Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Causing Severe Muscle And Nerve Pain? Is This Related To A Lack Of Estrogen?

MemberMember
(@acidpop)

Posted : 10/02/2014 7:38 pm

Has anyone experienced severe side effects from Spironolactone? I'm getting a lot of muscle and joint pain.

I am properly hydrated (I drink lots of water, no coffee, soda, or alcohol) and my potassium levels are fine. I know Spiro can deplete some vitamins/minerals, including folate, but Im wondering if this could be hormonal. Ive read mixed information on how Spiro affects estrogen/progesterone levels. Some websites claim that Spiro raises estrogen. Others say it has anti-estrogenic effects and can lower it. Which one is correct?!

After doing a little digging, Ive found other people talking about severe, unusual side effects from Spiro, including pain. I found one person who said it caused debilitating spinal pain that was relieved after adding in estrogen.

Any thoughts? I feel like Im dying, to be honest. I stopped the Spiro about 3.5 months ago but the symptoms are persisting. Im shoveling down magnesium and folic acid supplements, along with other helpful things like fish oil, a b-complex, etc., but still feel terrible.

If youre interested, heres one of the websites I found where people were discussing the nasty effects Spiro had on them:

[removed]

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 10/06/2014 6:28 am

I found joint and nerve pain but was told it was because I was hyperkalemic.

I know expect my liver to be trash.

AnneofGreenGables could better advise on this.

MemberMember
(@acidpop)

Posted : 10/07/2014 8:38 pm

Hmm. My potassium level always turned up normal.

MemberMember
(@acidpop)

Posted : 11/11/2014 9:29 pm

Bumping, because I'm still curious if anyone else experienced bad side effects on Spiro.

MemberMember
(@taylorfornow)

Posted : 05/23/2019 5:50 pm

On 10/3/2014 at 6:38 AM, AcidPop said:

Has anyone experienced severe side effects from Spironolactone? I'm getting a lot of muscle and joint pain.

I am properly hydrated (I drink lots of water, no coffee, soda, or alcohol) and my potassium levels are fine. I know Spiro can deplete some vitamins/minerals, including folate, but Im wondering if this could be hormonal. Ive read mixed information on how Spiro affects estrogen/progesterone levels. Some websites claim that Spiro raises estrogen. Others say it has anti-estrogenic effects and can lower it. Which one is correct?!

After doing a little digging, Ive found other people talking about severe, unusual side effects from Spiro, including pain. I found one person who said it caused debilitating spinal pain that was relieved after adding in estrogen.

Any thoughts? I feel like Im dying, to be honest. I stopped the Spiro about 3.5 months ago but the symptoms are persisting. Im shoveling down magnesium and folic acid supplements, along with other helpful things like fish oil, a b-complex, etc., but still feel terrible.

If youre interested, heres one of the websites I found where people were discussing the nasty effects Spiro had on them:

[removed]

AcidPop,

Ive had a very similar experience after taking this drug for two months then stopping, and the problems have persisted for 8 months after stopping (albeit they are well controlled some days by supplements). I sent you a message awhile back hoping to pick your brain on what ended up working to get rid of these painful complications, but I wanted to reply, too, in case youd see this more readily! Looking forward to hearing from you, especially consideringhow much of a nightmare this has been.

Thanks so much,

Taylor