Notifications
Clear all

Social Anxiety Because Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@kittyvine1)

Posted : 09/20/2014 10:35 pm

I remember being this social butterfly two years ago. My skin was so clear.

Now I am this insecure girl who's too afraid to go to any social events, clubs, or meet new people. When I meet people, I'm so quiet and it usually results in the new person thinking I don't like them. I only go to social events if I know someone really well there. And when I do go, I stick with that person the whole time. I just get scared they're gonna notice the acne scars or acne bumps under my makeup :/

Anyone else feel this way?

BeepBopLettuce, Cheshire, bumpee and 2 people liked
MemberMember
(@mrlovalova)

Posted : 09/21/2014 3:21 pm

I can definitely relate to that to some extent.

in my acne (or at least worry) - free days i used to be outgoing and usually the centre of every social event or gathering of my friends.

nowadays it varies. i find that with people that know me from my pre acne days i'm still able to draw out those social skills. that is if i'm not in a terrible mood due to a more than average breakout, resulting in me giving excuses and skipping the event (which probably hurt my friendships the most) or just playing low-key, which at the beginning rewarded me with the "is everything alright?" questions, and now everybody just probably has me pegged as some bi-polar, sociopath type (not sure if it's not true anymore ).

meeting new people and making good first-impressions has definitely taken a turn for the worse ever since adult acne moved to my neighbourhood :(

i'm just happy studying at uni is forcing me to live amongst other breathing, living creatures...as hard as it gets sometimes, it's better than rotting and wasting my "good" years hiding away in my room back home.

anyways, i'm not sure how old you are or where you're at in your life right now, but let's hope for the sake of us we grow out of acne or our social anxieties soon :)

MemberMember
(@a97)

Posted : 11/26/2014 12:51 pm

Have you tried anything to treat your acne?

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 07/08/2015 11:15 am

Its hard. Sometimes I over think things and get scared to talk instead of speaking my mind. Its better if people don't like me when I'm being myself, than for people to don't like me because I'm a quiet weirdo. So fuck them, and let them dislike you.

MemberMember
(@jessicasaysmeow1)

Posted : 07/09/2015 1:13 pm

I will cancel plans if I feel particularly ugly that day... for example if can't cover my breakouts with makeup without it looking gross. I hide behind my hair and avoid eye contact and shorten conversations so people will stop looking at me.

MemberMember
(@gisselles02)

Posted : 07/13/2015 4:30 am

I can definitely 100 percent say that I am not as social as I used to be. Nowadays I can't even be around the people I live with. It's really bad.

MemberMember
(@lucky987)

Posted : 07/13/2015 7:48 pm

I dont feel my acne stops me from participating in any social activities, Im a very active person who has a good social lifestyle. The only time I seem to experience any form of social anxiety would be engaging with females that I am attracted too and has probably stopped me building or having relationships.

MemberMember
(@flowersfornina)

Posted : 07/15/2015 4:24 pm

I completely understand how you feel. &nbsp;I have pushed (and still do) a lot of people out of my life because of my skin. &nbsp;I've cancelled plans, called in sick, made unreasonable choices... I haven't been able to show &quot;myself&quot; completely. &nbsp;Acne restricts me but having a support system, my family and friends, has really helped me tremendously. &nbsp;They've stuck by me through my worst and I know that they have me around not because of my looks, but simply because of me, as a person. &nbsp;It's still incredibly hard for me to walk out in public confidently, to meet new people without thinking about how they might be judging my skin, and to go outside of my comfort zone. &nbsp;I've slowly been trying to push those thoughts away and have just been trying to enjoy myself freely because honestly life's way too damn short to live anxiously all the time. &nbsp;<br />

Cheshire liked
MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 07/15/2015 8:44 pm

Yep. Severe social anxiety.

I don't like to be around anyone. And when I do go out, all I do is stare at other people's clear skin and think how and why me.

MemberMember
(@jessicasaysmeow1)

Posted : 07/16/2015 9:24 am

I don't like to be around anyone. And when I do go out, all I do is stare at other people's clear skin and think how and why me.

I do the same thing! I look at how people have perfectly clear skin and don't even have to wear make up. I makes me so sad :( I'm always thinking that they can see my acne underneath my makeup, and then they are probably thinking how gross I look with all the make up on. Ugh...

MemberMember
(@bp300tye)

Posted : 07/16/2015 11:32 pm

don't forget these, we are always our own worst critic. you have acne, the acne does not have you.

MemberMember
(@miloish)

Posted : 07/17/2015 2:12 pm

i have become a very insecure and unhappy person.

I have always been nice to people, helpful and considerate to others. but again and again people disappoint me. they will be so-called "friends" to me but they will stil at some point or another make some general comments about my skin to me or to others.

when I am misunderstood by others, and others want to hurt me, they have and know what they can do to hurt me. I do not understand why I deserve this

bumpee and megancm09 liked
MemberMember
(@megancm09)

Posted : 07/20/2015 9:20 pm

I relate so much to this it's crazy. I've always been the one comfortable with putting myself out there but ever since my 16th birthday, and my skin has gotten incredibly bad, all of my self confidence has dropped. Of course I've never had super clear skin, maybe a pimple or two but never as crazy as my face now. I am now scared to even look people in the eye or talk to people because I don't want to be looked at. It's really tough

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 07/24/2015 1:08 am

Ugh yes. Through the years my confidence goes up and down, but I am always a steady self conscience about my face. Even when I am having a good skin day or months....its hard dating for me because I always think about if things ever get serious they will be shocked as to what my face looks like without makeup so I end up sabotaging relationships because i am self conscience of how I really look without my acne being covered with makeup.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 07/24/2015 3:21 am

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I ressurrected this post!

I just wanted to add, I've been hanging out with a certain group. I've been super anxious at our meetings, and one meeting, I barely talked, and when I did, I made myself look stupid. Yet it's not as bad with family.

Then this week I had this really ugly wound on my face that was left by a cyst, so I sat at the end of the table so only the person to my right could see it. I was feeling so anxious and self concious about it. Then the person who liked me the most came in and sat in that seat, so she had a close up view. I immediately grew super anxious, but then something happened. I accepted the fact that she would have to see my disgusted acne and live with it from now. Now she sees a part of me that I've been trying to hide for so long, and now I can be relieved that everyone knows this is how it is. Finally, I found some comfort. I realized the reason I was comfortable around my friends and fam is because I forced them to get familiar with and accept my acne. Now it's starting to be like when I'm with my friends as far as comfort goes.

This was the reason I posted on here. I'm not gonna take up anymore space, but just really wanted to share!

MemberMember
(@robert6524)

Posted : 07/25/2015 10:26 pm

Yes, definitely . I never want to go out because of my acne and scars . I have this raised scar on the left side of my neck right under my ear and I am very self conscious about it . I can't have someone be to the left side of where I'm standing because I'm afraid their going to see it . Especially if I get a pimple right underneath the scar it becomes 2x bigger .

I still try my best though to just suck it up and have fun . I can't have acne dictate my life anymore . I have to accept what it is and just enjoy life because I'm not getting any younger. Be strong and good luck !

MemberMember
(@cheese84)

Posted : 12/19/2015 3:15 pm

I know this is an old thread but i came across it and relate to it so much. I've been struggling with acne for 15+ years now. I remember in high school going home during my lunch break and scrubbing my face and just sobbing as I looked at myself in the mirror. And that has continued into adulthood.My skin has gotten worse and worse with age. I just turned 31. I never thought I would still be dealing with acne at this age. It is now cystic acne and causing huge scars. A good day for me is waking up with less than 7 pimples. I hate looking at myself in the mirror even with makeup on Because even then when the sunlight (or any light) hits my face in the wrong way, I can see everything. Every bump, every scar, the layers and layers of make up. It makes my stomach sink. It is all I think about. Figuring out which seat I should sit in when I'm out with friends so that the sunlight doesnt hit my face. Which side to part my hair on so the really bad side of my face is covered up. I feel like I am constantly noticing where people are looking at my face. When I can tell they are looking at a giant pimple I have,i quickly change the subject to something that distracts their attention elsewhere. I don't like meeting new people because I get so anxious that they're just noticing my terrible skin and find me disgusting and don't want to talk to me anymore. This has become an even biggerproblem because I am 31 and single which is another crush to my ego. I don't want to go on dates because I feel too ugly and feel like the person will be embarrassed to be out with me. I don't like going out with certain friends because I am so jealous of their flawless skin that I just get in a bad mood and want to go home anyway. I spend most of my time looking at people's skin and wishing it was mine and wondering why I am stuck with severe adult acne. When I see an otherwise beautiful lady with problem skin, I immediately feel for them. I get into their head and wonder if they hate the way they look as much as I hate the way I look. I spend so much of my time focusing on my acne, it has begun to take over my conversations with the friends i feel comfortable talking about it with. I can see them getting bored. They don't get what it's like to truly hate yourself for something you can't control. It has reallymade me not only hate my looks but hate myself. I don't feel good enough for anyone. I am getting to the point that I feel like even my friends who love me are embarrassed to introduce me to people because I'm so ugly. I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 12/19/2015 5:01 pm

I can also relate to what everyone has said in this topic. I used tothink i wasthe only one who felt so awful about my skin and in social situations but its been interestingto see how similar my feelingsare to others on this site. Although i dont like to hear of others suffering as i do, there is a kind of comfort to feeling you're not alone.

I live by myself and being alone is the only time i feel at ease. I've never been in a relationship and dont think i ever will be because of my skin.

I dont think most people comprehend the enormous pyschological impact acne has on someone.

Cheese84 liked
MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 12/20/2015 3:15 pm

On 16 July 2015 0247, holdingontohope said:

I do this!

I literally look at everyone else's skin and try to find as many flaws as I can to make me feel better about my reddened ugly face .. Haha .. :( it doesn't usually work out well.

although on a rare moment I will see someone with similar/worse skin who is happy and wonder just how they manage to not care. I totally understand it'a a superficial problem compared to others but it effects me endelessly

Cheese84 and Awkw.ard liked
MemberMember
(@awkw-ard)

Posted : 12/21/2015 3:21 pm

I'm going through the same thing right now and it's soul destroying, when I go out I just feel as if everyone is looking at me and I lose my confidence. I don't know how to get through it.

Cheese84 and bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@nbar)

Posted : 05/30/2016 1:46 am

On 19/12/2015 at 7:15 AM, Cheese84 said:

I know this is an old thread but i came across it and relate to it so much. I've been struggling with acne for 15+ years now. I remember in high school going home during my lunch break and scrubbing my face and just sobbing as I looked at myself in the mirror. And that has continued into adulthood.My skin has gotten worse and worse with age. I just turned 31. I never thought I would still be dealing with acne at this age. It is now cystic acne and causing huge scars. A good day for me is waking up with less than 7 pimples. I hate looking at myself in the mirror even with makeup on Because even then when the sunlight (or any light) hits my face in the wrong way, I can see everything. Every bump, every scar, the layers and layers of make up. It makes my stomach sink. It is all I think about. Figuring out which seat I should sit in when I'm out with friends so that the sunlight doesnt hit my face. Which side to part my hair on so the really bad side of my face is covered up. I feel like I am constantly noticing where people are looking at my face. When I can tell they are looking at a giant pimple I have,i quickly change the subject to something that distracts their attention elsewhere. I don't like meeting new people because I get so anxious that they're just noticing my terrible skin and find me disgusting and don't want to talk to me anymore. This has become an even biggerproblem because I am 31 and single which is another crush to my ego. I don't want to go on dates because I feel too ugly and feel like the person will be embarrassed to be out with me. I don't like going out with certain friends because I am so jealous of their flawless skin that I just get in a bad mood and want to go home anyway. I spend most of my time looking at people's skin and wishing it was mine and wondering why I am stuck with severe adult acne. When I see an otherwise beautiful lady with problem skin, I immediately feel for them. I get into their head and wonder if they hate the way they look as much as I hate the way I look. I spend so much of my time focusing on my acne, it has begun to take over my conversations with the friends i feel comfortable talking about it with. I can see them getting bored. They don't get what it's like to truly hate yourself for something you can't control. It has reallymade me not only hate my looks but hate myself. I don't feel good enough for anyone. I am getting to the point that I feel like even my friends who love me are embarrassed to introduce me to people because I'm so ugly. I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I know this is an old thread but this pretty much sounds exactly like me. I can't believe I'm still dealing with this at 31 years of age when almost everyone else outgrew it in their teens.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/17/2016 8:05 pm

The older I get the more having acne upsets me. Teenagers are supposed to get acne (though lucky ones don't)...I'm 32 and I still am dealing with this when I should be worrying about wrinkle prevention. I really don't understand why in most cases, after puberty peoples hormones settle and their acne goes away but with adults with acne, they just...don't. I'm so tired of thinking of acne and planning around acne and freaking missing out on life.
i don't even have a job and I have no idea if I'll get one because my confidence is destroyed.
I can be good for a while, no new break outs them all of a sudden, several red painful itchy bumps. Fuck acne.

A1ONE liked