Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Got Rid Of 'orange Peel Texture' Skin / Large Pores?

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 10/19/2014 10:12 am

As the title suggest I have a face full of obvious large pores which all connect making it look like I have the texture of an orange. So far I have tried derma rolling, about 4 sessions over a year with no improvements at all. I don't use chemicals on my face, only natural moisturiser. I have researched constantly for over a year but I am so overwhelmed with information that I just don't know what to try next. I am booked in for a consultation with a skin clinic on tues but am apprehensive as I'm sure they will recommend peels, lasers etc but I'm so scared to try anything that will make my skin worse :/. Advice?

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/19/2014 12:47 pm

Very good question! This topic interests me as well. I always had bigger pores, but Retin-A made it just crazy big and my whole face is like an orange peel and soo shiny... maybe it is some kind of a burn?? But how to fix this???

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/19/2014 11:14 pm

This guy claims, he got rid of his orange peel skin with a DML lotion :

Anyone else has an experience with it?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/20/2014 2:52 pm

The only way (I think) to decrease the size of pores is to exfoliate (incase of sebaceous filaments giving the illusion of enlarged pores) or thickening the dermis, by using a 0.5mm roller 3 times a week + Retin-A daily (with sunscreen EVERY day. Even overcast days. Can't stress that enough)

Nope

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 10/20/2014 5:49 pm

Very good question! This topic interests me as well. I always had bigger pores, but Retin-A made it just crazy big and my whole face is like an orange peel and soo shiny... maybe it is some kind of a burn?? But how to fix this???

My face isn't shiny. One girl on another forum used honey and emu oil to get rid of hers and it worked but hasn't for me

me

This guy claims, he got rid of his orange peel skin with a DML lotion :

Anyone else has an experience with it?

Thanks!

I read that one but there seem to be lots of DML cream so idk which one I would use?

The only way (I think) to decrease the size of pores is to exfoliate (incase of sebaceous filaments giving the illusion of enlarged pores) or thickening the dermis, by using a 0.5mm roller 3 times a week + Retin-A daily (with sunscreen EVERY day. Even overcast days. Can't stress that enough)

Nope

There's conflicting advice on this type of skin, some say to exfoliate and some say definitely not, same with derma rolling, conflicting advice on how how often to roll. My brain is overloaded!

MemberMember
(@liberte)

Posted : 10/22/2014 9:09 am

I wouldn't exfoliate... According to my research the orange peel with a weird texture is usually an effect of some kind of a damage to the skin. Many people, who had lasers, peels, used retinoids or harsh chemicals to treat their skin report this kind of a problem.

I am quite disappointed, that you were not successful with the dermaroller, Nicky :( I gave a lot of hope in it...

What is weird, that one side of my skin has much worse texture than the other one. That's the side I've had acne on. ( I used the Retin-A and AHA/BHA on it)

Nope. - I wouldn't risk the Retin-A. I've heard a lot of horror stories (unfortunatelly AFTER I experienced my own )

Has anyone tried CeraVe lotion? Many people claim, that it makes the stratum corneum (the upper layer of the skin) thicker.

MemberMember
(@johnnytoledo)

Posted : 10/23/2014 1:05 am

I was having this problem after 11 years of Tazorac .1% gel (the strongest retinoid, at the strongest dosage, in the harshest delivery method (gel)). I have been using emu oil every night for 2 weeks and I've noticed a noticeable improvement. Also, I believe that the appearance of your large pores have much to do with your overactive sebaceous glands. You want to reduce the amount of oil your face is producing, but at the same time be very gentle on your skin as to not inflame it any further. I did some research and found sulfur to be successful at reducing rosacea and face oil, and its not too harsh. So, I got prescribed Prascion (or generic Sulfur/sodium sulfacetamide wash) from my dermatologist and its done a fantastic job at reducing my sebum and pore size. I would give it a shot. Here is my current regimine.

Morning:

wash gently with Cetaphil

use kelo-cote on cheeks and nose

Night:

wash with sulfur wash for 10 seconds

apply kelo-cote to nose/cheeks

Apply emu oil to entire face

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 10/23/2014 11:11 am

I wouldn't exfoliate... According to my research the orange peel with a weird texture is usually an effect of some kind of a damage to the skin. Many people, who had lasers, peels, used retinoids or harsh chemicals to treat their skin report this kind of a problem.

I am quite disappointed, that you were not successful with the dermaroller, Nicky :( I gave a lot of hope in it...

I'm gonna keep on with the derma rolling but only using a 0.5mm which I used the first 3 times but after using a 1.5mm some pores seem to have scarred.

What is weird, that one side of my skin has much worse texture than the other one. That's the side I've had acne on. ( I used the Retin-A and AHA/BHA on it)

Nope. - I wouldn't risk the Retin-A. I've heard a lot of horror stories (unfortunatelly AFTER I experienced my own cry.gif)

Has anyone tried CeraVe lotion? Many people claim, that it makes the stratum corneum (the upper layer of the skin) thicker.

I was having this problem after 11 years of Tazorac .1% gel (the strongest retinoid, at the strongest dosage, in the harshest delivery method (gel)). I have been using emu oil every night for 2 weeks and I've noticed a noticeable improvement. Also, I believe that the appearance of your large pores have much to do with your overactive sebaceous glands. You want to reduce the amount of oil your face is producing, but at the same time be very gentle on your skin as to not inflame it any further. I did some research and found sulfur to be successful at reducing rosacea and face oil, and its not too harsh. So, I got prescribed Prascion (or generic Sulfur/sodium sulfacetamide wash) from my dermatologist and its done a fantastic job at reducing my sebum and pore size. I would give it a shot. Here is my current regimine.

Morning:

wash gently with Cetaphil

use kelo-cote on cheeks and nose

Night:

wash with sulfur wash for 10 seconds

apply kelo-cote to nose/cheeks

Apply emu oil to entire face

Thanks I'll give that a go

Sorry I replied within the quote, can't see what I'm doing on this phone lol

MemberMember
(@johnnytoledo)

Posted : 10/23/2014 7:20 pm

Good luck! Please let us know the results. Are you going to try and get the prescription sulfur face-wash or get a store bought brand? P.S. I would honestly hold off on the peels. If you inflame your skin further it may do permanent damage and you don't want that! But I'm no expert, so maybe one of the senior members may wanna chime in on that claim however.

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 10/24/2014 5:13 pm

Prob buy it myself, my dr doesn't want to know and says there's nothing wrong with my skin :/

I was suggested obagi but it's a long process, expensive and not guaranteed to work. Peels I will definitely not be doing.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/24/2014 9:15 pm

bha 2% will reduce the pore size but you need to look for the right product with right ph

MemberMember
(@jmd1568)

Posted : 12/11/2014 8:50 am

any luck?

Jenjen84 liked
MemberMember
(@angelique1)

Posted : 12/17/2014 12:26 am

What's helping? Thank you!

MemberMember
(@nicky30)

Posted : 12/17/2014 7:18 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't done anything as such as I'm just scared to use anything on my skin. But I have just bought an msm cream so will start using that plus will do a dermaroll session next week (.25mm). Will keep you updated

MemberMember
(@jmd1568)

Posted : 12/30/2014 3:16 pm

I am pretty convinced taking retin-a caused this for me. I keep getting more and more open pores and not really any better results. I think im going to go back on low dose accutane. I have mega oily skin and perpetually clogged pores which I think may be contributing to the scarring. My first bout with accutane made my skin amazing and im confident it will at least help the issue from Retin-a that I am experiencing now, by reducing my oily skin if nothing else.

Liberte liked
MemberMember
(@xeena)

Posted : 03/01/2015 6:45 am

Hi,

I have got this problem too... It came after a very bad yeast infection "Pityrosorum folliculitis" my whole face was covered with spots... after the antifungal treatment the spots went away leaving this horrible effect... my dermatologist suggested a week-end pulse Accutane treatment... 20mg pill Saturday and Sunday... I am thinking the dose it too low but he said that it is enough... I doubt!

jmd1568 have you tried Accutane? is it working? I also have some acne and oily skin but the orange peel looking skin is new... my skin was fine before the yeast infection...

MemberMember
(@jmd1568)

Posted : 03/13/2015 7:35 am

Xeen,a

I have actually taken accutane 2x in the past and my skin was amazing after. 7 years later I had some big pimples form and tried retin A and it wrecked my face. I would say get off it immediately honestly but everybody is different so I don't want to tell you what to do.

Even more coincidentally I started back on Accutane in January so I am 2 months in. My face looks so much better haha. Dry? Yea sure but all of my pores are noticeably smaller and still shrinking. My nose and my cheeks look smoother every day. The big patches of scarred pores look better and almost seem like they are filling in. Accutane is the only thing that has ever worked for me in the past and I doubt I am going to deviate from that again.

MemberMember
(@freddyfoofoo)

Posted : 09/15/2015 7:13 am

Hi there I know this is late , iv just joined this jmd1568 have you finished your accutane course ? Im starting mine on Monday for clogged pores which suddenly appeared all over my cheeks , when I do my make up it looks like this horrible orange peel texture and nothing will fill in the holes and make it smooth again ! Has accutane got rid of this ? Im nervous about starting it incase it makes matters worse

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 09/15/2015 1:46 pm

Inflammation often makes pore appear larger, whether it's from retin-a, bp, certain scar treatments etc. It often happens when you first start using retin-a ,for example, and don't give your skin time to adjust. My skin was red, flaky and inflamed with large pores until my skin adjusted to it. There are also skin conditions like rosacea that can cause orange peel like textured skin.

Mr TTT liked
MemberMember
(@freddyfoofoo)

Posted : 09/15/2015 2:00 pm

Thank you for your reply , I haven't used anything on my face apart from differin, around 6 months ago to freshen up my skin which caused a massive burn , I don't know if it's from this or not but it's got worse and worse , looks terrible some days more than others , I have a massive vitamin d deficiancy , I don't know if that's the cause , will accutane help this ?

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 09/15/2015 4:02 pm

If it happened around the time you burned your skin it's probably related to that. Did the burn leave a scar or something or has it just been persistently red since then? I don't think vitamin D deficiency has anything to do with although that can cause a host of other issues so it's important you get your levels up ASAP.

MemberMember
(@freddyfoofoo)

Posted : 09/16/2015 3:25 am

No there's no scar and my face isn't red at all , just extremely bumpy , I saw my dermatologist and he said they were open comedones and to treat with accutane as im very oil but I'm just so confused as to why it has happened , iv seen people with open pores and mind are just so deep and created a liney skin effect , so I'm very confused as to what has caused this

MemberMember
(@jmd1568)

Posted : 12/01/2015 11:35 am

so i finished accutane (kind of). This dumbass doctor bumped me to 40mg per day for just like clogged pores and it inflamed the crap out of my skin. I could literally feel the heat coming off of my face towards the end before i hopped off. When it was just 20 my skin was looking good. He was fired i believe or at least "was no longer with the firm". Anyway the new girl and i agreed to get off of it because it was clear my face was irritated.

I think accutane may have induced some sort of rosacea, or at least kick started it because i struggled with flushing/redness/burning and even spontaneous little scarring. Emotional stress made everything so much worse, looking in the mirror at my pores and marks caused stress which made my face red and flushed which caused my face to look worse, just a bad chain.

Although i have a few scars here and there from retin A (and then exacerbated by accutane) my real trouble comes from the look of my pores. I started using the demodex cream 1x a day (at night) back in Mid september and I have noticed a difference in a few things:

1.) Less flushing overall, obsessing over my face or getting myself all revv'd up will still cause flushing and redness but my skin tone is more normal.

2.) Soooo much less oil. I used to get this tingly itchy feeling all over my face throughout the day, like almost small bugs were crawling over my face/brows. That and the pores and the flushing is what led me to suspect demodex. That itchy feeling is mostly gone now, I can get through the work day without wanting to rip my face off in an itching frenzy.

3.) Slight improvement in pore size/visibility, especially on nose.

4.) Before i could pretty much watch these spontaneous scars begin to form, and then settle into small scratch scars etc. Now I can't guarantee that it has improved but it has definitely slowed by a lot and perhaps stopped. I used to take pictures of my face alot when things were badto see if i looked better day by day (in snapchat), like zoomed in pictures of my pores. Now when i take pictures from the same exact angle it is pretty clear my face looks some level of better. I'm not content but I will continue the demodex.

Summary: Accutane didnt help that much but my derm was a d bag idiot. I wouldn't use retin A and if you do be very careful, I wasn't as careful as i needed to. Been less than 6 months since i finished tane so im gonna wait at least another 6 before i try needling or anything major.

MemberMember
(@purplestove)

Posted : 12/06/2015 3:56 pm

This is the first I've heard of retin-a causing that orange peel look. I've had this issue awhile, but I think it was just the way my acne healed (i guess I'm lucky I just have the pores and shallow scarring as opposed to deep ones). I only started using retin-a within the past year, but I think it's helped my skin look lessoily and hasn't increased my pores.

MemberMember
(@orangepeel)

Posted : 01/21/2016 3:53 pm

Any updates?