Notifications
Clear all

Saw Palmetto Dangerous For Liver?

MemberMember
(@quinnmorgendorffer)

Posted : 10/03/2014 1:02 pm

hi guys, ive always been very cautious about what supplements i take and i would really like to incorporate saw palmetto in with my vitamins but i have read that a lot of people have had liver issues because of SP. this frightens me.

i actually just read a forum thread where every poster claimed SP wrecked their liver :( I have excess androgen and was really excited to start taking this until i did the digging..

is it truly that dangerous for the liver? maybe I should also incorporate milk thistle for liver support? I am just really not interested in swapping one problem for another, and anything that detrimental to my body long-term is not the supplement for me.

with that said, anyone have experience with SP care to speak against the people in said thread who claim SP is a very dangerous supplement?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/03/2014 11:12 pm

The main study that used saw palmetto for acne used 640mg a day safely.

Anything is bad for your liver if you take it long enough. Did the person posting actually have tests done to confirm that? Were they alcoholic before that? There are a lot of factors to consider before you rule something out just because someone had a bad experience.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/08/2014 3:32 am

hi guys, ive always been very cautious about what supplements i take and i would really like to incorporate saw palmetto in with my vitamins but i have read that a lot of people have had liver issues because of SP. this frightens me.

i actually just read a forum thread where every poster claimed SP wrecked their liver I have excess androgen and was really excited to start taking this until i did the digging..

is it truly that dangerous for the liver? maybe I should also incorporate milk thistle for liver support? I am just really not interested in swapping one problem for another, and anything that detrimental to my body long-term is not the supplement for me.

with that said, anyone have experience with SP care to speak against the people in said thread who claim SP is a very dangerous supplement?

I took saw palmetto for a while and did not notice any liver problems. It depends on how much and for how long you are taking it. Too much of anything can cause problems.

For excess androgens & estrogen dominance, I personally take inositol & DIM. You can read my experiences in the Hormonal Acne forum.

In my experience, saw palmetto works better for men. DIM would work better for women.

As with anything, there are good reviews and there are bad. Every product I research has positive and negative reviews, so you just have to see for yourself I guess, and weigh the pros and cons carefully.