Notifications
Clear all

First Time Roaccutane User Support Needed!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/22/2014 12:07 pm

Hi all,

Just took my first roaccutane, I'm on 20mg ever other day for a month then review.

Trying to be positive and focus on the long term results. I am aware of all the side effects and I am avoiding the scare stories as this put me off taking it four years ago.

My acne is nodulocystic with pustule and comedones (according to my dermatologist.

I have stocked up on lip balm, sun cream and cleanser and moisturises. Can anyone recommend a shower gel?

Hoping for some moral support on here and some much needed guidance and advice when needed!!!

Wish me luck and take a peek at my skin the day before roaccutane.post-409600-0-46372200-1411405602_thumb.post-409600-0-46372200-1411405602_thumb.post-409600-0-46372200-1411405602_thumb.

MemberMember
(@mozzy)

Posted : 09/22/2014 12:41 pm

Hi, Just want to give you some encouragement on your journey.

Both my daughter and myself have taken isotretinoin with excellent result and very minor side effects such as chapped lips and achy joints but we'd suffer those ailments any day of the week rather than the painful skin condition that is acne..

Both our journeys were back in 2012. I was on 20mg every other day for the first month also. I hope you can access my blog for this experience then you can read how well it worked for me. I think I ended up with 2 blog accounts but there's only a couple of posts in one but many more in the other so I hope you can find the right one. I'm not very good with computers so I don't know how to delete that surplus account!!

Feel free to reply or message me on here if you're in any doubt or just need someone to chat to. All the best x

MemberMember
(@11111111111111)

Posted : 09/22/2014 1:22 pm

I think it's best that you slowly get your body used to the medicine with every other day. Your initial breakout as well as side effects (if you get any) may not be as bad! I will begin Accutane in 2 weeks, and so far, I've gathered that Aquaphor is great for lips, CeraVe for face and body, and just keep vaseline with you at all times! Best of luck! Remember: NO acne!!!!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/23/2014 5:29 am

Hi, Just want to give you some encouragement on your journey.

Both my daughter and myself have taken isotretinoin with excellent result and very minor side effects such as chapped lips and achy joints but we'd suffer those ailments any day of the week rather than the painful skin condition that is acne..

Both our journeys were back in 2012. I was on 20mg every other day for the first month also. I hope you can access my blog for this experience then you can read how well it worked for me. I think I ended up with 2 blog accounts but there's only a couple of posts in one but many more in the other so I hope you can find the right one. I'm not very good with computers so I don't know how to delete that surplus account!!

Feel free to reply or message me on here if you're in any doubt or just need someone to chat to. All the best x

Thanks for your support! It is a daunting time and it helps to chat with people who have been there!!

mozzy liked
MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/23/2014 6:04 am

I think it's best that you slowly get your body used to the medicine with every other day. Your initial breakout as well as side effects (if you get any) may not be as bad! I will begin Accutane in 2 weeks, and so far, I've gathered that Aquaphor is great for lips, CeraVe for face and body, and just keep vaseline with you at all times! Best of luck! Remember: NO acne!!!!

Thanks for your reply, what doseage do you start on? Is it your 1st time?

MemberMember
(@mozzy)

Posted : 09/23/2014 7:42 am

I forgot to add that my daughter has just completed her second week on 30mg on her second course of isotretinoin. She was treated successfully in 2012 but unfortunately has had to have another course as a "top up"! She had no hesitation in taking the medication again as she had brilliant results the first time and I'm sure it'll work just as well this time. Good luck with everyone who is taking this life saving product and don't forget you're not alone! X

MemberMember
(@11111111111111)

Posted : 09/23/2014 8:54 am

I'll be starting at 80mg and this is my first time! I'm nervous but excited to begin my journey to clear skin!

Here's my blog if you have any advice!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blog/8058/entry-29574-accutane/

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/23/2014 11:37 am

I'll be starting at 80mg and this is my first time! I'm nervous but excited to begin my journey to clear skin!

Here's my blog if you have any advice!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blog/8058/entry-29574-accutane/

Wow that's a big dose, i imagine your acne is much more severe than mine.

Good luck on it.

I have felt very sickly and had a bad head today. I'm sure it's not the roaccutane having only taken one (due next one tomorrow). I'm blaming how I feel in Post holiday blues after being back in work today after a fabulous week off In the Canary Islands. This Brittish rain is enough to make anyone sick!

I forgot to add that my daughter has just completed her second week on 30mg on her second course of isotretinoin. She was treated successfully in 2012 but unfortunately has had to have another course as a "top up"! She had no hesitation in taking the medication again as she had brilliant results the first time and I'm sure it'll work just as well this time. Good luck with everyone who is taking this life saving product and don't forget you're not alone! X

Thanks for the positive post! Hope all goes well for your daughter!

mozzy liked
MemberMember
(@11111111111111)

Posted : 09/24/2014 1:17 pm

I think returning to work after a vacation would take its toll on ALL of us! Try and stay as positive as possible. Indulge a bit on comfort things like some pumpkin coffee or dark chocolate - whatever helps lift your spirits & take your mind off the medicine.

Yes, my acne is moderate to severe so we're starting strong. Go big or go home, right?!

MemberMember
(@emilylu)

Posted : 09/24/2014 1:29 pm

I started my accutane treatment (Absorica) on August 5th on 20mg/daily. I am now almost through my second month and on 40mg/daily. Next month I will get bumped up to 60mg. I have found Dr. Dan's cortibalm and aquaphor to be best for my lips. I wash my face and body with Dove beauty bar and moisturize my face with CeraVe and my body with vaseline lotion. I haven't had any drying of the skin at all yet. I'm just not oily anymore! YAY. But my lips are soooo dry. My acne calmed down a lot && cleared up by about week 6. I still get minor break outs but nothing bad and they heal soo fast. I'll have a zit one day, go to bed, wake up and its completely gone. I also had little bumps ALL over my cheeks and chin and those are all gone now too. Feel free to ask me any questions!! I have found forums and other users to be soo helpful, I can only wish to do the same for others!

I'm so excited for your results!!! You are beautiful!!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/25/2014 9:47 am

I started my accutane treatment (Absorica) on August 5th on 20mg/daily. I am now almost through my second month and on 40mg/daily. Next month I will get bumped up to 60mg. I have found Dr. Dan's cortibalm and aquaphor to be best for my lips. I wash my face and body with Dove beauty bar and moisturize my face with CeraVe and my body with vaseline lotion. I haven't had any drying of the skin at all yet. I'm just not oily anymore! YAY. But my lips are soooo dry. My acne calmed down a lot && cleared up by about week 6. I still get minor break outs but nothing bad and they heal soo fast. I'll have a zit one day, go to bed, wake up and its completely gone. I also had little bumps ALL over my cheeks and chin and those are all gone now too. Feel free to ask me any questions!! I have found forums and other users to be soo helpful, I can only wish to do the same for others!

I'm so excited for your results!!! You are beautiful!!

Thanks for that!

I'm 20 mg every other day and due to take my third pill tomorrow.

I have a cold sore today which is annoying, lips dry, scalp itchy and tired. Had a full on migraine the day after my 1st pill but I do suffer from migarines anyway so trying not to balme this on the roaccutane. No new spots but I feel like the ones I do have are coming to a head a lot quicker now! I had cysts under my skin for month before accutane. My skin feels weird also, it's like the texture feels different. I know i'm only two pills in so maybe it's psychological??

So can't wait for the oil to dry up, I still look like I have cleansed in lard, my skin is so oily that people often ask if i'm ok as it looks like i have full on beads of sweat on my face!!!!!

Glad your acne is calming down. Here is hoping for acne free skin!!!

Em.

mozzy liked
MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/26/2014 10:41 am

Five days in, 20mg ever other day. Cold sore grown, clusters of pimples on head. Cystic ones shrinking but not healing well.

Alternating between cetaohil and quinoderm face wash. Alternating between cetophil and aloe vera moisturizers. Not treating spots as yet.

Very tired, nothing out of the ordinary to report. See photos for current state of skin which is no worse than pre accutane

post-409600-0-58128700-1411746083_thumb.

post-409600-0-39128800-1411746105_thumb.

MemberMember
(@amesh)

Posted : 09/26/2014 2:08 pm

Hi there!

I have just started too! Am on 20 mg a day for the first month. Started on september the 17th so on day 10. Like you the first 3 days I just felt a bit strange but probably because I was expecting something to happen! Lips are very dry which seems the standard. Had a breakout on day 6 but has calmed down already. Have felt quite groggy the last few days, very tired but hoping it's just a bug and not the pills! As went out shopping today and literally gave up half way through primark! Not like me at all!

Good luck everyone!

Great to have a place like this to read everyone's journey :-)

Amy xx

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/28/2014 6:22 am

Hi there!

I have just started too! Am on 20 mg a day for the first month. Started on september the 17th so on day 10. Like you the first 3 days I just felt a bit strange but probably because I was expecting something to happen! Lips are very dry which seems the standard. Had a breakout on day 6 but has calmed down already. Have felt quite groggy the last few days, very tired but hoping it's just a bug and not the pills! As went out shopping today and literally gave up half way through primark! Not like me at all!

Good luck everyone!

Great to have a place like this to read everyone's journey :-)

Amy xx

Nice to hear from you and share the journey!!

Keep in touch with your updates!

I have a slight breakout, got four on my chin this morning. Due to take 20mg tonight and have done a week now on every other day.

Moods fine and nothing odd to report. Tired and feeling a little sick in the morning after I have taken the 20mg. All manageable and lips slightly dry.

Em x

MemberMember
(@jane55878991)

Posted : 09/28/2014 11:44 am

Hello

I started on accutane about 2 and a half weeks ago, beginning with 20mg a day, and at this stage the plan is to increase to 40mg a day at the 4 week mark. My dermatologist and I are keen to increase the dosage again after 40mg to 60mg a day.

This is not my first time taking accutane, which for me is really helping with my nerves - although side effects can change the second time around, I still feel like I know what I'm in for. And if it's anything like last time, it will be worth it.

It's been 5 years since I finished my first round of accutane, and I still remember getting used to the feeling of having clear skin, and how accutane was the best decision I could have made, and getting through the side effects/missing out on being outdoors (I live in Australia so this is a tough one!) was worth having clear skin, my confidence back, plus I saved money from all of the lotions/potions and facials I had been having for years. I didn't really understand how accutane worked then, and once my skin was clear for a few months I stopped taking the accuatane (probably why I am now back on it).

Side effects can vary for everyone, currently I am experiencing similar side effects to last time. Really dry, cracked lips, my skin is pretty sensitive but at this stage it is not bothering me, just feels a little more fragile the usual. Plus I'm really sensitive to the sun. Also, I feel like I have a little less energy and need more sleep than usual, and my hair is less greasy (all same as last time). My skin has broken out a little, but feels like it may be settling down, or it could be the calm before the storm!

Products that I bought in preparation - this time around I'm prepared

Lips - auqphore, when I can't find it I use carmex

Avene skin products, really great products for dry, very dry, irritated and sensitive skin

Eye drops - which I haven't needed yet (last time I needed them within the first 2 weeks)

New makeup, for if or when my skin becomes really dry

SFP of face an body

Goodluck on your journey, try to keep focused on the end result if you find yourself struggling with side effects, and update your dermatologist on all of your side effects, including any change in mood.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 09/29/2014 2:53 am

Hello

I started on accutane about 2 and a half weeks ago, beginning with 20mg a day, and at this stage the plan is to increase to 40mg a day at the 4 week mark. My dermatologist and I are keen to increase the dosage again after 40mg to 60mg a day.

This is not my first time taking accutane, which for me is really helping with my nerves - although side effects can change the second time around, I still feel like I know what I'm in for. And if it's anything like last time, it will be worth it.

It's been 5 years since I finished my first round of accutane, and I still remember getting used to the feeling of having clear skin, and how accutane was the best decision I could have made, and getting through the side effects/missing out on being outdoors (I live in Australia so this is a tough one!) was worth having clear skin, my confidence back, plus I saved money from all of the lotions/potions and facials I had been having for years. I didn't really understand how accutane worked then, and once my skin was clear for a few months I stopped taking the accuatane (probably why I am now back on it).

Side effects can vary for everyone, currently I am experiencing similar side effects to last time. Really dry, cracked lips, my skin is pretty sensitive but at this stage it is not bothering me, just feels a little more fragile the usual. Plus I'm really sensitive to the sun. Also, I feel like I have a little less energy and need more sleep than usual, and my hair is less greasy (all same as last time). My skin has broken out a little, but feels like it may be settling down, or it could be the calm before the storm!

Products that I bought in preparation - this time around I'm prepared

Lips - auqphore, when I can't find it I use carmex

Avene skin products, really great products for dry, very dry, irritated and sensitive skin

Eye drops - which I haven't needed yet (last time I needed them within the first 2 weeks)

New makeup, for if or when my skin becomes really dry

SFP of face an body

Goodluck on your journey, try to keep focused on the end result if you find yourself struggling with side effects, and update your dermatologist on all of your side effects, including any change in mood.

Thanks for your post Jane,

I find it really encouraging to read thatyu had five years success with treatment!!! You hit the nail on the head regarding money spent on lotions, potions and facial treatments. I would not like to count the money I wasted on vitamins, dermabrasion, chemical peels and general skin care.

I'm on 20mg every other day and feeling like I want to run before I can walk!!! I have only had four pills over a week and i'm feeling fine, which is giving me a false sense of security!

I have new spots daily, almost the time of the month so it is hard to distinguish between if the accutane is pushing them out or if it's just a general hormonal breakout?!

Most of the big ones have come to head and popped whilst I have been washing my face. I have very gently applied pressure to these and got most of the junk out.

Skin does not seem to be scarring as much and i'm finding that these cystic ones are really coming to a head, as pre accutane they would be trapped for months under my skin and become painful.

Hoping for every success with your treatement.

MemberMember
(@pickledonion)

Posted : 09/30/2014 3:53 pm

Hello!

I'm a first time Roaccutane user too and my acne looks exactly the same as yours!!!! I too have put this off for years (had acne now for about 12 years, tried everything-prescription, OTC, herbal, diet, expensive products, home remedies etc......). I recently developed the worst skin I have ever had, to the point of absolute desperation which kind of sealed the deal for me really..... So here I am.... Really nervous and praying that it doesn't all get worse before it gets better!!

I am day 7 taking 30mg a day. So far so good.

Main thing at the moment is keeping my lips moisturised all the time. I'm using Aquaphor or Vaseline.

Spots wise I don't think they worse than they would be otherwise, but am dreading it getting worse over the next few weeks. My main fear is how I'll wear foundation if my skin is peeling!? I can't bear the thought of not being able to cover it all up. My face does feel tighter tonight and I had a slight panic that this is really happening!!!

I hope you are getting on ok

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 10/01/2014 4:14 am

Hello!

I'm a first time Roaccutane user too and my acne looks exactly the same as yours!!!! I too have put this off for years (had acne now for about 12 years, tried everything-prescription, OTC, herbal, diet, expensive products, home remedies etc......). I recently developed the worst skin I have ever had, to the point of absolute desperation which kind of sealed the deal for me really..... So here I am.... Really nervous and praying that it doesn't all get worse before it gets better!!

I am day 7 taking 30mg a day. So far so good.

Main thing at the moment is keeping my lips moisturised all the time. I'm using Aquaphor or Vaseline.

Spots wise I don't think they worse than they would be otherwise, but am dreading it getting worse over the next few weeks. My main fear is how I'll wear foundation if my skin is peeling!? I can't bear the thought of not being able to cover it all up. My face does feel tighter tonight and I had a slight panic that this is really happening!!!

I hope you are getting on ok

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

It is a strange time for us first timers!!

I'm the same as you, keeping lips moisturised. I'm on 20mg every other day and not experiencing any major side effects. I'm noticing my skin is much more oilier, and trust me my skin was very oily before roaccutane.

Acne is spreading down my jawline now and i have one that is slightly painful.

Keep your skin mositurised, i use cetaphil and i have been able to wear foundation.

I'm having makeup freee weekends and have actually been out to the shops without make up on which is a first for me. Think the roaccuatane is giving me confidence as i really feel this is going to work for me!

Wishing you the best of luck on your roaccuaten journey and hope to see your results soon.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 10/03/2014 4:03 am

update:

Been on 20mg every other day since the 22nd of September, quite shocked to say that I am seeing improvements all ready. Is this normal???

Had minor outbreaks for a week and a half and still have active acne but my skin does look better, even my husband commented on this.

Would love to hear from people on a dose similar to myself.

Emma. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@saraheliza)

Posted : 10/04/2014 1:55 am

Hi Emma!

I am so thankful I found this post, it has been very helpful! A bit of background on my acne. I just turned 22 and have had severe acne only on my chin (a few on my forehead) for the last 10-11 months only. I never and any skin problems up until then, just the occasional spot before my period I guess. So going from nothing to what I have out of now where was just horrible

I also am on 20mg per day, currently on day ten. I was very apprehensive and nervous about starting, but so far so good. I have had the dry lips/eyes and some peeling, which I can cope with fine. However I have had quite bad lower back pain and I have felt so so sore all over and tired, as well as my face feeling very hot/flushed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I think it will be worth it though, it's only day ten and my chin has completely flattened out amazingly! There are some red spots left and over all redness and sensitivity. Is it supposed to work this fast?! I am worried there is a breakout coming...

I am so excited to soon not have to wear make up again and also want to actually leave the house for reasons other than university/work. SO FINGERS CROSSED FOR US ALL!!

I'll attach a photo of my acne from about 4 weeks ago.

Sarah x

post-427179-0-78388900-1412405565.jpg

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 10/04/2014 10:12 am

Hi Emma!

I am so thankful I found this post, it has been very helpful! A bit of background on my acne. I just turned 22 and have had severe acne only on my chin (a few on my forehead) for the last 10-11 months only. I never and any skin problems up until then, just the occasional spot before my period I guess. So going from nothing to what I have out of now where was just horrible sad.png

I also am on 20mg per day, currently on day ten. I was very apprehensive and nervous about starting, but so far so good. I have had the dry lips/eyes and some peeling, which I can cope with fine. However I have had quite bad lower back pain and I have felt so so sore all over and tired, as well as my face feeling very hot/flushed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I think it will be worth it though, it's only day ten and my chin has completely flattened out amazingly! There are some red spots left and over all redness and sensitivity. Is it supposed to work this fast?! I am worried there is a breakout coming...

I am so excited to soon not have to wear make up again and also want to actually leave the house for reasons other than university/work. SO FINGERS CROSSED FOR US ALL!!

I'll attach a photo of my acne from about 4 weeks ago.

Sarah x

attachicon.gifacne.jpg

Hi Eliza,

So glad you have found the posts!

Glad you are seeing improvements with your skin! My confidence is getting much better and i actually went to Tesco this morning without make up on!!!

I understand what you mean about being able to go to other places other than Uni, I have had some dark days in the past whereby once weekend came I did not leave the house until work on a Monday morning :-(

Regarding your side effects, I'm only on 20mg every other day and other than dry lips, Itchy skin and eyes and the occasional headache I have not experienced what you have.

I would imagine the side effects are manageable for you and worth baring with considering the change in your skin.

We have similar acne and like yourself mine hit me unexpectedly in my 20's, I'm now 36 and enough is enough!

I escaped teenage acne and having had horrifically oily skin has spared me lines that my peers have! There are ups and downs with having this skin type.

Please keep in touch as I'm intrested in following your progress Eliza. I will attach a pic of my skin today so you can see the improvement.

Emma.

Progress: started on 22nd of September, today's skin 3rd of October

post-409600-0-20437900-1412435492_thumb.

post-409600-0-96953900-1412435510_thumb.

post-409600-0-00871300-1412435526_thumb.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 10/05/2014 10:13 am

Feeling rough today. Had bad headache all day and so very tired.

Feel like I have a hangover :(

MemberMember
(@amesh)

Posted : 10/05/2014 2:29 pm

Hi everyone

I'm now on day 18 (20mg per day). My lips are very sore with cracking in the corners. Sometimes they feel raw rather than dry :-/

but I'm slapping on the balms and serums. I actually quite like maybelline baby lips electro pink balm as it's more like a lipstick the colour seems to disguise the White colour the dryness is giving me.

I'm also experiencing a flushed face. So much so that I look sunburned (and quite odd! It gave my boyfriend a laugh anyway!) I havent really been outside and wear spf so shouldn't be sunburn. My mum says it makes my teeth look whiter so thumbs up for that!

No real improvements in skin yet but being patient. Pores seem to be smaller across my cheeks I hope this continues.

Had a bout of indigestion on day 12 and 13. Is it related? I'm not sure! I read that it can give you a feeling of 'fullness'.

Also my energy levels/ motivation in general seem to be challenged too. I'm normally fairly active but at the moment I find I'm quite happy just to sit. Could be the time of year tho? It's hard to know. Let's just say I'm being easy on myself :-).

Have my first appointment with derm on 13th this month. After that tho I have a trip to Las Vegas planned (7 of us for a 30th birthday booked earlier in the year during my 8 month wait for a derm appointment!) it's sooo bad timing and I know that' it's going to throw all sorts of spanners my way re: drinking and sun exposure. Any tips on how to cope with a sun holiday welcome! Have invested in cover ups and total sun block.

How is everyone else getting on? How long do you think you'll be on the treatment?

Amy xxx

MemberMember
(@saraheliza)

Posted : 10/06/2014 3:45 am

Hi everyone,

Im having a pretty rough time too...really sore bones and muscles, especially my lower back. My face is SO red still.

Emma- Sorry to hear you're having a tough day, have you discovered anything to help with your side effects?

Amy- You seem to be having similar side effects to me. Im so jealous you're going to Las Vegas! I would suggest wearing a big floppy hat and sun glasses! Please keep us updated on your progress

Sarah x

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 10/06/2014 4:13 am

Hi,

Amesh, I can't advise on the sun, I live in bleak England so I have not experinced being on roaccutane and the sun.

I can identify with the energy levels to some extent. Doing household chores absolutley exhausted me this weekend. I have the energy but doing what I class as 'normal ever day' chores wipes me out.

I work 8-4pm, and have an hours drive in and an hour home. Come 6 pm I'm ready for bed. I can manage this though.

My skin feel tight and has a slight burn feeling to it, although there is no visible redness. I blame this on the change in weather as the temperature has dropped this weekend, it's 50f today.

Regarding alcohol, I would strongly reccomend not to. I think the liver has enough to cope with on this drug wothout processing alcohol. I have been out twice in two weeks and not had a drop of alcohol.

Emma.

Hi Sarah,

How are you managing in the Australian sun? I started roaccutane after a weeks holiday in the sun as I was scared to be on it whilst in the canary Islands.
We are in the midst of autumn/winter here in England and i'ts quite cold.

What dose are you on??

I am on my 3rd week of 20mg every other day, I think i'm fortunate in that I have not had any major side effects other than feeling exhausted and having a two day headache.

Hoping everyone has success on this drug!!

Looking forward to seeing your progress

Emma.