Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Log: Female, 21, 40Mg/day

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/02/2014 5:13 pm

Hi everyone! I'm already on day 10 but I still hope to share my accutane experience as logs!

Before taking accutane, my skin was oily. So oily. I had congested skin as well as nodules on my chin and between my eyebrows. The nodule acne lasted 2-3 weeks. When they went away, it seemed like they just went dormant because a few days later, they'd appear again in the same location. My forehead had a lot of "surface" acne/whiteheads, as well as my cheeks. Frequently, I'd get papules on my cheeks (without me touching the acne) and would last 2-3 weeks.

Days 1-10

- On day 1-2 of accutane, I did get headaches. I took 1 tylenol/day for the pain, but the headaches disappeared by day 3!
- On day 3 of accutane, I noticed my lips got dry. Like when you don't moisturize your face and it has that "tight" feeling. Yup, thats how my lips feel. Theres no dry/peeling skin though. It just feels dry.
- On day 4 of accutane, my scalp got itchy, but I assume its because my scalp is dry. I'm also noticing dandruff... or dry scalp. Haha!
- On day 5 of accutane, I popped a pimple on my cheek that was swollen (before accutane), but I think the accutane dried it up because I was able to get the acne (white thing) out... Sorry for the lack of terms here
- On day 6 of accutane, the pimple I popped is flat but I noticed a pimple under my left nostril/upper lip. It was painful... So I popped it. I'm bad, I know.
- On day 7 of accutane, I noticed my skin was peeling/dry. Foundation didn't sit nicely & emphasized the dry patches'
- On day 8, 9 & 10 of accutane, I haven't noticed any major changes. I've been moisturizing with CeraVe moisturizing cream, which helps with the dryness a lot.

Skincare Routine

Morning: In the morning, I cleanse my face with a wet towel, I do not wash it with anything. I then proceed to use the Body Shop's Vitamin E toner, Clinique's Dramatically Different Lotion+ or CeraVe's moisturizing lotion. For under the eyes, I use Kiels' avocado eye cream.

Removing Makeup: I either use Pond's makeup removing wipes (the texture helps get rid of the dry skin) or Pond's cold cream!

Shower: I wash my face with CeraVe's moisturizng (non-foaming) face wash. Sometimes, I do opt for NoXema's original face wash since the CeraVe face wash sometimes gives my skin a burning sensation.

Night/After Showering: I tone my face with the Body Shop's Vitamin E toner. I then use the Body Shop's Vitamin E Oil & let it sink in for a minute. I then proceed to using CeraVe's moisturizing cream, and finish off with Kiels' avocado eye cream.

Face Makeup

After moisturizing, I use Mac's Strobe cream as a primer. It helps with the dryness. I then use either Benefit's Oxygen Wow Foundation or Bobby Brown's skin foundation. For blemishes that are still stubborn, I use Tarte's stick concealer--which I apply with a brush. When I'm lazy, I also use this for under the eyes but usually, I'd opt for Mac's Prolongwear concealer for dark circles. I then use Mac's blot powder on the T-Zone & finish off with the rest of my makeup!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/03/2014 4:21 pm

Day 11 update!

I've noticed that the clogged pores from my congested skin is slowly surfacing. None of them are "swollen" pimples, which is great. There is no swollen acne, but I can feel the tiny congested acne beneath my skin when I run my finger over my forehead or cheek.

Oh! I totally forgot to mention that I have back acne as well. I haven't seen any visible improvement in my back acne, mostly because the majority of it is scars.

Also, my lips feel unbearable without lip balm on it. I'm currently trying to use up my rosebud salve, but I do carry around my carmex as well. I'm trying to use these up before I purchase something more heavy duty!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/05/2014 1:41 pm

Oops! I forgot to update yesterday!

Day 12 update:

My scalp is still itchy. I'm trying to find something to moisturize my scalp but no luck yet. My skin isn't itchy anymore, probably due to me moisturizing.

My back acne is getting inflamed now (initial breakout?) I don't ever pick at my back acne though. My face hasn't experienced the initial breakout yet. I did get one whitehead on my cheek today. which I popped but I don't consider that the initial breakout, since I usually do get more acne than just one.

Lips still feel tight, although my skin isn't as dry/patchy. Which I have CeraVe to thank!

Will update day 13 tonight!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/05/2014 11:54 pm

Day 13 Update!

Everything is relatively the same. My scalp is still itchy, lips still dry. Im feeling a cystic acne developing on my chin though. Hopefully, it doesnt turn into the size of a golfball, like the way it usually does.

No back pain or joint pain currently

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/06/2014 3:16 pm

Day 14 update!

My skin is no longer oily!

I can wear foundation without it separating after 3 hours, incredible!!

The cystic acne that is developing on my chin is still quite small. I'll keep updating on that though.

The scalp is still itchy, although I notice its less itchy on days that I wash my hair & skin is not itchy.

Thats it for today!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/07/2014 11:48 pm

Day 15 update!

The cystic acne on my chin remains small, its no longer has a bump but I can still feel it. I, however, have another cystic acne on my chin that is visible with a bump.

My back acne is getting inflamed, they hurt when I lean on ANYTHING. Its especially irritating because its underneath my bra strap on my shoulder.

I have developed a pimple on my cheek as well, but its nothing thats irritating.

Thats all for day 15

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/08/2014 9:45 pm

Day 16

The cystic acne on my chin is not getting big. My forehead is beginning to clear, theres less bumps. Or so I think there are less.

I feel a bit of back pain today, like its uncomfortable. I'll keep updating on that though.

And I still have dry lips, dry scalp

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/09/2014 10:12 pm

Day 17! -Oct 9/14

Skin looks bumpy again. I got an acne (with a white head) on my cheek. It hurt to touch it and when I was laughing at this video earlier, it kind of popped, so I drained it. Thank goodness that didn't happen while I was talking to someone!

Still have acne on my back, still hurts to lean on things.

Dry lips, itchy scalp

Back hurts a bit.

I just ordered aquaphor off of amazon. I had the protectant ointment, didn't realize they were different. Hopefully the healing ointment is 100x better!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/10/2014 7:47 pm

Day 18 - Oct 10

My skin still looks bumpy, or should I say congested?

The acne that exploded on my cheek is flat now, and it doesn't hurt anymore. I have a cyst near my left eye (tear-duct area). I get cysts on this side all the time, but it doesn't look like its as inflamed as it usually gets. My lips are really dry now, and they've started peeling! They're really smooth though, haha!

I took fish oil yesterday & this morning. My back doesn't hurt anymore. I can still feel that my back is "tired" but I forget about it. Thats all for now

MemberMember
(@hannahl96)

Posted : 10/11/2014 2:37 pm

Thanks for the regular updates! I am due to start Accutane next week. I am excited, but also a little apprehensive of potential side effects. But, it seems like yours haven't been too bad so far. I'm starting off on 20mg a day (I'm 18, 5'9" and weigh 130 pounds) so hopefully side effects won't be too horrific for me.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/11/2014 2:44 pm

Thanks for the regular updates! I am due to start Accutane next week. I am excited, but also a little apprehensive of potential side effects. But, it seems like yours haven't been too bad so far. I'm starting off on 20mg a day (I'm 18, 5'9" and weigh 130 pounds) so hopefully side effects won't be too horrific for me.

Good luck!

Hi Hannah! I'm 5'3 and 120 pounds and on 40mg/day. With my first dose, I noticed the dry lips the next day so get your lip moisturizer ready! And invest in a good night cream!

I also totally forgot to mention that I'm taking fish oil (without any Vitamin A), which I find helps the back aches a lot! It eases the aches to the point that I'm not bothered by it! So if you do get back aches, try taking some fish oil!

Good luck to you as well!

HannahL96 liked
MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/12/2014 12:35 am

Day 19 - Oct 11

The fish oil has been helping my back loads! The developing cystic acne on my chin stays rather small, although I did wake up with one today & the bump is visible. I have a bunch of like tiny lumps on my skin. Its really weird because when I wake up, my skin is really smooth but after an hour or two, the tiny bumps appear and stay all day. Is this just congested skin? Will it disappear eventually? My friend says it looks like my skin is irritated but it in no way feels like it is.

Oh well, will keep you guys updated!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/12/2014 5:29 pm

Day 20 - Oct 12

No back pain thanks to the fish oil. If you guys are wondering, I just take the 100% wild alaskan salmon fish oil from costco! Anyways, today I couldn't help but pop some of those clogged pores & some stringy white things came out. My face is kind of sore though, even though I popped only 3. I'll try not to touch them anymore. My forehead is doing well! I haven't had any huge pimples appear & its probably 50% smoother than when it was before I stared accutane.

Again, my lips are really dry. I have a dentist appointment next week but I dont know if I can keep my mouth open for that long, since dentists seem to rub off whatevers on my lips with their gloves when they're cleaning my teeth. I may cancel my appointment. I also forgot to mention that yesterday, I developed a white head near my eyebrow but its flat today! Yay!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/13/2014 5:07 pm

Day 21 - October 13

I woke up today with my face and lips dry. My face was more dry than usual, I may need to double up on the moisturizer to see how well it lasts throughout the night.

I have two cystic acne on my chin, one is new and the other is from a few days ago. Its still stubborn. I don't think I'm getting as many inflamed pimples on my back either

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/14/2014 12:10 pm

Day 22 - Oct 14!

Early update today! So the cystic acne on my chin is the size of a golfball. It is really painful & and did not pick at it -- I don't pick at cystic acne, ever. I did, however, pick at some small spots on my cheek & I guess I tore the top layer off. It doesn't hurt or anything, that part is just red & makeup doesn't stick to it. I've noticed that I don't have redness other than the spots. When I first started taking accutane, my face was flush but not anymore! Will keep you guys updated though

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/14/2014 11:14 pm

Day 22.. end of day update

Somehow, 2 more cysts have made their way onto my chin, so thats 3 in total. Painful to talk!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/15/2014 9:01 pm

Day 23! Woke up with another cyst on my chin. This once is right on the bottom so you can feel it. The bump isn't visible since its underneath. My foundation has never applied this nicely before. I'm so pleased : ) and my foundation lasts for 9 hours without budging! Happy!

I still have dry lips. Currently no back pain/headaches.

Thats everything for today, folks!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/16/2014 1:38 pm

Day 24. No new cysts, but I'm going to say that I got cysts because my cycle has just started. Hopefully when it ends, the cysts will delfate & not come back again for my next cycle. I'm feeling back pain today, but again, my back feels quite achy when I'm on my period. I have the usual dry lips & now new symptoms to report! Yay!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/17/2014 9:31 pm

Day 25

The cysts are flattening out now, the bump is still prominent but much smaller than it was yesterday. I have a smal spot on my forehead but in general, my forehead is smooth now. I still have a bunch of congested acne on my cheeks, chin & jawline. It feels liek some of them are going to become whiteheads.. or maybe cysts. Who knows, gah. I'm still experiencing dry lips & no more back pain.

Also, I purchased the aloe mask and vitamin e moisture mask (or something) from the body shop. These are great!! I use the vitamin e in conjunction with cerave at night & my skin just eats it up!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/18/2014 8:23 pm

Day 26

That one cyst under my chin hurts a lot. When I'm washing my face in the shower, I can feel these small tiny bumps under my skin. I've always felt these but more currently, some of them had a tiny hard feeling so when I got out of the shower, I popped it (i put tissue paper over my fingers to kind of take pressure off of my nails to my skin) and a blackhead came out, although it didn't look like a blackhead. Anyways, I think some of my congested skin may be surfacing as blackheads while others are inflamed acne, as when I woke up today I had one on my upper lip that was a bigger congested spot yesterday. Nothing else to report today!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/18/2014 11:10 pm

Cysts won't stop bleeding once you pop them while on accutane.

At least that's what happened with me.

Your blood clots less because accutane decreases the number of platelets in it.

Well, it also depends on how bad the wound is, but I had a terrible experience with mine.

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/21/2014 6:00 pm

Cysts won't stop bleeding once you pop them while on accutane.

At least that's what happened with me.

Your blood clots less because accutane decreases the number of platelets in it.

Well, it also depends on how bad the wound is, but I had a terrible experience with mine.

Yeah, I don't ever pick at my cysts! But I do agree with the blood clotting less. I accidentally cut my finger while cutting a bagel and I feel like its taking a bit longer to heal, and I can also feel it like I just got cut. Thanks for the information, I'll definitely make sure to not pick at my skin!

Late update on day 27! Oct 20

No new symptoms. Just the usually dry lips and I actually only have 3 cysts on my chin left. Yes, the one thats the size of the golfball is still there.

Day 28 - Oct 21

No new symptoms! Just had my blood work done today! Dermatologist appointment on Friday & I'll be going 1 day without accutane

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/22/2014 9:51 pm

Clearly, I'm out of my pills, which means that I've hit day 30. I documented something wrong... oops!

Day 30!

My skin (body) is getting more dry now, I'm starting to moisturize. Yes, that cystic acne is still there. I think I'm developing 2 more though.. which takes the count back up to 4 cystic acne on my chin. Fun!

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/24/2014 6:28 pm

Oct 24 - Day 31

I saw my dermatologist today & got upped to 50mg. My blood work was all good! Yay!

There's a total of 5 cystic acne on my face now. 4 in my chin area and 1 by my cheek

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/25/2014 10:44 pm

Day 32 - Oct 25

Two of the cystic acne has calmed down, but one got bigger. I still have dry lips and skin. I will probably go pick up a better body moisturizer tomorrow. I had to take off my ring because it was irritating my skin. The skin that the ring was on top of got really dry and peely. This is the first time (since I wore my ring) over 4 years now, that this has ever happened. I don't think I"ll be able to wear it until I finish my accutane journey