamp though. The progress is quite slow, but the risk is minimal. I see very small improvement over 3 months, but I want to give it at least a year.

I have similar scarring like yours (not very deep, but a lot of intends) and I would like to try subcision for the rolling scars and punch float for the boxcar scars and TCA for icepick.

I am sure we will succeed ;)

paradoll liked
MemberMember
(@paradoll)

Posted : 02/04/2015 3:14 pm

Thanks Liberte

As a follow up, I might as well post on here for anyone wondering.

Continued to take spironolactone and topical aczone for about a year now and my acne is so under control, I'm quite happy. I can really consider scar treatment so I consulted my dermatologist about it, asked about anyone who does TCA cross (she had never heard of it before), but she referred me to someone she really recommended who does cosmetic at Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto. I asked that TCA cross be requested specifically on the consult letter, since thats what I have seen as the best results throughout this forum and online, and then I got a call back to make an appointment saying they did offer it (to my surprise). I triple checked that they didn't confuse it with TCA peels, but it looks like they do it!

haven't She's 50% cosmetic and 50% at the hospital for medical dermatology.

I had my appointment with her earlier this week and paid $100 for a consult. Dr. Pon is really sweet, she's 50% cosmetic and 50% at the hospital for medical dermatology. I saw her with a resident and was told that since it's been 2-3 years since my last course of accutane, i'm a candidate for procedure (she likes to leave at least a year of space after treatment for the skin to calm down).

She warned me about the risks of hypo and hyper pigmentation from TCA cross with asian skin, though she hasn't seen it yet... and also told me she offered derma rollers (~$500 for whole face) and CO2 laser treatment (~$2500 per treatment). For around 10-15 ice pick scars for my face, with ~80% TCA, my face my treatment would be around $250 (the initial consult fee will go to this treatment fee). TCA cross would have to be performed a few times for best results maybe 3-4 she said? i'm willing to do more though based on what I've seen here. She described derma roller as 'light' low risk, TCA cross as medium risk and medium treatment and CO2 laser as the most aggressive and successful treatment, though it carries the highest risk of changing pigmentation on non-white skin.

I had done research on it already so we agreed that TCA cross is probably the best option for me anyway. I was scared that she would refer me to another doctor i"ve heard about in the forums but she said she does the procedure herself, was ready to do it then and there but I opted for a later appointment because of the 'social downtime' of around 10 days.

As for any other tips... she recommended applying vaseline or Fucidin after (not polysporin) and gentle cleansers like cetaphil... and no make up (yikes!) until completely healed.

She said she's treated about a dozen cases thus far with TCA... doesn't seem like a lot but better her than me.

I have my first TCA cross treatment tomorrow morning so I will post any updates here....! I hope the downtime isn't any longer than she recommended.