Notifications
Clear all

Acne Has Destroyed My Life

MemberMember
(@ad499)

Posted : 09/29/2014 6:10 pm

I dont know who else to talk to about this and feel like this is the only place to do so as other people could maybe relate.

I have been suffering from this disgusting diseas since the age of 13. I am now 20. i didn't have it so bad in my early days, just a few pimples here and there mostly above my top lip, the area below the nose. When i turned about 16/17, i had developed moderate/severe cystic red angry acne all over my cheeks (my right cheek has always been worser than the left) and chin.

I have tried every possible face wash, medication, creams, anti-biotics that i could you could think off, i even took laser treatment several times, nothing worked. When i turned 19 i was using cetaphil, differine and trimethoprim and believe it or not my acne started to reduce. This put my confidence through the roof as i thought that i had finally overcome this horror. Every one had also told me that acne usually goes away at about the age of 20. Well they were wrong.

Just months after turning 20 i had the worst case of a breakout i have had in years. It's like all that effort into trying to make it go away has gone out the window and im back to square one again. I have completely now given up on myself simply because i dont know what to do anymore and how to continue, i feel like there is just literally no way out and that it will never go away.

It has completely ruined my life and i feel like i have been robbed of my teenage years because i didnt even get a chance to enjoy it. I never want to go out and constantly make excuses when my friends invite me to go to events or parties, simply because i dont want to be seen by anyone. On top of that, all my friends are blessed with clear skin and are always good with girls.

I on the otherhand have never had a girlfriend due to my acne, it has made my confidence crumble and i can't even look into a persons eyes nowdays when talking to them because i constantly feel like they are looking at my disgusting acne. I have never even been complimented by any one so that just shows how ugly i really am.

I hate going out during the day because when the sun is out my face is very visible and on top of that my acne gets really red when the weather is hot or when im exposed to sunlight. Thats why i love winter and usually only go out during at night. I like to keep the lights off when im at home simple because i dont want to see my self in the mirror because if i do i just die inside. I have contemplated suicide numerace times due to my depression, and will probably think about it again if my acne doesn't go away. My teenage life was ruined because of this curse and i wont be able to go through with it if it continues to haunt me through my adult years aswell.

I have become really anti-social, i dont want to speak with any one because i am constantly not in the mood. When some one tries to speak to me (example my mum) i try to end the conversation as quick as possible. I stay in my room for most of the time so that i can be away from every one. I also have really bad anger problems and the slightest thing makes me flip, so imagine seeing 5 new pimples everyday when you wake up.

With that being said if theres any one who can relate to my story and has found a way to having clear skin then by all means share it.

MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 09/29/2014 8:31 pm

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I devoloped severe cystic acne at age 16 and still have many active lesions and horrific scars. Life definitley seems a lot less enjoyable when you cannot be confident in yourself because of the way you look. But man, my worst breakouts were when I was stressed out about it.

I would like to talk about health briefly, are you a healthy person? Do you eat foods that beniefit your body, do you exerise? My guess would be no... And I hit a phase where I didn't want to do anything but eat cookies and energy drinks to make myself better, not knowing that those very things were not only making my acne worse, but my overall health worse.

Medical studies have been conducted and found that Dairy is a major culprit in acne prone individuals. I would highly advise you too cut ALL Dairy out of your diet, and yes that means snacks that have some kind of milk ingrediant in them. Many people see high reduction in cystic acne when dairy is taken out.

The next culprit is Gluten, it inflammes the body, and inflammation of the body translates to inflamation of the skin. If your skin is inflammed, Gluten could be making it worse!

So try and cut both Dairy and Gluten out of your diet and see how it makes you feel. If you feel better without it then that means your body will benifit without it. And when your body is healthy, naturally your skin is healthy. Having a healthy inside translates to having a healthy outside :)

My next piece of advice would be to try accutane! It is really the "cure" for Acne!! 66% of patients become clear for life!! Only less than 10% of patients see no improvement (very rare). But Accutane could be your holy grail!! Give it a look at!

I know, Acne has put a burden on my life as well brother, but just understand that people like us have learned some valuable life lessons that we may not have learned otherwise. Such as: how to stick to a routine, not to judge somebody based on their looks but the character of their personality, etc...

And man, have you considered maybe putting on a little Foundation and setting powder? If it makes you feel better and look better. I see no reason us guys can't take advantage of a little urban camoflauge ;)

But again, I stress that stress if definitley not making your acne better. My suggestion would be to maintain a healthy life style (low sugar intake, dairy free, gluten free, high vegtables and fruit intake), and to put on a little bit of foundation/ setting powder (if it takes off the stress).

If you want further details on how to eat, accutane information, or urban camofluage advice. I'm always willing to help a fellow acne sufferer out! The battle with is a tough one, but we will beat it together brother!

FineCrop liked
MemberMember
(@paigers)

Posted : 09/29/2014 9:33 pm

I dont know who else to talk to about this and feel like this is the only place to do so as other people could maybe relate.

I have been suffering from this disgusting diseas since the age of 13. I am now 20. i didn't have it so bad in my early days, just a few pimples here and there mostly above my top lip, the area below the nose. When i turned about 16/17, i had developed moderate/severe cystic red angry acne all over my cheeks (my right cheek has always been worser than the left) and chin.

I have tried every possible face wash, medication, creams, anti-biotics that i could you could think off, i even took laser treatment several times, nothing worked. When i turned 19 i was using cetaphil, differine and trimethoprim and believe it or not my acne started to reduce. This put my confidence through the roof as i thought that i had finally overcome this horror. Every one had also told me that acne usually goes away at about the age of 20. Well they were wrong.

Just months after turning 20 i had the worst case of a breakout i have had in years. It's like all that effort into trying to make it go away has gone out the window and im back to square one again. I have completely now given up on myself simply because i dont know what to do anymore and how to continue, i feel like there is just literally no way out and that it will never go away.

It has completely ruined my life and i feel like i have been robbed of my teenage years because i didnt even get a chance to enjoy it. I never want to go out and constantly make excuses when my friends invite me to go to events or parties, simply because i dont want to be seen by anyone. On top of that, all my friends are blessed with clear skin and are always good with girls.

I on the otherhand have never had a girlfriend due to my acne, it has made my confidence crumble and i can't even look into a persons eyes nowdays when talking to them because i constantly feel like they are looking at my disgusting acne. I have never even been complimented by any one so that just shows how ugly i really am.

I hate going out during the day because when the sun is out my face is very visible and on top of that my acne gets really red when the weather is hot or when im exposed to sunlight. Thats why i love winter and usually only go out during at night. I like to keep the lights off when im at home simple because i dont want to see my self in the mirror because if i do i just die inside. I have contemplated suicide numerace times due to my depression, and will probably think about it again if my acne doesn't go away. My teenage life was ruined because of this curse and i wont be able to go through with it if it continues to haunt me through my adult years aswell.

I have become really anti-social, i dont want to speak with any one because i am constantly not in the mood. When some one tries to speak to me (example my mum) i try to end the conversation as quick as possible. I stay in my room for most of the time so that i can be away from every one. I also have really bad anger problems and the slightest thing makes me flip, so imagine seeing 5 new pimples everyday when you wake up.

With that being said if theres any one who can relate to my story and has found a way to having clear skin then by all means share it.

Hello AD499. I can understand where you're coming from. Acne is very harsh on people's self confidence and ability to have a social life. I already dealt with severe anxiety and depression issues before my acne, so imagine how bad I have it now!

Anyways, what it seems like to me is you are letting your acne win.

You can't continue to let it control your life. Acne is not gross, it's human. Do not be ashamed of your acne. Do not let it stress you out - stress can cause acne!

I may sound stern or aggressive here, but I need you to listen to what I have to say. I tell myself these things every day to get out the door and be in public. It's hard. It's a process, but it's a process well worth it if in the end you learn to love yourself and be confident in who you are. We look at ourselves in the mirror every day - and in ways most other people never even see - and we become so critical of our looks. Why? This is something that needs to be recognized and stopped. The next time you look in your mirror, tell yourself that you're beautiful. That you deserve just as much as someone who does not suffer from acne. Don't let your acne win.

So here's the deal - who cares if someone sees your acne. What does it matter to them? If you are afraid of judgement, remember that anyone who matters in your life will love and care for you free of judgement. This includes anything that happens to your skin. Most of the time people absolutely do not care what is going on all over your face. I promise. Sure, there may be looks, and yes, it's hard to get used to, but you do not let it get to you. The people who judge you do not matter in your life.

You are stronger than acne. You are so much more than your acne. Your skin does not define you.

I promise, you are a beautiful human being with or without acne.

Now, for the long process of trying to clear your acne. It's all trial and error. I know, it's awful. Here are a few things I'd like to know before I offer any more advice:

What is your diet like? Whatever you put in your body, you usually end up sweating out. Sugar and dairy products can increase breakouts.

Have you tried using more organic or all natural methods?

Do you pick at or touch your face?

How often do you wash it, and what products do you currently use?

Do you change your pillowcase or sleep on a clean towel every night?

Have you seen a dermatologist?

I'm here for you, and would love to offer advice or help in any way I can. I understand what you're going through, and I know it's hard, but you have to be strong.

MemberMember
(@brainfreze27)

Posted : 09/30/2014 2:19 am

I understand exactly how you feel man I'm 17 and I'm struggling with acne and I'm starting to give up hope and just accept the fact that I might have acne for the rest of my life.. I try to stay positive but every day acne just eats at my positivity.

MemberMember
(@acne30-2)

Posted : 09/30/2014 3:15 am

I can completely sympathise with you! Everyone can give you advice but like you I hate going out in the day, skin completely defines me it rules my life, cystic acne is not related to foods or where you live or if your lifestyle wether good or bad. I really urge you to see a derm, I've tried every lotion and option as a last resort I'm trying this accutane I'm only in my first week but I'm posting regularly so check out my progress!

I hope you get it sorted everyday I use to say it will get better but I'm now 30 and I still have not had a spot free face so please go see your derm

Good luck

MemberMember
(@ad499)

Posted : 09/30/2014 6:20 am

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I devoloped severe cystic acne at age 16 and still have many active lesions and horrific scars. Life definitley seems a lot less enjoyable when you cannot be confident in yourself because of the way you look. But man, my worst breakouts were when I was stressed out about it.

I would like to talk about health briefly, are you a healthy person? Do you eat foods that beniefit your body, do you exerise? My guess would be no... And I hit a phase where I didn't want to do anything but eat cookies and energy drinks to make myself better, not knowing that those very things were not only making my acne worse, but my overall health worse.

Medical studies have been conducted and found that Dairy is a major culprit in acne prone individuals. I would highly advise you too cut ALL Dairy out of your diet, and yes that means snacks that have some kind of milk ingrediant in them. Many people see high reduction in cystic acne when dairy is taken out.

The next culprit is Gluten, it inflammes the body, and inflammation of the body translates to inflamation of the skin. If your skin is inflammed, Gluten could be making it worse!

So try and cut both Dairy and Gluten out of your diet and see how it makes you feel. If you feel better without it then that means your body will benifit without it. And when your body is healthy, naturally your skin is healthy. Having a healthy inside translates to having a healthy outside :)

My next piece of advice would be to try accutane! It is really the "cure" for Acne!! 66% of patients become clear for life!! Only less than 10% of patients see no improvement (very rare). But Accutane could be your holy grail!! Give it a look at!

I know, Acne has put a burden on my life as well brother, but just understand that people like us have learned some valuable life lessons that we may not have learned otherwise. Such as: how to stick to a routine, not to judge somebody based on their looks but the character of their personality, etc...

And man, have you considered maybe putting on a little Foundation and setting powder? If it makes you feel better and look better. I see no reason us guys can't take advantage of a little urban camoflauge ;)

But again, I stress that stress if definitley not making your acne better. My suggestion would be to maintain a healthy life style (low sugar intake, dairy free, gluten free, high vegtables and fruit intake), and to put on a little bit of foundation/ setting powder (if it takes off the stress).

If you want further details on how to eat, accutane information, or urban camofluage advice. I'm always willing to help a fellow acne sufferer out! The battle with is a tough one, but we will beat it together brother!

I excersize 3 times a week and have cut all dairy products and oily food from my diet a very long time ago, i habent drank fizzy drinks for like 2 years. All i drink is water and juice and only eat home food. Might get a little snack here and there while im at college but very rarely. Eating healthy food hasn't helped my acne clear up at all unfortunately.

Hello AD499. I can understand where you're coming from. Acne is very harsh on people's self confidence and ability to have a social life. I already dealt with severe anxiety and depression issues before my acne, so imagine how bad I have it now!

Anyways, what it seems like to me is you are letting your acne win.

You can't continue to let it control your life. Acne is not gross, it's human. Do not be ashamed of your acne. Do not let it stress you out - stress can cause acne!

I may sound stern or aggressive here, but I need you to listen to what I have to say. I tell myself these things every day to get out the door and be in public. It's hard. It's a process, but it's a process well worth it if in the end you learn to love yourself and be confident in who you are. We look at ourselves in the mirror every day - and in ways most other people never even see - and we become so critical of our looks. Why? This is something that needs to be recognized and stopped. The next time you look in your mirror, tell yourself that you're beautiful. That you deserve just as much as someone who does not suffer from acne. Don't let your acne win.

So here's the deal - who cares if someone sees your acne. What does it matter to them? If you are afraid of judgement, remember that anyone who matters in your life will love and care for you free of judgement. This includes anything that happens to your skin. Most of the time people absolutely do not care what is going on all over your face. I promise. Sure, there may be looks, and yes, it's hard to get used to, but you do not let it get to you. The people who judge you do not matter in your life.

You are stronger than acne. You are so much more than your acne. Your skin does not define you.

I promise, you are a beautiful human being with or without acne.

Now, for the long process of trying to clear your acne. It's all trial and error. I know, it's awful. Here are a few things I'd like to know before I offer any more advice:

What is your diet like? Whatever you put in your body, you usually end up sweating out. Sugar and dairy products can increase breakouts.

Have you tried using more organic or all natural methods?

Do you pick at or touch your face?

How often do you wash it, and what products do you currently use?

Do you change your pillowcase or sleep on a clean towel every night?

Have you seen a dermatologist?

I'm here for you, and would love to offer advice or help in any way I can. I understand what you're going through, and I know it's hard, but you have to be strong.

No diary products, just home cooked food for wxample potatoes, fish, rice, chicken etc. only drink juice and water.

I havent tried any natural or organic methods apart from aloe vera but that didnt work.

I dont pick my acne or ever touch my face and wash it twice a day, day and night.

I change my pillow cases every 2/3 days and i havent seen a dermatologist because my gp is taking the piss, she said she would reffer me to one months ago but i did not get any reply. I went to the gp again and asked to be reffered again and she said i will get a reply within the next 2 weeks so i am currently waiting..

MemberMember
(@acne30-2)

Posted : 12/23/2014 3:04 pm

Hey, how are you getting on?