Notifications
Clear all

Please Share Your Filler Experiences With Me 🙂

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/19/2014 3:55 pm

Hey guy's,

I'm hoping to get fillers in conjunction with subcision done soon. I just wanted to hear from anyone who's tried fillers in the past and what their improvement was like. I'm hoping to get Radiesse anyone have any experience with this particular one?

Thanks! :)

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 10/19/2014 8:47 pm

Don't get Radiesse for acne scars. It's not the right type of filler for this indication. It's way too viscous / hard to be used in the skin. Usually it is injected very deep just above the bone for augmenting areas of the face. It can get lumpy if injected in the skin itself. Juvederm Voluma is good to do the heavy lifting to fill deeper volume loss. You can use Belotero for more superficial scars because it is thinner. Stick to hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane, or Belotero. The difference between most of those is like Coke and Pepsi, meaning that your results are mostly dependent on the skill of the surgeon.

missamua liked
MemberMember
(@please-delete)

Posted : 10/21/2014 4:49 am

Hey guy's,

I'm hoping to get fillers in conjunction with subcision done soon. I just wanted to hear from anyone who's tried fillers in the past and what their improvement was like. I'm hoping to get Radiesse anyone have any experience with this particular one?

Please delete

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 10/23/2014 1:15 pm

Every time I have paid for fillers it has been a waste of money. I started off with restylane a long time ago and it didn't stick around long, maybe a week. Maybe my body chemistry just gets rid of it fast. Later, I tried perlane with a different injector, but same outcome. Of course they won't give your money back even though it doesn't last longer than a week, those are the risks they say. Later tried silicone, went up to three times, thought it was working, maybe it did a very little, but still unhappy. Later tried artefill, hated it. It looks lumpy. Eventually, within a few weeks it was gone. But I wonder if some of it moved around and caused a granuloma because later I did get cysts nearby. Same with silicone, I think it caused cysts. Won't do fillers again.

asd90090 liked
MemberMember
(@drk550)

Posted : 10/23/2014 5:25 pm

I had subcition and fillers couple of years ago. I would say results lasts longer only 2-3 months and after that I felt my scars were even depressed.

This what derm did to me, all in just 30 mins
1) He filled the scars with filler (restylane)
2) Did laser all over the face ( cool touch)
3) Did subcition
4) Again filled few scars fillers.

MemberMember
(@lughna)

Posted : 10/23/2014 8:25 pm

I've had both radiesse and juvederm voluma and have had great results. My radiesse practitioner was a wizard when it came to fillers, and having deep crater like holes and scars in my cheeks, she managed to plump them out nicely. Sadly, it doesn't last

I have recently had full ablative erbium yag lasering, stem cells and fat grafting. My profile pic says it all, lol. I actually went the full hog and had a facelift done too........as well as my eyes. I figured...........and it makes sense - fillers done by the right hand can give good results, but don't last very long. Over time, it is cheaper to have stem cells and fat transfer done, if you can find an expert in the field to carry this out correctly.

Saying that, radiesse can give nice results when administered by an expert and imho, last a lot longer than juvederm, but fat grafting is the best choice for a more lasting result.

Good luck!! x

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/25/2014 12:13 am

I've had both radiesse and juvederm voluma and have had great results. My radiesse practitioner was a wizard when it came to fillers, and having deep crater like holes and scars in my cheeks, she managed to plump them out nicely. Sadly, it doesn't last neutral.gif

I have recently had full ablative erbium yag lasering, stem cells and fat grafting. My profile pic says it all, lol. I actually went the full hog and had a facelift done too........as well as my eyes. I figured...........and it makes sense - fillers done by the right hand can give good results, but don't last very long. Over time, it is cheaper to have stem cells and fat transfer done, if you can find an expert in the field to carry this out correctly.

Saying that, radiesse can give nice results when administered by an expert and imho, last a lot longer than juvederm, but fat grafting is the best choice for a more lasting result.

Good luck!! x

How long did your Radiesse last? I'd be even happy with 6 months. I don't mind getting it done like twice a year. If you don't mind me asking what type of scars did you get filled? And when you say they plumped up, were they pretty much level with the surrounding skin? Hope your laser and fat grafting went well. Sounds like you had quite the work up done!

MemberMember
(@kensden)

Posted : 10/25/2014 4:09 am

hi pineapple i used to get fillers (restylane) and they would last for about 6 months,one deep scar on one cheek was easy to treat with filler and kinda ice pick rolling scars on the other cheek were a bit trickier but would still fill up and last for a while.the only thing is you can be left slightly wanting more because the dermatologist will only fill the obvious scars they can see under the fluorescent lights and not the less noticeable scars we notice under different lighting..

definitely worth a punt tho!!

MemberMember
(@lughna)

Posted : 10/25/2014 5:56 am

I've had both radiesse and juvederm voluma and have had great results. My radiesse practitioner was a wizard when it came to fillers, and having deep crater like holes and scars in my cheeks, she managed to plump them out nicely. Sadly, it doesn't last neutral.gif

Good luck!! x

How long did your Radiesse last? I'd be even happy with 6 months. I don't mind getting it done like twice a year. If you don't mind me asking what type of scars did you get filled? And when you say they plumped up, were they pretty much level with the surrounding skin? Hope your laser and fat grafting went well. Sounds like you had quite the work up done!

Radiesse lasts 12-18 months for me, but blahblah92 makes a valid point about it being a harsh filler. It is made with tiny bone fragments and is injected deeply along the cheekbone. I would not recommend having many or any individual scars injected with this.

I have chickenpox and acne scarring all over my cheeks, jawline and between eyes. Acne scars are box, rolling and ice-pick. After 38 years of putting various chemicals on my skin in the hope of making things better, my skin now resembles honeycomb or a sponge. It is full of holes, craters and pits

Now, what I found with radiesse is, it created like a scaffold over my cheekbones, which in turn, lifted the rest of my central facial skin.........if this makes sense? My injector was a wizard at doing this. Then she would inject Juvederm into the largest of craters and this would fill them out from the inside upwards. Because everything was then plumped up, it looked a whole lot better. Far from perfect, but better. But I presume your scars are no way near as drastic as mine, so this may work well for you. Have you tried Dermaroller? If your scars aren't so bad, you would probably get great results.

If you go ahead with fillers, please make sure you have a reputable injector, such as a doctor or surgeon with an excellent reputation.

Thanks for your kind words too. x

Am going through a major transformation right now, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Good luck with the fillers and subcision hun!!

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 10/25/2014 10:03 am

LUngha, great post.

When acne scarring involves fat loss, the actual indentations can actually overlap with sunken areas of the cheeks due to repeated inflammation and destruction of the fat layer. This was my problem. Not only did I have indentations, I also had fat loss because my cystic acne keep returning in the same spots. As you can imagine, after being damaged repeatedly the whole area looks like it lost volume.

Personally I feel Radiesse is a bit outdated, since Voluma can be injected deeply to add fullness and volume back to the cheek area. A thinner filler like regular Juvederm or Belotero can be used to fill the actual indentations themselves. Radiesse sets very hard, and very prone to lumps and bumps if injected superficially in the skin. It is always nearly injected below the skin, in the subcutaneous fat, to prop up a sagging face. Think of it more like an injectable implant, than an actual filler.

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 10/25/2014 11:56 am

i had restylane and i think it helped create new collegen. although the effects lasted 6+months. it did help in the long run.

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/26/2014 10:55 pm

Okay Radiesse is out of the picture. I was hoping for it because it's one of the longer lasting ones. I'm attaching a few pics let me know if you guys think fillers will help these scars. Were yours similar to mine? Excuse my messy hair!

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:11 pm

@Blahblah I will ask my Dermatologist about Juvaderm Voluma. Thanks so much for the info about Radiesse. I had no idea about the bumps and lumps it can create I was just happy to hear that it lasts a bit longer.

My appointment with my derm is coming up next week so I will ask him if my scars are suited for subcision and filler. Hopefully he will say yes and make my day. I'm still stuck with two more sessions of the infini treatments which I truly don't have much hope for. I just wish I hadn't pre-paid for that stupid package deal because I could possibly have been getting subcision and filler done next week rather then what looks like January. During my initial consultation with him I had asked him about subcision and he had told me that he could maybe do it on a few of mine but because my scarring is so close together it would be difficult to do it on all. He said it's easier to perform on isolated scaring which mine is not :( He did say majority of my scarring is rolling but i'm wondering if I do have a few boxcars will filler help?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:50 pm

Actually, Voluma should last as long or even longer than Radiesse with out all the downsides. Allergan, the maker of Voluma, states that it can last "up to 18 months." I think the reality is that it is probably not quite as long as 18 months, but even if it only lasts 12 months, that's a significant amount of time.

Voluma is hyaluronic acid just like Restylane, regular Juvederm, and Belotero. They are all hyaluronic acids. The only thing that makes them different is how hard / thick they are and that they are made by different companies. In descending order from thickest to thinnest consistency its Voluma > Restylane > Juvederm > Belotero.

I would think that subcisions and filler would work in your case because it's mostly rolling scars with volume loss. If you injected the hollow part of your cheek, it would reestablish that curve to your cheek so that it doesn't cause as much shadowing. It would take an in person consultation to know if they tethered or not. If they're bound down, you'd probably need a few subcisions and maybe suction to prevent the scars from reattaching. Or you may be lucky and they are not tethered and you can fill it directly.

The one key thing, is that it really comes down to the skill of the injector. Most I've encountered just plain suck at injecting scars. They're used to injecting cheeks and lines / wrinkles, not acne scars. It is really critical to use severe angled lighting to really highlight those scars. Also, show them pictures in bad lighting and do not be shy about pointing out exactly which scars bother you the most. Almost every time I've read about someone being disappointed with fillers, it's because they assumed the doctor could see the scars and know where to inject.

To be fair, it takes tremendous skill to really fill scars correctly so that they are not undercorrected, overcorrected and cause lumps, or inject next to instead of in the scar.

THEY DON'T SEE YOUR SCARS THE WAY YOU DO. SPEAK UP. Also, one must always have realistic expectations. It may take a couple of sessions because there is quite a bit of swelling which would make it hard to see every scar. Once you start injecting the skin starts to swell immediately so it becomes increasingly harder to see your true baseline. Do one session, let the swelling go down, reassess, and then decide if you need to fine tune.

And yes packages are almost always a money making ploy.

MemberMember
(@bloodwar44)

Posted : 10/27/2014 12:47 pm

Good luck!! x

Radiesse lasts 12-18 months for me, but blahblah92 makes a valid point about it being a harsh filler. It is made with tiny bone fragments and is injected deeply along the cheekbone. I would not recommend having many or any individual scars injected with this.

I have chickenpox and acne scarring all over my cheeks, jawline and between eyes. Acne scars are box, rolling and ice-pick. After 38 years of putting various chemicals on my skin in the hope of making things better, my skin now resembles honeycomb or a sponge. It is full of holes, craters and pits

Now, what I found with radiesse is, it created like a scaffold over my cheekbones, which in turn, lifted the rest of my central facial skin.........if this makes sense? My injector was a wizard at doing this. Then she would inject Juvederm into the largest of craters and this would fill them out from the inside upwards. Because everything was then plumped up, it looked a whole lot better. Far from perfect, but better. But I presume your scars are no way near as drastic as mine, so this may work well for you. Have you tried Dermaroller? If your scars aren't so bad, you would probably get great results.

If you go ahead with fillers, please make sure you have a reputable injector, such as a doctor or surgeon with an excellent reputation.

Am going through a major transformation right now, but hopefully it will be worth it.

how did the the stem cells go?

MemberMember
(@lughna)

Posted : 10/27/2014 1:04 pm

Good luck!! x

I't early days bloodwar. It will take a number of months before I start to see the full results, but am happy so far. Will keep you posted.

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 10/27/2014 4:18 pm

Actually, Voluma should last as long or even longer than Radiesse with out all the downsides. Allergan, the maker of Voluma, states that it can last "up to 18 months." I think the reality is that it is probably not quite as long as 18 months, but even if it only lasts 12 months, that's a significant amount of time.

Voluma is hyaluronic acid just like Restylane, regular Juvederm, and Belotero. They are all hyaluronic acids. The only thing that makes them different is how hard / thick they are and that they are made by different companies. In descending order from thickest to thinnest consistency its Voluma > Restylane > Juvederm > Belotero.

I would think that subcisions and filler would work in your case because it's mostly rolling scars with volume loss. If you injected the hollow part of your cheek, it would reestablish that curve to your cheek so that it doesn't cause as much shadowing. It would take an in person consultation to know if they tethered or not. If they're bound down, you'd probably need a few subcisions and maybe suction to prevent the scars from reattaching. Or you may be lucky and they are not tethered and you can fill it directly.

The one key thing, is that it really comes down to the skill of the injector. Most I've encountered just plain suck at injecting scars. They're used to injecting cheeks and lines / wrinkles, not acne scars. It is really critical to use severe angled lighting to really highlight those scars. Also, show them pictures in bad lighting and do not be shy about pointing out exactly which scars bother you the most. Almost every time I've read about someone being disappointed with fillers, it's because they assumed the doctor could see the scars and know where to inject.

To be fair, it takes tremendous skill to really fill scars correctly so that they are not undercorrected, overcorrected and cause lumps, or inject next to instead of in the scar.

THEY DON'T SEE YOUR SCARS THE WAY YOU DO. SPEAK UP. Also, one must always have realistic expectations. It may take a couple of sessions because there is quite a bit of swelling which would make it hard to see every scar. Once you start injecting the skin starts to swell immediately so it becomes increasingly harder to see your true baseline. Do one session, let the swelling go down, reassess, and then decide if you need to fine tune.

And yes packages are almost always a money making ploy.

Thanks so much for your informative response. I know I can always count on you Blahblah :) I'm going to request the voluma cause it sounds pretty good and thick. When I pull my cheek taught all my scars dissappear except for maybe 2 or 3. I'm hoping that'll mean less subcision. I always feel rude when I try to tell the dermatologist about lighting etc because I feel like he must think I'm telling him how to do his job. I hope he uses indirect lighting.

I called another derm today who also does filler just to see if she does subcision as well and I was shocked to find out that she charges $500.00 JUST for a consult!!!!

MemberMember
(@bloodwar44)

Posted : 10/27/2014 5:00 pm

Good luck!! x

I't early days bloodwar. It will take a number of months before I start to see the full results, but am happy so far. Will keep you posted.

How are the chickenpox scars in particular? besides filling in, does it look like normal skin?

MemberMember
(@lughna)

Posted : 10/27/2014 5:42 pm

Good luck!! x

How are the chickenpox scars in particular? besides filling in, does it look like normal skin?

If this question is for me bloodwar.....................message me with your email and I will send you before and after pics if you are interested. My skin has looked like a sponge/honeycomb/malteser, for years. When I hit 50, I was so naffed off that I decided to do something drastic to change it. Hence the LED in my other posts etc...............and once clear, I went for the laser and fat grafting. The difference is outstanding, but I will never have perfect skin and will have to accept and live with that.

MemberMember
(@anonuser)

Posted : 10/27/2014 9:04 pm

It's not just thickness that differs - the depth of injection differs a lot as well. From what I've read voluma is a good filler, but needs to be injected too deep and doesn't have a huge effect on acne scarring at that depth. There are doctors who do it at more superficial depths, but that's considered "off label" use and there are some risks involved.

You need to do a variety of fillers or a mix of them in one vial IMO depending on the type of scarring one has.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 10/27/2014 11:47 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't think they should mix different fillers in one vial though. I think they would layer them.

What I meant was that Voluma is used deeply to rebuild the contours, of a cheek that has fat loss from cystic acne for example, and a thinner filler to fill in the superficial indentations.

As for off label uses of filler, most fillers are technically used off label anyway. For example Restylane is approved specifically for laugh lines, but it is used off label all over the face by doctors. As for risks with Voluma, the only real risk is lumpiness if injected too superficially because of it's thickness. The depth of injection is different precisely because of the thickness of the fillers. The thicker they are, the deeper they must be injected. Hence that's why I made the point to show the order of decreasing thickness of commercially available dermal fillers.

It's not just thickness that differs - the depth of injection differs a lot as well. From what I've read voluma is a good filler, but needs to be injected too deep and doesn't have a huge effect on acne scarring at that depth. There are doctors who do it at more superficial depths, but that's considered "off label" use and there are some risks involved.

You need to do a variety of fillers or a mix of them in one vial IMO depending on the type of scarring one has.