Notifications
Clear all

What To Try Next?

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 10/18/2014 11:26 pm

Hello. I am a new user.

So ive had acne since i was 12(im 14 now) and i now have it under control with BP/Salicylic acid. But the one thing that really bothers me is the scars that it leaves behind. I think they are hyperpigmentation because they are dark spots and are not indents. They are all over my hairline.

For the past 2 months, I have been using a combination of neutrogena rapid dark spot corrector and loreal youth code dark spot serum but there is barely any improvement. I put on the loreal at night and the neurogena during the day.

The thing that really sucks is when I wake up in the morning and I am convinced that my scars are gone but after taking a shower, the scars come back. I think the loreal covers them up but doesnt get rid of them.

The scars really lower my self esteem and I really want to get rid of them. My parents probably wont let me get microderm stuff so I was wondering if there is any cream or serum that works effectively? I do understand that it takes time for them to go away but after 2 months i notice no difference.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 10/21/2014 9:12 pm

Anyone? Please help!

MemberMember
(@desperatesweetdee)

Posted : 10/22/2014 12:33 pm

I wish I could tell you a way to do it without the risk of causing further damage to your skin, but i can't. Stay out of the sun, maybe try some light glycolic peels at the dermatologist's office. I would not recommend any lasers or deep peels whatsoever, as I began my descent into bad skin when I was trying to erase my dark marks and ended up getting actual acne scars as a result of laser treatment and Tca peels. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 10/24/2014 11:26 pm

Are the two products that Im using good or bad? What other OTC products might work?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/25/2014 10:45 am

Are you wearing a high SPF sunscreen EVERY day? If not, start with that. The skin produces melanin on exposure to sunlight, hypermigmentation is just an increase in melanin in a particular spot, without protection they're stubborn as heck.

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 10/25/2014 12:21 pm

I dont wear sunscreen now because its almost winter and its mostly cloudy.

So does the SPF sunscreen help get rid of scars? What does it do?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/25/2014 7:45 pm

I dont wear sunscreen now because its almost winter and its mostly cloudy.

So does the SPF sunscreen help get rid of scars? What does it do?

Wear it in the winter, wear it when its overcast. There is still sunlight, and your skin is still producing melanin on exposure to it.

the sunscreen reflects UV, your skin doesnt product melanin on exposure because it's covered. Your marks fade quicker than they otherwise would. It will still take a while. To speed it up futher speed up skincell turnover with A ret, glycolic, blah blah blah.

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 10/25/2014 9:07 pm

What specific products have A ret etc. in them that you recommend?

Also what SPF number is good for face?

Thanks for advice

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/26/2014 12:41 am

What specific products have A ret etc. in them that you recommend?

Also what SPF number is good for face?

Thanks for advice

You should always use a sunscreen on your face whether or not its cloudy or sunny. Id recommend a oil free, non-comedogenic sunscreen which you could probably find in the local grocery (some are even moisturizers with spf in it). spf 15 is ideal, spf 30 is recommended.

MemberMember
(@420blazeitfgt)

Posted : 10/26/2014 1:43 am

If your marks are red then they are not hyperpigmentation and wearing sunscreen wont do anything. If they are brown then ya, you should wear sunscreen

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/26/2014 7:21 am

If your marks are red then they are not hyperpigmentation and wearing sunscreen wont do anything. If they are brown then ya, you should wear sunscreen

Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation can be pink/red or darker on caucasian skin.

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 10/26/2014 7:57 am

So would a moisturizer by neutrogena with SPF 30 work?

Also, what products with retinol are good? Would loreal youth code dark spot serum or neutrogena rapid dark spot corrector be good?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/26/2014 8:26 am

So would a moisturizer by neutrogena with SPF 30 work?

Also, what products with retinol are good? Would loreal youth code dark spot serum or neutrogena rapid dark spot corrector be good?

Yeah that'll be fine. Just make sure to reapply it every few hours because it degrades on exposure.

When it comes to topical retinoids you're going to want to get your hands on Retin-A, Generic name "Tretinoin", you'll have to get your GP to prescribe you that, or acquire it from online pharmacies based abroad. Over the counter retinols aren't very strong in comparison, yet seem to cost more than a single tube of 0.1% tretinoin

For reference, 1 20gm tube of 0.1% A Ret costs me $4.54, vs Amazon prices of $17.97 and $19.28 of the products you're asking about.

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 10/26/2014 10:49 am

I was reading another thread and it said that ret a destroys your skin. Is this true?

Also, Im inside school most of the day so I dont think that I need to reapply the moisturizer.

Also, why do the two products that i mentioned dont work?

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 10/26/2014 11:03 am

I was reading another thread and it said that ret a destroys your skin. Is this true?

Also, Im inside school most of the day so I dont think that I need to reapply the moisturizer.

Also, why do the two products that i mentioned dont work?

No thats bull. Some people have a sensitivity to it, and because of that they should work their way up slowly.

A general rule is, if the products are available over the counter without prescription, the concentration of any actives in them is likely not strong enough to have a noteworthy effect.

MemberMember
(@420blazeitfgt)

Posted : 11/02/2014 12:56 am

Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation can be pink/red or darker on caucasian skin.

Uhhh no it cant. What youre talking about is erythema. Since when does the human body produce melanin that is red in colour? It doesn't.

MemberMember
(@hopelessboy)

Posted : 11/03/2014 8:24 pm

So I started using Neutrogena oil free moisturizer with spf 35 and Im not quite sure if its right for me. The day I put it on, 4 pimples, unerupted appeared on my forehead. It this an initial side affect as my skin get used to this or does it cause breakouts?