Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Day 1, Hormonal Acne- 28 Yr Old Female

MemberMember
(@zeedub)

Posted : 09/27/2014 9:49 am

Hello everyone! I've been reading the forums for a while and just created an account so I can share my experience. I developed hormonal acne (annoying white bumps + painful cysts) on my lower cheeks and jawline, after stopping the birth control pill (Yasmin). I had been on the pill for over 10 years and my body went into shock when I stopped. I actually work in the skin care industry. I develop topical products (skin care, hair care, body care, makeup, OTCs, etc.) and call on a lot of beauty companies in person for work. When I first started breaking out I turned to my lab and tried the best available OTCs I could find. Nothing worked, and having to be the "face" of a beauty product manufacturer with zits on my face was giving me a lot of anxiety. "Buy our formulas, they're great. I know a lot about skin care. Trust me (don't look at my face.)"

So, I looked for a dermatologist. The first one told me to stop washing my face, stop using all products and to stop wearing makeup. Unfortunately this method wouldn't work for me because I don't live in a cave. I saw a new dermatologist and he was much more realistic. Over the past year I have tried: Doxycyline, Oral Erythromycin, Topical 1% Clindamycin, Spironolactone 100mg, Veltin, Birth Control AGAIN for 4 months before I realized I was making things worse (I never learn), High Frequency Machines, Facials with painful extractions, Pumpkin Peels, Zinc Supplements, Vitex, DIM, Vitamin B, the list goes on. All this did was make my skin angry.

I am now on my first day of Accutane 30mg. I only see people starting on either 20mg or 40mg but I wonder if I am on this weird dose because of my weight (100lbs).

Here are some of my concerns:

Anyone on here had success for hormonal acne with Accutane? It seems like it's harder to control and takes longer to improve.

Does anyone get headaches on Accutane, and if so, how do you handle them? I have a history of headaches and migraines, and I'm already feeling it with one dose (might be paranoia, or coincidence). I am allergic to NSAIDs so I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen. I want to stay away from Tylenol because, ya know. My liver.

Hair loss and Accutane. This is another one I'm worried about. My hair already thinned out a lot from going off the pill and I'm worried it will all be gone in about 2 months. If you did experience hair loss- was it drastic? Did it grow back?

Topical Retinol & Accutane¦My derm told me to continue using Veltin (Retinol + Clindamycin) while I take Accutane. Seems like overkill but I trust his opinion. Has anyone tried this? Did your face fall off?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for reading, and thank you all for sharing your stories. Everyone is so supportive on this website and it really helps me to read your comments.

post-425535-0-87479500-1411828813.jpg

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 09/27/2014 11:38 pm

Hey zeedub! I'm on day 5 of accutane, my acne is similar to yours! I get a bunch of cysts (cheeks & chin) that take forever to go away, and leave scars when they do.

Hoping I can answer some things!

"I am now on my first day of Accutane 30mg. I only see people starting on either 20mg or 40mg but I wonder if I am on this weird dose because of my weight (100lbs)."
I don't think its a weird dose, I'm 120lbs & on 40mg of accutane/day!

"Anyone on here had success for hormonal acne with Accutane? It seems like it's harder to control and takes longer to improve."
My acne is hormonal as well, I'm only on day 5 but I'm noticing that my cysts are deflating quickly, and the clogged pores I have are coming to the surface as blackheads, instead of the normal inflamed pimple that they usually are.

"Does anyone get headaches on Accutane, and if so, how do you handle them? I have a history of headaches and migraines, and I'm already feeling it with one dose (might be paranoia, or coincidence). I am allergic to NSAIDs so I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen. I want to stay away from Tylenol because, ya know. My liver."
Yes, I got headaches the first 2 days of taking accutane. I did take 1 tylenol/day during the first two days. After day 3, I'm headache free. I've read elsewhere that headaches can last up to a week (just browsing other peoples threads) and such. But I do *believe* that they go away, but don't quote me on that. Haha!

"Topical Retinol & AccutaneMy derm told me to continue using Veltin (Retinol + Clindamycin) while I take Accutane. Seems like overkill but I trust his opinion. Has anyone tried this? Did your face fall off?"
I've been on minocycline before, and my dermatologist told me not to take it with accutane. I've stopped using my topical gels as well (they didn't work on me anyways). But, I believe the clindamycin is supposed to help with the initial breakout period. As for the retinol, I think you should stay off of that. It will make your skin peel & it might be more sensitive if you do the combination of retinol & accutane. However, take what I say with a grain of salt because it may be the total opposite! Haha!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/28/2014 12:34 am

Drink water for the headaches and skip the coffee. Get plenty of sleep.

I also use prescription topicals (secretly- my derm doesn't know) and I'm fine.

For the hair, deep condition it and just comb it frequently to prevent tangles that lead to more breakage/hair loss.

Accutane is amazing for all types of acne, hormonal included.

MemberMember
(@zeedub)

Posted : 09/28/2014 9:19 pm

Thanks for responding!

to Skaims: I'm glad to hear Accutane is working for you! I am now on day 3 and you're right- the headache has passed. I'm so relieved. I've used the Veltin the past couple nights, but I think I will give it a rest. Since Veltin is a combination of Retinol and Clindamycin, I can't really discontinue the Retinol without giving up the antibiotic too. My skin is a little flaky but not terrible. The "active" spots I have are drying up and flattening out a little, and the skin on top of them is shedding.

to GetMeTheResults: Thanks for the tips. I got a keratin smoothing treatment earlier in the week to try to detangle my hair a little (it's curly) so hopefully that will help. Were you able to control your Initial Breakout using the methods you listed?

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 09/30/2014 3:43 pm

Its september 30th, and I believe today will be day 8 (or 7). Anywho, I've noticed around day 4/5 that my skin was getting flaky, but its totally not noticeable until I use foundation/concealer. I've recently re-discovered my beauty blender which helps a lot with hiding the flakiness. But do you have any recommendations on foundations/concealers for dry skin?

Haha, I feel like I"m using your thread as my own update thread!

Edit:

I totally forgot to mention that I was quite oily before accutane. I also had a lot of clogged/blocked pores that are now surfacing. I have no new breakouts as of yet. But I did have a cystic acne on my chin that I got a day before I started acctuane, which cleared up in 3 days instead of the usual 2-3 weeks. I also had a swollen pimple on my cheek, which I couldn't help but pop yesterday. Its now flat, but I'm gonna try not to pop pimples anymore!

MemberMember
(@audraluc)

Posted : 10/03/2014 8:29 am

Hi girls. I am in the same boat- been on spiro for two years but hardly seeing results- so I am debating about Accutane but a little scared. This thread is super helpful so pleaseeeeee keep updating!! At 28, we shouldn't have to deal with this. I am getting married in a year and a half and pray my skin is better by then.

MemberMember
(@zeedub)

Posted : 10/06/2014 11:10 pm

AHhh- the search for the perfect makeup! My skin is somehow both oily AND dry now. It is flaky but a little oily, so I switched to a different foundation. Previously I was using Perricone No Foundation Serum, but I found it was a little too sheer and I ended up having to wear more concealer. I started using Revlon Color Stay Foundation for normal skin (weird, I know) and it's been working wonders. It stays on all day and it doesn't seem to bother my skin. I would think it would be drying but it isn't at all. It's my favorite new product! I use it with the beauty blender (or knock-off beauty blender) and it blends evenly and looks pretty good. So good, that when I washed my face this evening and looked in the mirror I was a little disappointed to remember all the stuff I had underneath it. I have a long way to go to clear these red marks! But truly- I have tried every BB cream under the sun, every expensive tinted moisturizerthis Revlon stuff is awesome.

some sad news (for me):

I am on day 10 and my doctor has told me to discontinue the Accutane, due to hair loss. I don't know if it's the Accutane alone, or if it's something that is being aggravated by the Accutane. My hair seems to be VERY sensitive to any kind of medication and I was just starting to grow it back after a terrible 3 month reaction to a migraine medicine. I don't want to stop this drug because it feels like my last hope, but my doctor said it's back to Spiro and topical retinol for me. I guess Accutane doesn't work for everyone. It's disappointing because the bumps on my face were finally flattening out, and I was starting to feel confident. I hadn't seen my boyfriend in 2 weeks and he complimented my skin. WITHOUT MAKEUP. I almost cried. But if I complete the course of Accutane and I end up bald, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Audruluc- Congratulations on your engagement! I haven't been on Accutane very long, so I'm not an expert, but it's worth a try if the Spiro isn't working for you. One of the reasons I wanted to take Accutane is because I didn't like the idea of being on Spironolactone for the rest of my life. That, and it wasn't really working for me. I may have to wait a little longer to see results. I've heard it can take 6 months for the Spiro to work. I was only on it for 2 months before Accutane. I used to get really big painful jawline cysts that would take forever to go away, and I've noticed with the Spiro these are not as inflamed and go away much faster. However, the non-inflammatory acne is still there. I still get clogged pores and little bumps that look like milia, but eventually transform into who-knows-what.

For now my plan is to increase the Spiro back to 100mg (I was tapering off of it while starting Accutane), and continue using the Veltin topically. I don't really know what else can be done. Wish me luck.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/19/2014 1:02 am

You can always wear a wig from natural hair and no one would be able to tell. But there aren't cover ups for the face other than makeup....

Mine sheds too, but I braid it.