Notifications
Clear all

Hannah's Accutane Journey

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/11/2014 2:33 pm

Hi everyone,

The name's Hannah. I'm 18 years old and live in England. Like most people here, I have suffered from acne for most of my adolescence. From the ages of 12-17 the acne was fairly manageable, and certainly nothing I was particularly concerned about. However, at the beginning of this year my skin suddenly erupted into huge, incredibly painful cysts. They took several weeks to disappear, and within a few days of one cyst disappearing another would appear to take it's place. Over the past few months, the cysts have (mostly) gone, but I am still plagued by incredibly stubborn acne. Long story short, after birth control, four different antibiotics and about three dozen topical lotions and potions, my dermatologist has decided to start me on Accutane. I am due to take that first red pill on Tuesday (14th October). I am excited, but also more than a little apprehensive of potential side effects. I have read some real horror stories on the internet. I have stocked up on lip balms and moisturiser!

I am 5'9" and weigh 60kg (9 stone 6), and my derm has started me off on 20mg a day, which I understand is a relatively low dose. Here's hoping that means my side effects won't be too horrific. I have heard that Accutane can make your cholesterol increase? My derm wasn't too concerned, as my cholesterol was WELL within normal range (3mmol/l), so even if it did rise it would need to rise by a significant amount to be out of normal range. Besides, I'm assuming that not everyone will experience this.

I hope to keep a (fairly) regular log of my Accutane journey. Hopefull some of you wise Accutane veterans will be able to give me some advice or guidance, or just a cyber shoulder to cry on if things get too much. (I'm DREADING having an initial breakout...)

Ugh. The nerves! The nerves! I am pretty excited too, though. It's been several years since I enjoyed completely clear, blemish free skin. Here's hoping that, in six months time, I'll be able to take pride in my complexion once more!

Thanks for reading! :D

Hannah

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/11/2014 2:53 pm

Hey Hannah! How is your skin right now? When I went to my dermatologist, my skin wasn't in too bad condition. I was lucky when all of my cysts decided to subsidize, so when I took accutane... I didn't really have an initial breakout? But who knows since today is only day 19 for me, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! I kind of had an initial breakout on my back though, they're painful especially when I lean on a chair or wear a tighter bra that lays on top of my acne.

Make sure you moisturize well!! I highly recommend CeraVe Moisturicing CREAM (the one in the tub) to use at night. It did wonders for my dry and flaky skin! Well.. I didn't really try any other moisturizers for nighttime other than the clinique lotion which I shoved to the side since it does nothing for my very dry skin at the moment! Get a body lotion as well, although I use the CeraVe cream on my body too! I think thats it for now, haha

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/11/2014 3:09 pm

Hey Hannah! How is your skin right now? When I went to my dermatologist, my skin wasn't in too bad condition. I was lucky when all of my cysts decided to subsidize, so when I took accutane... I didn't really have an initial breakout? But who knows since today is only day 19 for me, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! I kind of had an initial breakout on my back though, they're painful especially when I lean on a chair or wear a tighter bra that lays on top of my acne.

Make sure you moisturize well!! I highly recommend CeraVe Moisturicing CREAM (the one in the tub) to use at night. It did wonders for my dry and flaky skin! Well.. I didn't really try any other moisturizers for nighttime other than the clinique lotion which I shoved to the side since it does nothing for my very dry skin at the moment! Get a body lotion as well, although I use the CeraVe cream on my body too! I think thats it for now, haha smile.png

Hey skaims, thanks for the reply! :)

My skin actually isn't TOO bad right now. I have one cyst near my nose that is finally on it's way out (after two months...) and a patch of acne on my chin and forehead. Aside from that, it's fairly clear. So, not sure if my skin being fairly clear means I won't have an initial breakout? I guess it differs from person to person.

I, thankfully, don't get acne on my back or chest. Just my face.

My derm has been very nice and has actually prescribed me with two moisturisers to use on any dry patches: Dermol 500 lotion and Balneum Plus Cream. Never used them before, but my friend did whilst she was on 'tane and she speaks highly of them.

I've bought enough lip balms to supply an army... Lol

Thanks for the advice! :)

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/11/2014 4:19 pm

I've attached a couple of pictures. One was taken a couple of months ago, when I had two pretty nasty cysts, and the other two are my skin's condition as of today:

Not sure why two of them are sideways....

post-428566-0-94783400-1413062197.jpg

post-428566-0-47306800-1413062216.jpg

post-428566-0-56554100-1413062278.jpg

MemberMember
(@fevol)

Posted : 10/12/2014 4:29 am

Make sure you moisturize well!! I highly recommend CeraVe Moisturicing CREAM (the one in the tub) to use at night. It did wonders for my dry and flaky skin! Well.. I didn't really try any other moisturizers for nighttime other than the clinique lotion which I shoved to the side since it does nothing for my very dry skin at the moment! Get a body lotion as well, although I use the CeraVe cream on my body too! I think thats it for now, haha smile.png

Hey skaims, thanks for the reply!

My skin actually isn't TOO bad right now. I have one cyst near my nose that is finally on it's way out (after two months...) and a patch of acne on my chin and forehead. Aside from that, it's fairly clear. So, not sure if my skin being fairly clear means I won't have an initial breakout? I guess it differs from person to person.

My derm has been very nice and has actually prescribed me with two moisturisers to use on any dry patches: Dermol 500 lotion and Balneum Plus Cream. Never used them before, but my friend did whilst she was on 'tane and she speaks highly of them.

Thanks for the advice!

Dear All Member,

I am fevol, Now almost for accutance cycle on 6th weeks. I have small doubt, I am threading my eye brow in every 2 -3 weeks. Is there any problem if i keep containue on my accutane cycle.One more thing is there any kind of food to be avoid on this period of time.

Your advise will be highly appricated,

With Much Love

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/13/2014 8:49 am

DAY ONE:

Well, I decided to cave under the tension and worry and take my first pill a day early. I took it with breakfast at around 7:30 this morning. Not much to report so far. No side effects as of yet, but of course I didn't exactly expect there to be. I have already started applying lip balm and moisturiser, and have done for several days in order to try and combat the dry skin and lips that will undoubtedly appear. Not sure how much difference it'll actually make, but gimme points for trying?

Like I've said, I'm 18, 5'9" and weigh 60kg. I'm starting off on a relatively low dose, 20mg once a day. Hopefully that'll mean I won't get quite as many nasty side effects.

Well, that's all, folks! I'll update ya'll tomorrow.

Hey skaims, thanks for the reply! smile.png

Thanks for the advice! smile.png

Dear All Member,

I am fevol, Now almost for accutance cycle on 6th weeks. I have small doubt, I am threading my eye brow in every 2 -3 weeks. Is there any problem if i keep containue on my accutane cycle.One more thing is there any kind of food to be avoid on this period of time.

With Much Love rolleyes.gif

Hi fevol,

As far as I'm aware, it's perfectly fine to carry on threading your eyebrows whilst on Accutane. My derm said you MUST avoid waxing however. It'll be a very, VERY painful experience (well, it already is, but it'll be even more sore whilst your skin is so sensitive).

You don't have to change your diet to any significant degree, but my derm said to avoid foods high in Vitamin A, like liver and pate.

Good luck! :)

fevol liked
MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/13/2014 11:59 am

Hey Hannah! I'm on 40mg, and literally felt the dryness in my lips the next day. As for skin, it doesn't feel dry but looks dry but I think after around 10 days, I'm completely not oily anymore. As well, my dermatologist told me to take my accutane with the fattiest meal of the day! I usually take it with a spoonful of peanut butter around 6pm-8pm! I believe accutane gets absorbed better when you have fatty foods! You might not feel the dryness straight away but everyone is different : )

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/13/2014 12:23 pm

Hi skaims, thanks for reading and replying!

My skin is pretty much the same (in other words, OILY! -_-) as are my lips. However, I have noticed that in the past couple of hours I've started to develop a spot on the side of my nose.

Start of my IB? Maybe? I don't appear to have any other spots developing anywhere else. If it is the start of my IB I'm actually pretty happy. For one, it means that the stuff is working! Two, if I get my IB early that (hopefully) means that it'll clear up earlier.

My derm is pretty certain my acne is hereditary (both my mother and brother have had severe acne). But my oily skin doesn't help. I'm looking forward to not having to wash my hair as often. Usually, my hair is so oily I HAVE to wash it every day. My brother was on Accutane a couple of years back, and it worked great for him, with relatively few side effects. He got his IB early (within a few hours of taking his first pill).

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/13/2014 1:58 pm

Hi skaims, thanks for reading and replying!

My skin is pretty much the same (in other words, OILY! -_-) as are my lips. However, I have noticed that in the past couple of hours I've started to develop a spot on the side of my nose.

Start of my IB? Maybe? I don't appear to have any other spots developing anywhere else. If it is the start of my IB I'm actually pretty happy. For one, it means that the stuff is working! Two, if I get my IB early that (hopefully) means that it'll clear up earlier.

My derm is pretty certain my acne is hereditary (both my mother and brother have had severe acne). But my oily skin doesn't help. I'm looking forward to not having to wash my hair as often. Usually, my hair is so oily I HAVE to wash it every day. My brother was on Accutane a couple of years back, and it worked great for him, with relatively few side effects. He got his IB early (within a few hours of taking his first pill).

Thats incredible for the initial breakout! So fast! I noticed that my skin & hair stopped being oily around the 14th day mark! Before accutane, I tried to washed my hair every other day (because it is dyed) & had to use dry shampoo to keep the oil at bay. I haven't washed my hair since Friday and my hair is actually still really clean feeling. I'm trying not to wash it until Wednesday, or maybe even friday again. Hehe

My acne is hereditary as well, from my dad's side. My mom hasn't had a single spot in years! -__- but my brother and I all have pretty persistent, intense acne... although it seems as if I'm the only one who gets cystic acne. From being super oily, I believe that the oil has created some congested pores in my face. I can see them when I stretch out my skin, but since my skin is more dry now, I'm hopping that it'll go away!

Hoping your skin clears up fast

MemberMember
(@fevol)

Posted : 10/14/2014 12:32 am

DAY ONE:

Well, I decided to cave under the tension and worry and take my first pill a day early. I took it with breakfast at around 7:30 this morning. Not much to report so far. No side effects as of yet, but of course I didn't exactly expect there to be. I have already started applying lip balm and moisturiser, and have done for several days in order to try and combat the dry skin and lips that will undoubtedly appear. Not sure how much difference it'll actually make, but gimme points for trying?

Like I've said, I'm 18, 5'9" and weigh 60kg. I'm starting off on a relatively low dose, 20mg once a day. Hopefully that'll mean I won't get quite as many nasty side effects.

Well, that's all, folks! I'll update ya'll tomorrow.

Hey skaims, thanks for the reply! smile.png

Thanks for the advice! smile.png

Dear All Member,

With Much Love rolleyes.gif

Hi fevol,

As far as I'm aware, it's perfectly fine to carry on threading your eyebrows whilst on Accutane. My derm said you MUST avoid waxing however. It'll be a very, VERY painful experience (well, it already is, but it'll be even more sore whilst your skin is so sensitive).

You don't have to change your diet to any significant degree, but my derm said to avoid foods high in Vitamin A, like liver and pate.

Good luck!

Dear HannahL96.,

Thank you so much for your kind reply, One more thing did you feel any changes on your eye. As me its kind of drying and have little pain sometimes. Can u advise on dry eye coz if its part of it i have to find some drop or something.

Fevol.

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/14/2014 7:36 am

DAY TWO:

Well, not much to report today, either. Took my second pill with breakfast this morning.

Yep, I'm DEFINITELY getting a spot on the side of my nose. Not sure wether the Accutane brought it out, or I was going to get it anyway, but it's there. Plus, my nose seems unusually oily. It gets pretty oily anyway, but today it's like an oil slick. Ugh. Skin is the same otherwise. No noticeable dryness.

I did develop a slight headache yesterday evening. I don't know wether the Accutane caused it though, since I'm suffering from a pretty nasty cough/cold at the minute, AND I get headaches pretty often anyways (I'm on medication for migraines). Not too concerned though, as the headache has now gone.

Not much else to report, folks. See ya tomorrow!

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/20/2014 8:47 am

DAY EIGHT:

Wow, eight days already? Can't believe it's been over a week since my Accutane journey started. Anyway, sorry I haven't updated in a while. Unfortunately, last week I came down with a severe case of bronchitis. Had fever, chills, racing pulse, everything. Not good. The antibiotics are starting to kick in now and I'm feeling a lot better, thankfully. I continued to take my Accutane throughout, so I am living proof you CAN take some antibiotics while on Accutane.

Now, in terms of side effects... To be honest, I haven't experienced a great deal. Though, I will say that my lips are DEFINITELY drying out. Not terribly, though. My skin isn't noticeably dry yet, though it's less oily. Haven't experienced any major break out yet. I have noticed a few more pimples around my mouth and nose, but they're very small and not particularly noticeable. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think the red patches I had around my nose (remnants of the horrible cysts I once had) are fading... My mum said my skin looked better, too! :D

So, overall (besides the bronchitis) it's been a pretty uneventful week! Thanks for reading.

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/29/2014 5:45 am

DAY 17:

Wow, has it really been over two weeks since I started my Accutane journey? It's gone so fast! Sorry I haven't been updating much. To be honest, not a great deal has actually been happening, so I haven't had much to write about. Well, my lips are DEFINITELY drying out, though they aren't at the stage where they're splitting and bleeding. Yet. My skin itself isn't noticeably dry. I have broken out slightly, there are several new pimples on my forehead and around my mouth and nose. It's not too bad, though.

In recent days I've developed a new side effect. On and off throughout the day for the last two or so days I've been getting lower back pain. It only happens if I bend over or lay down, and it only lasts for a few seconds, but it's definitely there. It's VERY bearable (at its worst it's a 3/10 on the pain scale) and like I said only happens if I bend over or lay down, so I'm not overly concerned. Aside from that, so far so good!

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 11/14/2014 4:17 pm

DAY 32

Wow, day 32 ALREADY? It's gone so fast. Well, just had my second round of blood tests and everything is looking good! YAY. My blood cholesterol, liver function and blood counts are pretty much exactly the same as they were before I started Accutane (my cholesterol is actually slightly lower!), which is a huge relief. The derm has now upped my dose to 40mg a day. In terms of side effects, well... I haven't really had any at all. Aside from dry lips and dry skin around my forehead, I've had little to no adverse effects. Not yet, at least. The back pain I was complaining about a few weeks back has pretty much gone. My skin is definitely looking better. Several family members have commented that my skin is looking clearer recently, which is a huge confidence booster. I had a pretty bad IB a couple of weeks into my Accutane journey, but that's pretty much cleared up now. My skin still ain't perfect, but I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking right now. WOO! Let's hope the rest of my journey is as successful as this first month has been! :)

Till next time!

MemberMember
(@jayesbro)

Posted : 12/05/2014 11:58 pm

Hi Hannah,

I'm glad to see that you decided to take Accutane. The excessive dryness typically doesn't begin until the second month, which you should be entering in now. Just keep up the good work.

MemberMember
(@carolinelina)

Posted : 12/06/2014 7:04 pm

Hi Hannah and everyone!

I just wondered Hannah if you got your roaccutane through an NHS or private derm??? I've had breakouts all my life but over the past year it has gone from extreme to mild with just post-scarring (thanks to antibiotics) back to absolutely awful this December. I'm sick of waiting for an NHS referral etc so wanted to go private so just wondered if that's what you did!!

ps. also very new to acne.org so any advice from anyone would be massively appreciated!!!

Caroline x