Notifications
Clear all

Dianette Diary

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 09/30/2014 4:25 am

After staying clear on Yasmin for 2 years, my acne flared up worse than ever 5 months ago regardless of the fact I was still taking my Yasmin religiously. Two months ago (almost) the docs and a private dermatologist changed me over to Dianette due to the Yasmin working so well for me the first time, however these hormones were no longer right for me anymore.

I decided to make a log of my progress due to finding the logs of Dianette on here so helpful to read whilst I was waiting for my pill to kick in. I'll update as I go along but for now i'll explain week by week from memory. I am currently at the end of week 7 about to start my second month's 7 day break.

Would LOVE to hear from people who have been on Dianette/ are thinking of going on Dianette or already are!

Week 1- no change in my skin, still rubbish, but no worse.

Week 2- no change in my skin, still rubbish, but no worse.

Week 3- skin seemed to be calmed, not too bad due to the fact I was about 10 days away from a period. Still not amazing but no painful, scar causing sore break out like usually before a period. Thought the Dianette had cured me that fast and got super excited- unfortunately not.

Week 4- my first week off Dianette as my first 7 day break. First 4 or so days were okay however towards the end of the break I broke out quite badly. Has left scars unfortunately.

Week 5- spent this time recovering from the 7 day break break out. So skin wasn't looking all together great.

Week 6- skin seemed to have settled, had 3/4 days of skin with only 2 or so spots and scars which were covered well with make up. Managed to feel okay to put make up on and go out a few evenings feeling really good. Felt so excited that my skin was better, had a great few days being thankful feeling over the breakouts however unfortunately it did not last :(

Week 7- Skin flared- disappointed beyond words. Really thought i'd come past the acne! Ah well, hopefully month three will be better. Today is my last pill of month two. About to embark on my second months 7 day break. Will keep you all updated.

Replies of any nature would be great! Haven't had the opportunity to speak to anyone with any experience of Dianette yet, so would be much appreciated :)

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 10/03/2014 7:44 pm

Diane has worked wonders for my skin! Not sure if you've read my log or not - it's in my signature. I'll definitely say that it was a roller coaster ride for me. There was a LOT of disappointing breakouts up until the 5.5 month mark, after which I still did get smaller breakouts but definitely not as bad as the initial months. I've been on it for a over a year now and it's been great.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/04/2014 7:19 am

Diane has worked wonders for my skin! Not sure if you've read my log or not - it's in my signature. I'll definitely say that it was a roller coaster ride for me. There was a LOT of disappointing breakouts up until the 5.5 month mark, after which I still did get smaller breakouts but definitely not as bad as the initial months. I've been on it for a over a year now and it's been great.

5.5 months! Ah- that kills me! This has taken over my life for long enough! I'll read your log now thank you :) did it get gradually better throughout the 5.5 months though? I seem to have forehead acne now which I never had before? Thank you for your honest reply nevertheless :) cannot wait for this to start working

Took my last pill of month 2 on Tuesday, its now Saturday. So my fourth pill free day of the seven day break. Skin looks absolutely AWFUL.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 10/04/2014 5:02 pm

5.5 months! Ah- that kills me! This has taken over my life for long enough! I'll read your log now thank you did it get gradually better throughout the 5.5 months though? I seem to have forehead acne now which I never had before? Thank you for your honest reply nevertheless cannot wait for this to start working

Took my last pill of month 2 on Tuesday, its now Saturday. So my fourth pill free day of the seven day break. Skin looks absolutely AWFUL.

Yeah I had a lot of false alarms throughout those months because my skin would look really great but then I'd break out and it would look terrible and then heal...it was a vicious cycle. I think I took longer than most people to clear up on Diane though because I've read other people's logs too and it didn't seem to take them as long...so hopefully it'll be less than 5 months for you :P.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/04/2014 5:57 pm

5.5 months! Ah- that kills me! This has taken over my life for long enough! I'll read your log now thank you smile.png did it get gradually better throughout the 5.5 months though? I seem to have forehead acne now which I never had before? Thank you for your honest reply nevertheless smile.png cannot wait for this to start working

Yeah I had a lot of false alarms throughout those months because my skin would look really great but then I'd break out and it would look terrible and then heal...it was a vicious cycle. I think I took longer than most people to clear up on Diane though because I've read other people's logs too and it didn't seem to take them as long...so hopefully it'll be less than 5 months for you :P.

Ah yes it's so so Dissapointing isn't it! I had a few days with only 1 active pimple at about 6/7 weeks and I was so so so happy! Was so upsetting when it flared up so terribly again

Ah yes I sure hope so! Thanks so much for your kind words :)

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/06/2014 3:50 am

Today is day 6 of my 7 day break in month two, and my skin seems lovely and calm? Don't get me wrong, I still have a couple of spots, but they seem to be healing nicely and on their way out, without the sight of any new ones?! My skin looks soft, calm and it good condition apart from the blemishes. I'm very happy with this, however, I don't want to speak too soon after what happened last time I had a good patch. However, i'm preying this might just be the end of my acne battle for a while :)

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/09/2014 8:55 am

Second day back taking the pill today, strip 3 so month 3. Really don't want to speak too soon, but my skin hasn't been this clear in a long while, its behaving beautifully well!

Skin is a lot less oily, don't wake up with a shiny face. It's matte but also dewy. Skin looks in great condition. Don't get me wrong its not flawless. I have a few pimples but they're very very small and flat red scars (thankful theyre not pitted) but both are easily coverable. And seem to be healing slowly without replacements of new ones?

So so happy at the moment and so thankful for the dianette. Preying this lasts. Will update in a few days- hopefully still clear!!!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/14/2014 11:42 am

Day 7 of month 3 today. Skins been pretty clear apart from my forehead which has small pimples over, however they're coverable and for some reason id rather forehead pimples than cheek/jawline ones?

Have noticed 3 or so little pimples coming up, hoping they'll stay tiny and go back down. Spots are smaller since being on Dianette, no big red painful ones for a little while. Did start using La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo a few days ago twice a day. I've used La Roche Posay skincare for a while now but since using this twice a day by skin is slightly shiny, which may be the reason for the tiny pimples coming up. Usually I go for days without moistourising due to my super oily skin, even oily skin lotions make my skin oily. However, i really like the idea and texture of this lotion so will start using once a day instead from now on. Hoping these tiny pimples cropping up are as a result of using the Effaclar Duo twice a day, and not a step backwards in my amazing Dianette progress over the past 2/3 months.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/14/2014 2:31 pm

Day 7 of month 3. Just washed my face- they are indeed spots. Looks very red and spotty. Damn! Literally actually believe its gone back to being rubbish. :( 🙁 was so happy this past week! However I had just done my skincare regime, which usually does make my face red and blotchy. I'll readdress the situation in the morning. Preying for calmer skin.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/16/2014 7:03 am

Day 9 of month 3. Skin looks HORRENDOUS. So spotty, pretty much gone back to exactly how it was before. Actually cannot believe it! Ah well, trying to keep strong. Had clear skin for about 10 days, was so lovely. Thought I was over the acne and the pill had kicked in- evidently not :(

Hoping by the end of month 3 i'll be in a better place :(

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/20/2014 2:58 am

Day 11/12 of month 3. Skins calmed back down. Looking so much better. Maybe 3/4 pimples? One on forehead, one on side of face and two on other side. Not perfect- but not too bad at all.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/25/2014 5:25 am

Day 17 of month 3. Skin has stayed rather calm- amazing! Got one rather sore spot on my cheek, however, i'm definitely not going to complain about one! Don't get me wrong its not flawless, but this is mainly due to red flat scars however they'll fade with time. As of active acne, its very very minimal. So so happy at the moment- so great to have my life back !!!

Will keep updated, its not Saturday and my last pill from strip 3 will be on Tuesday. Usually my skin is okay for the beginning of the 7 day break, then towards the end it goes horrid. Preying this month it'll be different beens as its now my third month!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/26/2014 4:28 am

Day 18 of month 3. The spot on the side of my face has turned into a huge huge two next to eachother, with a huge under jaw spot too. Very painful. When will these breakouts end!!!!! I've had some good spells though so, onwards and upwards. Can't wait to get onto month 4 however really not looking forwards to my 7 day break :(

Hate getting more breakouts when i'm trying to heal the scars I currently have. Only leaves me with more!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/27/2014 2:01 pm

Day 20 of month 3. Day 74 maybe?

The 3 huge spots are still here, obviously. Never had spots this big i don't think! They're actually painful! However, there are only three. Hoping to clear and stay clear soon- will keep updating !

MemberMember
(@marie3892)

Posted : 10/28/2014 5:17 am

Hi there, I am new to this, but after coming across your posts, thought I would let you know about my daughter's experience. She is 15 and has had mild but persistent acne on her chin for the past year. During this time she has not had one day where her skin has been clear. After trying several topical treatments, our GP has put her on Dianette. She is now on her third month, day 16. Her experience has been so similar to yours. Some weeks she feels that it is beginning to work only to be really disappointed a couple of days later when she breaks out again. Right now her skin is not good and she feels awful. I try to reassure her that many people taking Dianette have said that it takes at least 3 months to work and up to 6 months to get the maximum effect - but I understand how frustrating the waiting is! Keep posting and I will too. I hope that clear skin is just around the corner for both of you.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/28/2014 7:26 am

Day 21 of month 3. Total- day 77. Skin looks shit, can see more spots coming. And they're kinda painful.

2 large ones on the cheek, one on jawline and 2 on other cheek, maybe 3 smaller ones on forehead but still relevant.

Strange because usually my skin breaks out on the 7 day break of the pill, and i'm only about to start that tomorrow. Hoping this change may be that the Dianette is getting into my system? Who knows. Trying to keep positive and hope that month 4 this will not happen. Although I do seem to be getting more clear periods of the month each month that goes by, which is great.

MemberMember
(@marie3892)

Posted : 10/28/2014 1:35 pm

Sorry to hear that things aren't great, but good to hear that you are staying positive. I'm trying to keep my daughter positive too. So many people have said that they had a big improvement in the fourth month - so fingers crossed! Also do you use anything topical? My daughter is using Zineryt, but I'm not sure if this is helping or not, she was using bp but her skin was so red and dry, she couldn't stand it.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/30/2014 6:28 am

Hi there, I am new to this, but after coming across your posts, thought I would let you know about my daughter's experience. She is 15 and has had mild but persistent acne on her chin for the past year. During this time she has not had one day where her skin has been clear. After trying several topical treatments, our GP has put her on Dianette. She is now on her third month, day 16. Her experience has been so similar to yours. Some weeks she feels that it is beginning to work only to be really disappointed a couple of days later when she breaks out again. Right now her skin is not good and she feels awful. I try to reassure her that many people taking Dianette have said that it takes at least 3 months to work and up to 6 months to get the maximum effect - but I understand how frustrating the waiting is! Keep posting and I will too. I hope that clear skin is just around the corner for both of you.

Ah- have just come online and read this with my mum also- we thought this was such a sweet message! Yeah its very frustrating as you'll think you're staying clear, then as soon as you get your hopes up it breaks out again! Its so upsetting when you could see it coming. But i'm sure like you've said to your daughter as my mum does to me, we've done the hard first 3 months or so and i've researched this pill for days and days and so many people seem to have such amazing results in month 4- so we really are so so close!

Theres a couple of really great Dianette logs i've found on this website i'll find the links for you now that would be great for your daughter to look at. They've kept me so positive as i've tracked their experience against mine, with them really struggling then as soon as they get into month 4 they have beautiful flawless skin which has really kept me going to know i'm hopefully so close! I will link these below. They've really kept me so so positive! :)

and this one here is good because on this page the girl discusses how her skins got great on month 4, as well as the pictures one girl has attached of her beautifully clear skin

Also, on the front of topicals, they were all making my skin so dry and red, and were such a nuisance to use I eventually gave them all up at about month 2 and decided to just let Dianette do its work, and i haven't seen too much different to be honest. Are your daughters breakouts still just on her chin? Mine are cheek/jawline, however some on the forehead at the moment too also, although small, still annoying

Day 23 of month 3? Day 79? Skin seems to be healing from breakout. Spots are flatter however forehead has tiny little spots over, but these have been here for a week or so now. Not great, not awful. Been better, been worse! Staying positive- get me onto month 4! :)

MemberMember
(@marie3892)

Posted : 10/30/2014 10:57 am

Hi! Thanks for your message and the links - will have a good read of those later tonight In your case I think it is a very positive sign that you are having longer clear spells each month, which must mean that the Dianette is starting to work. My daughter hasn't really experienced that yet, although, I would say that the very mild acne she had on her back (but it was very mild) has completely cleared in the last few weeks so maybe this is a sign that it is beginning to work for her. Her spots are all on her chin, she gets an occasional one or two elsewhere but they go quickly, the ones on her chin are really stubborn and are always there making her chin permanently red which she hates (obviously) and isnt helped as the rest of her face is really pale! However, as you say you are both fast approaching the fourth month and should (and will I'm sure) start to see things get better and better. Re topical treatments, she thinks she might lay off them for a bit and see what happens; she agrees with you, often it seems as though they just make the skin red and aggravated. Judging by the comments I have read about Dianette I'm sure you will both have great results soon!

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/30/2014 12:12 pm

Hi! Thanks for your message and the links - will have a good read of those later tonight In your case I think it is a very positive sign that you are having longer clear spells each month, which must mean that the Dianette is starting to work. My daughter hasn't really experienced that yet, although, I would say that the very mild acne she had on her back (but it was very mild) has completely cleared in the last few weeks so maybe this is a sign that it is beginning to work for her. Her spots are all on her chin, she gets an occasional one or two elsewhere but they go quickly, the ones on her chin are really stubborn and are always there making her chin permanently red which she hates (obviously) and isn™t helped as the rest of her face is really pale! However, as you say you are both fast approaching the fourth month and should (and will I'm sure) start to see things get better and better. Re topical treatments, she thinks she might lay off them for a bit and see what happens; she agrees with you, often it seems as though they just make the skin red and aggravated. Judging by the comments I have read about Dianette I'm sure you will both have great results soon!

No problem at all!

Ah yes thank you- i'm hoping thats what the clear spells mean too! Thank you very much :) Yeah that definitely sounds like hers is working, maybe the chin is just slightly more stubborn so it's not quite there yet. But I suppose by month 4 your bodys had a good three TOTM's in order to settle themselves. Must be hard for your daughter being at school with this problem- i've missed a lot of time of university and work because of this and people don't realise how much it can effect your day to day life! My dermatologist recommended a light medicated Eucerin concealer to wear, just as i've been laying off make up until my skins better.

Yeah thats what i thought about topicals- my face would look just as bad all red and dry as it would with the marks! In the end i decided, if my breakouts are fully hormonal topicals aren't going to cure that. And I wanted to let the Dianette do its job

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 10/31/2014 9:11 am

Day 80. Today is Friday, resume pill month 4 on Wednesday. Off to the docs for my pill check up on Monday, just to check blood pressure, weight etc before they put Dianette on repeat prescription.

Skin is still the same, not awful but definitely not good. Seems to be slowly but surely recovering from breakout. Good spells seem to be getting longer each month, preying in month 4 the good spells are always! The whole Dianette journey is very very up and down. Good for a while, then a breakout. Will keep updating daily now as I am approaching hopefully getting clear finally and there is more to comment on due to how quickly my skin seems to change

Still would love to hear from any Dianette users/ previous users or potential future users! :)

MemberMember
(@marie3892)

Posted : 10/31/2014 10:17 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes she has found facing school difficult sometimes, particularly when she was using the benzoyl peroxide looked like a flaky mess as well as spotty. I also have experience with acne; I suffered in my mid 20s. Just suddenly came on was crazy spotty. It really affected my confidence, so I can understand the anxiety and frustration you feel as well as how it can affect your day to day life. I remember feeling thoroughly miserable, thinking it would never go, but it did. Bring on month 4 success is on its way

Ill have a look at the Eucerin concealer.

The links were great, especially the one with the photos. Good to compare your own progress against and one thing really stands out the Dianette journey is up and down for everyone. It seems that you have to go through the tough start at the beginning to get the reward at the end.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 11/01/2014 1:25 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes she has found facing school difficult sometimes, particularly when she was using the benzoyl peroxide “ looked like a flaky mess as well as spotty. I also have experience with acne; I suffered in my mid 20s. Just suddenly came on “ was crazy spotty. It really affected my confidence, so I can understand the anxiety and frustration you feel as well as how it can affect your day to day life. I remember feeling thoroughly miserable, thinking it would never go, but it did. Bring on month 4 “ success is on its way

I™ll have a look at the Eucerin concealer.

The links were great, especially the one with the photos. Good to compare your own progress against and one thing really stands out the Dianette journey is up and down for everyone. It seems that you have to go through the tough start at the beginning to get the reward at the end.

Aw bless her, I know exactly how she feels. I remember my skin would literally peel off with the topicals it was so horrible! Oh no! How did you clear up your skin? I think it was shocking for me because the same thing happened, my skin was fine then literally woke up over night covered! I thought 'ah it's just a bad time of the month breakout, unusual but it'll go down' then as the weeks/months went by i knew something was wrong!

Beware with the Eucerin concealer- its a very medium colour and is far too dark for my skin in natural lighting unless you're slightly tanned it just won't work.

Yeah the pictures are great aren't they! Really keep me going as proof that it'll 100% get better! :)

MemberMember
(@marie3892)

Posted : 11/02/2014 5:43 am

Poor you I can relate. I was shocked too, it just came on and was relentless. I had antibiotics and the pill. Dont think I took them at the same time, think I had the antibiotics for a couple of months first and then went on to Marvelon . I wasnt offered Dianette, didnt know about it no internet then so it wasnt easy to find out about things (talking 20 years +). My skin eventually cleared, but I can remember the frustration of waiting and waiting and waiting! However, since that time I havent had any serious breakouts just odd spots now and then.

A couple of things to add about Dianette that help my daughter stay positive: 1 when I picked up her prescription, the pharmacist said that in all the cases of hormonal acne she knew about Dianette had work. 2 On another log Ive read, the girl had the same experience ie clearer times followed by disappointing breakouts, but she said this stopped around day 100 and then her skin became clear and stayed clear.

Thanks for your encouraging replies to us, much appreciated

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 11/03/2014 3:36 am

Day 83. Skin is re-clearing. Doesn't seem to be any active acne forming which is good.

Off to the docs this morning to get my pill check up, blood pressure, weight etc. To get my next 3 month pack ready to start month 4 on Wednesday. It's Monday today. Will keep updating regularly as i'm hopefully approaching becoming clear :)

Poor you “ I can relate. I was shocked too, it just came on and was relentless. I had antibiotics and the pill. Don™t think I took them at the same time, think I had the antibiotics for a couple of months first and then went on to Marvelon . I wasn™t offered Dianette, didn™t know about it “ no internet then so it wasn™t easy to find out about things (talking 20 years +). My skin eventually cleared, but I can remember the frustration of waiting and waiting and waiting! However, since that time I haven™t had any serious breakouts just odd spots now and then.

A couple of things to add about Dianette that help my daughter stay positive: 1 when I picked up her prescription, the pharmacist said that in all the cases of hormonal acne she knew about Dianette had work. 2 On another log I™ve read, the girl had the same experience ie clearer times followed by disappointing breakouts, but she said this stopped around day 100 and then her skin became clear and stayed clear.

Thanks for your encouraging replies to us, much appreciated

Ah yes thats what my dermatologist said- she's seen such amazing results in most cases. Thanks for those encouraging words! Thats quite okay, I'll keep updating but be sure to update when your daughter manages to get clear which will hopefully be soon ! :)