Notifications
Clear all

How I Cured My Acne (W/o Drugs)

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/19/2014 7:01 pm

Hello people, I had moderate-severe acne for 5 years. I am making this post because I want to share the knowledge I attained and maybe hopefully help some people.

This is a long post, but I'm sure people who are suffering from acne who are seeking information will give it a read. I know I wish I knew this information when I was younger.

Things I tried

I have tried so many OTC products. From ProActiv to several other Acne creams I can't even remember... Of course, none of them worked. I also tried several antibiotics and prescription creams like Differin - Did not work either. I came to the conclusion that taking anti-biotic's, or slathering chemicals on my face wasn't going to work (or at least be the only solution).

Investigation

I was so frustrated that finally common sense slapped me in the face. I thought to myself, "Why are these pimples forming?" I know I had good skin hygiene. I wash my face 2-3 time daily - It obviously wasn't that. I realized it had to be diet. There's no other explanation.

So I started researching nutrition. I then found out what really causes acne. And there isn't just one type of acne - There's seven different types of acne.

Androgenic Acne (Male hormone acne, most common)(Women can get it too)
Adrenal Acne
Digestive Acne
Premenstrual conditions
Menopausal Acne
Thyroid Acne
Liver Acne

I'll explain in more detail about each one in the future, but I'll outline what the root cause for all of them are. [some are harder to treat than others (e.g. Liver acne).]

Acne has to be tackled in two ways: Internally (the most important aspect which is what this post is all about) and topically.

Nutrients such as micro nutrients (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals) as well as macro nutrients (fats, protein, carbs) are essential for our bodies to function properly. Our human bodies are composed of ~50 trillion cells (10,000 cells can fit on the head of a needle). And each one of these intricate, miraculous, tiny cells needs these nutrients constantly . The way these cells obtain these nutrients is through the food we eat. It's kind of hard to imagine this, but we humans aren't even conscience of this whole incredible process of how cells function. Each individual cell is like a city: it has government, divine geographical limits, waste treatment plants, power plants, postal office, police force (of course that's an oversimplification, but you get the point). One little cell is more complex than the strongest microchip in the world. Every cell in the human body needs about 90 vitamins + minerals to function optimally.

Problems start to occur when these cells aren't getting the nutrients they need. Is it surprising that people are so sick with the SAD (Standard American Diet)? People are starving their bodies of the nutrition it needs. Just think about it: What do a lot of people eat for the start of the day, and what nutrients are they getting -
Cereal is one of the most popular breakfast meals:
contains very little nutrients (in fact they have to manually add them in - and even then, laughably miniscule) and the processed grains are high in empty carbs which will spike your insulin. The pasteurized dead milk people add contains a few vitamins/minerals and protein.

With that meal, you're virtually starving your body of all the other nutrients it needs. And to add to that, it has to work overtime to process the high-carb, empty calorie's from the cereal and detox the milk. Doing this kind of diet for several years and for even decades, diseases and infections will certainly manifest. Pretty much all diseases are from cell death, e.g. if you have dieing cells in the heart; it's called heart disease; Dieing cells in the bones; it's called arthritis. Nearly all disease's are preventable through proper nutrition.

Just so you get a clearer picture:
SAD Nutrients in avg breakfast: B2, B6, B12, Thiamin, Niacin, Vit A, Vit D

What you should be getting: Gallium, Germanium, Hafnium, Holmium, Neodymium, Praseodymium, Rhenium, Rubidium, Samarium, Scandium, Silica, Silver, Hydrogen, Lanthanum, Lithium, Lutetium, Molybdenum, Iodine, Strontium, Tantalum, Terbium, Thulium, Tin, Titanium, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zirconium, Niobium, Boron, Bromine, Carbon, Nickel, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B3 (Niacin), VitaminB5 (Pantothenic Acid), VitaminB6 (Pyridoxine), Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin), Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Choline, Flavonoids and Bioflavonoids, Folic Acid, Inositol, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Biotin, Valine, Lysine, Threonine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Tryptophan, Phenylalanine, Methionine, Histidine, Arginine, Taurine, Tyrosine, Omega 3 (EPA, DHA, ALA), Omega 6, Omega 9

What we should be consuming is REAL WHOLE FOODS! That means vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, chicken, fish, whole grain bread (not white) - You get the idea. The most important is eating plants, lots of them! And it's not just for the vitamins and minerals but for the more new discovered "phytonutrients." Anything that comes in a box, you need to be weary of. Anything that has a mascot, you need to avoid!

Now, it's important to understand how the plants you eat attains its nutrients:

"Most of the produce you buy in a grocery store does not have anything close to the mineral profile it is supposed to have according to nutritional textbooks. This is because minerals are not manufactured by plants, whereas vitamins and phytonutrients are. When plants create such nutrients, they synthesize them through chemical and energetic processes that can only be called miraculous. But as capable as they are, plants do not create minerals. Minerals have to be absorbed through the soil, and if they are not present in the soil, then the plant's roots cannot take them up, and therefore they will not be present in the plant.

The nutritional and mineral profile of the plant ultimately depends on the mineral content of the soil. Since soils today are so over-farmed and depleted of all but a few basic minerals, most of our produce lacks the minerals they should contain. For example, a lot of plants absorb selenium when selenium is present in the soil. But when selenium is not present in the soil, of course it's not available to the plant. The plant gets grown and taken to the store and sold and consumed anyway, even though it doesn't have the levels of selenium that it should contain according to traditional textbooks." - naturalnews.com

So this creates a dilemma for us: mass produced agriculture foods don't contain the vitamins and minerals they're supposed to have that humans need. And a whole other issue is the fluoridated water and dangerous/poisonous pesticides they use. Now, the simple way to resolve this would be to grow your own food - Organic vegetables is the way to go. Or if you're lucky, you have access to locally grown organic food. Unfortunately, many of us don't have access to organic food. However, there is a way to remedy that problem and that is through supplementation, which I'll talk about in a bit.

So far, what I hope you got out of this is acne is not a skin issue, it's a internal issue. You could slather all the chemicals in the world on your face, but you will never *cure* your acne. Sure, you could hide the symptoms temporarily - But is that how you want to approach a disease? Would you want to hide the "check engine light" in a car by simply putting masking tape over it? Obviously not because the car will break down in the future. Essentially that's what acne is, a "check engine light" if you will: a warning that your body is breaking down. Acne is almost a good thing, because it is a very minor disease compared to the other major debilitating diseases that can/will follow if not treated properly.

The good news is our bodies are miraculous. When you get a cut, the body automatically knows what to do and heals that wound. The same is true for your entire body. The body is capable of healing itself. Once you feed the body the nutrients it needs, you will go from break down mode, to build up mode. The body is constantly breaking down, and building up. You want to be in the net positive of that scale. If you're suffering from any disease, you're in net break-down. If you're healthy and strong, you're in net build-up.

Now this brings me to supplementation. Being alive in the 21st century has its many down falls: Poisoned water, poisoned air, poisoned food.. just to name a few. But, we do have a few upsides: vitamin and mineral extraction. Since we aren't getting them in the food we eat, we have to get them somehow and supplementation gives us that opportunity. A lot of people already know to take their "daily" multivitamin. It's important to note however that 1 multivitamin is really like a drop of water in a bucket - nutritionally speaking. It's very beneficial if you're taking one, but the body needs to utilize vitamins/minerals throughout the day. With one multivitamin you get a spike of vitamins/minerals; the body, however, prefers a low steady amount.You pee out the water soluble vitamins (such as the B vitamins and vitamin C) which need to be replenished. This is why we unfortunately have to supplement in today's world - "supplement" meaning to supplement what you're already eating.

A side note about the current medical model... If doctors and dermatologists really cared about you, they would ask you about your diet and life style. They are very quick at prescribing you a drug that will only make the problem much worse down the road. Drugs only mask the symptom. For example, if you go to the doctor's office for back pain, is he going to help you *cure* your back pain? Most likely not. You're just going to leave the building with a prescription in your hand for pain medication. Doctors and dermatologists are salesmen for the pharmaceutical company's. If you read into the history of the pharmaceutical industry, you will understand how they took control of the current medical system. They fund nearly all of the medical schools and these "doctors" are then only taught how to administer drugs, and not heal the body. It's a very evil conspiracy that causes hundreds of thousands of deaths yearly, where most of them can be prevented. I want to add that most doctors are well meaning, but unfortunately they are victims of propaganda. I AVOID the doctors office. I know that if I walk in there, I will walk out with a prescription that will harm me.

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease." - Thomas A. Edison

The ideal way of supplementing your vitamins/minerals is through liquid fashion. The body assimilates the nutrients much more readily. Powder multivitamin/mineral that you mix in liquid is the optimal form. The key is to drink in small doses throughout the day. This is how the body likes it the best; slow and steady all day (almost like a IV drip). Does this make sense to you? Each cell in our body requires these minerals and vitamins to be able to function.

So now you know how important vitamins and minerals are. Next you need to know how important fats are. Yes, fats are very important; specifically the EFA's omega 3's and omega 6's. We know that cells needs vitamins and minerals to function; cells also need fats. EFA's act as a structural component of all the cell membranes and are vital for thousands of chemical reactions in our bodies.The reason they're called EFA's (Essential Fatty Acid's) is because we need them in our diet. Essential in the world of nutrition means it needs to be consumed: the body can't produce it on its own. Most people these days are deficient in EFA's: specifically Omega 3's. One way to know if you're deficient is if you have dry skin. EFA's is what hydrates the skin. No one should have dry skin! Which also leads me to say that moisturizers are a hoax; a scam. The skin moisturizing business is a huge business in and of itself. Ever wonder why you apply moisturizer constantly, yet you still have dry skin? It's because moisturizers only mask's the symptom! Sure you feel better temporarily because you coated your skin in oil/wax/whatever, but you will still have dry skin! No hocus pocus, potion lotion will solve an internal issue. EFA's are very important for your health: they play a significant role in our body's function.

If you're already supplementing with EFA's, you're ahead of the game. You should be making sure you're getting plenty of EFA's in your diet. The best way to get EFA's is from flaxseed oil. Flaxseed has the perfect amount of Omega 3's and 6's. I recommend Flaxseed oil in liquid bottles, or in gel capsules. A sufficient amount is 6-9 tablespoons; or 9-12 capsules. The amount needed depends on you - everyone is different. Experiment with different doses and see how you feel. I really like the brand called Udo's oil.

Last, but not least - Probiotics. Our guts have millions of different bacteria inside. Good bacteria and bad bacteria. Ideally, you want a healthy amount of the good bacteria in your gut so they can fight off the bad bacteria. The good bacteria is like your own little army, protecting your fortress. These good bacteria not only protect you from bad bacteria, but they also synthesize vitamins your body needs. Most people don't have proper flora ecology in their system. When bad bacteria takes control of your gut, huge implications occur such as yeast overgrowth, leaky gut syndrome, etc. It's extremely important to have a healthy digestive system. Healthy food such as vegetables and fruits promote healthy good bacteria, while junk food (high sugar, highly processed food) promotes bad bacteria (they love sugar).

I recommend to take a high quality pro-biotic. Don't skimp on quality. 80-100 billion units daily is a good place to be to re-balance your flora ecology. If you've taken antibiotics, this step is even more crucial for you. Being on antibiotics wipes out all of the bacteria in your gut: the good and the bad. For some, it can take months or even years to re-balance the flora ecology.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So I hope you have a little bit of a better understanding of health. Now I'll recommend the brand I use.

The multimineral/vitamin I use is called Beyond Tangy Tangerine 2.0. From my research, it's the best quality complete multi vitamin/mineral you can get out there, and for a great price. It's in powder form and has a ORAC value (antioxidant rating) of over 8000; whereas, most other brands are below 1000. It's also all naturally derived, non-gmo, organic, from 120 fruits and vegetables with no preservatives or fillers and has probiotics. Can be found here: [Edited link out] Make sure to sign up as a preferred customer, so you get 30% off. I personally get the "Healthy Body Blood Sugar Pak"

Here's a list of the especially essential ones for acne sufferers:

80-100 billion units probiotics; multiple strains
50 mg zinc picolinate
20,000 IU vitamin a
3-5 grams vitamin c (throughout the day)
200 - 500mg NAC
EFA's (the amount varies for each individual, use your skin/lips as an indicator)
digestive enzymes with lipase
.5-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight

vitamin B5 5-9 grams (for people with oily skin)(throughout the day)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So that's for supplementation, now let's get to the basics of a healthy diet. If you want to get clear, you have to eat healthy too. Eating healthy and supplementing work hand-in-hand, synergistically. You can't just supplement and eat junk food and expect clear skin (but if you are eating junk food, supplementing is even more vital). With that said:

Food I Consume/Avoid

Avoid:
Drinks in high calories, such as sugary juices and sodas
Dangerous oils. Canola oil, soybean oil, vegetable oil are all highly refined oils that are bad for you. (Goods oils are Extra virgin olive oil and Coconut oil)
Starchy foods are also problematic like white potatoes and peas. (starch gets converted into sugar)
Avoid synthetically manufactured chemicals such as aspartame, MSG, and fluroide
Avoid Fast food places such as: McDisease's, Taco Hell, Kentucky Fried Cancer, etc...

What to consume: Vegetables, Vegetables, Vegetables! Ideally you should be eating veggies for breakfast, lunch. and dinner. Added with that is good sources of protein. Chicken, Fish, and Eggs, are all good sources of protein. (Once in a while I'll eat red meat).
Bone soup has incredible medicinal properties (google it to learn how to make it)
Organic *grass fed* butter is healthy
Cultured Vegetables is a really good way to get pre/probiotics. (google it to learn how to make it)
Nuts/seeds - Very good source of protein/ fats (Careful how you get them, roasting/light oxidizes the fats, and many can be allergic)
Legumes (Becareful here too: common source of allergens) - Good source of protein

Organic Bread (Never eat white bread!)

Protein is very important. Most people are under proteinated. You should be getting at least .5 - 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (depending on your amount of physical activity). What everybody should be doing is taking protein powders. The best source of protein powder is 100% Whey protein (If you're one of the few that can't tolerate Whey protein, there are alternatives such as Hemp protein, Egg protein, etc). And if you're a guy and lifting weights like me, you should get 2-3 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Also, the cool part with being amply proteinated, your sugar cravings will diminish. When you crave sugar, it's because your brain is telling you you don't have enough protein. Whey protein can be considered a miracle source of protein. One of the highest quality sources of protein is considered to be eggs. In fact, the biological value of all protein is rated against eggs, eggs being considered the top score of 100; cow milk 91; beef 80; soy 74. Whey protein has an amazing score of 104! Whey Protein boosts your immune system and has the full spectrum of amino acids crucial for all cell function. Careful with the brand of Whey Protein you get though. Many are over-processed and contain many artificial ingredients that aren't good for you.

Whey Protein also is a excellent source of glutamine. Many acne sufferers have digestive track issues. Glutamine repairs the digestive lining. Whey Protein can be especially beneficial for people who have leaky gut syndrome. It bypasses digestion because it's liquid and goes straight to work nourishing your body.

I recommend "One World Whey." It's the best quality Whey Protein I can find. It's grass-fed, free range, and unpasteurized. Can be found here: http://www.sgn80.com/One-World-Whey

A tip is to hack into your brain wiring. If you're craving any sort of grains/sugar, treat it as protein deficiency. If you're craving greasy fat foods, get your EFA's. In short:
Craving Grains/Sugar - Drink Protein
Craving Fatty foods - Get your EFA's

You'll find that if you drink a protein shake with some flaxseed oil and coconut oil, any cravings disappear almost immediately.

Now that you understand a good diet and supplementation, I'll add that I recommend to cleanse your face twice a day: in the morning and the evening with salycilic acid. Also applying benzyl peroxide (Dan's product is good) or salycilic acid toner can help speed up the healing process.

Also EVERYONE with acne should use Retinoic Acid (vitamin A). Retin-A is the best thing you can apply topically that will dramatically speed up the healing process. Retinyl Palmitate can also be used, but it's not as effective as retin a since retinyl palmitate gets converted into retinoic acid.

Conclusion

So I have been clear for over a year now. I used to have moderate-severe acne and now my skin is as smooth as it was when I was 13 years old. I still have a few red blemishes from my old acne that's healing (gone now). But when I run my hand through my skin, I'm still amazed at how soft and smooth it is after all these years from having acne. I even feel great and healthy now. I know this may be a dramatic life style change for some people, but this is what it took for me to finally get rid of the awful skin disease known as acne. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edit

I should also add a few more things that will help contribute to clearing your acne.

Exercise is very important. It helps moves your blood around and oxygenate your body. It also helps move around all the nutrients throughout your body. A little as 15 minutes of a hard work out, stressing out your body is all you need to maintain good health. Deep breathing is also important. At least for 1 minute(or longer! There's some neat apps on the iPhone) a day do deep inhaling and powerful exhaling: 7 seconds inhale, 7 seconds exhale. When inhaling breath with your stomach, pushing it out: When exhaling breath with your stomach going in. You will feel better doing this; it helps your adrenal glands. A clear state of mind without stress is vital too. Meditating, deep breathing, or yoga can all help achieve that.

When you wake up, do 1-2 minutes of jumping jacks to get the lymph system circulating. After sleeping for several hours, it gets sluggish. You'll also feel more energized. You can also get one of those mini trampolines called a "rebounder."

At least 8 glasses of water a day. It cleanses and detoxifies your body. Men should drink 3 liters(13 cups); Woman 2.2 liters(9 cups) for the best results. I have a 1 gallon jug so it's easy to know where I'm at.

Also, some people may have troubles absorbing the vitamins and EFA's (this is common, especially among older folks). I suggest everyone take digestive enzymes. Enzymes will help the body digest the food as well as absorb more of the nutrients. Best to take enzymes with or before a meal and swigging some apple cider vinegar will activate the enzymes.

This whole regimen is not only about curing your acne, but your overall health too. Once you give the body what's it's supposed to be getting, you're really going to feel the difference of how a HEALTHY body should be. You'll find that you have a clearer mind, more energy, most diseases will be cured, and you will rarely get sick.

Attain some form of spirituality; a purpose of life.

Hope this helps. Good luck and good health to you all. =)

AhaGuru, oblivious95, Acdety and 6 people liked
MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/19/2014 8:01 pm

nice thread, people need to realize diet plays a huge part in acne whether they want to believe it or not

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/20/2014 2:52 pm

While I hear what you're saying and totally agree that giving your body what it needs is a great plan to help prevent a whole host of diseases, especially diabetes, I also know people who eat crap and their skin still looks great...my mother was one...ate a crappy diet, no exercise, obese...ultimately succumbed to diabetes...but great skin...no wrinkles either...and others who eat great, do the right things and still have bad skin...i.e me lol. But... my worst skin also coincided with my worst eating...in my teens. Ate better in my 20's...skin better (not great) in my 20's. Ate fantastic in 30's AND exercised regularly...annnd...BAD SKIN in my 30's! WTF!? I went for the topicals...I had to...it was that or risk permanent scarring. I used them for about a year...then my acne resolved on its own. To this day I have no idea why I had acne that lasted 24 years...maybe it really was years of bad eating choices still affecting me years later. Maybe genetically my cure date was set from conception...who knows. Today I am acne-free. I am sure healthy diet, regular exercise, and multi are helping to keep my skin clear. I do indulge in the occasional McD's double cheeseburger...hey we all have our weaknesses! lol But I think what ultimately cured my acne was time.

Great you are leading such a healthy lifestyle! Well done!!! Bet we can eat off your skin! :)

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/21/2014 3:09 am

While I hear what you're saying and totally agree that giving your body what it needs is a great plan to help prevent a whole host of diseases, especially diabetes, I also know people who eat crap and their skin still looks great...my mother was one...ate a crappy diet, no exercise, obese...ultimately succumbed to diabetes...but great skin...no wrinkles either...and others who eat great, do the right things and still have bad skin...i.e me lol. But... my worse skin also coincided with my worse eating...in my teens. Ate better in my 20's...skin better (not great) in my 20's. Ate fantastic in 30's AND exercised regularly...annnd...BAD SKIN in my 30's! WTF!? I went for the topicals...I had to...it was that or risk permanent scarring. I used them for about a year...then my acne resolved on its own. To this day I have no idea why I had acne that lasted 24 years...maybe it really was years of bad eating choices still affecting me years later. Maybe genetically my cure date was set from conception...who knows. Today I am acne-free. I am sure healthy diet, regular exercise, and multi are helping to keep my skin clear. I do indulge in the occasional McD's double cheeseburger...hey we all have our weaknesses! lol But I think what ultimately cured my acne was time.

Great you are leading such a healthy lifestyle! Well done!!! Bet we can eat off your skin!

That is a common question people ask: Why do some people eat so bad, yet have clear skin?! Well, it's simple. Everyone breaks down differently. For acne sufferers, we break down in the form of comedones i.e. acne. It may be embarrassing for some people to have acne, but it's actually a blessing in disguise! It is a visible signal for us that something is going out of whack. Unfortunately for other people, their body will break down in different ways, such as diabetes, or heart diseases. Acne is a blessing in that, we can heal ourselves, using acne as a meter, before much worse health problems manifest!

Derby, Sandiee365, shineemazee and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/21/2014 7:50 am

Wow, you're full of nutrition info! Are you studying nutrition or just researched a lot?

I think giving your body the things it needs (nutritious food, plenty of water, exercise, fresh air, sunshine, enough rest, minimize stress, etc) is always a great idea regardless of skin issues. Helping your body feel better helps YOU feel better...physically, mentally, spiritually. When you feel better, your outlook is better, more positive, sunnier...so things like acne and your appearance are less apt to get you down. Healthy lifestyle coupled with finding the right skin plan that works for you to treat the immediate symptoms while you wait for your body to sort itself out are a good idea...still, not everyone heals at the same rate inside or outside which is why I think the results on here are so varied.

Me...I take a common sense approach to nutrition and keep things simple or else drive myself and my family crazy lol...I feel best when I eat minimally processed foods, especially raw fruits, veggies, and nuts...or the "Caveman Diet" as some people on here call it...maybe I was a hunter-gatherer in a former life lol

I've also read that blood type can play a role when using diet to heal from within...I've been eating a typical Type O diet for many years before ever hearing about "eating right for your type"...thoughts?

Everyone is different...some people load up on whole grains and feel great...Still, "Eat your veggies!" is good sound advice for anyone even if it is such a mom thing lol. I think ultimately everyone has to find what works best for them, and then stick with it!

Jim Bean liked
MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 10/22/2014 3:04 pm

Nice post it is very true.

It does make sense, for me diet changes helped a lot especially after long courses of anti biotics when I was in my early 20's. But since about the age of 23 years old, I haven't been able to completely stop the spots from coming even with great diet and exercise. Sure its looked clear, but then its also broke out at the most inconvenient of times, meaning my social and family life has suffered because of how it effects my mental state so much. Plus I was a picker..

I think my acne is hormone related, as when I work out hard, I get spots, same as a day or so after sex.

Looking at when I broke out quite badly was particularly around the time I started drinking milk to bulk up more. On this note, I did cut out dairy years and years ago, it helped greatly but now I am extremely lactose intolerant.. I think i have always been mildly intolerant too.

For me, after Accutane i am going to do all that i can to get back to full health internally and externally. And most importantly i've accepted it, it doesnt get me down as much now, but of course i'd love to be clear for good! who wouldn't...

Overflood, what do you think about this http://www.lifeplus.com/uk-en/product-details/4471 an acne.orger sent me this years ago and said he cleared up 3 months into it. Only now does it make complete sense..

I am thinking about supplementing with omega 3 6 9 whilst on accutane and probably vit D as well. I'd like to take the full multivitamin whilst on the tane but not sure if i can or not.

Jim Bean liked
MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/23/2014 5:30 pm

@DebraYR As for blood type diets, I can't comment on that: haven't done any research on that topic. But you hit the nail on the head: "Everyone is different...some people load up on whole grains and feel great...Still, "Eat your veggies!" is good sound advice for anyone even if it is such a mom thing lol. I think ultimately everyone has to find what works best for them, and then stick with it!"

The biggest problem for people is listening and understanding the bodies signs and symptoms. Something as benign as spinach, someone can be intolerant to, but continue eating it thinking it's healthy, when they are actually hurting themselves!. We have to play food detective. =)

@JackTheLad Dairy is dangerous for acne prone people: especially for people with androgenic acne. Hormones in milk cause hormone malfunction - specifically DHT hormones. I do recommend people to cut off dairy and see how they do in 3 weeks.

I checked the product you linked and only skimmed through due to lack of time, and it looks decent, however some of the ingredients I am skeptical of, namely the anti-caking agent they added.

@naomi4 Dairy is definitely a acne aggravater. =)

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/23/2014 7:04 pm

Overfl00d: "Hormones in milk cause hormone malfunction"...I know that most commercial milk contains added synthetic hormones and antibiotics which is why I only buy organic milk and eggs...what about organic dairy products? Does this also cause hormone malfunction?

Yeah, I use how I feel after eating a food as a gauge...I always feel like crap after eating grains even whole ones so I avoid them (Type O's tend to have trouble processing grains and starches)...sucks because I LOVE whole-wheat pasta and brown rice (and pizza!) but they don't love me lol...on pizza night in my house I just eat the topping, my family eats my crust so it works out (: Quinoa and barley are good subs for rice and tolerable in limited amounts.

Would have been interesting to try eliminating dairy years ago in my 20s or 30s to see if this helped...maybe my particular acne would have responded to this, who knows...I still drink milk (mainly for the protein and calcium/Vit D) but do not get inflamed acne so guess milk is safe for me...I do recall getting flare-ups during both of my pregnancies...hormones most likely but could also have been in response to me taking in more dairy...

Jim Bean liked
MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 10/25/2014 10:40 pm

I completely agree with everything you wrote and strive to have the same lifestyle. I eat extremely healthy and have been for half a year now. I'm a happy activist of the paleo diet. I only eat all natural veggies with all natural protein every meal of the day and i only drink water. Too many fruits (simple carbs) make me breakout. I have also tried juicing, including just veggie juices, just fruit juices, mixtures of both, and only juicing for periods at a time. I get at least eight hours of sleep every night. I've supplemented on and off so many times with numerous supplements including probiotics and digestive enzymes when my gut was a mess. I was confident that healing it would resolve my acne, via the skin-gut axis, and i did heal it. I healed my gut, but not my acne. So disappointing. I use to weightlift 3 or 4 days a weak, or run for at least 15 minutes every day of the week, yet found that this only made me break out worse! I don't do drugs, and i use all natural products on my skin. YET MY SKIN IS STILL GARBAGE. Are my genes just that awful? Could you help me out? Is there something I'm missing? I mean what about food allergies? But how the hell do you figure out if you have a food allergy. It is nearly impossible to do so! Anyways I'm thinking about just trying to get the whole mess of supplements you listed, and start exercising again, and just hope it works out. Or I'll just get that Tangy Tangerine Powder. Could you give me more details on this product? What all is in it, and is it all I need? How many times a day should i use it? But what are the exact supplements you use from that list? How long have or did you use them? Also do you know anything about comedonal acne and blackheads? What about all natural and organic skin care products? Thanks for your time!!!

Jim Bean liked
MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/26/2014 12:55 am

@debrayr Even all natural organic milk has hormones. Hormones are naturally present in lactating cows, for the baby cow to grow.

Yeah, usually it's the food we love and ate all our lives, we have to give up! =(

I'd like to refer you to this video:

@Nbury That's great! You sound like a motivated individual. My most important advice for you is to figure out which foods you are intolerant to, and it could be anything. You could be juicing a vegetable you think is healthy, but you may actually be intolerant to. What you have to do is to pay attention to your digestive symptoms. If you eat something, and a few hours later you get heart burn, gassy, etc (google digestive symptoms) or you have loose stools, constipation, you are eating something you are intolerant to. I recommend a "mono diet" where you eat simple foods, so it's easier to figure out what food you are intolerant to (for example, instead of eating a BLT sandwich, you would just eat chicken and lettuce, very simple combinations).

Once you figure out what foods you are intolerant to, I suggest you start a supplementation program. The Beyond Tangy Tangerine is a great product. What you do is drink 2 scoops through out the entire day, so you get a slow and steady intake of vitamins and minerals. That way, you aren't just pee'ing out vitamins in one stand. What Beyond Tangy Tangerine (BTT) is is a powder to liquid form of nutrition so you're immediately absorbing the nutrients. It's an all organic formula that has every single vitamin and mineral your body needs. What I do is add two scoops in a water jug, and drink it throughout the entire day. It has an incredible amount of the B vitamins, so it's also going to give you a energy boost, and because it has all the other nutrition your body needs, it will also curb hunger pangs.

However, BTT is not all that you will need, you still want to take your good quality (without harmful additives) multi vitamin/mineral. You should also get a good quality probiotic (I like to use this brand called Dr Murray's 12x12) and getting 80-120 billion units daily. Get your EFA's through fish oil, or I like to use a brand called Udo's Oil. You should also be taking 50 mg zinc picolinate: very important! Most people are so deficient in zinc, when it's so cheap to supplement, because they are not getting it in their diets (picolinate is absorbed easiest). What else... Oh and you'll want to get organic apple cider vinegar (I like Braggs) and take a swig after every meal to help with digestion and absorption (even better if you get digestive enzymes before you eat meals, and the apple cider vinegar will active those enzymes). Grass fed Whey protein is also very good for your body, if you aren't allergic to it (most people aren't).

My favorite all natural skin care products I get from here: http://www.sanitas-skincare.com/ They have a great salicylic acid face wash, toner, and vitamin C moisturizer.

I may of missed some stuff, but this would be a great start. I'll come back and edit if I remember any more. Best of luck! =)

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/26/2014 2:41 am

so since im in my teens, you think my acne (only have acne on my cheeks) could be a result of androgenic hormones? Or will improving my diet also improve my acne?

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/26/2014 10:27 am

NBury: Food allergies: You can do food elimination to see how your body/skin responds although I just go by how I feel to help me make food decisions, especially since I no longer have acne as a gauge. If a food makes me feel like crap a little while after I eat it (fatigue, bloating, etc.) I avoid it. You could also tell your doctor you want to be tested for food allergies...they'll draw blood and test it for common food allergens such as wheat/gluten, dairy/casein, eggs, etc. I've never done this, I've just gone by how I feel, but it may be worth having done if you're unsure.

Overfl00d: Dairy and specifically yogurt could be what's aggravating my son's acne. He loves yogurt but only began eating it daily about a year ago or so...around the same time he started getting acne although genetically he is following in my footsteps...my skin was about the same at that age, worse actually...only way to know for sure would be to eliminate it and see how his skin responds but it's a good food source in terms of protein, calcium, and probiotics that I hate to take it away...he already self-limits on a lot of stuff. Thanks for the video, very interesting! (:

Jim Bean liked
MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/26/2014 2:43 pm

so since im in my teens, you think my acne (only have acne on my cheeks) could be a result of androgenic hormones? Or will improving my diet also improve my acne?

hormonal acne is around mouth , lips and jawline

if you have it on your cheek then improving your diet will help alot

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/26/2014 3:43 pm

@debrayr I can almost sense from here, it's the yogurt that is breaking out your son! Just my intuition. I would see how he does without any dairy for 3 weeks, with also having him take 40-50mg zinc picolinate and EFA's (cod liver oil). And also making sure he's using a salicylic face wash and toner twice a day to remove oil/debris.

@Antonthegreat Acne on the cheeks is indicative that it's diet related acne. Is it rashy type of acne, or singular pimples? Hormonal acne is on the T-Zone (A T from the middle of your face, the forehead, nose, chin area).

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 10/26/2014 4:29 pm

hormonal acne is around mouth , lips and jawline

if you have it on your cheek then improving your diet will help alot

Agreed. From changing to an all natural diet, the big deep pimples i got on my cheeks that would last for a week, stopped occurring.

As for my acne around my mouth and on my chin, i do believe it is hormonal. It's mostly comedonal acne (small white bumps under skin) and blackheads. What is the best way to cure hormonal acne?

@overfl00d

Ok i already ordered BTT and i will get those other supplements. Do you know of any combos of them to make things easier? I know from experience it's a pain in the butt to down 10 pills before a meal. As for your skin care products, they look really interesting. But there's also a ton of choices and they're extremely expensive. Can you give me some more details on these products, from your experience and research? Could you compare them to RSVP men's skin care?

Do you have any answers for getting rid of hormonal acne? I get a bunch of small white under-skin bumps (comedonal acne) around my mouth and on my chin, and they never go away! Are these hormonal?

Thanksss

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/26/2014 5:00 pm

@debrayr I can almost sense from here, it's the yogurt that is breaking out your son! Just my intuition. I would see how he does without any dairy for 3 weeks, with also having him take 40-50mg zinc picolinate and EFA's (cod liver oil). And also making sure he's using a salicylic face wash and toner twice a day to remove oil/debris.

@Antonthegreat Acne on the cheeks is indicative that it's diet related acne. Is it rashy type of acne, or singular pimples? Hormonal acne is on the T-Zone (A T from the middle of your face, the forehead, nose, chin area).

Its singular pimples,

Also, might I add. Since I live in a dorm on the weekdays since im in college, would I be better off taking a multi-vitamin? Vegetables are very hard to get here, but I do have a large supply of fruits. The food I eat is microwaved from home, I cook them at home then freeze them (most of the vegetables in there are carrots and potatoes).

I'd also like to add that I eat brown rice as well as whole wheat bread with peanut butter. Would you recommend I stop peanut butter consumption?

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 10/26/2014 5:55 pm

Its singular pimples,

Also, might I add. Since I live in a dorm on the weekdays since im in college, would I be better off taking a multi-vitamin? Vegetables are very hard to get here, but I do have a large supply of fruits. The food I eat is microwaved from home, I cook them at home then freeze them (most of the vegetables in there are carrots and potatoes).

I'd also like to add that I eat brown rice as well as whole wheat bread with peanut butter. Would you recommend I stop peanut butter consumption?

If you really want to get your diet straight, i recommend the Paleo diet or something like it. I've been on the Paleo diet for half a year and my cheek, neck, chest, back, and butt acne has gone away. I don't get big, deep, painful pimples.

There are some healthy foods that can make you break out due to a high glycemic load, google this for more info, such as boiled potatoes, and bananas, because of their high simple-carbs. Simple carbs in a high amount will spike your blood just like eating candy. Google simple carbs and complex carbs for more info. I know that if i eat a whole cooked white potato, i break out.

You can always just stick with simple green vegetables, and there is a lot of fruit that doesnt have a ton of natural sugars (simple carbs) such as berries.

Wheat and wheat-products and grains are a big problem for a lot of acne sufferers, such as myself. So if you want, try eliminating grains, brown rice and bread. Sure you can eliminate peanut butter too, or just get organic all natural peanut butter, because it wont have added sugar.

Honestly, google and do you research on natural versus processed. Processed foods will most likely break you out if you're acne prone. So just switch to all natural substitutes, and if you still break out, stop eating them.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/26/2014 6:18 pm

@NBury Unfortunately there's no combo pill, except BTT kinda is like a super combo. The extra vitamins/minerals are just what the BTT doesn't have enough of, like zinc 50mg picolinate. Some people freak out having to take so many pills, but vitamin and mineral pills aren't drugs, they're just elements that we need - which we used to get from the soil back when farming maintained their soils through vigorous and tedious soil maintenance and rotation. Modern agriculture, all they add is N-P-K, 3 basic elements which is enough for plants to grow, but not the full spectrum of minerals it would contain in a healthy rich soil, we humans need! It sucks we need to take so many pills to feed our cells the nutrition it needs, but thank God we're able to!

Acne around your mouth area does sound hormonal. Zing picolinate is a hormone stabilizing mineral. EFA's will stabilize your hormones. 5-10 grams vitamin C is also very good for regulating your system (throughout the day, not in one dose). And very importantly, eliminating foods you are intolerant to!!!

As for the skin products, I get three products: Salicylic Herbal Cleanser, Mild Medicated Toner, Topical C

@Antonthegreat It does sound like your acne is diet related. You definitely should take a good quality multi vitmain/mineral: not the ones found in stores like Walmart, those are toxic. Fruits should be eaten very minimally, they are high in sugar, and don't have too much in terms of nutrition (not to say they don't have nutrients, but most of the nutrition is found on the peel, and the inside flesh is all sugar). Carrots and potatoes are not the type of vegetables you get the nutrition you need. The high density nutritional vegetables come from the green ones, like kale, broccoli, etc. You may also be intolerant to wheat, might want to try to eliminate that for a few weeks and see how you do. I would stay away from peanut butter. Nuts are very tricky. You should only eat nuts when they're in the shell and not roasted. Light and heat oxidizes nuts, which can turn them into a carcinogen.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/26/2014 7:39 pm

Overfl00d: After reading responses to ATG's post I think my son's acne is definitely hormonal...duh, he's a teen lol. Classic T zone presentation...since dairy can affect hormone levels, the way he breaks out makes even more sense. I take purified fish oil daily...would this be a good EFA source? I'll look into the zinc supp.

Thanks! (:

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/27/2014 12:37 am

@Nbury @Overflood Thanks for your responses! I'll try this out for a week and see if there are any improvements. Would I have to quit cold turkey on the processed foods? Or can I still eat them every few days, assuming im eating way more green vegetables?

Also looking to blend these green vegetables with some fruits since I literally cannot stand the taste of some veggies. Will update in about a week

@debra - hope your son gets rid of his acne soon :)

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@ooglook)

Posted : 10/27/2014 12:30 pm

Ha, I can't take multivitamins etc, I'm a money-less teenager. It's a shame that everything is toxic and we need to get what we need from supplements and organic expensive foods. It's worth it, yes, but I wish it could be simpler so I would have a chance in this.

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 10/28/2014 2:23 pm

Ever tried to take probiotics? I wanted to share a new Clear Skin Weekend article on this topic: "Got acne? Swallow some bacteria." The article explores reserach on probiotic treatments and acne. Hope it's helpful!

Yes this is a very announced topic amongst acne sufferers. Healing your gut ultimately heals your skin, due to the gut-skin axis. It makes complete scientific sense and i do believe it. Though, when i did heal my gut after 2 months of daily probiotic, enzyme, and stomach acid intakes, my acne did not go away. I use to have daily bloating and cramps, and i got rid of them! But my acne did not go away. So maybe it does not work for everyone, or i did not fully heal my gut. I am going to starting taking probiotics and enzymes for a longer period of time and see.

@Nbury @Overflood Thanks for your responses! I'll try this out for a week and see if there are any improvements. Would I have to quit cold turkey on the processed foods? Or can I still eat them every few days, assuming im eating way more green vegetables?

Also looking to blend these green vegetables with some fruits since I literally cannot stand the taste of some veggies. Will update in about a week

It is really hard to stop eating food that you've been eating your whole life. But it is so worth it if you want to be rid of acne, and just be overall healthier. So always keep in mind that your arn't doing it just for acne, but to be a healthier individual. A lifetime of processed foods and GMOs ultimately lead to diseases, sickness, and death. So the sooner you stop, the better off you will be! Always be happy that you have a chance to start over. Anyways, as far as going cold turkey goes, I slowly moved into a 100% natural diet. My first couple of weeks I still ate an oreo or a subway sandwich here and there just because this new diet was so foreign. And this is recommended; to take things at your own pace and at your own comfort. I found that my acne was still persistant, and i finally just went cold turkey on all processed foods, and started seeing results. So you can choose to do that as well. However be prepared, because your body will not be ready. You will have many cravings! You will have to be so so strong minded to overcome them. After a lifetime of eating processed and crappy foods, your body has done what it can to be accustomed to this. So switching to an all natural diet will sort of upset it for a month or longer. You will feel sluggish, get headaches, and have digestion problems such as constipation. But don't fear, these are only temporary affects, and your body will transfer. I know for the first month of my diet, i got a headache everyday and it was so hard to walk up stairs. I would advise supplementing while you are changing your diet, just to help out. Make sure you always get at least 8 hours of sleep and drink loads of water! Do what you can to help your body through. You'll be a new person at the other end, to say the least haha.

P.S.

I now eat so many kinds of veggies, that i hated and never thought i would like to eat, when i was younger. I literally love veggies. Veggies and meat are really all a person needs, along with fruit, and this is what we were meant to just eat. Onions, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, and many more i could name, I now enjoy eating. I believe it's just the fact of knowing that if you are eating something healthy and good for you, It is 'good' and tastes good. All of my meals consist of a type of meat with a couple kinds of veggies. For example, you could do a stir-fry of chicken with broccoli and carrots, and diced onions. Make sure you add seasoning! Making your own healthy food honestly becomes a great hobby, and i love to eat now, as where before i would eat whatever just because i could and cause i was hungry and my mom would make it for me. So i guarantee you will slowly be accustomed to this lifestyle/diet (:

Jim Bean liked
MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 11/02/2014 11:39 pm

Overfl00d: After reading responses to ATG's post I think my son's acne is definitely hormonal...duh, he's a teen lol. Classic T zone presentation...since dairy can affect hormone levels, the way he breaks out makes even more sense. I take purified fish oil daily...would this be a good EFA source? I'll look into the zinc supp.

Thanks! (:

Fish oil is a good source of EFA's. However, make sure it's from a reputable source. You can be pretty much be sure that any from super stores like Walmart are toxic. Carlson's for example, is a good brand. =)

@debra - hope your son gets rid of his acne soon

Yes, it is highly recommended you eliminate processed foods from your diet. Stick to minimally, or even better, zero processed foods. It's ok to blend in some fruits with your greens, but as you get more advanced, you should keep the fruits to vegetable ratio low. Good luck!

Ha, I can't take multivitamins etc, I'm a money-less teenager. It's a shame that everything is toxic and we need to get what we need from supplements and organic expensive foods. It's worth it, yes, but I wish it could be simpler so I would have a chance in this.

Yes it sucks that we have to supplement, but the way food is grown in this age just makes it impossible to get the nutrients our cells need. I empathize with your money-less situation. Try to get a job ASAP and mow lawns meanwhile! =)

MemberMember
(@naturald)

Posted : 11/04/2014 8:35 am

Can you consume dairy products as this causes problems for most people (they are full of hormones)?

MemberMember
(@twosteps)

Posted : 11/07/2014 5:09 pm

Isn't whey a derivative of milk?

Also, the whey you linked is like $50/pound seems pretty pricey.