Notifications
Clear all

How Long To Notice A Difference?

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 10/15/2014 9:53 am

Hey guys not being having much luck with the acne recently so recently tried going gluten and dairy free.

Bit of background. My face usually pretty much stays acne free so thats not a problem. My main problem is my neck and my back. My back is covered in clogged pores and blackheads and the back of my neck, below the hairline is like a breeding ground for cysts. Years of trying to cure this has left my neck quite badly scarred so I'm really desperate now to find something that will work.

Anyway So I have been off gluten and dairy for 6 days now and not really sure that I have noticed much of a change. A couple of cysts on my neck are scabbing over so I'm guessing they are getting to heal but theres still one thats pretty inflamed but I put this down to being on the awkward part of my neck where if i move to sharply or turn my neck to quickly it will start to ooze again so keeps getting its healing stage interrupted.

So how long does it take to notice a difference? I have heard a week and also 6 months so I'm not really sure what to do? Do I give it up and try something else or do I need to stick it out for longer? Could something else be a factor?

How long did it take for you?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@paigers)

Posted : 10/15/2014 10:42 am

I'd say give it 3 weeks to a month. The process of keratinization takes around 2 weeks.

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 10/15/2014 11:26 am

I'd say give it 3 weeks to a month. The process of keratinization takes around 2 weeks.

Right okay cool. Sorry to seem un-educated but what is keratinization?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 10/15/2014 12:00 pm

Hi mate, i'd say try dairy free, that reduced acne for me a lot.

keratinisation is the process of the skin that it goes through, becoming hard and then at some point flaking off.

Do you think you are sensitive to gluten?

one thing i'd love to know and perhaps you would give it a try since you are doing the getting clear through diet changes, is to start upping your lineolic acid (omega 6 and 9) through hemp seed oil. Baisically what i have found out through research is that acne prone people have two fatty acids that become out of sync and it can cause acne..

olieic acid is higher than the level of linoleic acid. hemp seed oil contains omega 3 6 9 and is very high in linoleic acid. try taking a tablespoon a day in food (dont cook it) try drizzling it on salad. you can keep up the non-dairy but dont go gluten free for now.

When the skin has more olieic acid than linoleic acid the sebum it produces is stickier and hard, so it cant get out of the pore as easily to do its job i.e lubricate and protect the skin. so when you introduce more linoleic acid (topically or internally) preferably internally, the sebum is more smooth and silky.

your best bet is getting a blood test for the gluten stuff and continue chomping on breads and pasta.

what do you think?

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 10/15/2014 5:30 pm

keratinisation is the process of the skin that it goes through, becoming hard and then at some point flaking off.

one thing i'd love to know and perhaps you would give it a try since you are doing the getting clear through diet changes, is to start upping your lineolic acid (omega 6 and 9) through hemp seed oil. Baisically what i have found out through research is that acne prone people have two fatty acids that become out of sync and it can cause acne..

olieic acid is higher than the level of linoleic acid. hemp seed oil contains omega 3 6 9 and is very high in linoleic acid. try taking a tablespoon a day in food (dont cook it) try drizzling it on salad. you can keep up the non-dairy but dont go gluten free for now.

When the skin has more olieic acid than linoleic acid the sebum it produces is stickier and hard, so it cant get out of the pore as easily to do its job i.e lubricate and protect the skin. so when you introduce more linoleic acid (topically or internally) preferably internally, the sebum is more smooth and silky.

your best bet is getting a blood test for the gluten stuff and continue chomping on breads and pasta.

what do you think?

Thanks for the reply

I'm currently dairy free as well. I got rid of them both from my diet at the same time. Two birds one stone right?

I'm not really sure about what my skin is sensitive too to be honest. As my cysts are scabbing over is this likely to be the keratinisation stage you are talking about as my cysts have never scanned over before?

Never heard of the oleic acid before I might give that a shot. Are you not supposed to have it while not on gluten or something? I was considering fish oil tablets I don't know if that's the same sort of thing??

Well I'm going to stay off gluten and dairy for a month and see what the results are like then guess I will go from there.

Thanks for the help man much appreciated

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 10/15/2014 6:05 pm

what do you think?

Thanks for the reply

I'm currently dairy free as well. I got rid of them both from my diet at the same time. Two birds one stone right?

I'm not really sure about what my skin is sensitive too to be honest. As my cysts are scabbing over is this likely to be the keratinisation stage you are talking about as my cysts have never scanned over before?

Never heard of the oleic acid before I might give that a shot. Are you not supposed to have it while not on gluten or something? I was considering fish oil tablets I don't know if that's the same sort of thing??

Well I'm going to stay off gluten and dairy for a month and see what the results are like then guess I will go from there.

Thanks for the help man much appreciated

sure, I just found it too hard to cut gluten so got the blood work done, turns out i'm ok with it. I am however lactose intolerant.

scabbing over is just the bodies process of healing mate.

so fish oil is high in the omega 3, which typically is a source of oleic acid (which for acne = bad) you need omega 6 and 9 and a little 3. Pick up some omega 3 6 9 and give them a go. Hemp seed oil is very good source of 3 6 9 (linoleic acid = good for acne).

no probs

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 10/15/2014 8:09 pm

On 10/16/2014 at 5:05 AM, .JacktheLad. said:

so fish oil is high in the omega 3, which typically is a source of oleic acid (which for acne = bad) you need omega 6 and 9 and a little 3. Pick up some omega 3 6 9 and give them a go. Hemp seed oil is very good source of 3 6 9 (linoleic acid = good for acne).

Hey! I have to disagree with you there, Jackthelad. Oleic acid is an omega-9, not 3, and omega-3s are excellent for reducing inflammation throughout your body. That's why they are great for joint problems as well as acne. Western diets tend to be too high in omega-6s (from poultry, nuts, grains...) and lacking in omega-3s.

Here's a snip from the omega-6 Wikipedia page: "Modern Western diets typically have ratios of omega6 to omega3 in excess of 10 to 1, some as high as 30 to 1; the average ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 in the Western diet is 15/116.7/1.[3] Humans are thought to have evolved with a diet of a 1-to-1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 and the optimal ratio is thought to be 4 to 1 or lower,[3][12] and it is even better if there is more omega3 than omega6 (especially healthy ratio of omega6 to omega3 is from 1:1 to 1:4)."

So, we need all of the omegas, but we are already getting too much omega-6 in general. I think upping your omega-3 intake is a good addition to your diet changes. Here's a link to an article describing a study on the effect of omega-3 supplements on acne: [Removed] (Spoiler alert: they helped!) I get my omega-3s from sardines. If you can like them, they are awesome nutritionally. Full of omega-3 and B vitamins as well as protein.

OP, regarding your diet changes, it depends on how strict you are and a lot of other factors in your life. Stress is a huge factor in acne, and sometimes no amount of dieting can reign in stress acne. It took me two whole months to see noticeable changes in my acne when I started diet changes. I went with a no-dairy, low glycemic approach. Absolutely no sugar. (Except like one cookie a week, but only one! I swear.) I also upped my fruit and veggie intake to get more antioxidants and started taking zinc and milk thistle, two antioxidants scientifically proven to reduce acne. Drink lots of water and green tea, which also has science behind it for acne resolution.

If you are consistent and disciplined, it will improve your skin. The best part is that all of these changes are great for your health overall. I wish you the best!

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 10/16/2014 3:52 am

Intersting ham,

well all i have heard is that people who suffer with acne have too much Oleic acid and not enough Linoliec acid; and using hempseed oil or a good omega 3 6 and 9 is the best thing to do. It improves the quality of the sebum, in terms of is viscosity, where as Oleic acid is what gives the skin its elasticity.