Notifications
Clear all

Help! Accutane-Induced Keratitis In My Eye (Dry Eye Blurry Vision)

MemberMember
(@glitznzits)

Posted : 09/22/2014 8:07 pm

Hi there,

I have been taking accutane (asorica brand, month 1 40mgs/day month 2 50mgs/day) for 1 month and 3 weeks. I began to notice some blurred vision in my right eye a few weeks ago and headed to the optometrist to get it checked out. She said i had some minor keratits due to dryness and told me to use OTC drops 4X a day and take fish oil. No change after 2 weeks so I went back today and she said the keratis had gotten worse. She prescribed steroid drops and is calling my derm to ask if I should stop use or reduce dosage. I am so bummed out about the possibility of having to stop tane so soon and relapse when I'm already making good progress and terrified that I'll end up never being able to tolerate contact lenses again... and end up with acne AND glasses, worse than where I started Has anyone else experienced this keratits? Anyone have to stop tane early, and did it end up helping at all?

Thanks so much in advance.

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 03/19/2015 6:19 am

Hi there,

I have been taking accutane (asorica brand, month 1 40mgs/day month 2 50mgs/day) for 1 month and 3 weeks. I began to notice some blurred vision in my right eye a few weeks ago and headed to the optometrist to get it checked out. She said i had some minor keratits due to dryness and told me to use OTC drops 4X a day and take fish oil. No change after 2 weeks so I went back today and she said the keratis had gotten worse. She prescribed steroid drops and is calling my derm to ask if I should stop use or reduce dosage. I am so bummed out about the possibility of having to stop tane so soon and relapse when I'm already making good progress and terrified that I'll end up never being able to tolerate contact lenses again... and end up with acne AND glasses, worse than where I started Has anyone else experienced this keratits? Anyone have to stop tane early, and did it end up helping at all?

Hi there. I wanted to know if you have any updates with your eyes and skin? Did you end up finishing your course or did you have to temporarily stop?

I'm about to finish my first month (80 mg/day) and I had really dry eyes too. My optometrist said I had keratitis, so I've been putting eye drops + gel drops in my eyes religiously. Just wanted to hear an update from another person.

Hope you're feeling better!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 03/19/2015 8:22 am

I dont know if i have keratits but i went to the eye dr for very dry eyes

It hit pretty bad by my 3rd mnth of tane

I was told to use drops every 2 hrs and at night i have an ointment to put in my eyes

I also use warm compress am and pm on my eyes

its helped..I still have some days that are more of a struggle

but i have 2 mnths left of tane and want to get it behind me!

kim

MemberMember
(@glitznzits)

Posted : 03/19/2015 2:16 pm

Hi there,

Hi there. I wanted to know if you have any updates with your eyes and skin? Did you end up finishing your course or did you have to temporarily stop?

I'm about to finish my first month (80 mg/day) and I had really dry eyes too. My optometrist said I had keratitis, so I've been putting eye drops + gel drops in my eyes religiously. Just wanted to hear an update from another person.

Hi molarbear

sorry but I only have bad news :( i came back in for a checkup 2 weeks later and it had gotten worse, so they took me off accutane permanently after only 5 weeks. needless to say my acne came back 100% after a couple of months and while my keratitis did heal completely my eyes have been dry and irritable since and I can only handle wearing my contacts for a few hours at a time without lots of eyedrops. now i get to be a pizza face and a four-eyes and my last great hope is gone. im like a miserable teen again, at least before tane i didn't have glasses...

i would strongly suggest taking a break from tane to let the keratitis heal then going back on at a LOW dose. if I hadn't let my derm go balls-to-the-wall on my dosage i'd probably be acne-free and wearing my contacts right now...

good luck and let me know how it goes!

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 03/29/2015 3:50 pm

Hi there,

Hi molarbear

sorry but I only have bad news :( i came back in for a checkup 2 weeks later and it had gotten worse, so they took me off accutane permanently after only 5 weeks. needless to say my acne came back 100% after a couple of months and while my keratitis did heal completely my eyes have been dry and irritable since and I can only handle wearing my contacts for a few hours at a time without lots of eyedrops. now i get to be a pizza face and a four-eyes and my last great hope is gone. im like a miserable teen again, at least before tane i didn't have glasses...

i would strongly suggest taking a break from tane to let the keratitis heal then going back on at a LOW dose. if I hadn't let my derm go balls-to-the-wall on my dosage i'd probably be acne-free and wearing my contacts right now...

Oh wow. I;m so sorry to hear that :/ I do hope things are looking up better for you. Maybe something can work out in the near future?

Thanks for your input. When I was having dry eye issues, I had a mild eye infection (because my eyes were so dry and susceptible to dust/bacteria) that was easily cured by antibiotics. My optometrist also gave me gel eye drops. After using those for 2 weeks, my eyes were fine. Dryness all gone.

However, just 2 days ago, I think I got another eye infection. Still nothing bad, but I can tell when my eyes are acting up. Redness, discharge and watery. I'm going to go to an ophthalmologist soon to see what they can say. My acne has definitely cleared up which is amazing, but I hope it's not at the expense of my eyes. If my eye issues continues, I will most definitely lower my accutane dosage.

MemberMember
(@glitznzits)

Posted : 03/30/2015 4:18 pm

Hi there,

Hi molarbear

Oh wow. I;m so sorry to hear that :/ I do hope things are looking up better for you. Maybe something can work out in the near future?

Thanks for your input. When I was having dry eye issues, I had a mild eye infection (because my eyes were so dry and susceptible to dust/bacteria) that was easily cured by antibiotics. My optometrist also gave me gel eye drops. After using those for 2 weeks, my eyes were fine. Dryness all gone.

However, just 2 days ago, I think I got another eye infection. Still nothing bad, but I can tell when my eyes are acting up. Redness, discharge and watery. I'm going to go to an ophthalmologist soon to see what they can say. My acne has definitely cleared up which is amazing, but I hope it's not at the expense of my eyes. If my eye issues continues, I will most definitely lower my accutane dosage.

Good to hear that yours cleared up easily! Mine was not an infection, it was just from dryness alone. A lot of people do have dry eye during accutane that goes away, and for a lot of people it doesn't. I just had another checkup with my optometrist today actually and he said that my "corneas were beautiful" lol...!! Something every girl wants to hear! haha! So hopefully I can go back to contacts more often. I'm also working an office job which I haven't really done before ande the bright lights and computer time isn't helping I think.

Definitely keep tabs on things. the goal is to stay on accutane long enough to finish the course and to not get any permanent side effects.

I just started using tazorac gel (a topical so strong i had to import it from France to ireland and its not even cleared to put on your face in the EU! though common in the states) and taking some supplements (cod liver oil and zinc) so we'll see if that helps the acne any. I'm currently peeling like wild which is really bringing me back to those few weeks on 'tane...!

Again good luck and I really hope it works out for you!!

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 04/17/2015 8:34 am

I am also one of the people who can never be on accutane again due to it causing chronic dry eye. I am one year post accutane and I still cannot wear contacts. I take perscription eye drops daily and have had to get punctal plugs put in my eyes. Accutane wrecked my eyes.

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 04/24/2015 10:17 pm

I am also one of the people who can never be on accutane again due to it causing chronic dry eye. I am one year post accutane and I still cannot wear contacts. I take perscription eye drops daily and have had to get punctal plugs put in my eyes. Accutane wrecked my eyes.

:/ So sorry to hear about this. After having plugs, did it hope your dry eye issue? I just went to my ophthalmologist 2 days ago and he said I have blepharitis. I know it's a common symptom, but it's definitely concerning. I just hope it doesn't worsen, since I just started month 3.

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 04/25/2015 12:19 am

:/ So sorry to hear about this. After having plugs, did it hope your dry eye issue? I just went to my ophthalmologist 2 days ago and he said I have blepharitis. I know it's a common symptom, but it's definitely concerning. I just hope it doesn't worsen, since I just started month 3.

MolarBear- my eyes have gotten better, but I'm still in pain. I do not believe they will ever fully heal though. HOWEVER, if I were you, I would not panic. It's extremely rare for the dry eye to not go away after accutane like mine. Best of luck to you on your accutane journey!