Notifications
Clear all

How To Live Your Life Despite Acne?

MemberMember
(@kay789)

Posted : 09/20/2014 11:14 pm

i've struggled aggressively with acne for the last 12 years or so.

I have not given up on getting rid of my acne - I am still trying everything I can.

However, I have not had clear skin in a very long time and it is unlikely that is going to change very soon.

I do research... I have lots of theories on how to clear my skin, and I am trying them systematically. What I need is advice on how to live with acne - how to not let acne control my life, how to not let it cause constant anxiety and depression, and how to be happy despite my skin.

I keep googling 'how to not let acne control my life' and 'how to live life despite bad skin' and things like that, but I just keep finding articles with amateur acne tips (like change your pillowcase every night - why did I not think of that? ).

Does anybody have any advice or resources on how to live with acne?

Additionally, has anyone consulted some sort of psychologist about this issue? If so, was it helpful?

MemberMember
(@khaled91)

Posted : 09/21/2014 5:16 am

Speaking of personal experience the only thing that makes it a little bit easier to cope with acne is get what's bothering me off my chest by talking to someone I know is considerate and vent out my problems and worries on friends and family yet there's no perfect answer because we all ask ourselves the same question sometimes we manage to get our hands on a temporary answer that keeps us going for a little while but at other times our anxiety gets the better of us.

I know that wasn't quite the helpful answer you were looking for but we are all going through the same thing and I know exactly how to be stuck in an endless nightmare it's been 8 years for me so just hang on and hope for the best also I know some people who suffered from acne for years but eventually their journey ended unexpectedly and living with acne free skin for years now.

Kay789 liked
MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 09/25/2014 12:20 pm

i've struggled aggressively with acne for the last 12 years or so.

I have not given up on getting rid of my acne - I am still trying everything I can.

However, I have not had clear skin in a very long time and it is unlikely that is going to change very soon.

I do research... I have lots of theories on how to clear my skin, and I am trying them systematically. What I need is advice on how to live with acne - how to not let acne control my life, how to not let it cause constant anxiety and depression, and how to be happy despite my skin.

I keep googling 'how to not let acne control my life' and 'how to live life despite bad skin' and things like that, but I just keep finding articles with amateur acne tips (like change your pillowcase every night - why did I not think of that? ).

Does anybody have any advice or resources on how to live with acne?

Additionally, has anyone consulted some sort of psychologist about this issue? If so, was it helpful?

Those are the wrong questions to ask. What you should ask is "Why do I let acne control my life?". I have talked to a psychologist and now I am diagnosed with mental disorders.

MemberMember
(@glitznzits)

Posted : 09/25/2014 1:33 pm

Hi Kay,

I know how you feel. I definitely let acne take over my life for a while there, and I regret having lost that time. Here are some of the things that helped me:

-When my breakouts were at their worst, I focused on other parts of my body--working out and getting in shape, treating myself to mani-pedis, shopping for new clothes, and working on my makeup and hair styling skills--if the rest of you looks and feels good, your skin can seem like less of an issue. I also know its easy to let the rest of yourself go when you feel bad about your skin and become a recluse, and having things to dress up for and go to made me feel better.

-Try to avoid the internet as much as possible, which is easier said than done. I like to use the AntiSocial and Freedom apps. Antisocial blocks social media and any sites you tell it to, Freedom blocks all internet so you can focus on work or school.

-Practicing mindfulness can help a lot, as can taking moments of reality-check to look at the bigger picture.

-I ultimately made the decision to try accutane after many years of unsuccessful treatment with literally every possible pharmaceutical and natural remedy currently available. I am currently struggling with some wonky eye side effects and I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue my course, but I'm quite happy with my results so far, and honestly wish my dermatologist had let me try it years ago. It's a bit scary, but it might be the only thing on the market that actually works.

Good luck!

Kay789 liked
MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 09/26/2014 3:46 am

MemberMember
(@expimpleface)

Posted : 10/16/2014 3:17 pm

I truly believe that humans can overcome any emotional obstacle. But through personal experience I know you don't have to live with acne or the emotional baggage that comes with it. Before the acne practice I felt hopeless there is a cure for acne

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/17/2014 7:16 am

You won't find much psychological advice on acne online (apart from forums like this one), but you could broaden your search to body/skin disorders/dysmorphia, and to positive thinking. I have been hearing repeatedly from people recently that negative thoughts attract negativity, so perhaps changing your outlook on life and yourself could help you improve your lifestyle. It's definitely not easy, since we are all socially conditioned to accept certain ideals as the "norm," so you will need to gradually re-train your brain to accept what you now see as a flawed version of yourself...and that version will then become the norm. You have to learn to accept imperfections and go about your life. If anyone judges you for it, then f**k them..it says more about them than you. Life is short, why live it in misery?