Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yarm

Off Minocycline for a week with no breakout

I've been using a combination of Cetaphil, Retin-A Micro, and Minocycline for several years now. About a week ago I ran out of the Minocycline and I haven't had time to get a refill. The strange thing is that my skin hasn't seemed to breakout (I'm still using the retin-A and cetaphil). Should I get back on the Minocycline just to be safe? Or should I just stick to the Retin-A now?

I've been using a combination of Cetaphil, Retin-A Micro, and Minocycline for several years now. About a week ago I ran out of the Minocycline and I haven't had time to get a refill. The strange thing is that my skin hasn't seemed to breakout (I'm still using the retin-A and cetaphil). Should I get back on the Minocycline just to be safe? Or should I just stick to the Retin-A now?

Earlier this year I was on benzamycin gel and erythromycin twice a day. My doctor took me off the erythromycin as I'd been on it for 6 months and my breakouts reduced every week for about 3 months till i was fairly clear which I thought was great and I even turned down roaccutane because things were going so well. Then I started breaking out again and had to go on antibiotics. The last time I saw a derm she put me on differin, which is a retinoid similair to retin-a, and antibiotics and said in the future the differin may have cleaned my pores out so much and calmed down the shedding of my skin cells, that I probably wouldn't need any antibiotics as my pores might be sorted enough. But i'd check with your derm or doctor. Acne can take upto 3 months to form so you might start breaking out again in the future or you could stay clear. Its up to you to decide what to do!

I think antibiotics stay in the body for a few weeks, which makes sense if you have been taking them non stop for months.

If I were you, leave the minocyn for now. If there is no breakout then great! you don't need the minocyn. But if you breakout, you might wanna go back on.

i have been on minocyclin for about 2 years now, and i ran into the same situation as u, and just thought well maybe i wait a lil bit to see if i break out. and for like a week and a half my skin was beautiful, no breakouts, and it was just beautiful....but then bam! my breakouts came back, and it wasn't pretty! so i suggest stayin on mino! Good luck!